“Great School Great Networking”
November 2014FORMER STUDENT

Great things about Tulane include Lifelong friendships, great networking, interesting and passionate instructors. The city of New Orleans is absolutely welcoming and will make any student feel "at home". Alumnis are always willing to help other Alumnis.

High Tuition, awful parking, Cowen got rid of the engineering school which I feel undermines the prestige of the degree

Comments

Career Counseling here leaves something to be desired. Be prepared to be your own career counselor.

Tulane's classes are difficult and you do have to work hard in order to succeed in them. Tulane's core is relatively small and you can fulfill a lot of it with AP credit. Because the core is so concise it is very easy for most students to double and even triple major here and to do so in programs in multiple schools. You can be a biomedical engineering and dance double major. The academic advising program is great and when you declare a major you are assigned a major advisor who can ensure you fulfill your requirements. At Tulane the class sizes average around 22. The only classes that will be larger than that (around 100) are going to be your intro to psych, Calculus I, General Chem, etc. Beyond that the classes are extremely well sized and you never feel like just another face in the crowd. To that end Tulane also requires that its professors teach in order to work here. Because of that you will never be taught by a TA full time. Lots of other schools may brag about a 4:1 student/faculty ratio but how many of those are TAs? Tulane's ratio is 11:1 and we're never taught by TAs here (with the exception of meeting with them once per week in those Psych 101, Calc I classes to ask questions more intimately and go over homework). The professors are always accessible and really want to meet you and get to know you. I have gone out to dinner and drinks with my professors. I have been invited to dinner in their homes and to swim in their pools. They are all so kind and friendly and want you to do well in their classes. Many of the professors here need research assistants and there are opportunities for that in most departments. I love the academic climate here because we work extremely hard and want to achieve as much as possible but we don't have that cut-throat, super competitive hostile environment like other schools of our caliber. We respect each other as students and enjoy learning with each other. Notable faculty here include James Carville who is a total goof ball and teaches a great class on American political parties and elections. Study abroad programs are available here but the office is a little disorganized. I feel like I'm studying abroad here in New Orleans every day so not studying abroad didn't bother me much, but many students do their Junior year.

I have been an RA since sophomore year which has afforded me free housing and reduced board, however I would live on campus even if I didn't work. The dorms are great, social places to live and are all in pretty good shape. Campus facilities are pretty great. The cafeteria just got re-done and the food is always pretty good. There are lots of vegan, vegetarian, and gluten free options as well as normal food. The library is in great shape and the whole first floor features a "Learning Commons" with tons of mac and PC computers, a coffee kiosk, and tables and booths great for group work. Tulane works well within the community with our service learning requirement. All Tulane students are required to fulfill 2 tiers of community service to graduate. Because of this we do have a pretty good relationship with the surrounding community. Campus is completely safe and I have never felt threatened on campus. Beyond that, New Orleans is a city so you have to use your head just like when you walk around any other city. Overall I would say Tulane students LOVE being here. We are happy and I am devastated to graduate. I love it here.

Tulane is free to apply to which I think is a great perk. The only catch is you have to write an essay that answers the simple question "Why Tulane?". It can be a tough question to answer if you haven't visited which I highly encourage you do! Financial aid and scholarships are available and given to you when you sent your acceptance. You can also apply to be a community service scholar or a Dean's honors scholar (which is full tuition).

I'd say one of the biggest positives about Tulane is the accessibility of our professors. On the second day of class, my Intro to Microecon Professor gave all 45 students a placard with their name on in and took our picture. Within two weeks, he had all of our names memorized, and still says hello to me by name whenever we pass one another. And while that is obviously an extreme example, all of my professors take time to know my name and want to help me, as an undergraduate student, be successful.

The general requirements aren't too overwhelming, and AP scores can be very helpful!

People in New Orleans tend to love and enjoy life and Tulane students definitely do as well. I'd say we have one of the happiest campuses and students really do enjoy life. It is a good balance of on-and-off campus events as well.

