Tufts University

“Tufts review”
October 2015CURRENT STUDENT

Engaged, Helpful professors

Dining hall food(good vegetarian options)

study abroad program

Distribution requirements

Slightly far from the city - suburban setting

Climbing up the hill everyday

Comments

Make sure your personality comes across strongly through your writing

“Review of Tufts”
August 2015CURRENT STUDENT

Great location, right outside of Boston. Super Close to Harvard and MIT. Great Size, good research Uni with liberal arts education. Great IR program.

Worst economics department and average student body. Average prestige and hard to find jobs in investment banking and consulting.

Comments

Extremely liberal and gay friendly. Sometimes too political correct, as expected.

“Great undergrad experience”
March 2015FORMER STUDENT

Bright, intellectual classmates. Engaged faculty. Good academic resources and support. Appreciate that it has a true "college" campus.

Location outside Boston is quite far, if you do not have a car.

Comments

Just go here. Make sure you participate in all the awesome clubs they have here.

Tufts is a liberal arts institution (we have an engeneering school as well!) but for LA kids we have a braod spectrum of general requirements you have to take or place out of with AP/BAC credit. English 1 & 2. 6 semesters of a language (3 of actual language, 3 of culture), 2 social sciences, 2 natural sciences, 2 mathmatics, 2 arts and 2 humanities. They are relatively easy to fullfill and you will probably end up doing so without really realizing it. Majors tend to be around 10 classes in a specific area and minors tend to be around 6. You are assigned a random academic advisor when you get there as a freshman but as soon as you declare your major you can choose whoever you want within your specific field. Intro classes tend to be big, but you get through them pretty quickly and then Tufts classes tend to be pretty intimate, anywhere between 10-50 students. Professors are really accessible if you make an effort. It is easy to go all four years never having really talked to any or becoming close friends with a few, it depends on your initiative. They are always willing to help and to meet outside of class. Also, Tufts will remburse any coffee date you have with a professor if you show them a receipt! Overall, tufts is a very academic school with students who work very hard and yet people are not competitve at all. Everyone understands that each person here is smart so it doesn't really matter. More importantly everyone does other amazing things and loves to talk and share it, that's way more important. Tufts is a pretty international school especially because of the Fletcher school, so study abroad is quite common. Most people will go abroad at some point in their Junior years. There are quite a few Tufts run programs but you can just as easily got hrough an outside organization to pretty much anywhere you could think of. The workload is not light, club tisch is the beloved library that you can almost always find a familiar face in. That being said it is also very easy to have a fun and active social life!

I love my school. That being said some of the buildings could use some renovations. I highly recomend all freshman living your first year and it tends to be incredibly social. Living close to Boston is also AMAZING because you have easy access to a city while still being able to have a central campus. There are a lot of great food places around, especially in davis square (BBQ, Mexican, Italien, Burgers, Ice Cream, Indian ect) and Harvard sqaure is only two stops on the red line. Tufts tries to get involed in community projects but to be honest most of the time I'm not really aware of the neighborhood folks around. Tufts was ranked as the most dangerous campus in the US, this is SO FALSE. I have never felt unsafe and TUPD is always available at any time of night if you need a ride or anything else/ The dinning halls may be one of the best things at Tufts, huge selection, delicious food and a lot of effort towards organic. there are also a lot of speciality and themed nights which are always fun! Overall happiness at Tufts...couldn't be better :)

The reason I loved Tufts so much was because they made an effort to make the application process about the individual and not about the numbers. The application essays and questions are very unique and quirky. Also, the optional essays are geared towards every kind of interest. There is a question for the history buff, the science kid, the creative artist ect. Besides the Tufts specific application there is the Common App and an optional interview. They have two rounds of early decision. The financial aid app consists of the FAFSA, the CSS Profile and a Tufts specific application. I have been on financial aid all years of undergraduate and have had a good experience with it. They are willing to listen and help as much as they can.

Housing is below average, dinning is good, but over priced.

Common application with supplement. Early decision 2.

