“Truman State University”
September 2016FORMER STUDENT

- Very Cheap/Affordable

- Great culture/atmosphere: lots of really smart kids who got into better schools end up going to Truman because of low tuition. This creates a great student atmosphere to learn in

- Small town can get dull, but its very cheap. You find ways to have fun.

- Smaller school, so lots of one on one time with professors. This is good if you need letters of recommendation later in your academic career.

- Small town is not for everyone.

- Not a huge alumni network. Job fair is also abysmal compared to Mizzou.

Comments

Don't waste a lot of money on your undergraduate education! Truman has a great regional reputation and many strong academic programs. It is a great platform for students interested in going to med or law school. For business majors, a bigger school might be more appropriate.

“Very Good School But Still Limited Name Recognition”
March 2016FORMER STUDENT

Small classes, great professors, and very reasonable tuition. Despite being lower profile nationally, I found my education trained me exceptionally well for law school and ultimately a career through the rigorous and varied liberal arts courses.

Location is hard to access and it has very limited recognition out of the Missouri/Illinois/Iowa area.

Comments

You will certainly get a great education, but make a point to utilize the resources of the school, particularly the access to professors and leadership opportunities.

It is a liberal arts university, so students experience a wide variety of classes. Writing is emphasized throughout most programs, as strong communication skills are essential in any degree. Classes were fantastic. The average class size when I attended was 24 students per class, which allowed students to get relevant and personal experience from the professor. There are a great number of study abroad programs available as well. The study abroad office is very helpful in organizing so you get the credits you need at Truman. The classes are challenging, but the students are never overly competitive with one another. It is a very cooperative student community.

Quality of life was great. The dorms have all been renovated recently and the academic buildings are for the most part in great condition. The cost of living in Kirksville is extremely low, making off campus housing and living very affordable. The town is smaller, but that provides the campus with a very safe and intimate community.

Application was free which was great. They required ACT or SAT scores, transcript, activities list, and an essay. It was very open, and the nice thing was that there were no hard requirements. They looked at me holistically for admission. It was very convenient to apply online, and application to the school also entered me for competitive scholarships, which was fantastic.

Truman is a liberal arts and sciences institution so the students are required to take an array of "general education" courses in a variety of subjects. What makes these courses different from simply a general education course is that while they may be a survey of a discipline, the curriculum focuses on how that subject is applicable to other subjects, the students' major degree program, and life after college. I personally have found the Liberal Studies Program (LSP) to be incredibly rewarding.

The major degree requirements does a great job of giving students a solid foundation in their discipline before and as a student is specializing or choosing a specific pattern or path.

Truman is unique in its academic advising in that first year students will often have 2 advisers. Aside from having a faculty member from a student's chosen field of study, student will also be assigned a general academic adviser can guide students on LSP requirements, minor requirements, study abroad possibilities, four-year plans, and possible major changes. This was very important for me in my first year at Truman because I came in as a chemistry major. My general chemistry professor was also my chemistry adviser so I was a little worried about approaching him with my uncertainty about remaining a chemistry major. I was able to talk my academic adviser who helped me assess my career goals and look at other degree programs that would be better for me.

One of the main reasons I chose to attend Truman was I really valued small class sizes, the accessibility of the professors and research opportunities. On one of my college visits, I met with one of the chemistry faculty members for over an hour. He showed my many of the labs and told me about his research. I then discussed with students their experiences doing research. When I arrived at Truman, I was thrilled to find it was just was I was hoping for: small class sizes, personal attention from the teachers, plenty of office hours and resources to get help if needed in any of my classes. There were plenty of opportunities to get involved with research, which was how I decided to change my major. Research in chemistry wasn't nearly as glamorous as I had expected it to be. This past semester I took a class in research methods for health science. My group members and I developed our own research questions, testing instrument, took and evaluated our data and presented our findings to faculty and students in the Health and Exercise Science department. Truman's focus on undergraduate research is so great that we even get an entire day off from classes in the spring so that students may present their research projects to the campus community. It's one of my favorite days of the year to learn so much from my peers!