In a massive academic recruitment effort, Tulane encouraged many well-qualified students to apply to the University with a free application, an early action decision, and a relatively basic application. The effects of this have been substantial, as students fill out the free application not intending to admit at Tulane, but visit and fall in love with the place. Thus, this has greatly increased the academic quality of the students! (I had this story, along with most people I know.)

Core classes amount to 30 credits, major degree is usually about 30 credits, and minor qualifications is usually around 18 but you need 120 credits to graudate so you still have plenty of credits to explore classes with

Tulane is competative, youve got to be smart to come here so even if your used to always being top of your class get used to having to really try to maintain that, but if you put forth the effort you wil suceed

We live in New Orleans what else can you say? The city is absolutly amazing and we have a great relationship with city, especially because of all the community service we do in the city.

People aboslutely love it here, but its not like most state school where it is becuase of good sport teams, people just have pride in Tulane. And you can sense it, every one who is here is ridiculously happy to be here. You have to realize choosing college is more than about great adaemics or partying (both of which Tulane is great at) its about picking where you are going to live for four years and there is no place better than Tulane.

Very generous with financial aid

Most potential students fall in love with Tulane once they visit, so regular decision is probably the way to go

There are core requirements that every student must fulfill regardless of major or specific school. However, these requirements give each student a chance to explore every corner of the university. The student to professor ratio is 8 to 1, which means that every student has a chance to get to know every professor. The professors are very encouraging of every student to come and get to know them. Opportunities to work with professors become even more accessible because of the availability and accessibility of each professor.

The Study Abroad Programs are growing. There were a few years in which it was very difficult to study abroad, however, with new people in the Office of Study Abroad and the number of programs growing every year I have heard it is improving exponentially

There is always something to do here at Tulane both on and off campus. There is no school that can offer more opportunities to be a part of the city it is situated in, I can guarantee it. You don't just come to Tulane, you come to New Orleans.

Tulane now has a unique and additional essay question. We now want to know why you want to come to New Orleans. This extra question is a wonderful reflection of what is really important to the school and the student body.

Tulane makes it easy to study abroad, double major, or minor, and take care of all the necessary pre-professional courses. My classes have never been outrageously sized and my professors have always known me on a first name basis. I had no trouble getting recommendations for medical school and feel confident that my professors have my best interest in mind. Tulane makes it easy to do undergraduate research at both the uptown (undergraduate) and downtown (medical school) campuses. I work in a lab downtown and have gained experience that many undergraduates are not afforded through research. Tulane is competitive but not overwhelming. The pre-med courses want to weed you out, but once you get passed those, it is alot less stressful. Grading is fair, for the most part. One of my favorite professors was Brent Koplitz...his email is as hilarious as him brent@tulane.edu (whereas most others have the generic lastnamefirstinitial@tulane.edu.) Koplitz teaches freshman year gen chem. He also does laser research with grants from NASA. The man is outrageously smart and not at all conceited. He spent years in college working at a fishpacking plant in alaska and one of his favorite things is women's college volleyball. Take his class if you want to meet one of the coolest people at Tulane.

Housing on campus is a deal. While moving off campus seems appealing to upperclassmen, more and more people attend Tulane each year and with this increase in people looking for offcampus housing, the slumlords of broadway ask more ridiculous prices for rat holes. Stay on campus. It's soooo much easier.

The library is awesome. It stays open late and has a variety of different types of study areas.

Dining has lots of diverse options, my favorite being the all-you-can-eat style Bruff Commons. Love the chocolate milk.

Tulane tries to stay involved throughout New Orleans and their public service requirement does a good job in getting students out of the bubble of tulane and into the community. I find that most people really emmerse themselves int eh city of New Orleans during their junior and senior years.

I would say that Tulane students all pretty much love tulane. I only have one friend who has transferred and it was for financial reasons, not because she didn't love the school.

