“Prestigious Public University with Tremendous Opportunity”
February 2020CURRENT STUDENT

UNC Chapel Hill is not only a prestigious public university, but it is a prestigious university period. The academics are top-notch (you are going to work for your degree), the facilities are great, and it might be one of the most beautiful campuses you'll find. It is also one of the best athletic programs in all of college. Given the mix of superior academics, superior sports, and superior beauty, you'll be hard find to find a college as great as Carolina.

Most of the kids coming here were the top 10% of their high-school class. One problem when you come here is that you feel not as intelligent as the other students which is a feeling you might not be used to. It can also be a challenge to up your game. Also, another downsize is the size of the school depending on what you prefer. Campus is huge, you'll walk or take the bus a lot but it is still solid.

Comments

Be prepared to earn your degree. Carolina is not a diploma mill and nearly every academic department requires hard work. Also avail of the opportunities but dont feel like you have to do everything because you wont find time to do everything.

“Love This University!”
September 2018FORMER STUDENT

The Culture - the students, faculty, and staff are all amazing. The campus is one big family

The size of the campus is big - difficult to walk everywhere

Comments

Going to UNC is the best decision you'll ever make!

“UNC Chapel Hill”
July 2018FORMER STUDENT

Culture, diversity, academic rigor, and location -- the campus is beautiful

It can seem too large at times. Intro classes can be impersonal.

Comments

Try and get into a North Campus dorm or one of the new South Campus dorms.

“Perfect college town”
May 2017FORMER STUDENT

No cars needed. Small classrooms where you can sit down with your professor.

If you do not get into the business school, the econ department does not have great financial courses

Comments

It is a college campus with a very diverse student body.

“UNC c/o 2014”
September 2015FORMER STUDENT

School pride, beautiful campus, leading professors, strong athletics, it's not Duke

Career Services could be much stronger, especially with regard to non B or J school students

Comments

Carolina was one of the best decisions I made in my life. I chose Carolina over a number of other schools, virtually all of which were closer to home. But I've never questioned my decision, because the people I met and the atmosphere I got to become a part of made the distance worthwhile. I wish I could go back.

“Highest quality of people you'll even meet”
August 2015FORMER STUDENT

The people I met made my four years at UNC some of the most important of my life. There were so many amazingly accomplished people who also led balanced lives--they performed well in classes, played sports, gave back to the community through meaningful long-term volunteer opportunities. The standard is to be involved in as much as possible, and it makes for a very rich experience.

Still a large school and can be tough to find a place to fit in initially. Despite academic prestige, sometimes the social scene seemed to be more important.

Comments

Look into the Honors program. When I was there, it was open to everyone on a class-by-class basis, so you could take some excellent individual courses with great professors without being overcommitted to an exclusive program.

“Best school”
May 2015FORMER STUDENT

Amazing professors, good access to classes, great social scene. Clubs are well organized and there is excellent student diversity

Hard to limit your activities! There are just too many great opportunities.

Comments

Take advantage of as much as you can. 4 years goes fast.

We are required to complete general education requirements, including foreign language, literary arts, dramatic and fine arts, social sciences, mathematics, hard sciences, experiential education, etc. Some of these requirements can be fulfilled through AP scores. Carolina is fairly generous with AP scores. I came in with 36 credit hours. You are required to meet with your adviser at least once every semester. During this meeting, the student and the adviser review the student's academic worksheet. Any questions are answered. Advisers have regular office hours, so if the student has any question beyond the meeting he/she can visit his/her adviser as often as necessary. 51% of classes are fewer than 20 students. Math classes are capped at 35. Foreign language classes are capped at 25. First-year seminars (classes exclusively for first-years) are capped at 15. When the class is large, there will be a required recitation. This means that students go once a week to essentially a review session that is led by a Teaching Assistant (TA). The TAs are typically graduate students typically who are very highly qualified and knowledgeable. Professors and TAs are required to hold office hours throughout the week; if a student can't meet during these office hours, he/she can easily schedule an appointment with the professor or TA. Research opportunities are readily available and are not limited to the hard sciences. While the classes are difficult, students are not operating by a cut-throat academic mentality. Students do not typically discuss GPA and/or grades loudly or blatantly. Students respect privacy and confidentiality. Many faculty have a lot of tenure here and are world-renowned. Nevertheless, they are humble professors who are very approachable. About 40% of students study abroad at least once during their four years here. There are over 300 programs in over 50 countries, and getting transfer credits are fairly easy to do. Scholarships, financial aid, etc. are available for students with financial concerns about studying abroad. Typically a student takes an average of 15 hours (about 5 classes) during one semester. The minimum is 12 hours to be a full-time student, and the maximum is 18 (although it is easy to overload and take 19 or 20).

I completed Carolina's application in the early fall as an early action applicant, and received notification in January of my acceptance. I was glad that I got the opportunity to describe in detail why I couldn't necessarily take certain classes at my high school (this was an optional portion of the application). I also got the chance to answer the optional essay at the end of the application. In March, I received an invitation to join the Honors Program here. I also received an invitation for "Scholars' Day." I was given material to read and discuss in a session at Scholars' Day with a UNC professor. After the discussion, which was held in a classroom at UNC, each invitee was given a blue book in which to write for 30 minutes about the previous discussion of the topic. I received notification two weeks later that I was offered the "Carolina Scholars" Scholarship. I ended up declining the scholarship because I also received the Morehead-Cain Scholarship. I accepted the Morehead-Cain Scholarship and am now attending UNC as a first-year.

Merit scholarship opportunities are excellent.

The essays are unique and are very important to the admissions process... have fun and show off your personality and interests.

Standard general requirements, the things that you would expect (science, foreign language, English, etc.)

Major requirements depend on the major, some are more demanding than others

Given its size, academic advising is excellent. You have two advisors - one in the general college and one in your major. Both were always helpful to me.

Professors are very accessible, but it does depend on the department or major. Accessibility of professors attracted me to a smaller major.

Plenty of study abroad activities. The study abroad office was a huge help for me in deciding to do a Semester at Sea.

Cost of living is OK. It's a college town, so apartments are expensive.

Town-gown relations are pretty good, so long as students don't act stupid in family neighborhoods.

2006