You have distribution and foundation requirements, and then about 10-12 classes for your major. There's a heavy language requirement, but it can be replaced with culture classes to an extent- I've loved my experience with the foreign language dept though and wish I could have taken more classes. Class sizes are only large in introductory classes and otherwise can range from 10-40 depending on the subject. It's pretty competitive, but not to a detrimental extent- students collaborate all the time with work. There is a fair bit of work but none of it has really been busy work so far.

I've so far been pretty happy with the housing and the people who've been my neighbors. The libraries- Tisch and Fletcher- are great. The facilities are great but not as large as you'll find in other universities, but that's because Tufts isn't really a large school. The student body is really friendly and quirky, the neighborhood has a lot to offer since there's easy access to Boston. Contrary to certain rankings, Tufts is extremely safe, and I've never felt threatened. The campus is easy to navigate- the hill really isn't a big deal at all!

About 3 short essays or so with one optional, in addition to common app. There was early decision, ed2, and regular (I applied regular). Tufts' had some of the best/most relatable questions in comparison to other schools.

General distribution requirements exist for arts, humanities, social sciences, natural sciences, and mathematics. There is also a two semester writing requirement that can be passed out of based on AP english scores. Class sizes in both the Japanese and Economics departments where I spent most of my time were small, professors were extraordinarily accessible and taking the time to meet with them privately was always worth the time. Study abroad opportunities on both Tufts and non-Tufts programs were plentiful.

Dining and the neighborhood are great and I generally feel safe. Library is extensive. As for cost of living, moderate, and opportunities to defray it (such as working as a Resident Assistant or Resident Head Tutor) are available.

It was a long time ago. I don't particularly remember except that I applied early decision and that the school accepted the Common Application along with a few extra essays and an optional creative project.

General requirements are pretty easy to fulfill. Overall I'm happy that they're there. It's a great way to allow you remain to be undecided while you're coming in.

Class sizes are a little larger than I was expecting, but as you get into higher level classes the sizes definitely decrease. I'm okay with the sizes being what they are because it means that you can get into higher demand classes as an underclassmen.

There are lots of opportunities to work with professors in labs, doing research, etc. And career services is fantastic at helping you find an internship if you want one.

Study abroad is HIGHLY encouraged. Most students are abroad at least one semester their junior year.

Common App, plus supplement. The essays are pretty fun and apparently there is now an optional youtube video component.

2009

The engineering major is challenging, with a pretty solid work load. The first two years consist of mostly core classes. Junior year you take major specific classes, and senior year you take advanced courses that are specific to the concentration that you select. The professors in general are excellent. Class size is as small as ~10 for specialized courses, and ~50 for the general classes. There are two freshman classes that are large lectures (entire class of 200 people), but they have small lab sections, and I found these classes perfectly manageable. Roughly 1/6 of the engineering students study abroad. I studied in Christchurch New Zealand, other countries that are common for engineers are: Australia, England, Ireland, and China (Hong Kong). Most classes have regular homework, with 1-2 midterms, and a final exam or project. Grades are on a 0-100 point scale, and then converted to a letter grade at the end. There is a lot of opportunity for undergraduate research and projects. I've worked on several projects at Tufts, as a visiting researcher at MIT, and doing research for local companies. Students are very collaborative and friendly, and are expected to work together on assignments.

Students are required to live in dorms their freshman year, and most students live in dorms their sophomore year. Students generally enjoy the dorm life, and find a good sense of community. In Junior year most students move off campus. The off campus housing is accessible and close to campus, and most students rent 3-5 person apartments with friends. Most students are pleased with the system. The dining halls are expensive, but provide a wide variety of excellent food. I had an unlimited meal plan for freshman and sophomore year, and cooked for myself junior and senior year because I had a kitchen in my apartment.

Tufts admissions require good grades, but that alone will not do it. There is a larger writing portion on the application than most other engineering schools, and you must prove that you are an interesting, well rounded person.

Several GE requirements, professors are always there, study abroad is very popular at Tufts, every student is academically well-rounded

food is great, people have great school spirit and are very friendly, one should be careful at night because crime occurs often, dorms are great, the city and the neighborhoods are fun

3 essays- I found the application very fair. I don't think SAT scores should be taken so much into consideration. There are so many aspects to the application that indicate a candidate's qualifications, that the SAT should be the least important component.