“Very Well Rounded School”
October 2015CURRENT STUDENT

UD is what I always pictured a college to be like. We have a beautiful green lined with old brick buildings. We have Main Street running through campus for all of your food or alcohol related needs. We have a solid business school.

Parking can be difficult, like with most schools I know of. Some administrative staff can be very unhelpful at times.

Comments

Come to UD if you want a well-balanced college experience and you want to leave as a well-rounded individual.

very nice... safe

2015

UD seems to be getting more and more selective, they make you submit SATs or ACTs and an essay. They will also make you write an essay to justify any grades below a C.

Breadth Requirements - required for all majors

Each major has required courses. Class sizes range from 15-25 students on average.

Housing can be handled better including the cost of living. The surrounding neighborhood consists of mostly college students.

Common Application, Supplement Application, Early Action, Regular Decision

a Lot of general breadth requirements

Very small classes for honors courses, english courses, language courses, high level courses, large classes for core classes

Competitive but friendly

All students get an academic advisor that they can change if they aren't happy with

Professors are extremely accessible, friendly and helpful

Huge endowment and TONS of undergraduate research opportunities including paid summer, winter, thesis, and travel stipends

Lots of interesting classes like racquetball, figure skating, history of rock, Classical Mythology, and honors colloquia and capstone courses in classes like the art of medicine, CHocolate, Creativity in Science

TONS of reasonably priced study abroad opportunities for all different majors on all 7 continents

Writing Fellows and peer tutoring provided for all honors program students

Dorms were fun but small and hot, new dorms built recently are beautiful though

Library and facilities/gym and classrooms are great

Public safety and newark police do a VERY POOR job of prioritizing for student safety

Extra essay and questions for students applying to the honors program- but definitely worth it. Common application. Pretty decent financial aid and scholarships

2008

Business Education was a major available at that time -- no longer available.

Application process

2004 or earlier

The academics were great at UD - the largest class size was 150 students, and that was only in a few classes (Psyc 100, General Bio/Chem) - most classes at UD had 20-40 students. Professors were very accessible and friendly, and always willing to help students. Degree requirements were reasonable and logical. There were lots of research opportunities and TONS of study abroad opportunities - you could go anywhere from England to New Zealand to Antarctica!

The residence halls are great and have very friendly and welcoming communities. I felt very safe on campus and never had any problems. The cost of living was reasonable, and the dining hall food, while not home-cooked food, was good. I was very happy on campus!

The application process was easy for UD - there were several essays that made you think, but overall the application was managable. UD has many scholarship opportunities for students, and I was lucky to be awarded several.

2008

As with most other schools, alot of the introduction courses had larger class sizes. I have been in a few classes where there were about 30 students which wasn't that much different than high school. All Freshman are required to take English 110. Also students are required to take a multicultural course and a discovery learning course( which can be completed through study abroard). My academic advisor helped me decide what classes to take and was easily accessible through email or walk-in office hours. Although I haven't done study abroard yet, there are tons of opportunities for all majors to study abroard. Also alot of students take advantage of Delaware's winter "semester" to study aboard or take a few extra classes.

My dorm is really nice. It's close to the library, student center, and the academic buildings. I never feel unsafe walking around campus. If i ever did feel unsafe there are public safety escorts and a blue light system for emergencies. I am incredibly happy on campus!

I'm pretty sure I did the Common Application with a seperate supplement. The application was not that much different than most other applications I completed. There is a seperate application to be considered for honors program. There wasn't any interview.

All major classes require a C- or better for credit, some additional classes that are very related will also require a grade of C- for credit. Research is a big part of most BS degrees and is encouraged. Study abroad is also very big here. However, I have heard that a semester abroad is academically easier than a semester on campus. Normal class load is 15-17 credits. Excellent professors in every department I have dealt with.

Most on campus housing options were very close to the central campus. There is a few areas that have lots of affordable dining options. Cost of living is kind of high but not in relation to a major city. The school dining hall is not good at all. Safety is great. I have never felt unsafe traveling any where on my campus during the day or at night.

Early decision was an option when I applied, and the Common Application never was. I don't quite remember the essay questions but they were the biggest thing to stress over because it was my way of standing out.

General requirements are usually larger classes, though I have had very few lecture-hall classes, especially considering the size of the University. Professors are great, they are fair, accessible, and hold students accountable. They are eager to try new technology as long as it benefits students. Major degree requirements make students exceptionally prepared for the "real world;" especially in the Hotel/Restaurant/Institutional Management major. I did participate in a study abroad, as did most of my friends. It was one of the best experiences of my life.

I believe there is a Common App available, but I chose the University's app. I believe they removed their early decision acceptance. There was an essay, and additional application including another essay for the Honors program, into which I was accepted.