good weather, nice people. low crime, but HIGH prices of food, rent, living

I took a second language studies focus to teach English as a second language. It is a very good program and it helped me learn how to teach before traveling overseas and teaching ESL. UH was great, just stay focussed and it will take you to another level of enjoyment in life.

It's great

It was a an easy going application process. I had to get 21 tansferable credits to attend the UH Manoa before being accepted. After that it was just trying to stay focussed with all the distracting and beautiful people at this college.

2009

It's a simple application.

The academics are great! The general requirements are fair, class sizes not too many people in small classes, professors and TA's are accessible, not too competitive, grading is very fair and the workload isn't more then the average.

This year housing was hard to find because some of the dorms are being renovated. So as a result on-campus living was hard to find. The cost of living to expensive because we live in Hawaii, its high for everyone. Crime is low and overall happiness is a given, we're in Hawaii!

I believe the admissions process was fairly normal comparied to most colleges. I'm a transfer student so I didn't have to write an essay or do an interview. The application was clear cut and pretty common.

Large class sizes, simple general requirement and core classes, simple degree requirements/ pre-requisites, academic advising mandatory for first 2 years of school, many research opportunities, many study abroad opportunites, etc.

Housing (dorms) expenses are cheaper than mainland colleges, yet opportunities of being RA members (living on campus for free by working) available, dining hall is satisfactory, gym facilities could be better, campus security is good, very safe.

Simple application questions, application process confusions.

Academic advising (at law school) is virtually nil. Accessibility of some professors is okay, like any other law school. Students are highly competitive yet pretend not to be.

It's Hawaii, so you can't complain too much.

For the law school: 1. Take the LSAT test, and do what's needed to register with the LSAC. 2. Write a personal statement (don't worry about the 2-page limit, you can go over. Mine was 4). 3. Fill out your application. 4. Mail it in. 5. Wait with your fingers crossed.

Here at the University of Hawaii, the goal expected to be reached by all its graduates is to be global contributors in any field that they pursue. However, there is a focus on Pacific and Asian culture. Certain classes are exceptionally large, lecture classes, but from what I've heard, it is not uncommon to have upwards of 150 students in a 100 level lecture class. I personally began at one of the seven state community colleges affiliated with the University of Hawaii, and am used to smaller class sizes (roughly 15-25 students).

This summer I'll be participating in an Archaeology field school in Guam, which I think is way totally awesome. So yes the school has study abroad opportunities. I'm also entertaining the idea of spending a semester in Japan and taking a few classes that are taught in Japanese, but we'll see how that goes.

The Campus Center cafe has some pretty okay food--I usually only get breakfast, if I get anything at all. They also have some franchise restaurants (i.e., Subway, Jamba Juice, etc.). The campus is relatively safe; we get text alerts (or via email) when there is an incident. There are emergency phones (blue phones) all around campus and security guards that make rounds and are available to pick you up and drop you off in the university area if you want. All the clubs I know of are extremely community service related--I'm in one. There is one campus library that is open pretty much 24/7 (but it's closed for about 8 hours on Sundays).

The University of Hawaii is a state run university whose sole purpose, I believe, is to provide educational opportunities to all who want to gain the benefits that a higher education provides. However, it is my understanding that they have higher admission standards for prospective students who are not citizens, or military dependents, of the State of Hawaii.

I haven't taken classes at other schools but classes are pretty easy. All we have to do is do the reading and fully understand it and we're successful.

cost of living is expensive, but reasonable on campus. I love living in the atmosphere.

there weren't really any.. I just submitted everything and I was accepted a month or so later.

The general requirements have many options to choose from for certain areas of study. Core classes were easy nad relatively average in size. Academic advising was always available. Professors weren't always readily available for help. Grading was mostly fair for all classes. Competitiveness was fierce for my program.

The campus is fairly nice, though there is always construction going on. Some of the buildings are old and need to be remodeled. The libraries are old in some areas, sometimes not so safe at night time. The neighborhood is friendly, minus the occurences of theft. I give UHM a 7/10 rating on overall happiness.

Typical application questions. For my specific program, the interview, essay, and application process worked hand-in-hand with each other. The decision time is takes too long.

Transfering student from a community college in the same state so it was not hard.