“Up and Coming Institution”
April 2018CURRENT STUDENT

Challenging and rigorous engineering programs. Large in size. Many extra curricular opportunities. An abundance of research opportunities. For the scale of the school, the professors make themselves, readily available. Many career resources readily available.

It doesn't have the same feel as some more established schools. School spirit is lacking. It feels like a commuter school as most live off or far from campus. General lack of school traditions.

Comments

Excellent opportunities for all sorts of educational experiences, but you must be able to put yourself out there, or you run the risk of getting lost in the sea of students.

“UCF”
February 2016FORMER STUDENT

There's a lot of people and a lot to do

Classes can be too big and there isn't enough seats

Comments

You will meet a lot of new people and get to experience college

Being a large university, it is hard to sum up all of the aspects of academic life. For example, in the Honors College, classes have no more than 20 students. LEAD Scholars classes are no larger than 30. In other programs, classes can range from video streamed to large lecture style to intimate discussions. When in lower division classes, you will normally have more students in your classes than higher division classes.

For major degree requirements, there are many, but I really love how the degree programs at UCF put an emphasis on service learning, internships, and research. Being next to Research Park gives us amazing opportunities for research and being in Orlando gives us an unparalleled opportunity for internships and service learning experiences. And this opportunity for experiences extends even outside our country's borders as our study abroad programs offer tons of experiences for students to learn and grow.

Our campus is diverse, friendly, and full of amazing opportunities for fun and personal growth. We have excellent Recreation and Wellness Facilities, comfortable and safe student housing (with a quality beyond anything else I've ever seen at other universities), and lots of study spaces conducive to productivity.

There are unique application questions, essays, and it's a rolling decision. Just by applying, you are eligible for "Pegasus Gold" and "Pegasus Silver" scholarships. Another option once you are accepted is to apply to the Burnett Honors College and the LEAD Scholars program, both of which I applied to and cannot imagine my college experience without.

I really love the curriculum at UCF. I'm double majoring in Creative Writing and RTV Production and I haven't taken a class yet that hasn't challenged and intrigued me. I'm very happy with my experiences here at UCF. The opportunities for additional learning through research are amazing and numerous as well as the opportunities for study abroad.

I lived in the Towers my freshman year, the best dorms on campus, and it was a wonderful experience. I had my own room and a bathroom I had to share with one of my three roommates. The RAs were very helpful in most situations and there were no incidents of crime or break-ins that permeated the dormitory. They are expensive dorms, though. That's definitely a fact.

I don't really remember the application process, but the scholarship opportunities are really great. There's always something to apply for.

General Education courses followed by specialization courses and required internships. Academic advising is easily accesible and my avg class size is 25.

Housing is comfortable, cost ofliving is afforadble with tons of forms of support, capus is huge but still feels like a home, te facilities and lbirary are modern and constatntly improving. I never feel unsafe on campus.

Application includes unique essay questions. I applied as a regular decision student and filed a FAFSA as per the schools request to receive financial aid.

Large class sizes depending on your major, professors provide syllabus at the beginning of each semester that includes their office hours, many study abroad opportunities, academic advising is great since they send friendly reminders.

Overall happiness, great library, beautiful scenery, rec and wellness expansion is phenomenal.

Common Application, Roll-in admission, essays, resume

Core classes are probably the ones that students like the least. But once you get settled into your major field(s) of interest, the classes are a lot of fun.

I live off campus, but I am on campus every day and I always have a great time. The campus is very active and the organizations that I am involved with are always doing big things.

Very basic and easy. The application is online, and there were two essay questions.

Rolling admissions

Grading is A,B,C,D,F for the most part. Some professors do a +/- scale. We are all required to take genereal education courses, but (depending on your major) you may take classes relevant to your major while you take the general education courses. Academic advising for my major is very accesible. At any given time I can walk into either office and seek advising. Hospital;ity management requires you take three interships so the learnig is hands on.

The facilities are state of the art, the community is excellent and the overall happiness would be rated fantastic. The atmosphere of UCF is amazing.

The application process is online and it is very staright foward compared to other application processes I have seen. The admissions office receivesand reviews your application in a timely matter and you are notified within the next couple of weeks.

UCF undergraduate students are required to complete approximately 34 hours in general education requirements. College of Business then has a set of prerequisites that must be taken before applying. After admission, students work towards completing nine business core classes and eight major classes.

Academic advisors are useful and helpful professionals within the college that assist with schedule planning, course petitions, petition exceptions, transient and transfer questions, etc. Our college has close to 8,000 students therefore it can be extremely busy at different weeks throughout the semester. Some advisors have not been as personable as others and seem to do the bear minimum when advising students. Sophomores who are new to the college and who we want to see back in the office in future years should have a little more time to build a good relationship with the advising staff. However, this becomes an issue due to the large size of the college and small advising staff.

Academics are challenging and interesting. Some classes are easier than others and some require more of a workload. I believe there is a high level of competitiveness, especially due to the size of the university. At times, it is discouraging because it is a challenge to know your professors or feel like they are truly interested in your performance because some classes have over 1,000 students in them. It is nice that once your classes tend to be degree specific, smaller classes are available. I think that students would be more prepared leaving college, had they had more years directly spending learning and gaining experience within their major. With that being said, I believe some general education classes are pointless and are a waste of money and knowledge. Two years is not enough time to fully gain the knowledge in order to participate competitively within the workforce.

Housing is very nice and do-able. Whether on campus or off, students have the choice to privacy and large rooms and/or bathrooms. Students have the opportunity to live in bigger rooms with bigger beds, kitchens, bathrooms, etc all within close proximity to campus.

Cost of living is acceptable for the quality of living we receive. On-campus is new, modern, and exciting to be a part of because of its different atmosphere compared to older universities.

Crime is minimal on-campus, however, there are parts of Orlando that are unsafe and are not too far from campus. Overall, I am very happy with my college years whether if be living, academics, school in general, etc. It is a growing school whether it be academics, athletics, or size, I am happy to be here and to soon be a graduate.

Prospective students are required to submit an application to the admissions office. Essays are included and are reviewed before a decisions of acceptance is made. UCF does participate in early decision and does provide financial aid and scholarships throughout collegiate years.