Because Truman is a highly selective school, many of our students were at the tops of their high school classes and have prestigious goals for their future. The students can be very competitive when it comes to grades, but usually a very healthy competition in which people will study and work diligently together. The faculty realize this and generally grade very fairly with clear expectations. With the expectations for our high caliber students, the workload can be somewhat overwhelming for students. Stress is one of the most reported health issues of Truman students

I absolutely love attending Truman. Because Truman is in a small town, cost of living, crime and safety are not outrageous. Campus is beautiful, the facilities that are available to students are very high quality. The library is absolutely incredible with the resources available to us. The food is really not that bad, all things considered. The neighborhood is nice. Overall, I have incredibly happy with life at Truman.

The great thing about the Truman admission process is that for being a highly selective school, the application is very simple and free! By simply submitting an essay (about the topic of choice), transcript, and a record of the activities from high school, one can automatically be considered for the most prestigious scholarships.

The academic climate of Truman is highly competitive, with students taking courses very seriously. Every course has its own level of difficulty, but it can be assured that most, if not all, of each Truman student's classes will require a significant amount of effort and commitment. It should be mentioned, however, that although classes are competitive, each student's schedule is completely individualized; the student has the power to decide how difficult each semester will be and which classes to take.

Overall, Truman provides outstanding teaching to students. Depending on the course, some students may find the quality of teaching to vary, but each professor genuinely cares about his or her students' success. As for my personal experience, I have found that my non-major classes have a lower quality of teaching; I think this is because the professors are experts in their field, not in teaching. This then causes conflicts in the classroom because although the professors are extremely intelligent, they struggle to translate information to students. In my education classes, however, the professors are either former or current teachers, as well, and are trained to be able to actually teach. Freshmen are, for the most part, consistently taught by full professors. Truman prides itself of this, and it is clear across campus that each student and course, regardless of the age or level, are held to the same "standards". The average class size is about 24 students.

Approximately 500 students per year study abroad. There are numerous opportunities to study abroad, and a moderate amount of emphasis is placed on doing so. Programs include semester-long options or summer options. Personally, I studied abroad Summer 2010 in Greece, where I toured the sacred sites and completed a research project on the Nemean Games. The trip was faculty-led, with two professors and 23 students in the group. The trip lasted 5 weeks and included student presentations throughout the tours. My experience was absolutely phenomenal and one of my biggest highlights of college.

Truman's residence halls are top-notch. In fact, they were voted 14th (best) in the nation this past academic year. All but two of Truman's halls are renovated with upgraded amenities and living spaces. The unrenovated halls are just as comfortable, however, with the same amenities, just not as new. Each residence hall includes various types of rooms, lounges, public kitchens and trashrooms, laundry, multi-purpose rooms, and hall desks for assistance, mail, and equipment rentals. The residence halls are very well maintained, with full-time housekeeping staffs in each building, and are comfortable no matter where one lives. The room selection process is very simple, with every option being online for students to choose. Students do live off campus, but they are usually upperclassmen. Most students live in the halls for at least two years.

There are three on-campus dining halls with buffet-style eating. The food is definitely edible, with some meals tasting better than others. There is always a cereal, pizza, deli, or salad bar option, though, if one doesn't like the entree choices for the meal. There is also always at least one vegetarian or vegan option at every meal. Nutrition facts for each food item are posted, as well.In addition to dining halls, there are three on-campus convenience stores with on-the-go options for students. Meal blocks, bonus dollars, or cash/credit may be used to purchase items. There is also a "Mainstreet Market" in our Student Union building. This is an alternative dining option, with a Blimpie sub place, Godfather's pizza, and Sky Ranch Grill.

Campus security is very secure. Security officers patrol 24/7 by either driving around campus, walking across the grounds, or walking through buildings, including residence halls. They have a special emergency and non-emergency number that can be called at any time. In addition, all over campus, there are emergency light poles where students can go and call Security to escort them to a location if they feel unsafe. I have never felt unsafe on campus; I have also never heard of anyone not feeling safe, inside or out. The community is extremely tight-knit, and it is a very home-like environment for students.

Kirksville is a very quaint town, with a population of about 17,000. The town is definitely dominated by college students and is rather quiet when school is not in session. The residents of Kirksville, though, are very receptive to the college environment and support events occurring on campus. As a college town, I would rate it an 8.5. It is wonderful; I love the size and the feel of the community. I only wish it was a little closer to a larger town so there were more options for shopping for essentials that cannot be found at Walmart.

