off island studies/distance learning, writing intensive, 2 years of classroom observation/experiences

test scores - application -essay for acceptance justification - interview for Bachelor of elmentary education cohort

The wireless internet is fantasy.

Due to recent budget cuts, classes are becoming larger and sections are being cut, but I have not had a problem finding classes to make the perfect schedule. The classes are pretty easy because the class sizes are relatively small and there is more focus put on each individual student.

I have never lived on campus, but I do know that it is difficult to find on-campus housing because of the number of students versus the number of housing available. There are a lot of apartment complexes right off campus that offer good amenities for their price. The campus has a small environment and you often see people you know regularly. There is plenty of open areas to sit and lay or do homework, which is my favorite thing about campus.

They are very good at giving an admission decision promptly. The application is very simple to fill out and does not take much time. Financial aid takes a little bit of time to process, but I'm sure that is the case with most schools.

Out of all my friends at neighboring schools, my school appears to be the most challenging-always occupied with some work to do.

I have not yet been on the campus to experience all of what goes on.

The admissions process is very simple if one follows the step by step directions registered through the UHM website.

Other

Oceanography Dept has great accessibility of professors and research opportunities.

Common Application, financial aid and scholarship opportunities

2008

Excellent faculty, challenging classes relivent to career choice

Classes were mostly online. But facilities are excellent. Well maintained and up to date

Essay, interview, GPA

2006

I lived of campus and was lucky to find a room that I could afford to rent. The cost of housing was the biggest cost. Overall, I enjoyed my time in Hawaii and at UH Manoa.

Application for graduate studies and an application to the actual program. It included an essay, letters of recommendation, and transcripts.

2005

general requirement and core classes aren't all that great, and a couple of teachers in the business college are questionable. but for the students that want a good education, you know which teachers to take and which ones to stay away from. therefore, i'm giving the rating according to the teachers that actually know what they're doing.

major requirements are fair, but the core requirements are ridiculous. there are so many classes that can apply to different requirements and you usually end up taking a class to cover a requirement, then find out later you could have double-dipped multiple requirements with a similar class. general academic advisors (for students unsure of what they're majoring in) aren't that good. they're very vague and don't really point you in a direction, they just give a list of classes that can be used and for which requirements. i think the average time of graduating for UH students is between 5 and 7 years somewhere. they should do something about that by having more specific tracks or something.

the writing intensive requirement is stupid. you must take 5 designated writing intensive classes but they must be in the UH system. i took writing classes at another university with a great english and journalism school, yet they refused to honor them because they were "outside of the UH system." they value their own requirements higher than other schools' when some of these other schools are ones whose leads they should be following.

it's expensive. some buildings are run down, but certain colleges have done a good job of renovating and keeping things up to date. hamilton library is amazing. there are occasionally crimes, but security emails the entire faculty and staff of every incident so the school knows what is going on and what to look out for. weather is generally great and the student population is generally happy.

Some general requirements are ridiculous. Major degree requirements were easy to fulfill and academic advising every semester helped a great deal.

Easy. Just the application form online and submitting high school transcripts.

2009

Class sizes are very small which is wonderful. The only classes that are big, too big, are ones that are a core requirement for most majors like MATH 100. The faculty is always more than willing to help you and most if not all professors and teachers offer flexible office hours for you to come in and ask questions. There are numerous booths set up on campus during the beginning of each semester, that provide you with information and opportunity for study abroad. I would consider the grading to be very fair for the most part and the workload, at least for basic classes, is not unreasonable.

I absolutely LOVE going to school at the University of Hawaii at Manoa. It is safe for the most part and all of the facilities are readily available.

Fill out an application form and send it in. Get transcripts from the institution that I had most recently attended sent to the UHM offices.