Core requirements and study abroad

Rich community

Common application or specific TCU application with optional creative page

Again, it's a been a long time and I think the academics at TCU are stronger now than they were when I attended. But we did have general requirements that included a math course, two science courses, a writing course, and a few others (cannot remember). I don't recall the major degree requirements. We were assigned an academic advisor, but visits weren't required. Class sizes were GREAT, especially in our major and minor classes. Most of those had fewer than 30 students. Accessibility of the professors was also outstanding. I never felt that they were too busy to see me or were too focused on research to work with me. In fact, it always seemed that teaching, not research, was the top priority. I did well in college and I worked fairly hard for my grades, but never felt that I was killing myself for As. I did not study abroad (although opportunities to do so were available and I wish I had!).

I loved living on campus. Housing was fairly standard, but fun. Campus facilities were great. Didn't use the library much, but dining was fine. I loved the TCU neighborhood. Always felt safe.

It was nearly 12 years ago that I applied, so it's hard to remember everything! But I don't believe there was a common application yet in 1998. I remember having to answer some short questions, as well as submit something that reflected my personality. It could have been an essay or something more outside the box. I think I sent in some kind of replica of my ballet bag, since I had planned on a professional ballet career before deciding to attend college. I applied regular decision and did not apply for financial aid, as we would not have qualified on the FASFA. I did, however, receive an academic merit scholarship.

2004 or earlier

From what I can tell everything is top quality in the USA. Class size is what I like the best. 18-30 students pretty much the standard. There are your 200 people general classes for pretty basic courses. Like "Introduction to..." Professors are alwyas available. The Journalism major is tough but rewarding.

great campus neighborhood. If you live in a fraternity or sorority you can kiss your non-brothers/sisters good-bye. "The Greek" as it is called is far away from the real scence, but it seems they like it that way since they are left alone, just be prepared for that. The dining plan sucks. You get unlimited swipes to enter to eat buffet style, but can't leaev. Eating on the run is a hassle. Library is 24 hours. Crime is very seldom, but I feel is starting to increase due to TCU's rising popularity in the football team.

TCU took either the ACT or SAT scores. I turned in the "common app". I didn't have to turn in an essay. Not sure if everything has changed since. No interviews. I followed Early Action (non binding early decision). I got accepted in December 2005. I was given an academic scholorship in the process.