“Amazing school with many resources”
September 2017CURRENT STUDENT

What I like most about this school are the professors who make class so enjoyable. I have learned so much here already and I am only a sophomore.

I like least that it is cold for a lot of the year, but that is more so location, than the school itself having downsides.

Comments

This school is fascinating with a beautiful campus and awesome professors.

“academics of UConn”
May 2017CURRENT STUDENT

professors are brilliant, lectures are great! Campus is very beautiful and so big!

Storrs is far from the business area of the city.

Comments

UConn Husky and MNBA is one of my reasons to choose UConn.

UConn academics are what really gives such strong value to a UConn degree. The general education requirements are classes that are typically very interesting and provide you with a wealth of knowledge. The major requirements insure that you know a lot about the subject area in a wide variety of genres. My academic advisors were always there when I needed them, and my professors were always willing to do whatever they could to make sure I got the help I needed. The grading system is fair, and faculty are required to do research in their field of teaching, so they are incrdibly knowledgeable in their field.

Every year I have been at UConn I have had the pleasure of living on campus, which is very rare in a school this size. I really like living on campus, the housing has the best location, its affordable for all of the amenities and the dining halls are really great. We have a great feeling of community here, and I always feel safe. The library is one of the largest in Connecticut, and we have so many resources here I can't possibly mention them all. I have been extremely satisfied with UConn and could never picture myself going somewhere else.

UConn does not accept the common application, which I find helps to insure that only the most qualified applicants will take the extra time to write our essays. UConn has unique essays that differ from the common application, but make it really easy to be creative and fun. One of the questions is even "ask and answer a question you wished we asked." Our early action deadline is right around other schools, and we encourage students to apply early for first choice for scholarships and financial aid. Regular decision applicants still get the same benefits, but they are notified of their admissions decision later in the winter. The application process is very fair and UConn prides themselves on consider more than just the "numbers" and evaluating students as a whole.

In depth and inclusive. Great experience overall. I was dissapointed with the amount of credits that transferred or what they transferred as.

Expensive living, great recreation programs, great dining and neighborhood.

Transferred from ECSU. SAT scores, transcript and application required (included essay)

2009

In the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences (CLAS) at UConn there are general education requirements that help you explore lots of departments at the University. These requirements are sometimes what people try to avoid when picking a school, but I think that "Gen Eds" at UConn helped me learn more about myself and lots of disciplines that I never would have experienced. For a Bachelor of Science, the typical lab sciences and Calculus are required, but UConn has a lot of options for the pace that you can take with these requirements. Class sizes range from very small (my smallest class was about 15 students) to about 300 students. Classes with as many as 300 students usually have a small "discussion" section of about 20 students to go along with the large lecture hall class. Professors are great about checking emails and meeting with students. I have never had an issue with requesting help from a professor. All of the faculty at UConn are some of the best and brightest of their field, it's great that you get to learn from the best researchers out there because UConn is a research university.

Housing is wonderful at UConn. It is guaranteed for four years as long as you apply for housing by a certain date. The campus is beautiful and there is always something fun going on. The dining halls are great and there are lots of options because they are so many dining halls as well as the Student Union market place and lots of cafes. The neighborhood is great, UConn is pretty much its own city. I am SO happy at UConn, and everyone that I know absolutely loves it too. I have always felt like UConn is my home away from home, and I can't believe I will be graduating in a year. The time at UConn has flown, and you know what they say, time flies when you are having fun!

UConn had a very straight-forward application process. There was an optional essay question and every applicant is immediately considered for the Honors Program. If you apply by a certain date you are considered for merit-based scholarship and their decisions for admission and scholarships are rolling. UConn was the first school I found out that I got into and they immediately told me of my scholarship, so the Admissions office is very efficient with their decisions and they give you a reason to want to come by making you feel like they will be lucky to have you.

