“Very Well Rounded School”
October 2015CURRENT STUDENT

UD is what I always pictured a college to be like. We have a beautiful green lined with old brick buildings. We have Main Street running through campus for all of your food or alcohol related needs. We have a solid business school.

Parking can be difficult, like with most schools I know of. Some administrative staff can be very unhelpful at times.

Comments

Come to UD if you want a well-balanced college experience and you want to leave as a well-rounded individual.

very nice... safe

2015

UD seems to be getting more and more selective, they make you submit SATs or ACTs and an essay. They will also make you write an essay to justify any grades below a C.

Breadth Requirements - required for all majors

Each major has required courses. Class sizes range from 15-25 students on average.

Housing can be handled better including the cost of living. The surrounding neighborhood consists of mostly college students.

Common Application, Supplement Application, Early Action, Regular Decision

very competitive, varying class sizes, huge opportunity to study abroad. tons of majors and minors, large general requirements

housing guaranteed, low crime, dining hall isn't great, great library, lovely campus, dining and housing somewhat pricey.

Common App with a supplement. Early date for honors and scholarship deadlines.

Very good.

Nothing unique to the process, pretty typical compared to other colleges. More selective in the admissions but the process itself is standard.

2006

All major classes require a C- or better for credit, some additional classes that are very related will also require a grade of C- for credit. Research is a big part of most BS degrees and is encouraged. Study abroad is also very big here. However, I have heard that a semester abroad is academically easier than a semester on campus. Normal class load is 15-17 credits. Excellent professors in every department I have dealt with.

Most on campus housing options were very close to the central campus. There is a few areas that have lots of affordable dining options. Cost of living is kind of high but not in relation to a major city. The school dining hall is not good at all. Safety is great. I have never felt unsafe traveling any where on my campus during the day or at night.

Early decision was an option when I applied, and the Common Application never was. I don't quite remember the essay questions but they were the biggest thing to stress over because it was my way of standing out.

As with most other schools, alot of the introduction courses had larger class sizes. I have been in a few classes where there were about 30 students which wasn't that much different than high school. All Freshman are required to take English 110. Also students are required to take a multicultural course and a discovery learning course( which can be completed through study abroard). My academic advisor helped me decide what classes to take and was easily accessible through email or walk-in office hours. Although I haven't done study abroard yet, there are tons of opportunities for all majors to study abroard. Also alot of students take advantage of Delaware's winter "semester" to study aboard or take a few extra classes.

My dorm is really nice. It's close to the library, student center, and the academic buildings. I never feel unsafe walking around campus. If i ever did feel unsafe there are public safety escorts and a blue light system for emergencies. I am incredibly happy on campus!

I'm pretty sure I did the Common Application with a seperate supplement. The application was not that much different than most other applications I completed. There is a seperate application to be considered for honors program. There wasn't any interview.

All the things named above are excellent at UD. The general requirements and core classes give good background knowledge & the degree requirements are interesting. There is plenty of academic advisement and the class sizes are reasonable. I like the professors a lot. Sometimes I get e-mails about research opportunities. I believe the grading is fair. I also have received e-mails about study abroad opportunities and I think that anyone who wants to study abroad could probably find an applicable trip to go on and get credit for and experience another country.

It is a very safe campus. It has everything. The library is wonderful. There are some really nice eateries like Panera Bread & Starbucks & Brew Ha Ha on Main Street.

essays, interviews, application

a Lot of general breadth requirements

Very small classes for honors courses, english courses, language courses, high level courses, large classes for core classes

Competitive but friendly

All students get an academic advisor that they can change if they aren't happy with

Professors are extremely accessible, friendly and helpful

Huge endowment and TONS of undergraduate research opportunities including paid summer, winter, thesis, and travel stipends

Lots of interesting classes like racquetball, figure skating, history of rock, Classical Mythology, and honors colloquia and capstone courses in classes like the art of medicine, CHocolate, Creativity in Science

TONS of reasonably priced study abroad opportunities for all different majors on all 7 continents

Writing Fellows and peer tutoring provided for all honors program students

Dorms were fun but small and hot, new dorms built recently are beautiful though

Library and facilities/gym and classrooms are great

Public safety and newark police do a VERY POOR job of prioritizing for student safety

Extra essay and questions for students applying to the honors program- but definitely worth it. Common application. Pretty decent financial aid and scholarships

2008