“Purdue University”
June 2016CURRENT STUDENT

The support of the alumni to pursue student interest and help them into their careers. Mitch Daniels is doing a great job of giving students a voice (even to the dismay of many faculty members)

The difficulty of working with faculty members to actually help their students as opposed to pushing their own personal agendas

Comments

Come in willing to work hard and willing to work with alumni to extend your network to ultimately land you that job you're going to Purdue for in the first place

“Overall Great Experience”
September 2015CURRENT STUDENT

great faculty, nice peer students, convenient facilities (eps. nice modern libraries, Starbucks has multiple locations on campus), Amazon one-day delivery on campus

The location is not ideal--rural area surrounded by corn field. Krannert school focuses too much on corporate employment.. Not too many alumni that work in IBD or real estate or fashion...

Comments

If you are an international student and need more career opportunities, schools located in the major cities (NYC, Chicago, Boston, LA, SF, DC etc.) will sorta give you an edge.

Tough core and major classes, somewhat passable advising, small classes, very accessible professors, lots of research opportunities.

Affordable on- and off-campus housing and excellent aspects of all other mentioned aspects.

Recently changed

Purdue requires everyone to get a basically broad spectrum education, classes like English, math, science, and a foreign language. Once you enter classes specific to your major you realy learn what you need to know to enter that feild with full confidence. There are incredible research and internship oppportunities and connections for all fields of study. Wonderful professors and Graduate student TA's and heally helpful advising. My advisor knows my first name, not just my ID number, and is really invested in seeing me succeed.

West Lafayette has become my home. It's a great community and I got to know many students that were living with me in my residence hall and they became my family. The food is better than my mom's and eberything is super clean and comfortable. There are a million and one places to study and everyone is really respectful of eachother.

The application is pretty standard but the essay question was part of the reason I decided to apply. They asked me what the best advice I've ever recieved was. The application was easy but the essay made me think adn I was looking fr=or a school that would chalenge me intelectually, so even from the application Purdue was doing just that.

It really depends on the year and class that you are in. You start out in more general larger classes, and as the years go on, you specialize and the class sizes become smaller.

Most buildings are really cool in design and have special features such as a cafe etc. The dining courts are new and serve amazing food, too. There is so much to chose from.

Take a couple tests and write essays.

Advising is strong, class sizes are smaller with grad students teaching and large with professors teaching. research is very common. grading is very strait forward. study abroad is very common.

many large libraries all over campus. dining is the best around i havent found any better college dining courts. yes i said dining courts. the saftey is huge especially since we are a dry campus. the strict rules keep things very safe and orderly.

unique application questions, essay, early action, regular decision, financial aid and scholarship preference to in state.

The engineering program lays out specifically what you need to take your first year, once you enter a specific type then there is also a fairly specific schedule that becomes more open to personal changes as you near graduation. One must keep a certain GPA to get in most engineering programs but some of the more popular require interviews. Class size is fairly large in most engineering class, especially in the beginning. The workload and classes are very challenging because of the time that is needed to be successful but dedication to grades can ensure a B. As far as studying abroad Purdue was very helpful when i decided to take a semester off to volunteer in India. They held my scholarship and did not require me to reapply.

Dinning at purdue is the best ever! Though it cost a pretty penny it is sooo worth it. Buffet every night, with a range of options and cultures. The resident halls are a little outdated in the styling and that there is no truly co-ed dorms. I always feel really safe on campus, the whole lafayette area is nice and the police are very good. I love this campus.

When I applied one just had to fill out an application. There is no early decision at purdue, everyone will find out at the same time.

It is required to take a couple gen eds in any major, but most classes are for the major itself. I have a very busy schedule working on a BS degree with pre-med classes on top of it. I have a great academic advisor who knows my program, and many minors/specializations, inside and out. The class sizes are on the larger size, but I'm in a degree with over a thousand people over the three years of students in it (sophomore - senior). The sizes get smaller the higher up one gets as well. The professors are accessible during their office hours, and can often be gotten to meet outside of them, but they are tremendously busy with research. Purdue is very research-oriented, so the opportunities for undergraduate research are great. The only issue is that it is often unpaid, but again, we speak on behalf of a public university. The classes are extremely competitive, especially with the foreign student presence we have. Grading is largely on a +/- scale, with some classes curved and some not. Dr. Nauman, a professor of both ME and BME, was in sports illustrated for his current helmet injury project. Professor Negishi received the nobel prize for chemistry for his discovery in organic chemistry. The school of ME pushes me very hard to study abroad, as does the university as a whole, because percentage of students that study abroad is a statistic they strive for. I will be studying abroad in Spain next spring, with my credits transferring back but not my grades (this was done to prevent worries about grades inhibiting students from studying abroad). My workload is large, but also necessary for me to be successful in my field.

The dorms at Purdue are old to a large extent, but have, for the most part, been renovated to include air conditioning. Many of the buildings on campus are new, with constant renovations going on to keep the school modern. The dining services are second to none for a public university. Students always miss it when they no longer live in the university residential system. Crime is very low, primarily consisting of an occasional drunk stumbling down the sidewalk and a stolen bicycle. Students tend to be quite happy, as long as they have a group of friends to enjoy college with.

There is one fairly short essay in the admissions process. The school looks primarily at test scores and high school GPA when selecting students. Extracurricular involvement becomes important when students are on the border of getting in and not, though it's expected that a student has been active in at least one club/activity even if their other credentials are phenomenal.

Having only completed my freshman year, the majority of my classes have been large gen ed classes that a majority of the freshman class has to take as well. However, I still found that the teacher's really do want you to succeed and they are always welcome to office hours and questions through email. They are very accessible. I also took two honors classes, which only had about 20 kids in them and I loved those as well. No matter the size of the class, you can get to know the professor, it just depends how much effort you want to put in and how you want to go about doing it.

I absolutely LOVE everything about living at Purdue. I think everything's fairly reasonably priced, and campus is just really fun. There isn't much of a town, but I think campus is self sufficient enough to provide a good time and comfortable atmosphere.

The earlier you apply, the better chances you have of getting in are, as well as getting scholarships and other financial aid.

Gen Ed classes are both small and large in size. Some are large lectures with 100-150 people and others are only made up of 15-20 students. Once you get into your core curriculum for your school almost all of the classes are small/ individualized (10-25 students).

All of the professors are very willing to help you out with studies or outside projects. The majority are very good teachers that make an extra effort to make sure we are prepared for the real world (referencing the current economy/world whenever possible).

Countless study abroad opportunities

Grading can be tough at times-- but it is very satisfying when you get the grade you have worked hard for.

Dorms are amazing-- mostly because there is GREAT dorm food. It's probably the thing I miss most about the dorms. Also there are countless activities for freshman to take part in so meeting people is pretty easy.

It's a safe campus.

The best part about Purdue is the old college feel with our red brick buildings, fountains, and many open areas for students to lay out and relax. It truly does not fee like a school with 40,000 people. It has a small school vibe and is very comforting during the spring, summer, and fall. The winters can be tough.

In order to enter the school you must complete an essay and a personal statement. To get into Purdue is decently selective, but once in the school, to get selected for specialized programs it become much more competitive. There are many highly regarded colleges within Purdue and they have strict standards. It may be a bit easier to get into Purdue, but to graduate with the degree you are interested definitely takes dedication and hard work. Not everybody graduates with the degree they were striving for, but those that do are highly qualified.