For 11 years UConn has been ranked the #1 public university in New England and among the top 30 in the nation. Academics at UConn are really strong. There are so many choices as far as majors, minors and just courses in general. Since we are such a large institution there are lots of research opportunities as well. UConn is a Carnegie Foundation Research University, which basically means that more than 100 research centers and institutes that serve our community. Class sizes are larger in general requirement courses, but professors are really good about making themselves available for students. Also, most lecture classes meet in much smaller discussion sections once a week to give students a more intimate learning atmosphere. Study Abroad programs are really popular at UConn since we offer over 200 programs in 65 different countries. Students can participate in a program during the Fall semester, Winter intercession, Spring semester or Summer intercession; so there is an opportunity for everyone to take advantage of study abroad.

Quality of life is great at the University of Connecticut. We have one of the highest percentages of students living on campus. Students here really enjoy being a part of campus life and enjoy staying in on-campus housing. There are many options for housing at UConn. Besides just the standard dorm, there are suite-style living options and furnished apartments too. Being a student a UConn means that you are a part of the vibrant community that it encompasses.

The application process is pretty typical. It is not the Common Application, but is very much like it. The best thing about the application is the essay choices. There is an essay choice that tells applicants to "ask and then answer a question you wished we asked". This option gives applicants the opportunity to write an essay about whatever they choose. There are a lot of scholarship opportunities for students who qualify and apply in a timely manner. Early action is a great option because it gives students a chance to apply early, and hear of the decision early, but does not mean that they are obligated to attend.

Academics at the University of Connecticut are very important and are a central value of the institution. There are many colleges to choose from within the University as well. Depending on your major, the workload will differ slightly buy not by much. The work that an average college student is time consuming. One must devote full concentration when studying for exams, quizzes, projects, etc. Some classes have more work than others, but bottom line is that there is always reading which needs to be completed, as well as homework assignments. The class sizes at UConn vary. If it is a typical general education class, there might be close to 300 students (mostly freshmen). If it is a more specific class within your major, lets say when you reach your junior year, there might be closer to 30. However, discussion classes usually have about 15-20 students which meet weekly. The majority of the students that attend UConn are academically driven. I can say from personal experience that you need to be prepared to study quite a bit if you want to be a successful student at UConn. If you slack off or don't care, you will see immediate implications. Accessibility of professors is usually good, with the exception of a few of course. Research opportunities are also available to students who wish to participate. You just need to be proactive about it, those opportunities are not just going to find you

For the most part, I feel safe at this school. However, with the recent killing of Jasper Howard, and the death of a student named Jafar during Spring Weekend, I feel very aware of my surroundings more so than I had. However, through these hard times, UConn has become closer as a community, and have relied on each other for support which I definitely felt. Housing is provided and guaranteed for all four years now, which is nice. The facilities and campus are actually going through a renovation and have been under construction for almost a year. The library is very nice, spacious, centrally located and the staff is friendly. The dining halls are also great. The food to me is wonderful, for the most part are always clean, and are very convenient (there are 8 on campus). I am very happy that I chose this campus.

The admissions process was manageable but tedious. It was imperative that I had completed any and all forms included in the application (this also included transcripts from High School and Letters of Recommendation). I made sure to check that this school accepted the Common Application, and it did which made the process a little easier. As far as the essay question, I thought it was a fair question to ask-"What has been your biggest challenge or adversity in life, and how have you overcome this. Please relate this to how you would be successful at the University of Connecticut". It took a lot of time, effort, and many drafts before I was completely satisfied with the essay. This is probably the most important factor besides your grades and SAT scores that will help you get into UConn. This is an opportunity to tell Admissions why you deserve to be at their institution. I chose to participate in early action rather than early decision. I had a couple of schools in mind and wanted to know before the new year which ones I had been accepted to or not. It made my decision easier knowing earlier which schools I would possibly attend than having to wait until March to make a last minute decision as one would have to do with regular decision. When I had heard back from the University of Connecticut that I had been accepted, they had also provided me with a financial aid package. I was pleased with what I had received, especially being from out of state.

