Major degree requirements ask for a lot of electives that have nothing to do with my major. Some of the classes are in the upper levels and makes no sense to me since I wasn't required to take any other courses to lead up to that course.

Academic advising, most of the counselors are available at all times.

Professors are always able to contact through email or office hours and are more than likely to meet anytime to discuss class issues.

Study abroad are available.

Workload, some courses require a lot of reading and homework. Balancing five classes is a bit difficult depending on the courses. I've been taking five since I started to attend UH and the homework is piling up.

Application

Dorm was not good for grad students, because young people like to have party...

I had an interview with Chair before I applied to school. It was very effective to discuss what I would learn at UHM. When I applied to school there, it was very smooth for the admission process. After one semester, they gave me a tuition waver because I had a good GPA. It was very helpful for me because I am an international.

2004 or earlier

I liked everything!

I liked the library the most.

It was just good for me.

2006

Applying to the school was simple, and it take long for a response. I initially applied for architecture. When I got accepted to UH-Manoa, I had to do another admissions process for the School of Architecture. I had to make a portfolio, write an essay, and had an interview with the dean of the School of Architecture. I was accepted and was very happy. I always received financial aid. It is very easy to apply for it but somewhat annoying to turn in documents to the office. The financial aid office at UH-Manoa has employees who work really slowly and don't realize there are people waiting. They have a phone, but they don't answer it. It takes a long time just to turn in documents.

Other

Class sizes are variable, from 20 to 200. GenEd requirements are adequate for completion of any degree. Professors, those whom I've taken classes from, are helpful and fair graders. Faculty to student ratio is slightly unusual but it is expected in this economy. Opportunities to study abroad are wide-ranged. Student workload is sometimes hefty because they juggle outside activities s/a paid work, sports, extracurriculars, etc. Research opportunities vary throughout the colleges within the University but is not required.

The cost of living in Honolulu is constantly rising. With that come a rise in cost at the Univerity. Overall, though, I am still quite impressed at the mark of what the University still makes even win a difficult situation. Crime and safety is also a top priority at the University. There are always reports of incidents through mass email or the local newspaper. Facilities are generally upkept as they should be, but there are also some crumbling structures that need more maintenance.

Admission to the University was a fairly simple process. You would have your paperwork filled out and turned in to the Admissions Office. Decisions were made within a few weeks or more (depending on the individual's circumstances). Once you have recieved approval from the University, you are presented with options to attend an orientation that include a tour of the campus, or additional information that jump-start your career at the University.

For MA prog: I had to write a non thesis MA paper, took 36 credits for my course work.

for PhD prg I had to write a dissertation, take course works and do research in the college as an RA.

My dept has notable faculty member Dr. Ronald Heck and I am so glad I took his great courses.

happy overall

I had to write essays and submitted to apply for IFP scholarship, yet i did not apply directly to UHM. The process was done by my scholarship coordinators at the East West Center.

2009

PHD requirements are difficult. The dissertation requires dedication.

Wonderful place. Good variety of food, recreation and social life

Interviews, application process & financial aid

2009

I haven't experienced any of the above because I earned my degrees through and extension program. This allows us to take course offered by the university through either local or on campus teachers. Sometimes they would travel to teach our course and other times we would do it online via Skype.

The admission process was a challenge because not only did we have to convince the UH board for acceptance but we also had to go through our local scholarship board for reviews and interviews. In addition there were essays to be submitted for personal information, background, and beliefs.

major degree

academic advising

application

I liked having the advising sheet available. This really helped me decide what I needed to take. The only problem is, I ran into a lot of people who didn't have advising sheets. So I think it's important for advisors to hand them out. In regards to the rest of academics, I totally felt great about the class sizes and accessiblity of my professors. They were always willing to clarify something or casually discuss a topic further. THis made me want to learn more about my classes.

I had no problems with any of these things because I was able to participate in the unique Outreach Program. This was extremely beneficial for me and my colleagues living abroad in American Samoa.