Tufts University

“Tufts review”
October 2015CURRENT STUDENT

Engaged, Helpful professors

Dining hall food(good vegetarian options)

study abroad program

Distribution requirements

Slightly far from the city - suburban setting

Climbing up the hill everyday

Comments

Make sure your personality comes across strongly through your writing

“Review of Tufts”
August 2015CURRENT STUDENT

Great location, right outside of Boston. Super Close to Harvard and MIT. Great Size, good research Uni with liberal arts education. Great IR program.

Worst economics department and average student body. Average prestige and hard to find jobs in investment banking and consulting.

Comments

Extremely liberal and gay friendly. Sometimes too political correct, as expected.

“Great undergrad experience”
March 2015FORMER STUDENT

Bright, intellectual classmates. Engaged faculty. Good academic resources and support. Appreciate that it has a true "college" campus.

Location outside Boston is quite far, if you do not have a car.

Comments

Just go here. Make sure you participate in all the awesome clubs they have here.

General requirements are pretty easy to fulfill. Overall I'm happy that they're there. It's a great way to allow you remain to be undecided while you're coming in.

Class sizes are a little larger than I was expecting, but as you get into higher level classes the sizes definitely decrease. I'm okay with the sizes being what they are because it means that you can get into higher demand classes as an underclassmen.

There are lots of opportunities to work with professors in labs, doing research, etc. And career services is fantastic at helping you find an internship if you want one.

Study abroad is HIGHLY encouraged. Most students are abroad at least one semester their junior year.

Common App, plus supplement. The essays are pretty fun and apparently there is now an optional youtube video component.

2009

General distribution requirements exist for arts, humanities, social sciences, natural sciences, and mathematics. There is also a two semester writing requirement that can be passed out of based on AP english scores. Class sizes in both the Japanese and Economics departments where I spent most of my time were small, professors were extraordinarily accessible and taking the time to meet with them privately was always worth the time. Study abroad opportunities on both Tufts and non-Tufts programs were plentiful.

Dining and the neighborhood are great and I generally feel safe. Library is extensive. As for cost of living, moderate, and opportunities to defray it (such as working as a Resident Assistant or Resident Head Tutor) are available.

It was a long time ago. I don't particularly remember except that I applied early decision and that the school accepted the Common Application along with a few extra essays and an optional creative project.

If you came from a high school that allowed you to take AP's/IB, then you're going to have more freedom in picking your courses because they cover a lot of the general requirements. However, I found out along the way that many courses (often the ones for your major) can fulfill these. Most majors require around 11 courses, but not all of them are specific required courses, so you do have a decent amount of wiggle room to take what is most interesting to you. With advising, I recommend getting to know your advisor well and early because they can be very helpful in giving you advice on your courses/major/study abroad etc. Also, they can write you a nice recommendation letter! Professors are generally fairly accessible because they have required office hours (usually twice a week) and if you can't be free at those times, then you can just email them to set up an appointment. It's almost better to have an appointment so you don't have to feel rushed when you're talking to them (because during office hours, often many students are waiting to see the professor). I believe Tufts is underrated in its research opportunities. The majority of students participate in some form of research during their four years here, and it is not too difficult to find such opportunities. They are also quite rewarding (for me, I learned that I would like to never do research again, but it was an invaluable experience). Regarding competitiveness, the most aggressive kids are in the International Relations program (since it's one of the nation's best schools for the field, it attracts some of the best students). Beyond that, however, most students aren't really competitive with each other (they are very nice and encourage each other to do well). Instead, they are competitive with themselves, pushing themselves to stay up til three in the morning at the library five days a week, play a varsity sport, and work three jobs (I actually know someone who does this). Grading is very inconsistent across teachers. Unlike many Ivy Leagues (sorry to diss you, but you deserve it sometimes), Tufts does not have grade inflation. So, things can be harsh for kids who work hard in a class, yet still don't do very well. Some classes are a cake walk, while others give out one A a semester. We have some great faculty, and there's pretty much guaranteed a few fantastic and relatively famous professors in each department. Sol Gittleman is so entertaining, Joseph Hurka is inspirational, and Paola Servino is invigorating, to name a few. Tufts has one of the best study abroad programs in the nation because it is so comprehensive, and for the International Relations students, it flows very well with their major. The Tufts programs themselves are fantastic, yet they do not exist in as many countries as students often wish. But, Tufts deals with this very nicely. They do an absolutely fantastic job of getting students connected with non-Tufts programs in basically every country in the world and making the transition smooth, easy, and understandable. Workload can be quite hefty at Tufts, and most of the people I know are stressed out 90% of the time. However, it does depend on your own work ethic and coping strategies. I, for instance, do not spend hours upon hours in the library cramming almost every night (I do my work consistently in small bursts), yet so many people do. Lastly, even if people work hard, they play harder! We like to have fun too!

