“Very Well Rounded School”
October 2015CURRENT STUDENT

UD is what I always pictured a college to be like. We have a beautiful green lined with old brick buildings. We have Main Street running through campus for all of your food or alcohol related needs. We have a solid business school.

Parking can be difficult, like with most schools I know of. Some administrative staff can be very unhelpful at times.

Comments

Come to UD if you want a well-balanced college experience and you want to leave as a well-rounded individual.

Breadth Requirements - required for all majors

Each major has required courses. Class sizes range from 15-25 students on average.

Housing can be handled better including the cost of living. The surrounding neighborhood consists of mostly college students.

Common Application, Supplement Application, Early Action, Regular Decision

UD seems to be getting more and more selective, they make you submit SATs or ACTs and an essay. They will also make you write an essay to justify any grades below a C.

very nice... safe

2015

General requirements are usually larger classes, though I have had very few lecture-hall classes, especially considering the size of the University. Professors are great, they are fair, accessible, and hold students accountable. They are eager to try new technology as long as it benefits students. Major degree requirements make students exceptionally prepared for the "real world;" especially in the Hotel/Restaurant/Institutional Management major. I did participate in a study abroad, as did most of my friends. It was one of the best experiences of my life.

I believe there is a Common App available, but I chose the University's app. I believe they removed their early decision acceptance. There was an essay, and additional application including another essay for the Honors program, into which I was accepted.

Business Education was a major available at that time -- no longer available.

Application process

2004 or earlier

a Lot of general breadth requirements

Very small classes for honors courses, english courses, language courses, high level courses, large classes for core classes

Competitive but friendly

All students get an academic advisor that they can change if they aren't happy with

Professors are extremely accessible, friendly and helpful

Huge endowment and TONS of undergraduate research opportunities including paid summer, winter, thesis, and travel stipends

Lots of interesting classes like racquetball, figure skating, history of rock, Classical Mythology, and honors colloquia and capstone courses in classes like the art of medicine, CHocolate, Creativity in Science

TONS of reasonably priced study abroad opportunities for all different majors on all 7 continents

Writing Fellows and peer tutoring provided for all honors program students

Dorms were fun but small and hot, new dorms built recently are beautiful though

Library and facilities/gym and classrooms are great

Public safety and newark police do a VERY POOR job of prioritizing for student safety

Extra essay and questions for students applying to the honors program- but definitely worth it. Common application. Pretty decent financial aid and scholarships

2008

All the things named above are excellent at UD. The general requirements and core classes give good background knowledge & the degree requirements are interesting. There is plenty of academic advisement and the class sizes are reasonable. I like the professors a lot. Sometimes I get e-mails about research opportunities. I believe the grading is fair. I also have received e-mails about study abroad opportunities and I think that anyone who wants to study abroad could probably find an applicable trip to go on and get credit for and experience another country.

It is a very safe campus. It has everything. The library is wonderful. There are some really nice eateries like Panera Bread & Starbucks & Brew Ha Ha on Main Street.

essays, interviews, application

The academics were great at UD - the largest class size was 150 students, and that was only in a few classes (Psyc 100, General Bio/Chem) - most classes at UD had 20-40 students. Professors were very accessible and friendly, and always willing to help students. Degree requirements were reasonable and logical. There were lots of research opportunities and TONS of study abroad opportunities - you could go anywhere from England to New Zealand to Antarctica!

The residence halls are great and have very friendly and welcoming communities. I felt very safe on campus and never had any problems. The cost of living was reasonable, and the dining hall food, while not home-cooked food, was good. I was very happy on campus!

The application process was easy for UD - there were several essays that made you think, but overall the application was managable. UD has many scholarship opportunities for students, and I was lucky to be awarded several.

2008

very competitive, varying class sizes, huge opportunity to study abroad. tons of majors and minors, large general requirements

housing guaranteed, low crime, dining hall isn't great, great library, lovely campus, dining and housing somewhat pricey.

Common App with a supplement. Early date for honors and scholarship deadlines.