Application questions and essays, interviews (at least I did one), early dicision/action, financial aid, scholarships

2009

GREAT

Common Application

The core classes seem to be repetitive. However the majors in the business school are very intensive and enjoyable. They challenge their students to the fullest. All of the advisors I have talked to are very knowledgeable and helpful in their respective fields. The small class sizes are a personal favorite of mine at Sacred Heart. The professors are very easily accessible. Whenever I need to talk to them they are available. It seems to be a fairly competitive school which I do enjoy. Study abroad is vast. There are a lot of opportunities to study abroad. The workload is also very doable as long as you try.

Housing at Sacred Heart is exceptional. The dorms, for the most part, are up-to-date and clean. The cost of living is slightly high however. The campus is beautiful and they are constantly updating it to keep it new and fresh. The dining is lacking for the most part, which I find to be one of the most disappointing parts of the University. The library is outdated, however they are updating it this summer. The crime and safety rate isn't bad. With the University on the borderline of Bridgeport you are always looking over your shoulder, however for the most part I feel relatively safe.

The school recently is interviewing all applicants that apply to come into the college. They also offer early decision, not early action, which I am personally not in favor of. Sacred Heart University uses the common application in their admissions process. as for financial aid, they could be more helpful. After sending several letters and emails and making numerous phone calls to the office regarding financial aid, I was never responded to, which in my eyes is disappointing. Scholarship opportunities are very good at Sacred Heart, as long as you know how to look you can get decent scholarships.

My favorite aspect about classes at Sacred Heart is the class sizes and the rapports you can build with your professors. Classes range from about 25-30(at the most) which allows for you to meet with your professor if you need extra help. They also have CLA's which are students that do well in that specific class and help tutor students. I found the smaller class sizes to be a better learning environment and easier to focus.

I only lived on campus Freshmen and Sophmore year and had fun both years. Living on campus gives you the opportunity to meet new people and always know whats going on for the weekends.Although moving off campus saved me money for the cost of living, the memories made 1st and 2nd year were worth every penny.Sacred Heart also provides a lot of volunteer opportunies and community service to help out those in need in Bridgeport.

My application process was a little different because I applied to be pre-accepted to their physical therapy program. My essays asked for an explanation of why I wanted to attend Sacred Heart in addition to why I wanted pt persue a career in Physical Therapy. Interviews were pretty laid back and made me feel more comfortable about starting college. They are normally pretty good at helping students out financially. It its something you're concerned about,I highly recommend talking to someone who works in the financial aide office because they may be able to provide you with alternatives such as scholarships you can apply for.

we have a core of classes each student must take consisting of a religion, sociology, writing class, speech (communicating effectively class), philosophy, history (western civ), and english course you must take in conjunction with your major minor classes, classes are normally less than 30 students, professors are very accessible emailing or posting on blackboard within a day of a post

food is good, its definitely not home cooking but you have a wide variety, its in a safe area with a small structured campus, facilities are clean and new or newly rennovated, the university has a strong community relationship with the towns of Bridgeport and Fairfield around it emmersing its students in community service and service learning, strong faith base for those of the Catholic faith

unique application, essay about goals, there is early decision and you can put in a common application, financial aid comes quick after you are excepted and the school has tons of scholarship opportunities and programs

small class sizes

Expensive don't give good financial aid. I feel very safe here. Very happy

Most students go off campus junior and senior year. Bridgeport isn't the safest but everyone goes into downtown fairfield which is beautiful.

Early decision

There were core classes that every student had to take, including Introduction to Religion to reflect the Catholic spirit of the institution, but mainly there were just core sections in which students were allowed to choose which course they would complete that area with. Freshmen academic advisors are very helpful in guiding this decision process. After you'd chosen your major, there are classes that everyone in that major must take, but then there are the electives that students chose to complete their degree. For this, students are alloted a different advisor, with whom you must meet with in order to register for classes to make sure you're on the right track. Class sizes vary, as the core classes are usually larger with about 30 students, but the elective classes can be as small as 10. Regardless, professors are extremely accessible and always give you their contact information on the first day of class; they really care about their students and want to see them achieve. Once you're in classes for your major, they can become competitive since there are less students to compare with. Grading is different varying on professor, but they are usually very fair. The same goes for workload; each class is unique to the next. As the years go on, though, you'll find a focus on fewer, larger projects rather than tedious weekly assignments. Students do study abroad, but more popular than a full semester is the 2 week, 3 credit Ireland option, which is done over breaks from school, allowing more flexibility and less commitment to being overseas. Professors are truly great at this school and abroad - you're more than just a number to them.

Housing is offered all four years, but the last two are not actually on campus, so most students opt to rent houses in the local neighborhoods, which is both cheaper and offers more freedom - on campus dorms are patrolled by Resident Advisors, some of whom are pretty strict. Campus itself is very accessible and well-groomed; facilities are up-to-date. The library can get overcrowded during finals and midterms, but there are rooms that students can reserve for larger groups. Due to the aforementioned housing situation, the community relations are not ideal. Students can bring noise, garbage, and overall mischief to the neighborhoods in which they live. However, most students are respectful of their neighbors. Crime on campus rarely occurs, and it's usually not something very serious. Students in general are very happy.

Unique application questions, opportunities for scholarship based on high school achievements.

There is a core curriculum and a major area of study required for graduation. There is usually room for about 6 classes (depending on your major) where you can have free electives, or choose to pick up a minor. The advising committee gives you a freshman academic advisor, who will also be one of your first semester teachers (so you get to know them). Once you declare a major in sophmore year you will receive an advisor in your academic area. All advisors are very knowledgeable and accessible. You will need to clear your course selection prior to registration with your advisor before you will be able to register. Professors are extreamly acessible through e-mail and office hours, and willing to give as much help as needed. There is an extensive career development office that helps find internships, and research opportunities if you choose to do one (most majors require this). Grading in classes is fair, yet competitive. Attendence in classes is essential to success since class sizes will be no more than about 25 students in your core classes, and about 15 in your major. Attendence will play a role in your overall course grade, and professors will know your name and if you are there. Workload is alot but manageble if you can budget your time effectively. There is opportunities to study abrouad in any country, with SHU having campuses in Luxenburg and Ireland.

I was able to apply with rolling admissions or early decision. I applied with rolling admissions in November and was accepted by January. They are selective, but they don't just focus on the transcript and SAT scores. They are interested in the whole candidate and the extra curricular activities and involvement that the student had in high school. The admissions department is very receptive to questions and willing to talk to the students on a consistant basis. When I attended Accepted Students Day, my admissions counselor remembered me and where I was from. You receive very personal attention, and your essay should express who you are, because they will remember reading it. There are several opportunites for scholarships depending on merit and/or need. The financial aid office is also very helpful and your financial aid package will come in the mail about 3 weeks after your acceptence.

2009

There are a good amount of core classes that have to be completed for graduation other than that, you pretty much focus on your major. There are of course classes that are required for your major but they're all very interesting. Classes are fairly small and its very easy to get intouch with your professors. They are required to have office hours, you just have to make it up to yourself to meet with them.

SHU no longer required SAT or ACT scores unless you feel as though they will help you get in. The application and essay are fairly easy just don't wait until the last minute to complete them.