Cost of living is somewhat expensive, however the experience is very much worth the money. We, along with other colleges in the AUC, use the library located on Clark Atlanta University's campus. There have not been any incidents of crime or safety issues on campus in the four years I have been here and students can agree that we feel generally very safe in this environment.

Spelman provides its applicants with essay questions that are unique to the institution and its values. Online applications are preferred over paper applications.

There are general, major, and minor requirements. We also have exceptional research programs, various electives, and excellent study abroad programs. The class sizes are often small and teachers are able to give you one on one assistance.

Prospective students must fill out an application complete with a critical essay section, financial aid section, scholarship section, and scholarship opportunities either on the Spelman website or through the Common Application. Prospective students may choose between Early Action or Regular Decision.

Academics at my school (especially in the sciences) is both excellent and rigorous. General requirements offer a diverse liberal arts background and major degree requirements give ample preparedness for life after Spelman. While research opportunities are few on campus, they are easy to find with perseverance. The workload is tough and can sometimes be stressful. Grading depends on the professor but overall is more stringent in the sciences than in liberal arts. Competitiveness is very high among students.

All awesome!

One unique question on the application was whether the applicant was related to any Spelman College alumnae. It led me to believe that legacy is very important here. There were early decision, early action and regular decision applications. The financial aid office was very open with meeting with applicants and provided me with a lot of assistance.

The general requirements include math, english, a foreign language, physical health and education, etc. The requirements for the major fields vary and the academic advisors are extremely helpful. The classes are relatively small and that's good because the professors have more availability.

The housing is as well as can be expected for the age of the historic (to the institution) buildings. The cost of living on campus is expensive. Our campus is beautiful and well-groomed. Overall I am happy, although, the food could be a lot better.

For me the application process was relatively easy. I applied early decision using an application that I had printed off the internet. They do not, however, offer a lot of financial aid or institutional scholarships.

Math - up to 200 level

Language - up to 200 level

English - First-year composition

Social science - semester

Physical Ed - two semester

academic advising available

small class sizes

research opportunities available

study abroad and domestic exchange available

housing is older

campus is well manicured

library is on a different campus

cafeteria has limited hours

neighborhood is high-crime area

community service within the community

campus security is excellent within our gated community

limited scholarships available for first year students

no interviews unless requested by admissions

two recommendation letters

professors have high expectations and are accessible, however, they do have a tendency to be very empathetic to the point of hindering struggling students. We are a very competitive school but we do not tear each other down in the process. Our fourth hour requirements make each class more rigorous and allow us to apply class material in different ways outside of our typical academic model of a paper or a presentation. The workload is heavy. Study abroad is very accessible and the college is working to make sure every student has the opportunity to have an experience abroad. Our general requirement courses are unique and interesting, such as African Dance and Biology of Women.

It is easy to be happy here, but the crime rate is high in the surrounding area, and the library is going through some superficial renovations but could use more books and more recent publications.

Each student is selected for her academic success, her leadership abilities, and her commitment to community outreach.

Spelman challenges you to and expects you to think outside of the box and to achieve higher levels of academic progress than you would normally aim for.

Regular application process with a personal essay.

The class sizes are small and professors are very accessible.

Food is edible, but not the best. Marta is very accessible. Housing is ok, make sure to address all problems to RD, RA, and maintenance. Safety on campus is excellent. Public safety always available. Never walk alone in the neighborhood at night.

The admissions progess calls for 2 recommendations, an essay , transcript and application. I would suggest evoking a lot of passion in your essay and why

spelman is the school for you. Lots of community service and efffort because the application is also for scholarships. Remember to apply early action because you will have a better chance for everything and you show the admissions officers how much you want to go to the school

As a biology major, I started my major as soon as I got to Spelman. My major requires 4 core biology classes, organic chemistry, general chemistry, physics and biology electives. Academic advising has been great and very helpful. Class sizes were perfect for me with about 20 students. The opportunities at Spelman are endless. The workload was doable and I got to study abroad during the summer. Competitiveness was very low and the grading was always fair.

My life at school was good although I did not like the visitation rules. The cost of living was very high at Spelman and that is why I choose to move off campus. The library is an okay resource that I did not use very often because of the internet. The neighborhood really needs to be catered to by the college community.

I was a regular decision student and the application process was online. I was considered for a loan and not for a scholarship upon entering Spelman.

Liberal Arts institution. Core requirements in each discipline. Class sizes are small (ex. largest ever was about 60 students, but for me have gotten as small as 3 when you get into your major). Only undergraduate institution so faculty are devoted to their students and committed to finding AMAZING opportunities for the summer internships, ones during the school year, and even jobs.

Housing is an experience not a stylish living situation, but creates a community for you to feel a since of belonging for the first year. After that you get a lottery number and get to pick your room, and the housing gets better as you progress through your studies. Dining, well it is not the best I won't lie but the good way to look at it is you avoid the freshman 15 or excessive weight gain. Safety is great, maybe even excessive which is great reassurance for parents. The community is great, if girls have concerns about being at an all girl institution they should find comfort in having an all boys school (Morehouse College) and co-ed school (Clark Atlanta University) across the street and you are free to cross register at either. Library is shared between all three campuses and was just remodeled this year.