“Great opportunities”
August 2015FORMER STUDENT

Sprawling NY Campus. President's Society is a life success fast-track.

The intellectual rigor takes a back seat to giving students good grades for completing their work on time.

Comments

Get involved from day one. Get busy and stay busy. Great marks alone will not be enough to take you to the next level.

I received an application waiver from St. John's and applied normally. The essay was also standard and the application process did not include an interview. They offered me the most financial aid, which helped solidify my decision to attend.

Core requirements include: english, theology, philosophy, social science, music/art. Academic advising is so-so, students need to be more informed about classes they need to take. Professors are readily available. There are research opportunities, but I don't know about any of them. Not too competitive in grading. I don't know of any notable faculty, but they are mostly intelligent and capable of teaching. WONDERFUL study abroad opportunities!

Love it. Visitation sucks a little.

Online or paper applications. Onsite interviews. Essay and recommendation letters are not mandatory but encouraged. rolling admission. Accept common application. Financial Aid and scholarship opportunities are great, and all accepted applicants are reviewed to see if they are eligible.

Cores include three philosophy courses, three theology courses, three english courses, one history, one speech, one Discover New York course, two foreign language courses, one math, one science, and some general electives. Major requirements require about 10 accounting courses. Class size is mid-range, about 25-30 students on average. Professors are generally accessible during office hours or e-mail. It is competitive, but it depends on the professor. Some grading systems are much easier than others.

Cost of living is not cheap, about 15,000 with a meal plan for two semesters. The residence halls are newer compared to most colleges, and they are decent. The library is open 24/7 for studying, but the actual library to take out books is only open until certain times throughout the week. There are many dining options, but the food is sub-par. The neighborhood can be dangerous at night, but it is not too bad if you walk in a group. Safety is very big on campus, almost too uptight. Overall happiness on campus is not very high, but improving.

They offer a generous amount of scholarship to most students as compared to more prestigious universities. They do not have many unique application questions, and their interview was quick. I believe no essay was required.

Philosophy and theology core requirements as well as the usual general education requirements. Class size are about 30 in the core classes. If you are in the Honors classes or higher up in your major courses, number decrease. Major requirements vary.

Housing is expensive and the rules are strict and cumbersome. The food is alright. Judiciary affairs is cruel. There is public safety everywhere. The individuals who work in residence life and very caustic and not helpful. There is not enough housing, so procuring it after your freshman year is near impossible and nothing short of a headache.

Free online application which takes seconds to complete, since it consists of your basic information. Many scholarships given, which is why many people come to St. John's.

core classes that are weird(philosphy,theology) that teachers take way to seriously. very nice class size,

2009

It was good.

I'm a biology major- all my science classes are directed toward the MCAT, however, I do not want to be a doctor. Academics are poor at best, most professors will read from the book, read from their notes or read from the powerpoint. I do most of the teaching myself.

The residence halls are nice. Cost of living is rediculous, especially for students. Library is small (it's actually big but space is taken up by many offices) crime is rampid- every two weeks an email is sent describing another student mugging. Most students are interesting in transferring, I wish I did. After 4PM on weekdays/ during the weekends, the school is a ghost town. Everyone lives on Long Island or is from Queens. So all the commuters or psuedo-commuters leave campus all together any second they get.

No essay, no application fee, the application itself is about a page. Admission is VERY easy and simple. I personally with admissions was more strict and actually worked to recruit intellectual students interested in education.