“Good school”
December 2018CURRENT STUDENT

The low cost to attend the school and the education.

The lectures and too many people at the school in my opinion.

Comments

There are many events you can attend and there are a lot of buildings around campus.

“Grad”

Bad Facilities

Bad Food

Bad Sports

Bad Attitudes

Comments

Great bang for your buck. Great med school and dental school.

All students, despite major, must complete a set of DEC classes or core classes. No matter what your major is you must take these classes which include classes from writing, math, science, the performing arts, and social studies. Major degree requirements are intense with possibilities in certain majors to get your bachelors in four years and your masters a year after that due to starting masters research in your senior year. Academic advising is always available. Professors are always helpful during office hours and research opportunities are endless with our state-of-the-art labs. Grading is fair and competitiveness is what gives my university its edge over other schools. We have many notable faculty who have one everything from the Pulitzer Prize to the Noble Prize in Economics. Study abroad opportunities are endless ranging from Scotland to New Zealand to the national exchange student program where you don't even have to leave the country.

Cost of living is relatively cheap. There are available campus facilities such as dining halls and gyms located in all of the quads. The library is located in the center of campus and is evenly spaced from all of the quads. Housing can be either suite style or corridor style. A new building was just built that is half suite style and half corridor.

Personal essay or a previously graded paper from a high school english class. Early decision/action. Common application. Financial Aid. Scholarship opportunities.

We have DECs that are composed of our core classes that allow us to have a range of education and also give us the opportunity to learn new things even though we might ahve a selected major. I has the opportunity to study abroad it was one of the most amazing experiences of my life. I was able to find things about myself I never knew. I also was able to take a seminar class with the hospital where I was able to view a child birth. The class sizes vary from very large (600 students) to very small (10 students) but there are numerous help centers around classes. All the prof also have office hours and also we have numerous teaching assistants in proportion to class size.

I commute from campus But I still have the best experience at stony brook. I feel completely safe the neighborhood is amazing. There is always something to do on campus and I am always there.

Stony Brook is a very reasonable school but they do offer financial aid, and scholorship opportunites to the less fortunate. the admissions process was also done online so it was much easier.

General Requirements: Diversified Education Curriculum (DECs) A-K which focus on providing each student with a well-rounded college experience. DECs are modified for certain majors (such as majors in the College of Engineering & Applied Sciences). 4 Required Skills: Writing, Foreign Language, Math, American History. Also require a certain number of upper division credits & require all transfer to complete a set number of credits at SB in order to graduate (Residency Requirement)

Major Degree Requirements: Vary by major. In the College of Engineering & Applied Sciences (and many other science majors), the courses are all math driven.

Academic Advising: You have an advisor within your individual department, and are assigned one in your Undergraduate College for your freshman year (UGCs separate students based on interest not major and create smaller communities within the greater Stony Brook one). There is also an academic advising center centrally located which has a plethora of highly skilled & helpful advisors for all other students on campus. College of Engineering & Applied Sciences has their own advisors due to the extremely sequential nature of the majors.

Class Sizes: Vary by course; Large lectures for general courses but smaller classes (under 20) are offered for various classes & upper division courses tend to be smaller. Upon entering the university, each freshman is required to take UGC 101 and 102, which are classes of no more than 30 students that help to assist in acclimating them to the university community and allow them to cement a strong bond with a faculty member on campus. This is also offered (highly recommended but not required) for incoming transfers.

Accessibility of Professors: All professors have set office hours, as do their Teaching assistants. In my experience though, most professors have an open door policy and are also easily accessible & helpful via e-mail.

Research Opportunities: Stony Brook has a plethora of these on campus; most professors are more than willing to take student into their labs and many start as early as their freshman and sophomore years.

Competitiveness: High; many classes are graded on a bell curve (ie you are evaluated based on how well you perform in comparison to the rest of the class).

Grading: For the most part fair, but it varies from one professor to another. Sometimes these policies hurt the students, so I feel that coming up with a way that ensures that all professors are rewarding students for their hard work would be ideal (Based on bell curve grading in one of my classes an 84 was a B- and an 85 was a B). I also don't agree with the letter grading system because I do not think professors fully realize the impact that giving a student a B- (2.7) instead of a B (3.0) affects the student's GPA.

Notable Faculty: Too many to count. Many departments have world renowned faculty members.

Study Abroad: Wonderful department that facilitates this. Whether for an entire semester or an intersession; in the US or another country, the sky is the limit and the professional staff there are true advocates for the program and do everything possible to enable as many students as possible to go abroad.

Workload: Much more intense than high school. Hours of reading and studying, plus homework assignments.

Housing: Suite or corridor style; 24 Hour Quiet; some building equipped with air conditioning; buildings are renovated every 5 or so years

Cost of Living: Affordable (off campus is cheaper though generally)

Campus: SB Transit is a bus system which gets students all over campus, and also to and from the Mall and Target on weekends. There are special express routes to our commuter lot. Train station located on campus & Suffolk County transit buses come to campus also. 6 quads, each with a specific color & theme. Each quad also hosts specific events & programs which are available to all students; commuter and resident alike. Commuter services also hosts a variety of programs, such as the very popular Drive-In Movie.

Facilities: 16 Sinc Sites; Computing center, dining facility & fitness center in all quads; Laundry & Study Areas in each building; Technical Support Center; CAD Lab; Machine Shop; Campus Bookstore

Community Relations: Through Athletics and initiatives by everyone's favorite mascot, Wolfie, Stony Brook University has taken the community by storm and become a place which most Long Islanders can relate to. The more immediate community is truly a part of the Stony Brook family, attending both games and campus events.

Crime & Safety: University Police located right on campus. Residential Safety Program is available at night to walk students back to their dorms. UPD will also drive students from one area on campus to another at night. Each building has a student sitting at the front desk each night checking ID's and guests must be signed into the building. Blue Light System is in place. I have never felt at all unsafe in my 4 years on Stony Brook University campus.

Overall Happiness: Stony Brook gets a bad reputation due to the sheer number of commuters; many of whom are at Stony Brook because of the family obligations they have at home. There is always something going on at Stony Brook, whether it be an organized event or program or an Athletics event. If you have a positive attitude and are an active member in University Life, then you are going to have an amazing college experience because Stony Brook, as large as it is, still manages to maintain that sense of community and belonging.

SUNY Common application to submit transcript and extracurricular activities & awards

Separate personal essay for Honors College Application (has rigorous academic requirements), which evaluates students based on how well rounded they are and what is unique about you.

I had to submit my application by the Honors College deadline (which was January) as opposed to the regular deadline (which was March 1)

class sizes vary depending on your major, lots of research opportunities, competitive...

common application