“Purdue University”
June 2016CURRENT STUDENT

The support of the alumni to pursue student interest and help them into their careers. Mitch Daniels is doing a great job of giving students a voice (even to the dismay of many faculty members)

The difficulty of working with faculty members to actually help their students as opposed to pushing their own personal agendas

Comments

Come in willing to work hard and willing to work with alumni to extend your network to ultimately land you that job you're going to Purdue for in the first place

“Overall Great Experience”
September 2015CURRENT STUDENT

great faculty, nice peer students, convenient facilities (eps. nice modern libraries, Starbucks has multiple locations on campus), Amazon one-day delivery on campus

The location is not ideal--rural area surrounded by corn field. Krannert school focuses too much on corporate employment.. Not too many alumni that work in IBD or real estate or fashion...

Comments

If you are an international student and need more career opportunities, schools located in the major cities (NYC, Chicago, Boston, LA, SF, DC etc.) will sorta give you an edge.

Depending on the school that you are apart determines your degree requirements. They vary in the number of credits needed as well as which classes are required. The grading in professor specific but all of the grades are letter grades with your GPA on a 4.0 scale. Classes sizes vary for each course. In my experience the intro courses are larger but as the semester progresses number of students that attend the lecture decreases, so if your in a larger lecture hall it usually isn't full so the class feels a lot smaller.

On campus I have a very high quality of life. The dorm I lived in freshman year was a lot of fun. It was the dorm where the engineering learning communities lived so we were all going through the same thing which made classes easier. For dining there are some many courses of where to eat and then when you pick which dining court to eat at there are so many choices as to what to eat. West Lafayette is a quintessential college town which make the community amazing because they truly love and support the college. I also have never felt that I was in danger waling on campus at night.

There was a university specific application, which included some short answer questions as well as an essay.

There are many classes to choose from ranging from easy to very difficult. There are also study abroad opportunities for all.

IT'S FANTASTIC! Its safe. Food is WONDERFUL! People are NICE. And housing is SUPERB.

There are a few essays and no interviews. Its best to apply before November.

There is a general focus on academics at Purdue. There are a considerable amount of intelligent, gifted students and teachers in every department. The university is a research university, however, so not all teachers are there to teach.

Housing costs are reasonable and the dorm life is of much higher quality than at other schools. The dining courts serve genuinely good food daily and are located all over campus. There are 13 libraries with access to any information you could ever need. The crime rates are very low, and the campus police make the whole campus feel safe. I have never met someone who has said they do not feel safe at Purdue.

The application only required a single essay and was done online. If you send in your application before an early deadline, you can receive and early decisions from them in December. Merit based scholarships are automatically applied based on test scores and GPA. These are unfortunately non-negotiable.

The general requirements and core classes for first year engineering are well put together. It is a strict curriculum. My major degree requirements have similar classes like most other engineering majors. First year engineering academic advising is very good. Classes sizes are usually 25-30 for a recitation and 200-400 for a large lecture. Professors and research opportunities are easily accessible. Many classes that are based on a curve are competitive. Grading is fair in most classes. An average student should be able to get B's for the most part. The study abroad opportunities are clearly laid out and many info sessions about these opportunities are present.

The quality of life at school is pretty good. Most people seem to vary between low middle class to high middle class. Off campus housing seems to be fairly cheap (if you find good places). Dorms seem to be fairly priced in comparison to other universities in the state. We have many different libraries on campus that are very accessible. Dining courts are campus are fantastic. Even for students not living in the dorms, there are many dining options close to campus. Crime will happen on any campus, but it seems that Purdue has a good system of alerting students when crimes do happen (text message system). People seem to be happy overall.

Usual application questions and essays. The application was very simple, took me approximately 20 minutes to complete.

It is required to take a couple gen eds in any major, but most classes are for the major itself. I have a very busy schedule working on a BS degree with pre-med classes on top of it. I have a great academic advisor who knows my program, and many minors/specializations, inside and out. The class sizes are on the larger size, but I'm in a degree with over a thousand people over the three years of students in it (sophomore - senior). The sizes get smaller the higher up one gets as well. The professors are accessible during their office hours, and can often be gotten to meet outside of them, but they are tremendously busy with research. Purdue is very research-oriented, so the opportunities for undergraduate research are great. The only issue is that it is often unpaid, but again, we speak on behalf of a public university. The classes are extremely competitive, especially with the foreign student presence we have. Grading is largely on a +/- scale, with some classes curved and some not. Dr. Nauman, a professor of both ME and BME, was in sports illustrated for his current helmet injury project. Professor Negishi received the nobel prize for chemistry for his discovery in organic chemistry. The school of ME pushes me very hard to study abroad, as does the university as a whole, because percentage of students that study abroad is a statistic they strive for. I will be studying abroad in Spain next spring, with my credits transferring back but not my grades (this was done to prevent worries about grades inhibiting students from studying abroad). My workload is large, but also necessary for me to be successful in my field.

