Art program studio faculty are great. Major degree requirements are doable, academic advising mandatory, class size is good, accessibility of professors great.

Essays, application

Classes can range from a very intimate setting of less than 20 to over 150 students in a lecture.

As a marine bio major, I am not very happy with the requirements. Chemistry, biochemistry and organic chemistry are understandable, however, a year of calculus and physics are also required, as is a semester of business or agricultural statistics, and that seems very superfluous and not overly relevant to the major, in my opinion.

Our faculty involved in scientific research is amazing. I am very pleased to be working beside Dr. Bruce Houghton on a project and to be learning from him. We have faculty who have done very well known work in their fields, especially those in the geology & geophysics department, zoology, oceanography, and marine biology. Not only are many of our faculty members well known and respected, they are also very easily accessible to students, and are generally always interested in helping their students succeed.

The dorms are old, bug infested (we do live in Hawaii, so it is understandable), and just a tad uncomfortable. The cost is just a little ridiculous, and Dog the Bounty Hunter visits the apartments right off of campus regularly. As bad as this sounds, the two years that I have lived in the dorms have been the two best years of my life.

Our libraries are amazing, and the food around campus is great.

Honestly, the application for UH reminded me of the application for community college I filled out in high school. I didn't have to write an essay, there was no interview, and I'm not sure if they take early applications into consideration.

General graduation requirements are broad and time consuming. Many students I know take more than the traditional four years to graduate due to these requirements, which can be confusing to fully understand as a newly admitted freshman despite academic advising. Class sizes ranges from 150+ to less than 20. Study abroad opportunities and related scholarships and financial aids are readily available. Grading and professor accessibility depends on departments and individual professors.

For resident students, there was a short application. There are no essay questions on the application. I did not have to go through an interviewing process. Selection seemed to depend on grades and SAT/ACT scores.

Financial aid and scholarship opportunities were abundant.

I had to take a wide range of classes before i could get into the Shidler School of Business. The environment here is not so competitive because the instructors seem to worry about research more than academics.

Housing is expensive and the meal plans are expensive. I pay over two thousand for the dorms, but the dorms are pretty hold and need improvements.

I applied as a transfer.I really don't remember the questions that i had to answer in the application. However, i filled out an application, submitted my transcript, and waited for an acceptance letter.

Average work load and academics

5 minute application

Its okay, too much Writing intensive classes. Some teacher don't care.

Not bad, food is good. housing is bad.

apply, sats

2009

Test scores, letters of rec., online app. Not much effort

Huge variation amongst professors. Some were outstanding, others were so out of date the class was a complete waste of time. The b school needs to evaluate whether profs are able to teach concepts necessary for MBA success. Class sizes were great, many electives had less than a dozen students. Profs were very accessible and taught every class, no teaching assistants in the classroom at this b school.

Good due to proximity to Waikiki, but little of interest in school's neighborhood. Large percentage of commuters on campus. Area is safe, weather is great.

Standard. Many online forms had to be printed to be completed, online process needs updating. Rolling admissions process provided very quick response to application, received approval in less than two weeks.

2007

gen eds are out of control. there are way to many.

application and fee

The advisors are very helpful in my major department, however it was not required to see an advisor when I was first accepted. I believe they are now, it would have helped to see one when I was a freshman. Lecture classes can range from 50 to 300 students and labs normally have 20-30 students.

The library is very useful and convenient. It is open weekdays for 24 hours. They also offer many programs such as tutoring and workshops.

I applied online and did not have to write an essay. It was fairly easy.