“UofA”
November 2018CURRENT STUDENT

Great weather, some amazing professors and great options out of the medical business or engineering school.

Outside of those colleges they don't offer much help to students in the job search.

Comments

U of A is amazing, it's definitely got a superficial level to it, but if you find the right people you wont get sucked into it.

“Satisfied”
December 2017CURRENT STUDENT

Large diversity of programs and activities

Strong in research

Beautiful campus and friendly people

Not top ranked for B-school

Expensive (as most schools)

Lack of intellectual curiosity from many students

Comments

Focus your comparisons between UofA and other schools by looking into the specific department(s) that interest you.

Professors are willing to help anybody with questions. They don't tolerate cheating.

Nice environment, people are friendly and everything looks in good shape and clean.

Upon applying to business school, you are required to submit a resume and a cover letter. A test is given about Business M ath and Accounting afterwards there is an interview of about two people asking questions about why you want to go to Business School. If you do well on both the test and the interview you get accepted or else they'll allow you to take the test a second chance and if still you do not pass it then that's it. You have to wait till next semester to reapply.

I just recomend anyone to expect the heavy amount of homework. My advice is to get tutoring, such as going to the think tank or to instructors' offices hours.

Living on campus is expensive, that's why I live at home with my family. The library is easy to access and you do ot have to be a former U of A student to use the computers there.

The application process is straight forward, the only thing an applicant may get stuck at is writing a good personal statement. Students get the opportunity of receiving financial aid and even the Arizona Assurance Scholarship which covers about everything a student needs.

I enjoyed my major classes the most. My classes were small because my major was small, it was a close community in which we could rely on each other and gain support from our teachers.

I recommend living off campus at an apartment, that is not university owned because it is cheaper and there is more space.

I made the decision for my major before i attended college, the problem was finding the right college that offered my major. To apply for a college, fill out the application and all that is required for admittance to the college.

Foundation and/or general education courses consist of Tier One and Tier Two Natural Science, Individuals and Societies and Traditions cultures, as well as Humanities and Arts courses, respectively. The class sizes, as is expected for a large university are large in NATS, TRAD, and INDV courses, whereas English Composition and the accompanying discussion sections are otherwise small, and are generally limited to twenty students. As for major division courses, such as those required for my Spanish major, class sizes are small, and well-structured. There are an innumerable amount of academic opportunities for both high-achieving and motivated students, including several readily accessible resources for study abroad programs, major selection, competitive honors courses, and research opportunities.

Housing facilities, as well as the surrounding entertainment, dining, and various other venues throughout the Tucson community are more that sufficient, and fantastic for college students.

Unique application questions combined with an online application and the eventual informing of a regular decision and the offering of a scholarship

Classes can get up to 300 students. Big classes like that will break out into discussion groups or labs once a week for more hands on learning. Professors all have office hours, so just because you have a big class doesn't mean you can't get help from your professor one on one. 98% of professors have the highest degree in their field, so you're being taught by the best of the best. Like any university, different majors require different general education classes. Some classes have curved grading scales, others work strictly on a point system. I've loved my teachers, and the interactions I've had with all of them.

Dorms were great here. Very fun and a good way to make lasting friendships. Tucson is a college town so there are a lot of houses and apartments near campus for student housing. The libraries on campus are pretty nice. They have a lot of study rooms to work in. Some have tables made of dry-erase boards so you don't have to get up to write on the board. Tucson is a big biking town, mount Lemon is a great place to hike, and the city is pretty artsy. Besides having tons of shops and places to eat, fourth avenue has a lot of fairs and festivals throughout the year. University Blvd is a fun place for students to hang out, especially for students living on/near campus because of its proximity. The union has an big arcade with a lot of billiard tables, and a lot of places to eat. Highland market, Park student union, and UMart are all cool places to hang out, buy living necessities, and get food near the dorms. Although the weight room is always full of frat bro's, the rec is new and super nice. It has TV's on treadmills, a bouldering wall, basketball courts, racquetball courts, a heated pool, and indoor mini-track. If you take a tour, definitely check it out.

The application was pretty simple. They took your high school GPA, extracurricular involvements, SAT or ACT test scores and based your admittance and scholarships based on that. They also have a scholarship website that is very helpful with applying for extra money.

Students are given a huge variety of general education classes to complete in addition to their major or minor classes. They group the classes very well and they have appropriate difficulty levels. The majority of the general education classes have a large number of students (my largest was 500 students) but it didn't bother me because I'm an attentive learner and sat in the front to make sure I didn't miss anything or was distracted. My adviser was very personable and patient with me, my teachers were all very easy to contact (all offer office hours and appointments) and the study abroad opportunities are one of the best parts of the school in my opinion. I studied abroad through another program because the one at my school fell through but Uof A offers many different programs in different cities and they ensure you get valuable credit in advancing your college career. I strongly urge everyone to study abroad and UofA does a fantastic job of promoting it.

The UofA just built a few more dorms and already had a booming campus life. Many freshman or incoming students live on campus and are very close to dining halls, athletic fields and events, libraries, the theater on campus, Campus Health, etc. Everyone I know who lived on campus their freshman year say it was the best decision they ever made. You meet so many new people because you're constantly around students your age and who are going through the same challenges or experiences as you. The cost of living is decent and affordable, there are multiple libraries available and study rooms inside the dorms, there is a wide range of food and UofA is adding healthier options every year, and the campus is very safe 24 hours every day (they have their own police and emergency alerts throughout campus you can activate if you are ever in danger. I found that when students live on campus, they are happier because they are in the mix of the constant activities at the school. UofA offers so many different ways to get involved, events to attend, and activities to participate in. Even if you're not a sports fan, the football and basketball atmosphere is hard to avoid and not enjoy at this school. UofA members are passionate people who have a sincere appreciation and devotion to their school. The reason why I loved UofA so much was because of its true college atmosphere. Tucson is a small town and a lot of the focus goes to UofA.

I don't really remember the application process or what was on it. I believe we made regular decisions, it was a common application and there were multiple financial aid/scholarship opportunities.

Haven't had any problems yet except in the general education classes. All science/engineering/math classes have been amazing.

I'm an engineering student. It is not really possible to rate my experience a 10 unless I didn't care about my grades.

Grades must be good. Essay.

Core classes include Geometrical optics, physical optics, E&M, solid-state optics, and quantum optics. Class sizes usually range from 10 to 35 students.

Requirements include GPA 3.0 or higher, 3 letters of recommendation, transcripts, statement of purpose, CV, GRE, BS in optics, mathematics, physics, engineering, or similar field.