Tufts University

“If you can get in here, go somewhere else.”
November 2018CURRENT STUDENT

I've met lifelong friends here, academics are top notch, good location, food is good, nice campus, flexible study abroad

Tons of work, many people are very strange, no support for any sort of sports from administration, very poor career services - you really have to hustle on your own to get a good job, they DO NOT RECRUIT FROM TUFTS.

Comments

Really, if you're smart enough to get into Tufts, take a hard look at other schools on your list. I would have gone somewhere else.

“Memorable 4 years”
November 2015CURRENT STUDENT

My favorite thing about Tufts is definitely the people the university attracts. Everyone is very passionate about what they do and I learned more outside of the classroom than in.

Lack of diversity. Too many students come from the same background (white, prep school). It was rare to find other students from public high schools.

Comments

Coming to Tufts was the best decision I ever made.

“Tufts review”
October 2015CURRENT STUDENT

Engaged, Helpful professors

Dining hall food(good vegetarian options)

study abroad program

Distribution requirements

Slightly far from the city - suburban setting

Climbing up the hill everyday

Comments

Make sure your personality comes across strongly through your writing

“Review of Tufts”
August 2015CURRENT STUDENT

Great location, right outside of Boston. Super Close to Harvard and MIT. Great Size, good research Uni with liberal arts education. Great IR program.

Worst economics department and average student body. Average prestige and hard to find jobs in investment banking and consulting.

Comments

Extremely liberal and gay friendly. Sometimes too political correct, as expected.

“Great undergrad experience”
March 2015FORMER STUDENT

Bright, intellectual classmates. Engaged faculty. Good academic resources and support. Appreciate that it has a true "college" campus.

Location outside Boston is quite far, if you do not have a car.

Comments

Just go here. Make sure you participate in all the awesome clubs they have here.

Tufts has "distribution requirements", which means we have to take 2 classes within 5 categories that cover natural sciences, humanities, etc. There is also a language requirement that can be filled with language and/or culture classes in tons of different languages. There are numerous research opportunities available to undergrads, from assisting professors and graduate students in biology, chemistry, and psych labs, to more liberal arts/humanities focused research opportunities. There is also lots of funding available for students to perform independent research or receive payment for outside internships. Tufts' professors are generally accesable but students must seek their professors out on their own which can be intimidating. Students are assigned an advisor somewhat randomly at the beginning of their freshmen year (and initial advisors vary greatly in their helpfulness). When students declare their majors, they can select their own advisor and I really like my two advisors although i've never had either of them in class. Choosing an advisor can be somewhat stressful. Lots of Tufts students study abroad and there is an extensive office that assists with getting into different programs, getting financial aid and getting credits to transfer (although I didnt end up studying abroad). Workload is difficult as Tufts is a academically rigorous school but students are passionate and not competitive with each other and there are lots of great tutoring resources.

The dining halls are amazing - tons of different options, vegetarian food, healthy choices! Safety on campus is high but because Tufts is in the outskirts of Boston, there are sometimes crimes committed on the periphery of campus which can be a problem since a lot of students live off campus. Students who live off campus live in houses that are bordering campus and this adds a lot to a fun social atmosphere around campus. The cost of living in these houses can be somewhat inflated but there is also reasonable housing on campus although the dorms could use some renewing! The library is AMAZING!! The gym is getting a much needed upgrade but overall facilities are good. Overall happiness is high - students like Tufts and are happy to be here. Students are very engaged and looking to get others involved in their field/cause/group/club. There are almost too many events that happen on campus!

I had to fill out the Common Application as well as a Tufts-specific application with separate questions and essays. There was also an optional additional essay that I completed. I applied regular decision and was interviewed by an alumna in my hometown. I filled out the financial aid application but was denied.

Whether you are in the school of arts and science or the school of engineering, you will have core requirements that must be completed in order to graduate. Think writing, math, etc. It's not too bad.

Professors are brilliant and very helpful. Most professors really care about students and will be willing to meet outside of office hours. This is useful in building a strong relationship which can in turn present many research opportunities.

Study abroad is well known at Tufts. Everyone I know loves their experience abroad and Tufts has a lot of options for students. At the same time, there are student who opt out of studying abroad yet still are happy with their decision.

Tufts is really hard. However, the information that you learn is applicable to the real world (e.g. it has a point and is useful). Consequently, you can't just memorize; rather, you have to understand the underlying concepts in order to do well on exams. Some majors are easier than other, but this is true for any school.

Students are competitive with themselves, not each other.

The food at Tufts is delicious. However, at times I can get bored. Luckily, there are a multitude of places to eat in the surrounding area. Some buildings feel old yet the University is renovating a lot of them. Those buildings that are renovated look really nice.

Overall, I am really happy at Tufts. The campus just has a friendly and cheerful vibe.

Tufts is known for its unique essay questions. Students need a combination of high test scores, high GPA, high class rank, a record of community service, and strong extracurricular activities to stay competitive. On top of all of that, the essays are a vital part in standing out in the eyes of the admissions committee.

Tufts is pretty much need-blind. The school doesn't offer any merit based scholarships.

Awesome supplemental app that allows you to showcase yourself creatively.

There have been times where professors have actually come to me when I messed up on an exam. Classes can be hard. Yet professors are very open and are always there to help. Grading is also tough, but classes are very enjoyable. Class sizes are small which leads to great interaction amongst fellow classmates and the professor. I have yet to have a TA teach a class, and I just graduated. All classes I have had are taught by professors with terminal degrees in their respective fields. Students are very nice and often collaborate. The competitiveness that exists is on an individual level, not between students.

How can someone not feel happy at Tufts? It's a great school with friendly people, great resources, and a beautiful campus.

Tufts is a difficult school to get into. Prospective students not only have to be successful academically, but also really stand out in their essays.

Common App with individualized essay options. Optional alumni interview. There was an option for early decision but I did not do it.