“SMU Undergraduate Review”
November 2015CURRENT STUDENT

Small classes. Teachers that care about what they teach. Great location in Dallas.

This is definitely a rich kid school. Low level of diversity as well.

Comments

SMU is easier to get into then many of the top tier schools, but the students place just as well in the work world as any top 20 school (at least in business).

Not intimidating but challenging, professors are very approachable, lots of study abroad opportunities and research opportunities

Cost of living is expensive but campus is beautiful and so are the facilities; the people are also very friendly and the neighborhood around SMU is very safe and beautiful

Unique application essays and questions required, interviews in-person are recommended, there are lots of scholarships, and early action application deadline is recommended.

SMU is currently in the process of changing the general and core class requirements. Most majors require around 40 hours of coursework. Small class sizes are one of SMU's greatest assets. The largest intro classes in the University fall somewhere around 90 students, while business majors can expect around 40 students per class, engineering/premed/history/etc (liberal arts degrees) majors can expect 25 students per class, and arts students can expects a max of around 10 students per class. Faculty accessibility is also second-to-none given SMU's small student body and passion of the professors to really make connections with their students. Study abroad is extremely popular on campus, especially at SMU's own satellite campus in Taos, NM. Additionally, any scholarships or grants that students receive travel with them where ever they choose to study abroad.

If the most, one of the most beautiful campuses in the country. Located in Highland Park, TX makes for a safe and comfortable atmosphere around the university. There are no through-roads on campus, so, although downtown Dallas is five minutes away, you truly feel like you are on a quaint collegiate campus. The facilities on SMU's campus are state-of-the-art and every building is gorgeous from the first one ever constructed to the one's finished this year. I would be hard pressed to find a university where students are more happy on a regular basis than at SMU.

SMU now offers the Common App as well as the options for Early Action. SMU is extremely generous with the scholarships and grants it offers to accepted students.

It is fairly easy to add minors or double and triple major, because many classes overlap for different programs. SMU does have a General Education Curriculum which consists of two english classes, math, science, and 5 perspective courses in (art, philosophy, religion, history, economics, and literature. every graduate is required to complete the GEC.

Class sizes are good, my biggest class was Biology with 91 students. However, you still don't realize it's that big.

Grading is fair. We have many faculty who are leaders in their respective fields. Study Abroad is very easy to work out with the university and they even help you to find scholarships for it.

Housing is real nice, the facilities are top notch. There are many libraries and one that is open 24/7. The cafeteria services are great, sometimes we have lamb, roast beef, fish and food from different countries. Daily you can get omelet and pasta made to your specifications. There is also a late night eating area on campus open until midnight.

The application is fairly straight forward. It's Common Application with essays that just ask you to describe yourself. Interviews only occur when you are selected for the President's Scholarship or the Hunt Leadership Scholarship which everyone is screened for.

great academics, great professors, FABULOUS study abroad. amazing research.s

i LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE it. so happy.

admissions process is very effective. scholarships are GREAT. it's nice to have early action as well

Classes are challenging, but not so much that you learn nothing. I have learned so much through my professors. Again, they truly want you to learn, and improve yourself. Economics teachers were stand outs for me this year, but so was the entire engineering faculty. Not everything always works out though. Grading is difficult, more difficult than in my high school. You have to work hard to get an A.

SMU is a beautiful place to be. The campus is incredible. The location is unbeatable. Dallas in at your fingertips. SMU has every facility you could dream of, whether it is a tanning pool, tennis courts, theaters, or even a Chick-fil-la. SMU provides an incredible campus for the students to live on. All the dorms are extremely nice, and further they include a maid service.

The most welcoming school, truly wants each and every student to be on campus. Constant mail and calls from SMU from helpful and knowledgeable people. Common Application and a small supplement. Scholarship opportunities are endless. I am lucky enough to have been awarded a large scholarship which I didnt even know existed until SMU sent me the information. This school wants you.

Wonderful and safe

Academics here at SMU are more competitive than one would think. I was even surprised. A student cannot get declare a major until the end of their sophomore year. Students must take a rigorous set of pre-requisite classes for a year in order to see if they would be eligible. This applies especially to the business program, pre-med program, engineering program, and the corporate communications & public affairs program. Professors are VERY accessible. They email back within a half day and will shift their schedules around if a student's schedule does not coincide. There are plenty of abroad opportunities with scholarships to go along with them.

Housing and food are exceptional. The cost for housing and food combined with tuition is a little pricy, however. We have 9 libraries. The neighborhood of Highland Park is very safe and we are under 4 police jurisdictions. Crime is not really an issue. Students are overall VERY happy and the campus is gorgeous. Dallas is a great city to live in and the culture is very friendly.