Housing is kind of a mixed bag because during freshman year, you get randomly assigned to dorms, and then afterwards you get to pick rooms based on lottery numbers. So, you could get lucky and get assigned to a good dorm first year and then get a good lottery number, or you could get bad luck and live in not so nice dorms. Cost of living is pretty much the same as it is anywhere. You don't have to spend any more money than you are already spending on tuition (especially freshman year, with the unlimited meal plan). When you get older and live off campus, housing can get kind of expensive, but if you search well, you can find the right place for the right price. The campus is very beautiful because it is on a hill overlooking Boston. It has lots of trees and is not too big or too far from downtown. The facilities are somewhat lagging behind those of other schools similar to ours. As someone said, we are a "first-rate institution with third-rate facilities". This is partially true because we are consistently improving our facilities, and I think they are doing a very good job at it. The library, dining halls, and music center are all new and improved, whereas they are still upgrading the gym, campus center, and dorms. The library is huge and is a great place for many people to study (both alone and in groups) and it even has a little cafe so you never have to leave. The food is fantastic at Tufts, no matter what other people say to the contrary (they are just spoiled). You have to remember, this is a dining hall after all. They can't give you as much attention as a 4 star restaurant. There is a lot of variety in the food and it is usually of very good quality. The immediate neighborhood is inhabited by Tufts upperclassmen and graduate students, and then beyond that there are locals, who we don't interact with much. Davis Square, which is only a ten minute walk away, is very nice and has plenty of good places to eat and hang out. We connect with the community a lot, whether it be working with the Somerville Homeless Coalition or tutoring at the local elementary schools. Tufts is rated one of the most dangerous campuses, but that is a misconception. That rating, calculated by the Daily Beast, includes the Tufts graduate schools, which are located in Chinatown, not a very safe neighborhood. The Tufts campus is much safer than that area, but it is not quite a haven. You always have to be careful and watchful, and don't walk around alone (on the edges of campus) at night. Students are rated as some of the happiest in the country, and I definitely think it is true. Everyone loves the school and is really involved in pretty much everything. People are generally very nice and like to support each other.

Tufts is consistently at the forefront of getting creative and interesting answers out of students, whether it be with their open questions or their YouTube video supplement. You can get an interview, but they are not guaranteed and you have to request them. I had one in my hometown and it was fairly comprehensive; I believe it can only help you. The rest of the application was fine because we got to use the common app. I applied early decision 1 (there are two early decision periods, but I don't think there is early action) because I was 100% sure I wanted to go. I feel like many people apply early without feeling as confident in their choice as they should. A large portion of Tufts students receive financial aid, and it used to be need blind, but with the economic crisis (Tufts lost a lot of money with Madoff) it has become more and more difficult to get proper financial aid. There are a good number of scholarship opportunities and you have to work hard to receive them, but it's definitely worth it in the end.

You have distribution and foundation requirements, and then about 10-12 classes for your major. There's a heavy language requirement, but it can be replaced with culture classes to an extent- I've loved my experience with the foreign language dept though and wish I could have taken more classes. Class sizes are only large in introductory classes and otherwise can range from 10-40 depending on the subject. It's pretty competitive, but not to a detrimental extent- students collaborate all the time with work. There is a fair bit of work but none of it has really been busy work so far.

I've so far been pretty happy with the housing and the people who've been my neighbors. The libraries- Tisch and Fletcher- are great. The facilities are great but not as large as you'll find in other universities, but that's because Tufts isn't really a large school. The student body is really friendly and quirky, the neighborhood has a lot to offer since there's easy access to Boston. Contrary to certain rankings, Tufts is extremely safe, and I've never felt threatened. The campus is easy to navigate- the hill really isn't a big deal at all!

