“Very Well Rounded School”
October 2015CURRENT STUDENT

UD is what I always pictured a college to be like. We have a beautiful green lined with old brick buildings. We have Main Street running through campus for all of your food or alcohol related needs. We have a solid business school.

Parking can be difficult, like with most schools I know of. Some administrative staff can be very unhelpful at times.

Comments

Come to UD if you want a well-balanced college experience and you want to leave as a well-rounded individual.

Breadth Requirements - required for all majors

Each major has required courses. Class sizes range from 15-25 students on average.

Housing can be handled better including the cost of living. The surrounding neighborhood consists of mostly college students.

Common Application, Supplement Application, Early Action, Regular Decision

very nice... safe

2015

UD seems to be getting more and more selective, they make you submit SATs or ACTs and an essay. They will also make you write an essay to justify any grades below a C.

Awesome

2008

Delaware has a wide array of study abroad opportunities which several of my friends have applied for. They are somewhat selective, but very worthwhile. Workload can be very heavy or somewhat light, depending on your major and your desired GPA. I am a history education major, and I have a B average. I do about 6-7 hours of homework a week. Most of my time is spent reading. I could try harder and spend more time to get better grades, but I am satisfied with my performance thus far, and I have a very active social life... So there's that. I also can remember facts quite easily, so I don't study too much for exams. As far as faculty goes, Delaware has a wide selection of professors with significant notoriety. Ellis Wasson, for example, is a world renowned expert on Winton Churchill, so he teaches a fascinating class on Churchill as a historical figure. This is just an example of one single professor - I have had many in several different departments. I have never had a problem with any professor's grading at Delaware. General requirements and core classes all make sense, but it is a common trend for students at Delaware to have to do an extra semester, especially if they have switched majors. Delaware really wants you to pack in your education, as as long as you don't **** up, you should be able to get it done. Class size can get big, depending on the lecture halls you get, but I never found it a problem (coming from a high school class of 300). Professors generally always are willing to help you with anything - advising, school work, or otherwise. I have heard of a few douche bags, but they are few and far between, and easy to avoid.

Housing is veryyyy nice. **** is the crappiest dorm on campus, but one of the most fun. The nicer they get, the less fun they are. The school is pretty strict, once you get in trouble, you really have to be careful as it is very easy to get kicked out. But the facilities are very nice - some dorms have baby grand pianos. If you live on campus and have a meal plan, you're pretty much always satisfied. Living off campus is much more fun though, but gets a bit costlier. Delaware's campus is ABSOLUTELY beautiful, especially during the spring. It can get pretty rainy sometimes, but it is SO worth it to be able to enjoy the awesomeness of the springs there. Every facility on Delaware's campus is very nice, they've been paying a lot for new construction and upping their campus standards. The library is huge, a little more dated than the other buildings on campus, but it's perfect for Delaware. The town of Newark isn't bad. Main Street is gorgeous and there's lots to do on it. There's plenty of different dining opportunities, and there's a bunch of really fun bars. Still, Newark townies really hate the college students, and muggings and other crimes are sadly, somewhat common, depending where you are on/near campus. The Newark police also try desperately to do anything to get your money, so whenever you see them, watch out. Other than that, police officers know there is a problem with townies and students and they work to be aware of this, although they could be doing more, in my mind.

I heard it's significantly harder to get in when you apply as an undecided major. I applied with a major, and luckily got in. My SAT score was 1180 (old version, 1700 something in the new version), and my high school GPA was a 3.3. I've heard that it has only gotten harder to get in since I applied.

General requirements are usually larger classes, though I have had very few lecture-hall classes, especially considering the size of the University. Professors are great, they are fair, accessible, and hold students accountable. They are eager to try new technology as long as it benefits students. Major degree requirements make students exceptionally prepared for the "real world;" especially in the Hotel/Restaurant/Institutional Management major. I did participate in a study abroad, as did most of my friends. It was one of the best experiences of my life.

I believe there is a Common App available, but I chose the University's app. I believe they removed their early decision acceptance. There was an essay, and additional application including another essay for the Honors program, into which I was accepted.

Very good.

Nothing unique to the process, pretty typical compared to other colleges. More selective in the admissions but the process itself is standard.

2006

All major classes require a C- or better for credit, some additional classes that are very related will also require a grade of C- for credit. Research is a big part of most BS degrees and is encouraged. Study abroad is also very big here. However, I have heard that a semester abroad is academically easier than a semester on campus. Normal class load is 15-17 credits. Excellent professors in every department I have dealt with.

Most on campus housing options were very close to the central campus. There is a few areas that have lots of affordable dining options. Cost of living is kind of high but not in relation to a major city. The school dining hall is not good at all. Safety is great. I have never felt unsafe traveling any where on my campus during the day or at night.

Early decision was an option when I applied, and the Common Application never was. I don't quite remember the essay questions but they were the biggest thing to stress over because it was my way of standing out.

The academics were great at UD - the largest class size was 150 students, and that was only in a few classes (Psyc 100, General Bio/Chem) - most classes at UD had 20-40 students. Professors were very accessible and friendly, and always willing to help students. Degree requirements were reasonable and logical. There were lots of research opportunities and TONS of study abroad opportunities - you could go anywhere from England to New Zealand to Antarctica!

The residence halls are great and have very friendly and welcoming communities. I felt very safe on campus and never had any problems. The cost of living was reasonable, and the dining hall food, while not home-cooked food, was good. I was very happy on campus!

The application process was easy for UD - there were several essays that made you think, but overall the application was managable. UD has many scholarship opportunities for students, and I was lucky to be awarded several.

2008