“Very Well Rounded School”
October 2015CURRENT STUDENT

UD is what I always pictured a college to be like. We have a beautiful green lined with old brick buildings. We have Main Street running through campus for all of your food or alcohol related needs. We have a solid business school.

Parking can be difficult, like with most schools I know of. Some administrative staff can be very unhelpful at times.

Comments

Come to UD if you want a well-balanced college experience and you want to leave as a well-rounded individual.

All major classes require a C- or better for credit, some additional classes that are very related will also require a grade of C- for credit. Research is a big part of most BS degrees and is encouraged. Study abroad is also very big here. However, I have heard that a semester abroad is academically easier than a semester on campus. Normal class load is 15-17 credits. Excellent professors in every department I have dealt with.

Most on campus housing options were very close to the central campus. There is a few areas that have lots of affordable dining options. Cost of living is kind of high but not in relation to a major city. The school dining hall is not good at all. Safety is great. I have never felt unsafe traveling any where on my campus during the day or at night.

Early decision was an option when I applied, and the Common Application never was. I don't quite remember the essay questions but they were the biggest thing to stress over because it was my way of standing out.

Delaware has a wide array of study abroad opportunities which several of my friends have applied for. They are somewhat selective, but very worthwhile. Workload can be very heavy or somewhat light, depending on your major and your desired GPA. I am a history education major, and I have a B average. I do about 6-7 hours of homework a week. Most of my time is spent reading. I could try harder and spend more time to get better grades, but I am satisfied with my performance thus far, and I have a very active social life... So there's that. I also can remember facts quite easily, so I don't study too much for exams. As far as faculty goes, Delaware has a wide selection of professors with significant notoriety. Ellis Wasson, for example, is a world renowned expert on Winton Churchill, so he teaches a fascinating class on Churchill as a historical figure. This is just an example of one single professor - I have had many in several different departments. I have never had a problem with any professor's grading at Delaware. General requirements and core classes all make sense, but it is a common trend for students at Delaware to have to do an extra semester, especially if they have switched majors. Delaware really wants you to pack in your education, as as long as you don't **** up, you should be able to get it done. Class size can get big, depending on the lecture halls you get, but I never found it a problem (coming from a high school class of 300). Professors generally always are willing to help you with anything - advising, school work, or otherwise. I have heard of a few douche bags, but they are few and far between, and easy to avoid.

Housing is veryyyy nice. ****inson is the crappiest dorm on campus, but one of the most fun. The nicer they get, the less fun they are. The school is pretty strict, once you get in trouble, you really have to be careful as it is very easy to get kicked out. But the facilities are very nice - some dorms have baby grand pianos. If you live on campus and have a meal plan, you're pretty much always satisfied. Living off campus is much more fun though, but gets a bit costlier. Delaware's campus is ABSOLUTELY beautiful, especially during the spring. It can get pretty rainy sometimes, but it is SO worth it to be able to enjoy the awesomeness of the springs there. Every facility on Delaware's campus is very nice, they've been paying a lot for new construction and upping their campus standards. The library is huge, a little more dated than the other buildings on campus, but it's perfect for Delaware. The town of Newark isn't bad. Main Street is gorgeous and there's lots to do on it. There's plenty of different dining opportunities, and there's a bunch of really fun bars. Still, Newark townies really hate the college students, and muggings and other crimes are sadly, somewhat common, depending where you are on/near campus. The Newark police also try desperately to do anything to get your money, so whenever you see them, watch out. Other than that, police officers know there is a problem with townies and students and they work to be aware of this, although they could be doing more, in my mind.

I heard it's significantly harder to get in when you apply as an undecided major. I applied with a major, and luckily got in. My SAT score was 1180 (old version, 1700 something in the new version), and my high school GPA was a 3.3. I've heard that it has only gotten harder to get in since I applied.

General requirements are usually larger classes, though I have had very few lecture-hall classes, especially considering the size of the University. Professors are great, they are fair, accessible, and hold students accountable. They are eager to try new technology as long as it benefits students. Major degree requirements make students exceptionally prepared for the "real world;" especially in the Hotel/Restaurant/Institutional Management major. I did participate in a study abroad, as did most of my friends. It was one of the best experiences of my life.

I believe there is a Common App available, but I chose the University's app. I believe they removed their early decision acceptance. There was an essay, and additional application including another essay for the Honors program, into which I was accepted.

a Lot of general breadth requirements

Very small classes for honors courses, english courses, language courses, high level courses, large classes for core classes

Competitive but friendly

All students get an academic advisor that they can change if they aren't happy with

Professors are extremely accessible, friendly and helpful

Huge endowment and TONS of undergraduate research opportunities including paid summer, winter, thesis, and travel stipends

Lots of interesting classes like racquetball, figure skating, history of rock, Classical Mythology, and honors colloquia and capstone courses in classes like the art of medicine, CHocolate, Creativity in Science

TONS of reasonably priced study abroad opportunities for all different majors on all 7 continents

Writing Fellows and peer tutoring provided for all honors program students

Dorms were fun but small and hot, new dorms built recently are beautiful though

Library and facilities/gym and classrooms are great

Public safety and newark police do a VERY POOR job of prioritizing for student safety

Extra essay and questions for students applying to the honors program- but definitely worth it. Common application. Pretty decent financial aid and scholarships

2008

Business Education was a major available at that time -- no longer available.

Application process

2004 or earlier

Awesome

2008

I am a part of the business program at our school. They require us to take a ridiculous amount of General education courses before we take actual core business classes. This is not beneficial in the sense that you will not know exactly what field you would like to go into until second semester of your sophomore year, and at that point it is too late to switch majors and graduate on time. I did, however, like the BUAD 110 First Year Experience Business class we took first semester of Freshman year.

Housing was always good. Very good social life freshman year. The on-campus apartment I lived in sophomore year was a palace compared to the dingy dorm I lived in freshman year. There was a train that went by my window 15 times a day and no AC. The dining halls were good, but they did not have enough healthy choices. I have always felt safe living on campus.

I wrote my essay about a significant experience in my life that helped me to become who I am. I think it was part of the Common Application. I work in the admissions office, however, and I think our application process is pretty selective and very well organized.

Core classes are difficult, once hit Junior year major classes not as bad. Many study abroad opportunities and it is very encouraged. Academic advising is lacking, and many do not know what they are talking about/are not helpful. Grading is generally fair.

Dorms are not too bad, most are pretty social especially freshman year. Campus buildings are fairly nice, the library kinda sucks though. The cost of living is reasonable, and varies depending on location and size like you would expect. Crime isn't too bad, but there are alot of "townies" (young 18-28 year old people who live in town but don't go to school) who sometimes crash parties and cause unnecessary issues around campus. Overall though the party atmosphere is good and UD is alot of fun.

Normal admissions process, questions similar to other state universities I applied to.

Excellent dining and dorms, library

safe, little crime - just a great place to go to college

2004 or earlier