SMU has its own unique application and encourages interviews. One of the questions on the application is, "If you were to have your own book about yourself, what would its title be?" It also has early action and regular decision with lots of scholarship and financial aid opportunities.

I believe very strongly in SMU's general education requirements. I believe that I have received a great foundation in areas that I would not otherwise have given much consideration to (psychology, sociology, etc.). What I think is greatest about the requirements, however, is that they are not too much of a burden. I know at other schools you must take so much extra course work that to double major or change your focused area of study more than once results in a fifth year or multiple summers spent on campus making up for lost ground. At SMU, however, one can spend more time studying what he/she thoroughly enjoys, and double majoring with a minor in a completely unrelated area is not unheard of. As a student of the Cox School of Business, I had to complete a subset of seven business related courses with a 3.20 GPA in order to be enroll in business courses. (This GPA requirement has since increased to a 3.3, I believe) I did not feel that this was particularly difficult, but now that I have years of experience in the business school, I can see how they feel the need to weed out the students who simply cannot demonstrate even the most basic ability to succeed in some of the most rigorous classes on campus. Perhaps one of my favorite things about the university is that we are taught by our professors and have experiences with our TAs only if we seek them out for help. I know at some bigger schools TAs will teach class sessions, and that is never the case here. Moreover, all professors are required to have office hours for us to interact with them on a one-on-one basis in addition to the time set aside for tutoring with the teaching assistants. This provides a great time to not only talk about lectures, but also notable achievements of the faculty. Just to name two, I had a communications professor my freshman year who took a sabbatical in order to work with CNN during the 2008 presidential campaign and a current negotiations professor who frequently flies to Washington and had sat on advisory panels for both the Bush and Obama administrations. (Our class is actually preparing papers to be presented to the labor secretary at this time) While I spend plenty of class period listening to my professor give a lecture, my classes at SMU are also very interactive. We frequently do case study research, conduct experiments, or participate in simulations to further our learning experience. I also spent a summer studying abroad through the school's SMU in Oxford program. While there, I took 6 hours (3 in a traditional SMU style lecture class, 3 taught by an Oxford professor in the traditional English-style) and took trips throughout Europe, including London, Paris, northern France (including stops at multiple WWII battle fields and grave sites such as Normandy Beach), Belgium, and Italy. Looking back on it, it was one of the greatest experiences of my life and I would highly recommend it to anyone (I've heard it is in the works to become a requirement for all SMU students to study abroad at some point, an idea I fully support).

Over my years of attending church camps on college campuses throughout the southwest, SMU has by far the nicest housing facilities I have seen. I have been places with cinder block walls and tile floors where my bed stood on small pegs about 6-inches from the ground. Instead, SMU offers different styles of bathroom, semi-private study areas, halls that have mostly been renovated within the last 13 years, and security that allows me to sleep comfortable at night. With that said, it comes at a pretty penny. The school is situated in one of the higher-rent districts of the greater Dallas area, and we are reminded each year when we sign-up for on campus housing. Someone could easily live a few miles down the road in an apartment with a private bathroom, kitchen, and laundry room for an equal amount that one pays to live in an on-campus residence hall. However, you miss out on the facilities that the school has to offer. There are four libraries on our campus that I can think of, once of which is open 24/7 and three of which service specific schools but are open to all students. I have heard that our dining facilities are top notch from prospective students. I think they are great for college dining; however, after eating at the same place for years on end, everyone (including myself) would eventually say they would prefer something new and different. Moreover, we have a Subway, Pizza Hut, Chick-Fil-A, Einstein Brothers Bagels, and Starbucks on campus. We all feel very safe when walking down campus since we are under the jurisdiction of three different police departments: SMU PD, University Park PD, and Dallas PD. Needless to say, there are never any shady characters casually walking along campus. At night, we have a service that will pick you up from anywhere on campus and take you wherever you need to go in case you don't feel totally safe walking alone. Overall, I think we are very happy and live spoiled lives compared to students at some other local schools.

I opted to apply to Southern Methodist University during their early action process in the fall of 2006. I remember that the deadline at the time was November 1, which I still believe is true today. It was fantastic as I received my admissions paperwork just before the new year. I was required to submit an application for admissions as well as a high school transcript, SAT scores, resume, letters of recommendation, and one admissions essay. I also applied for the school's Hunt Leadership Scholar program, which is the college's second-highest merit award given by SMU. To apply for the scholarship, I had to write a second essay to be reviewed by the program's director in determining my eligibility. I received my first financial aid notice in late January; however, I was later invited to campus to interview for and was eventually awarded the Hunt scholarship which overtook any other financial assistance that I had received previously.

Very extensive course catalogue and class options.

Excellent facilities, friends, staff and faculty.

Early action, common app, SMU app. Recruiting team worked very hard to visit my school.