The admissions process begins with the initial application. It is free to apply, and the application includes various questions and one significant essay. Once the application is submitted, the student can look around for various scholarships to have ready to submit if accepted. The early decision applicants are verified by November of their senior year of high school; regular decisions are gradual as they are submitted. When the student receives an acceptance, which is by mail, the envelope will include the acceptance letter, any granted scholarships or financial aid, and instructions on what to do next.

Truman State is a liberal arts univeristy, which means that students are required to take classes from different disciplines. Even though these liberal arts classes are required, class sizes are still small and intimite. I always feel that I can go talk to my professors at any point in time. Professors are absolutely amazing-- incredibly intelligent and yet extremely personable. Classes are tough, because Truman has a highly competitive atmosphere, but I believe that pushes students to do their best. I am constantly feeling challenged to be the best I can be here.

Campus is absolutely stunning and my perfect idea of what a college campus should look like-- red brick buildings, a beautiful green quad, lots of windows in the buidings-- I feel so comfortable there. The library, Pickler Memorial Library, is honestly one of my favorite places to hang out. It is huge, beautiful, comfortable, and a great place to get work done.

It is free to apply to Truman State University. The application for admission is also the application for most university scholarships, with a few exceptions. You fill out the acutal application, and also write an essay. The process is very streamlined and easy to understand. And, of course, it is always a plus that it is free!

Since Truman is a liberal arts college we are required to take a very broad range of classes, with most of our credits required for graduation coming from classes outside of our majors. As a biology major, I am required to expand even further from my major core requirements to not just include biology classes, but also basics in general chemistry, organic chemistry, and physics. Class sizes at Truman are usually very small. I have never had a class with more that 70 people in it, which I really like. With such small class sizes, it is very easy to go talk to professors about issues you are having in their classes and it is very easy to get to know your professors. Research opportunities are also readily available at our school. Grading is fair, but since our school stresses academics so much, every professor expects your best all the time and some exams and papers really push students. This said, the work load is usually manageable, unless you procrastinate.

I love Truman. I love the atmosphere that the college gives off. The school is just big enough that you don't know everyone on campus, but just small enough that you actually know a fair amount of people. Campus is wonderful and I couldn't ask for a more beautiful and inviting place to go to college. The people that go here are fabulous, driven people and I really love going to school here. The library is a great place to go study and has tons of books and the librarians are very helpful. Housing on campus is nice and all the residence halls provide a homey feeling. Kirksville is a small town, so some times there is little to do, but on campus there is always something going on, whether it be a football game or a movie night. Overall I really love coming to school at Truman.

Admissions begins by coming to Truman and taking a tour. While here on the visit you get to talk to an admissions counselor about your field of interest and what classes are involved in that major. The actual admissions application was done online and a writing sample of your own choosing was also submitted with the application.

Truman State University has a large focus on academics. Class sizes are comfortably small with lots individual attention. Staff members are very accessible if a student is struggling in a course. We also have an abudance of acadmic support resources around campus.

Campus activities truly make coming to Truman a positive experience. The activities on campus help build a strong community.

I feel that a great deal of attention is placed on the applicant as a overall person. Academic abilities especially in areas such as high test scores and GPA play a strong role in student's acceptance. To my recollection, the essay could be written on any subject matter which I feel demonstrates a willingness to allow applicants to freely express themselves. The application was very straight forward and scholarships were delivered upon acceptance.

Truman State, by designation of the state, is Missouri's only Liberal Arts and Sciences university. Because of this, the general and major degree requirements are interwoven in such a way that students may examine the world through many different scholarly perspectives. In this way, the major degree program is not an isolated academic realm, but rather a study which leads to an integrated conceptualization of the world that relates easily to other fields of academia. Though a liberally-sound education, students at Truman become well-rounded learners who think critically, broadly, and questioningly.

A trained team of first-year academic advisers provide assistance to new students with curriculum and transitional concerns. Once a student has chosen an academic major, they choose a professor within that discipline to become their permanent academic adviser. These professors meet with students regularly to discuss curriculum, networking, and professional topics.

Average class size at Truman State is 24 students, and courses rarely conform to a large lecture hall style of instruction. Personal attention and posted office hours make professors remarkably accessible on a daily basis.

Research opportunities are widely available to students regardless of academic major choice, and the annual undergraduate research conference highlights the successes of these projects, while affording researchers an opportunity to present, discuss, and defend their findings in a public forum.

