“Big school = plenty of opportunities”
July 2015FORMER STUDENT

UT is a great school. Most of my professors were very approachable and cared about the students. Yes, some of the buildings are very old but the state continues to invest in the school and make improvements. I enjoyed the variety of classes which let me be creative in fulfilling graduation requirements and take interesting electives. For example, taking Asian-American history to fulfill a US history requirement and taking weight lifting, ballet, or scuba diving (including an opportunity to get CPR and NAUI certified).

Sometimes it's easy to get lost in the crowd. That not only means it might be harder for introverts to find friends because, most of the time, your classmates are just that, but it also means it will take more to make an impression on a professor in order to get a reference.

Comments

It might seem overwhelming at first, but the numerous student organizations and classes means that you can really carve your own path. It's great to have that flexibility at such a formative period in your life.

Class sizes are big at first when you are taking your core classes but as you get into major sequence classes the number of students decrease by a significant amount.

It is very expensive to live in Austin in my opinion but I always feel safe and I truly love my school.

Unique application questions, essays, resume and recommendation letters.

Amazing. I have learned more here at UT than anywhere in my life, and I'm an old lady of 22.

Live off campus, and you'll be so much happier.

Texas Common Application

Highly competitive, high workload, and above average expectations.

Two essays, one about academic experience and one over a topic that is important to you.

Class size is small, which is great. The teachers are for the most part really easy to get along with, but professional and "teacherly" at the same time. My advisor (Kristen Boyd) is GREAT! She knows me by name, and is really easily accessible. She really cares about what's going on in my life.

Study abroad is pushed and encouraged pretty regularly.

The library is amazing.

The admissions process was somewhat intimidating, but I feel overall it didn't ask anything of us that shouldn't be expected. There were several essay questions, they really want to get to know YOU, which was different than other admissions essays I've written.

Jester dorm is gross, small, crowded, and expensive. There is not enough housing on campus or campus cafeterias. Too much junk food.

Standard Texas application; essays, Test scores

2005 or earlier

General classes are the same general courses taken by most freshman at UT. the major specific classes are introductory to social work, what to expect from future classes and a good framework to expand from. There are specific study abroad programs to social work with which you will go with a group from our school, but you are available to apply to different programs. Workload depends on the class you are in, but a majority are discussion based, meaning your readings need to be done before class (the number or readings ranges per subject). Most do not have finals, but, have final research papers. Reflection papers are your main grades throughout courses. Class sizes depend on the course as well. Most range from 35-15. There are numerous notable faculty at our school.

Quality of life is fantastic. In a great neighborhood with access to downtown, very safe. Housing and food are relatively inexpensive compared to other schools. Off campus housing is extremely expensive, though. Library and facilities are for the most part in good conditions. Overall happiness of students is high.

Unique application process to certain school, essays, scholarship opportunities, personal statement required

Class sizes are larger than private schools, but small enough that you can get individualized attention from your professor. No class that I have been in for business school has had over 45 students. Study abroad is highly encouraged and a large percentage of the student population participates in study abroad.

Recently, we implemented plus/minus grading, making us more competitive with other schools. Within the Business Honors Program, there is an extremely competitive spirit. As the top students in the business school, we are vying for a limited number of job spots with the top Ivy League programs in the nation.

We also have research assistantship programs at our university to encourage students to look into research with professors. Professors are very accessible and always willing to help their students outside of the classroom. I have had multiple dinners at restaurants and homes hosted by professors so they can get to know their students better. Several of our faculty are very notable and have made a name for themselves in academia. One of my professors teaches consultants at BCG, MD Anderson do statistical research to find ways to cure cancer, and works closely with the government as well. I even heard one of my professors in a Continental in-flight interview about globalization.

The dormitories on campus are primarily old buildings, with the exception of 2 buildings that are very new. The cost is a bit high, but that might be because the housing cost includes your meal plan.

Facilities on campus are inconsistent. The new liberal arts buildings are very new, whereas many of the natural science or engineering buildings are very outdated. Despite the old architechture that some buildings have, they all have technology that enhances the professor's lecture.

