“UT Review”
January 2019CURRENT STUDENT

The culture of UT is probably the best part of the school. I enjoy the atmosphere and the teachers who strive to better their students.

Some programs are given more attention than others. In my program, I have had tons of huge lecture classes while others usually have classes with 15-25 people

Comments

UT is a great school for someone looking to go somewhere that has diversity as well as prestige.

Very demanding. Class sizes are huge. But professors do make themselves available.

Quality is amazing. I feel safe. People in the community are splendid. Crime is well reported and shared.

Typical apply texas application. Couple of UT essays.

-must take pre-requistes that only can be done at UT.

It's a holistic review to get into the business honors program. Thus, students need to be well- rounded. They can't just excel in one area.

Many of the general requirement classes are pretty big, but once you start getting into courses that are important they get significantly smaller. My professors were very accessible even in the large classes.

Housing isn't too bad, the cost is high, but about the same as off-campus in Austin. The library and other facilities are very nice. The food is pretty bad though.

very competitive program with excellent professors

the campus is a wonderful, vibrant community to live in

essays, and other standard applications

General and major degree requirements are relatively excellent and well-rounded. My academic advising experience was alright at best - they really only focus on what you need to get done at that moment as opposed to the long-term. Meaning, if I had known when I was a sophomore that an upper division, much-more interesting advertising class would count for an elective just as well as a lower division speech course, I would definitely have waited until my junior or senior year to take the more interesting (and more valuable to my major/chosen career path) advertising course. I like big classes so having 100 fellow students was great, but actually a majority of my classes at UT had 30 students or less. Professors are always available to students, you just can't be shy about needing and/or getting their attention - ask and they will help/talk to you.

Cost of living is pretty expensive, even if you live on campus. Off-campus living is constantly growing but the prices never go down - only up. When I first lived in Austin while going to school my rent was $550 (in 2004). Now, you're lucky to get anything for less than $650 (and yes, that's with roommates). Only if you live with at least four people can you expect to get a good deal on rent. But living in West or North campus is a lot of fun and worth it. The neighborhoods are pretty safe and you can't beat the proximity to campus. The bus system rocks.

From what I remember, the essay topics for UT were challenging but still relatively easy, and the length requirement was easy to obtain. The application process (online) went very smoothly - I really liked having the ability to save my application and return to it later so I didn't have to complete the entire thing all at once.

2007

I am at the McCombs school of business and I believe it to be the best of the best. We have great professors that are all very highly qualified and want their students to receive the best job possible. Academic advising has been key to my success at the college. They make sure that you are on track and really have a plan for all four years. I see my advisor at least 6-8times a year. Also, or career center is ideal. All of the advisors are there to help you with internships, job searches etc. They make sure that you are polished from head to toe so that students won't be intimidated during interviews.

COST OF LIVING=EXPENSIVE... worth it. I am in charge of a safety program on campus and I feel that it is very safe.. we have the best libraries and a lot of variety for studying... HAPPINESS-amazing

Being a public school we used to have the top 10 % rule... NO matter what high school you go to if you were in the top 10% of the class you automatically got accepted. I agree that students should be rewarded for their high performance in high school but I feel that the larger more competitive schools are at a disadvantage. For instance, a student from a small school could have an 89 GPA and still be considered in the top of their class while someone going to a larger school with a 99 isn't in the top ten percent. Therefore this notion is so that students in smaller schools have an advantage. Now the rules have changed and it is more like the top 7% automatically get in while the rest are picked out of a large pile. There weren't any interviews and it is impossible to receive financial aide if both of your parents work. There were essays on the application.

Fill out the ApplyTexas application and the UT supplemental application, which consisted of a few essays. Rolling admissions.

Major clases include general education classes and then major course work that gets more in depth.

Great!

UT takes only the top 10%. McCombs only selects the top 2% out of the students who apply.