General Education requirements are diverse and easy to understand. Student must take two courses from each of four content areas, which include: Arts and Humanities, Social Science, Science and Technology (one course must include a lab component), and Diversity and Multiculturalism. Students are also required to complete two quantitative courses and two writing intensive courses. Major degree requirements vary based on school or college and the individual departments and majors within those schools and colleges. At a minimum, all students must earn 120 credits. Academic advising is typically facilitated by University faculty, although some programs (such as education, pharmacy, and kinesiology) require that students begin with a more general advisor before one may apply and be accepted. There is an advising center (the Academic Center for Exploratory Students or ACES) that provides a home for students in those pre-professional programs as well as students looking to apply into other schools or colleges or students who are undecided in their major plan of study and exploring their options. Professors are pretty good with making themselves available, and Teaching Assistants are even more so. Research opportunities present themselves in every department and vary in rigor and time commitment from required research method courses to University Scholar programs. Classes vary in size ranging from seminars of 19 to lectures of 350+. Typically, large lectures are general education courses and have a smaller lab period or discussion section that provides an opportunity to engage with material, classmates, and instructors more interactively. Grading is fair and impartial within each course although it is hard to measure consistency between courses taught by different instructors as the principles of academic freedom do not dictate any syllabus that must be taught.

Over 70% of students live on campus, and those who do not typically live in apartments 5-10 minutes away. The price of housing is quite reasonable and offeres a variety of options: single, traditional double, triple, four or six person suites, and on-campus apartments. The meal plan allows all residential students unlimited acess to all eight dining halls between 7AM and 7 or 10PM with options for flex passes (for guest meals and grab-and-go sandwiches and wraps) as well as meal plan points (for use at cafes, the food court, and on-campus resturant); there is also a community meal plan for students and non-students who live off campus. The additional cost of living is quite low as food and living ammenities are included in on-campus living costs and a pluthera of social events and activities are offered to students at no additional cost. UConn has been and still is making major infrastructural updates providing students with beautiful and useful facilities. The library is fantastic. The UConn catalog is excellent and inter-library loan makes it easy to borrow information from seemingly anywhere. The builing itself provides resource learning centers, a cafe, media technology, and study and project areas for groups as well as individuals. There isn't much of a neighborhood around Storrs, but there are some neighbors. The University as well as the Undergraduate Student Government is constantly in discussion with the neighbors to maintain a mutually respectful and beneficial relationship. Within the community, different programs and organizations really focus on community and coalition building which enables students to interact with many different students, professionals, faculty, and community members. Recent crime on campus is not a refection of our campus community or an indication of lacking safety; rather, it is shocking tragedy inflicted upon our community despite the overall feeling of safety and camaraderie. I am thrilled with the overall experience I had at UConn! I couldn't have imagined anything better!

The UConn application is nothing out of the ordinary with two common essay questions and a topic of choice option. UConn does not offer early decision, but the earlier one applies the sooner they will be notified of the Admissions Office's decision. All applicants are considered for the Honors and Student Support Services programs and require no additional application materials.

There are certain general education requirements that you need to take while at UConn. This requirement makes it easy to change your major in your first couple of years without falling behind. After you settle on a major, you need to take a certain amount of required classes for your major. Class size is on average 30 students with a student to faculty ratio of about 17:1 which makes it great to interact with other students and professors. UConn advisers are extremely helpful and beneficial to undergraduates as they understand what you need to graduate so you can stay on track. There are also over 200 hundred study abroad programs in and out of peoples majors which provides a great opportunity to see other places.

UConn has so much housing available for students. In fact its the most of any public university in the country. Housing was relatively inexpensive, and it was very fun to be so close to all my friends. The university just underwent a $2.3 billion dollar building project so all of the facilities are brand new.

While the University accepts the common application now, it did not when I applied, so I used the normal online application which was easy to use. Early action is the way to go as it gets you in the running for different scholarships.

120 credits needed to graduate. General requirements needed, but vary based upon degree type. Class size between 20 to 200 students, depending upon the type of class. Most professors are very accessible outside of class, during office hours, and by email.

Early decision

Many financial aid options. University scholarships were told upon acceptance into the university.