“SMU Cox School of Business”
July 2017FORMER STUDENT

Class Availability, Involved Professors, and Networking Connections. Professor Besio is great.

The academic advisors are not helpful for the most part. Also, take advantage of the Cox library resources.

Comments

SMU is a great school to start attend if you are looking to work in Texas, especially DFW. The networking options are unbeatable.

“Loved it”
August 2015FORMER STUDENT

The people are unmatched. There are ample opportunities to network and the benefits of this network begin before you even start your full time career.

The football team is terrible and student support for all sports except basketball is pretty apathetic.

Comments

This school is more than just a pretty campus, it is a great way to start your career.

“Best Place to Make Connections and Have Fun”
July 2015FORMER STUDENT

The campus is beautiful. The life is awesome. The professors are accessible. But more than all of that, the connections you make at SMU are without compare. You will move forward with connections and opportunities of which others can only dream.

SMU is a terribly challening school academically. As a result, it does not carry the same power that a Vanderbilt or Stanford B.A. would carry.

Comments

Go visit the campus and talk to the students. See if you could picture yourself there or not. If it isn't for you, that's fine. But if it isn't, don't go to SMU. You will not reap the benefits.

There is general education, and professors are very accessible. The business school is very competitive, study abroad is great!

It is expensive but safe

Common app, early action, interview is optional

Students are required to take a total of 41 hours in the general education curriculum. The 41 hours consist of Rhetoric, Mathematical Science, Information Technology, Wellness, Science and Technology, Perspectives, Cultural Formations and Human Diversity. Each major has their own degree requirements. Students are required to meet with their academic advisor before signing up for classes each semester. The average class size for an upper-classmen is about 15 to 20 students. The professors are always available to their students. Not only do professors have office hours during which they encourage students to stop by with questions, but the professors at SMU really show an interest in getting to know each and every one of their students personally. Often times, professors will provide their students with their cell phone numbers and students are free to call professors at any reasonable time. Research opportunities are constantly provided for students to take part in and the different opportunities are often posted in each departments main lobby or e-mail blasted to the student body. A lot of the professors have their Masters degree and have had experience working in the real business world in the field in which they are teaching which provides great insight in lectures. We currently have hundreds of study abroad opportunities for our students, as well as a semester at sea. Students have the opportunity to study abroad over the summer, fall, spring or for the entire academic school year. The workload is very heavy on students but the education that our students are receiving is phenomenal and is beneficial in becoming marketable in the real world after graduation.

On campus housing is wonderful. We have two all freshman residence halls as well 11 four-year residence halls. We have ten libraries on campus. Campus dining is awesome and the culinary staff does a wonderful job with switching out the food so the students are not eating the same things every day. SMU is conveniently located in prestigious Highland Park, a highly affluent neighborhood where families are eager to raise their children. SMU does not see a lot of criminal activity on campus as we are under three police jurisdictions.

The admissions process is very competitive for applicants. The admissions staff looks at an applicants application holistically, meaning that various things are taken into consideration, including grade point average, test scores, extracurricular activities and so on. Applicants are not required to interview with their admissions counselor but are highly encouraged to do so. Applicants have the opportunity to apply either for the early decision, early action or regular decision deadline. The admissions counselors are very much so available to applicants and are a wealth of information regarding financial aid and scholarship opportunities.

Academics are great.

It is hollistic.

Academics at SMU are top notch. They require diligent work and the class sizes are great too. The Cox School of Business is competitive and a great school to be in.

Great quality of life at SMU

I had to complete 1 unique essay and fill out an application for early decision

General Education Curriculum, major and minor degree requirements

Academic advising for first years and more specific advisors after a major is declared.

Average class size is 20 people; my smallest class was around 7, biggest around 80.

All professors are available to meet with during office hours and to fit the student's schedule.

Competitive in a friendly way: Everyone wants good grades, but are willing to help each other out.

Notable faculty: YES. Specifically, I had one history professor who was the first to uncover the Manhattan Project and received Professor of the year 2 years in a row at Princeton. Many of my professors work outside of teaching so they teach from real world experience (not just theories from the book, they bring in clients and speakers, and they give students real examples to work from)

Over 100 options for study abroad all over the world for summer months, semester long, and year long.

Everyone is very happy at SMU. Nice amenities, beautiful campus, safe neighborhood and location, great city amenities, wonderful shopping, close ties with Dallas community, on campus housing guaranteed but not required, dining halls are clean and tasty, 9 libraries + George W. Bush Presidential Library.

Common App, Texas Common App, and SMU Specific App accepted. The Common Apps have unique question and essay supplements. Early Action and regular decision available. Financial aid and scholarship available (75% have financial aid of some sort). Interviews available with your region's admission counselors (who are very helpful, informative, and personal.

They take Common App or a unique app. I wrote an extra essay to recieve the Hunt Leadership Scholarship as well as common essays. The scholarship opportunities are readily available for those who look, at least as far as undergraduate is concerned.

There are core classes for your major, in addition to electives and CF classes (cultural formation). Class sizes are usually around 30 students (depending on what you study), and it is rare for classes to be more than 70 even as an intro class.

Students submitted the Common Application, and I believe there was a supplement as well. At first I was put on the wait-list to SMU, but later was accepted with a small academic/merit scholarship. The reason I was accepted was because I was persistent in showing interest, had reached a high level in athletics in high school, and had made honor role my senior year. I am a good student, and had to demonstrate that.