There are several libraries on campus, with one primary one - PCL. I think the PCL is one of the largest libraries on campus and there is a multitude of materials for every subject that you could ever imagine. I once visited a Stanford library, and ours is not far behind in volume.

Crime and safety has been becoming more of a problem, but this is not unique to any campus. I live west of campus, within walking distance, and have never felt unsafe. Whenever there is any potential hazard, students receive emails and texts about potential dangers so they can prepare.

Overall happiness at campus is very high.

I applied to the Business Honors Program so I had a unique application on top of the common application. I had a phone interview as well. The year that I applied, there was not an early decision process, but the Business Honors Program does now to mimic Ivy League admissions. Scholarship opportunities were abundant and I received several, but not enough to cover tuition.

General requirements and core classes include a wide range of subjects and electives. Class sizes depend on the class, most upper division classes are smaller. Professors are generally available for help. There are plenty of research opportunities, extracurricular programs, and study abroad options.

Two essays, Texas Common Application, regular decision.

I am a student in the McCombs School of Business, a top 10 undergraduate business school in the country. However, I honestly think that getting into the school is more difficult than being in the school. Although the academics are good on paper, I think the program can be widely improved. As far as specifics go, I have outlined the following:

General Requirements--Every business student has a set of core classes that he or she must take, including the gen. ed. UT classes (like English, humanities, fine arts, sciences, etc.), general business core classes (Intros to topics like marketing, finance, accounting, business communication, etc.), and then major-specific courses.

Academic Advising--It is widely available and the team is great. It's a very simple process to make an appointment and the advisors are incredibly helpful.

Class Sizes--It depends but overall, classes tend to be pretty big at such a large university like the one I attend. It has its advantages and disadvantages.

Accessibility of professors and research opportunities--The thing about going to a large state school is that you have every opportunity you could ever want (and if it doesn't exist, you have the opportunity to create it), but you have to be proactive and seek out those opportunities if you want to take advantage of them. With such large classes, professors don't reach out and look out for your well-being. Instead, you must seek out their help and must take the initiative.

Competitiveness--In the business school, competition is rampant. Students are (in my opinion) pretty arrogant, competitive, and cutthroat. This is only exemplified in the honors program.

Grading--Each professor has their own philosophy on grades and students simply adapt.

Notable faculty--There are a lot on campus. You can seek them out if desired but they are scattered around.

Study Abroad--UT itself has a Study Abroad Office and then the business school is fortunate enough to have its own office as well. It's a great office and the opportunities are incredible and there a lot of them. They have them in most major countries, various types of programs from affiliated school, exchanges, etc., and are really flexible.

Austin is amazing. End of story. There's every type of person in Austin from hippie to corporate. It's great. As with any major city, all of the topics suggested in this prompt vary in quality across the city.

The admissions process is split up into 2 very different tiers: those who fall under the top 10% of their high school graduating class, and those who do not. Although I believe the state has decided to change the Top 10% rule to something more along the lines of Top 7-8%, when I was applying, I knew that I was going to get in. It went through the Texas Common Application and was pretty straightforward. To be honest, for those of us who were in the top 10%, we didn't have to try that hard to apply--regardless of the quality of our application (most specifically, our essays), we knew we were getting in. Within the application, you had to specify what school or college you wanted to apply to be in upon acceptance into the university. Certain schools require higher class ranks, higher test scores, etc. From what I understand for those who are not part of the Top 10% rule, it's a difficult process. There's a statistic that suggests that students admitted under the Top 10% rule can only make up 75% (or something to that effect) of the incoming class, and that the other 25% must be reviewed holistically. With the volume of applicants that UT receives, people fight for spots in those 25%. I think it's really hard and a little unfair for those students who work really hard but fell a little short in being in the top 11-12% of their class for those to get in. Additionally, UT heavily favors in-state students, and getting in from out-of-state is incredibly difficult. There are a lot of implications to these numbers, but the admissions process was simply send in test scores, apply via the Common App, and write a few essays.