Being a Truman State Bulldog isn't about taking the easy route or skating by: our motto "Excellence is no accident" is supported by the insatiable work ethic of our students. The workload, reasonably, is more rigorous than most public institutions because Truman students embrace a challenge, and consequently reap the products of their labors.

The quality of life for a student at Truman State is very good overall. The majority of residence halls have been newly renovated, but room and board is nevertheless affordable. Pickler Memorial Library contains resources and works to suit any student's interests (millions of titles are available), and maintains wide hours of accessibility. Located in Kirksville, Missouri, Truman State is a safe place to live, and the community and university work hard to make everyone feel at home. Many restaurants, attractions, and businesses give the Kirksville community a diverse economic feel.

Although Truman State is Missouri's only public institution with a "highly selective" Carnegie classification, the admissions process is widely available. The undergraduate application is both free and electronic, and includes a writing sample. Truman's admissions process does not contain an interview component, but most certainly is not devoid of personal attention. Admissions counselors travel to high schools frequently to discuss Truman State with prospective students, and admissions faculty are always available to have a private consultation with a visiting student, while tailoring the visit to the students interests and concerns. In addition to Truman's economically-feasible tuition and fees, combined ability scholarships credit students who meet certain ACT/GPA requirements with automatic financial aid. Truman State's admissions process is the first step toward becoming a Bulldog, and reflect the university's sterling reputation as the height of excellence in the Midwest.

The academic environment at Truman State University is challenging. In my program of Public Communication, I would estimate 75 percent of my faculty has their Ph.D. Although the courses are difficult and my professors have high expectations, they are always readily available to help their students succeed. Classes are intentionally kept small (approximately 25) so that students have a better opportunity to engage in dialogic learning with their professors and fellow students. Open discussions and questions allow real learning to occur, rather than strictly lecture-based courses. My professors encourage students to take advantage of their office hours, and encourage other forms of communication as well, including email and phone calls. The resources Truman students have available are remarkable; the library has numerous databases for research as well as professional reference librarians to utilize. The library is constantly busy-Truman students are truly students first. Truman offers a university-wide research conference each semester, in which students are able to showcase their work. In terms of studying abroad, Truman is consistently ranked for having the top number of students studying abroad each year, which averages about 500. There are over 50 countries in which students can apply to study. I studied abroad in Florence, Italy for an entire semester, and the experience was truly one of the greatest learning opportunities I was exposed to in college. Truman State University is extremely encouraging of students studying abroad, especially because it ties in with its mission of interdisciplinary learning.

The cost of living on campus at Truman is very reasonable compared to other universities that I applied to. There are two types of on-campus residence halls at Truman, community style and suite style. No matter the set-up, the Student Advisors serving as mentors for on-campus students are accessible and encouraging of student life. There was a strong sense of community built on my floor during my freshman and sophomore years living in the residence halls, and I am still friends with some people I met within my first weeks at Truman. There are three on-campus dining halls, plus a grab-and-go food market in our Student Union Building. I have never felt unsafe while at Truman, even walking around campus at night. There are full-time security officers on campus at all times, and there are emergency lights throughout the campus. The residence halls employ hall desk workers to check in students past a certain hour in the evenings in order to ensure only students are making their way into the dorms. Students at Truman are extremely hard workers; like I previously stated, students are challenged academically, no matter the discipline. Every student is a student first, and then an athlete or member of an organization. However, students at Truman do know how to have fun!

To be admitted into Truman State University, prospective students must excel on the ACT and complete an application, which also serves as a merit-based scholarship application. Truman Admissions makes the process convenient for prospective students; it is also a free application, so students are more apt to apply to Truman State University than schools with an application fee. Students are admitted on a rolling basis, so students applying prior to December 31 have a better chance to receive scholarships. Students residing outside of Missouri but still in the Midwest have a chance to receive a reduced rate of tuition. For example, I am originally from Nebraska, and my tuition is half in-state and out-of-state tuition. Prospective students are highly encouraged to take a tour of campus as a junior, and again as a senior to solidify their choice of Truman. As a Student Ambassador, it is my job to positively promote Truman to high school students and their parents, and demonstrate both the academic rigor and countless student involvement activities there are at Truman State University.