“Love This University!”
September 2018FORMER STUDENT

The Culture - the students, faculty, and staff are all amazing. The campus is one big family

The size of the campus is big - difficult to walk everywhere

Comments

Going to UNC is the best decision you'll ever make!

“UNC Chapel Hill”
July 2018FORMER STUDENT

Culture, diversity, academic rigor, and location -- the campus is beautiful

It can seem too large at times. Intro classes can be impersonal.

Comments

Try and get into a North Campus dorm or one of the new South Campus dorms.

“Perfect college town”
May 2017FORMER STUDENT

No cars needed. Small classrooms where you can sit down with your professor.

If you do not get into the business school, the econ department does not have great financial courses

Comments

It is a college campus with a very diverse student body.

“UNC c/o 2014”
September 2015FORMER STUDENT

School pride, beautiful campus, leading professors, strong athletics, it's not Duke

Career Services could be much stronger, especially with regard to non B or J school students

Comments

Carolina was one of the best decisions I made in my life. I chose Carolina over a number of other schools, virtually all of which were closer to home. But I've never questioned my decision, because the people I met and the atmosphere I got to become a part of made the distance worthwhile. I wish I could go back.

“Highest quality of people you'll even meet”
August 2015FORMER STUDENT

The people I met made my four years at UNC some of the most important of my life. There were so many amazingly accomplished people who also led balanced lives--they performed well in classes, played sports, gave back to the community through meaningful long-term volunteer opportunities. The standard is to be involved in as much as possible, and it makes for a very rich experience.

Still a large school and can be tough to find a place to fit in initially. Despite academic prestige, sometimes the social scene seemed to be more important.

Comments

Look into the Honors program. When I was there, it was open to everyone on a class-by-class basis, so you could take some excellent individual courses with great professors without being overcommitted to an exclusive program.

“Best school”
May 2015FORMER STUDENT

Amazing professors, good access to classes, great social scene. Clubs are well organized and there is excellent student diversity

Hard to limit your activities! There are just too many great opportunities.

Comments

Take advantage of as much as you can. 4 years goes fast.

UNC's academic program is structured into 2 broad parts - a general curriculum and your major track. All students must fulfill "general education" requirements, which are a set of categories in 3 levels (Foundations, Approaches, and Connections) like "World Before 1750" and "Quantitative Reasoning." Major tracks generally run about 9-11 classes, depending on the major.

Class size is occasionally an issue freshman year, as introductory classes tend to be a little on the larger side. One of the great things about Carolina is that as you progress, the classes get way smaller. Additionally, first-years can sign up for first-year seminars, which are 20-person max classes taught by senior level faculty on a topic selected by the professor.

Academic advising is a bit lacking. Many professors moonlight as advisors, and unfortunately they are sometimes ill-prepared for a question that requires more thought than filling out a form. I've generally had a pretty positive advising experience, but I've also heard quite a few horror stories.

Carolina is competitive academically in the sense that everyone you will meet is a bright and intelligent person. It's not easy to get into Carolina, and that shows. But if your high school is the kind of cutthroat competition that mine was, you'll find the atmosphere at Carolina extremely refreshing. Carolina students are not out for the #1 ranking or to seek to beat out all the other students. More importantly, Carolina students are interested in engaging with each other - whether that's inside the classroom or out of it in the form of extracurriculars.

Living in Chapel Hill is a dream. It's a bubble, it's a fantasy land, and it is the land of opportunity. Grandiose statements aside, whether you live on or off campus, you'll have a fantastic "quality of life" at Carolina. Housing is affordable both on and off campus. Campus itself is absolutely BEAUTIFUL, especially in the early fall and spring.

The facilities are top notch, particularly the science buildings and the athletic facilities. The libraries are plentiful and whether you're looking for a social studying environment or a small hidey-hole to squirrel yourself away, you'll find it.

Crime is about what you'd expect in a small Southern town - relatively low. Campus is pretty safe.

The application questions were a selection. For instance, I distinctly remember having to pick from a list of 5 questions for one essay. The personal statement essay was not a selection - it basically said to write whatever you want.

There were no interviews, and at the time of my application UNC had both early action and early decision. I don't know if they still do.

Standard general requirements, the things that you would expect (science, foreign language, English, etc.)

Major requirements depend on the major, some are more demanding than others

Given its size, academic advising is excellent. You have two advisors - one in the general college and one in your major. Both were always helpful to me.

Professors are very accessible, but it does depend on the department or major. Accessibility of professors attracted me to a smaller major.

Plenty of study abroad activities. The study abroad office was a huge help for me in deciding to do a Semester at Sea.

Cost of living is OK. It's a college town, so apartments are expensive.

Town-gown relations are pretty good, so long as students don't act stupid in family neighborhoods.

2006

We are required to complete general education requirements, including foreign language, literary arts, dramatic and fine arts, social sciences, mathematics, hard sciences, experiential education, etc. Some of these requirements can be fulfilled through AP scores. Carolina is fairly generous with AP scores. I came in with 36 credit hours. You are required to meet with your adviser at least once every semester. During this meeting, the student and the adviser review the student's academic worksheet. Any questions are answered. Advisers have regular office hours, so if the student has any question beyond the meeting he/she can visit his/her adviser as often as necessary. 51% of classes are fewer than 20 students. Math classes are capped at 35. Foreign language classes are capped at 25. First-year seminars (classes exclusively for first-years) are capped at 15. When the class is large, there will be a required recitation. This means that students go once a week to essentially a review session that is led by a Teaching Assistant (TA). The TAs are typically graduate students typically who are very highly qualified and knowledgeable. Professors and TAs are required to hold office hours throughout the week; if a student can't meet during these office hours, he/she can easily schedule an appointment with the professor or TA. Research opportunities are readily available and are not limited to the hard sciences. While the classes are difficult, students are not operating by a cut-throat academic mentality. Students do not typically discuss GPA and/or grades loudly or blatantly. Students respect privacy and confidentiality. Many faculty have a lot of tenure here and are world-renowned. Nevertheless, they are humble professors who are very approachable. About 40% of students study abroad at least once during their four years here. There are over 300 programs in over 50 countries, and getting transfer credits are fairly easy to do. Scholarships, financial aid, etc. are available for students with financial concerns about studying abroad. Typically a student takes an average of 15 hours (about 5 classes) during one semester. The minimum is 12 hours to be a full-time student, and the maximum is 18 (although it is easy to overload and take 19 or 20).

I completed Carolina's application in the early fall as an early action applicant, and received notification in January of my acceptance. I was glad that I got the opportunity to describe in detail why I couldn't necessarily take certain classes at my high school (this was an optional portion of the application). I also got the chance to answer the optional essay at the end of the application. In March, I received an invitation to join the Honors Program here. I also received an invitation for "Scholars' Day." I was given material to read and discuss in a session at Scholars' Day with a UNC professor. After the discussion, which was held in a classroom at UNC, each invitee was given a blue book in which to write for 30 minutes about the previous discussion of the topic. I received notification two weeks later that I was offered the "Carolina Scholars" Scholarship. I ended up declining the scholarship because I also received the Morehead-Cain Scholarship. I accepted the Morehead-Cain Scholarship and am now attending UNC as a first-year.

Merit scholarship opportunities are excellent.

The essays are unique and are very important to the admissions process... have fun and show off your personality and interests.