Tulane's Dean's Scholarship is one of the most unique applications that I have filled out. Each applicant is given a small square on a peace of paper and the applicant can interpret it any way he likes. I've heard that one kid cut out the square and "held it ransom" until he got the scholarship. He would call the admissions office every couple weeks with more ransom notes. Another guy wrote a rap that he put inside of the square and another friend made oragami out of the square.

Your experience will depend very strongly on the school you enter - science & engineering, liberal arts, business, architecture, or public health. General impression is that professors are easily accessible, often including cell phone numbers and personal emails on syllabi, because classes are often quite small (20 or less). For science students particularly, there are lots of research opportunities if you are proactive.

Do you know what it means to miss New Orleans? You will after 24 hours of live music, gumbo, crawfish, southern sun - you will remember what it means to feel alive. It's best been described as "straight soul - no chaser". Tulane is located in the older, wealthy uptown New Orleans, making it a quite safe. Tulane does a great job with safety.

Housing on campus is decent - pretty standard dorm rooms. The on-campus apartment complex is a good segue to the real world. About half of juniors and seniors move off campus to the surrounding 10 square blocks, so housing can be a bit pricy - $500-700/month. The upside is you're living in those huge, old, beautiful uptown New Orleans homes.

I've never been happier with a decision.

Very easy application (ie. no app fee, no supplemental essays), so students incorrectly assume it's an easy school to get into. Really we're rejecting 34s on ACT and Valedictorians - a lot of factors go into the admissions decision. There are lots of merit-based scholarships available, and financial aid is common.

Every student has a core curriculum to fulfill in addition to their major requirements. The core includes a freshman seminar, freshman English, language classes, and other basic courses in humanities, social sciences, arts, and pure sciences. Tulane also has a service learning requirement, which requires that we perform community service in conjunction with one of our classes.

Advising is great and incredibly helpful. We have many advisers: general, major, and and pre-track adviser. There's no reason that you would ever be at a loss about what to do.

Class sizes can't get too large because our biggest lecture hall seats 200. In my experience, the average class size has been 20-40 students. There are definitely smaller, but it doesn't seem like many classes get much larger, especially once you've passed the required beginning level courses.

Studying abroad is also very popular at Tulane. In fact, I am currently abroad in Jordan. I have also received a grant to conduct independent research here during the summer. There are definitely many opportunities available to us.

I've lived on campus and it is incredible convenient. There are a number of housing options, but as upperclassmen we stay in the apartment-style dorm. Campus is relatively small physically, so everything is no more than a 20 minute walk away at most. There are also great eating options and just places to visit around campus, as it is situated in uptown New Orleans. Safety is always a concern for New Orleans, but Tulane is in the safest part of the city and TUPD is always around to make sure we're safe. Especially because I live on campus, I have never felt unsafe at any time.

Tulane offered me a very simple application that only asked for basic information and a personal statement. Furthermore, the application fee had been waived, and the application to the school also put you in consideration for almost all other scholarships. It was an incredibly easy and straightforward admissions process and I appreciated it.

If you don't declare your major early, you get two years in the Newcomb-Tulane program, which combines the Liberal Arts and the Science and Engineering program into a set of core requirements. It's not entirely competitive in the sense that students aren't willing to help their classmates.

Everyone loves everything about the school.

It was free to apply, and the destination Tulane program is what really sold the school to come here.

Tulane is abundant with research opportunities; professors and department heads are very easy to keep in contact with, and most are eager to get to know the students and help them out individually. The programs director of my particular school is very active and visible among the undergraduates, and the faculty takes students' opinions on the curriculum and degree very seriously.

Tulane sends out a personal application that is early, free, and easy to use. There is no formal essay as part of the application; rather, there is one short answer and one optional short answer. Tulane also uses the Universal Application, but the personal application may be the simplest one I've ever completed.