About 3 short essays or so with one optional, in addition to common app. There was early decision, ed2, and regular (I applied regular). Tufts' had some of the best/most relatable questions in comparison to other schools.

They push you, a lot. They expect a lot of you but if you put in the work, you'll do well.

Students has a lot of pride in going to tufts. The facilities are decent but definitely could use some work.

Common app. They really want to get to know you from their supplemental application.

Tufts is a liberal arts institution (we have an engeneering school as well!) but for LA kids we have a braod spectrum of general requirements you have to take or place out of with AP/BAC credit. English 1 & 2. 6 semesters of a language (3 of actual language, 3 of culture), 2 social sciences, 2 natural sciences, 2 mathmatics, 2 arts and 2 humanities. They are relatively easy to fullfill and you will probably end up doing so without really realizing it. Majors tend to be around 10 classes in a specific area and minors tend to be around 6. You are assigned a random academic advisor when you get there as a freshman but as soon as you declare your major you can choose whoever you want within your specific field. Intro classes tend to be big, but you get through them pretty quickly and then Tufts classes tend to be pretty intimate, anywhere between 10-50 students. Professors are really accessible if you make an effort. It is easy to go all four years never having really talked to any or becoming close friends with a few, it depends on your initiative. They are always willing to help and to meet outside of class. Also, Tufts will remburse any coffee date you have with a professor if you show them a receipt! Overall, tufts is a very academic school with students who work very hard and yet people are not competitve at all. Everyone understands that each person here is smart so it doesn't really matter. More importantly everyone does other amazing things and loves to talk and share it, that's way more important. Tufts is a pretty international school especially because of the Fletcher school, so study abroad is quite common. Most people will go abroad at some point in their Junior years. There are quite a few Tufts run programs but you can just as easily got hrough an outside organization to pretty much anywhere you could think of. The workload is not light, club tisch is the beloved library that you can almost always find a familiar face in. That being said it is also very easy to have a fun and active social life!

I love my school. That being said some of the buildings could use some renovations. I highly recomend all freshman living your first year and it tends to be incredibly social. Living close to Boston is also AMAZING because you have easy access to a city while still being able to have a central campus. There are a lot of great food places around, especially in davis square (BBQ, Mexican, Italien, Burgers, Ice Cream, Indian ect) and Harvard sqaure is only two stops on the red line. Tufts tries to get involed in community projects but to be honest most of the time I'm not really aware of the neighborhood folks around. Tufts was ranked as the most dangerous campus in the US, this is SO FALSE. I have never felt unsafe and TUPD is always available at any time of night if you need a ride or anything else/ The dinning halls may be one of the best things at Tufts, huge selection, delicious food and a lot of effort towards organic. there are also a lot of speciality and themed nights which are always fun! Overall happiness at Tufts...couldn't be better :)

The reason I loved Tufts so much was because they made an effort to make the application process about the individual and not about the numbers. The application essays and questions are very unique and quirky. Also, the optional essays are geared towards every kind of interest. There is a question for the history buff, the science kid, the creative artist ect. Besides the Tufts specific application there is the Common App and an optional interview. They have two rounds of early decision. The financial aid app consists of the FAFSA, the CSS Profile and a Tufts specific application. I have been on financial aid all years of undergraduate and have had a good experience with it. They are willing to listen and help as much as they can.

In the School of Arts and Sciences there are a lot of core requirements but they are fun and there are many ways to fill them. Intro classes are large but they get smaller as you move past intro level. Some intro classes are much easier than others. Sciences are definitely a challenge and are difficult to complete even to students who took AP sciences in high school.

The campus at Tufts is excellent. It's very close to Boston and the surrounding neighborhoods which means there's plenty to do all the time but because the campus isn't directly in the city it has enough room to have a real campus. Housing is pretty good. Some dorms are better than others but none are awful. Students at Tufts are really happy at Tufts.

The Tufts application focused on the individual and whether they were well rounded and a good match for Tufts. There is an optional application that can consist of an essay, a drawing, or a video that is worth doing and really allows a student to identify themselves.