Tufts University

“If you can get in here, go somewhere else.”
November 2018CURRENT STUDENT

I've met lifelong friends here, academics are top notch, good location, food is good, nice campus, flexible study abroad

Tons of work, many people are very strange, no support for any sort of sports from administration, very poor career services - you really have to hustle on your own to get a good job, they DO NOT RECRUIT FROM TUFTS.

Comments

Really, if you're smart enough to get into Tufts, take a hard look at other schools on your list. I would have gone somewhere else.

“Memorable 4 years”
November 2015CURRENT STUDENT

My favorite thing about Tufts is definitely the people the university attracts. Everyone is very passionate about what they do and I learned more outside of the classroom than in.

Lack of diversity. Too many students come from the same background (white, prep school). It was rare to find other students from public high schools.

Comments

Coming to Tufts was the best decision I ever made.

“Tufts review”
October 2015CURRENT STUDENT

Engaged, Helpful professors

Dining hall food(good vegetarian options)

study abroad program

Distribution requirements

Slightly far from the city - suburban setting

Climbing up the hill everyday

Comments

Make sure your personality comes across strongly through your writing

“Review of Tufts”
August 2015CURRENT STUDENT

Great location, right outside of Boston. Super Close to Harvard and MIT. Great Size, good research Uni with liberal arts education. Great IR program.

Worst economics department and average student body. Average prestige and hard to find jobs in investment banking and consulting.

Comments

Extremely liberal and gay friendly. Sometimes too political correct, as expected.

“Great undergrad experience”
March 2015FORMER STUDENT

Bright, intellectual classmates. Engaged faculty. Good academic resources and support. Appreciate that it has a true "college" campus.

Location outside Boston is quite far, if you do not have a car.

Comments

Just go here. Make sure you participate in all the awesome clubs they have here.

Tufts has "distribution requirements", which means we have to take 2 classes within 5 categories that cover natural sciences, humanities, etc. There is also a language requirement that can be filled with language and/or culture classes in tons of different languages. There are numerous research opportunities available to undergrads, from assisting professors and graduate students in biology, chemistry, and psych labs, to more liberal arts/humanities focused research opportunities. There is also lots of funding available for students to perform independent research or receive payment for outside internships. Tufts' professors are generally accesable but students must seek their professors out on their own which can be intimidating. Students are assigned an advisor somewhat randomly at the beginning of their freshmen year (and initial advisors vary greatly in their helpfulness). When students declare their majors, they can select their own advisor and I really like my two advisors although i've never had either of them in class. Choosing an advisor can be somewhat stressful. Lots of Tufts students study abroad and there is an extensive office that assists with getting into different programs, getting financial aid and getting credits to transfer (although I didnt end up studying abroad). Workload is difficult as Tufts is a academically rigorous school but students are passionate and not competitive with each other and there are lots of great tutoring resources.

The dining halls are amazing - tons of different options, vegetarian food, healthy choices! Safety on campus is high but because Tufts is in the outskirts of Boston, there are sometimes crimes committed on the periphery of campus which can be a problem since a lot of students live off campus. Students who live off campus live in houses that are bordering campus and this adds a lot to a fun social atmosphere around campus. The cost of living in these houses can be somewhat inflated but there is also reasonable housing on campus although the dorms could use some renewing! The library is AMAZING!! The gym is getting a much needed upgrade but overall facilities are good. Overall happiness is high - students like Tufts and are happy to be here. Students are very engaged and looking to get others involved in their field/cause/group/club. There are almost too many events that happen on campus!

I had to fill out the Common Application as well as a Tufts-specific application with separate questions and essays. There was also an optional additional essay that I completed. I applied regular decision and was interviewed by an alumna in my hometown. I filled out the financial aid application but was denied.

Awesome supplemental app that allows you to showcase yourself creatively.

Tufts has distribution requirements, which all students must complete. It is fairly easy to fulfill these requirements however, because they often overlap with classes required for one's specific major. The most extensive requirement is the language requirement, which involves 6 semesters of a foreign language (3 of which can be completed with a culture class). Class sizes are larger in intro classes, but are small in upper level classes. Professors are enthusiastic about their subjects and their students, and are easy to talk to. Professors will make time for students if office hours fall during your other class times.

Everyone I know is extremely happy with the quality of life at Tufts. Dining is amazing, the campus is perfect (not too urban, but close enough to downtown Boston), Tisch Library offers endless resources and has many desks for studying students.

Tufts had the most unique, creativity-inspiring application questions out of all the schools I applied to, and I applied to 12 other schools. I actually had fun writing the essays for Tufts because they allowed me to really be myself. I didn't feel like I had to be incredibly formal, as I felt with other schools. The interview process was extremely convenient and smooth. The admissions website is clear and informative. Overall, there was nothing about the admissions process which I would change.

Common App with individualized essay options. Optional alumni interview. There was an option for early decision but I did not do it.

Academics are challenging, but not impossible. For a few general lecture classes (Bio 13, Intro to Psychology, etc.) the classes are large, but for the most part classes are below 25 and are very personal and discussion based. There are some general distribution requirements which are helpful in giving direction and very flexible. There are many ways to complete your general and major requirements. My academic advisor is very accessible and incredibly helpful. All of the professors are very dedicated to their work and excited to share with their students. Study abroad is highly suggested for all students, and Tufts does everything it can to make sure all students have this opportunity.

Housing is excellent and the campus is gorgeous. We have one main library that is in the center of campus and fulfills all library needs including very friendly staff. Tufts University Police Department is very diligent and the blue light safety system is used on campus. The Campus Safety is super friendly and sees that the safety of an inebriated student as much more important than legal consequences. Students often do community outreach and service in the surrounding area. With few exceptions, everybody at Tufts is so happy to be there and the social scene is always vibrant.

Common App was accepted and the supplement was very enjoyable. Alumni contact you for interviews and the financial aid office is very helpful.