The dorms at Purdue are old to a large extent, but have, for the most part, been renovated to include air conditioning. Many of the buildings on campus are new, with constant renovations going on to keep the school modern. The dining services are second to none for a public university. Students always miss it when they no longer live in the university residential system. Crime is very low, primarily consisting of an occasional drunk stumbling down the sidewalk and a stolen bicycle. Students tend to be quite happy, as long as they have a group of friends to enjoy college with.

There is one fairly short essay in the admissions process. The school looks primarily at test scores and high school GPA when selecting students. Extracurricular involvement becomes important when students are on the border of getting in and not, though it's expected that a student has been active in at least one club/activity even if their other credentials are phenomenal.

Advising is strong, class sizes are smaller with grad students teaching and large with professors teaching. research is very common. grading is very strait forward. study abroad is very common.

many large libraries all over campus. dining is the best around i havent found any better college dining courts. yes i said dining courts. the saftey is huge especially since we are a dry campus. the strict rules keep things very safe and orderly.

unique application questions, essay, early action, regular decision, financial aid and scholarship preference to in state.

It is extremely tough. Do not look at it as going to be easy. Many of the science,math, and engineering classes are huge lectures with a lab and a 30 person or so recitation. The English, Communications, and Foreign Language classes are smaller usually about 30 people.

Housing is pretty good. The dorms are all different but each one has something good to offer. The libraries are really crowded all of the time so you have to search for smaller places to study. Safety is great they have text alerts for anything that goes wrong. Cost of living in my opinion is pretty standard about 10,000 or so after food and everything is my guess. Dining courts are great if you do not care about your weight. They have great food and lots of choices, but many of the healthy choices are limited. They have a salad bar and fruit but many times the fruit is frozen. So, gaining weight with a meal plan can be expected. Overall I have been very happy with school and I would suggest anyone go to Purdue!

It was not too bad. You have to fill out general information. Pay I think 50 dollars. And write a short essay about something you have accomplished.

There are very few general requirements that all students must take. The only ones I can think of are introductory English and I know most, if not all, majors require some foreign language classes. These can be tested out of with foreign language tests or AP tests. Also, many, but not all, majors require COM 114 which teaches public speaking skills. Although there are not many requirements from Purdue as a university, each separate college has many core requirements that the students must fill and these are very different and specialized for each area of study.

Academic advising is great at Purdue. You meet with your adviser at least once a semester to organize your schedule for the following semester, but you can always schedule to meet with them more or come in during and walk in hours they may have. They will answer your questions about classes and registration and really know what they are talking about.

Class sizes can start out rather large. If you are taking a introductory class that many other students take like calculus or general chemistry, these classes tend to be very large and have a few different sections. As you progress in your education, class sizes get smaller as students start to specialize more and complete their core prerequisites. Also, classes that focus on language tend to smaller, such as english, public speaking, or foreign language courses since there is much more class interaction.

The professors at Purdue are extremely accessible. They all have office hours which are times every week where they are in their office and available to students in they have questions. They also many times will offer help sessions either on a weekly basis or before exams. They really do want the students to succeed.

Purdue is a research institution and has a great amount of research opportunities. If you are interested in research, it would not be uncommon to start research freshman year. Again, professors are very accessible if you happened to be interested in their research and would like to meet with them to talk about joining their team.

The workload is perfect in my opinion. It is challenging, but at the same time I have time to partake in extracurriculars to broaden my education. It is challenging enough to where you do have to study and spend time on your classes, but if this were not the case, I would not be satisfied. I came to college to stimulate my intellect and learn more complex concepts than high school so if I didn't feel challenged I would be disappointed.

I am happiest when I am at school. I absolutely love it there. Housing is great. Freshman year I started in the residence halls and found the sense of community I was hoping I would find while living there. Then Sophomore and Junior year I lived in a sorority which was a completely different, amazing, and fulfilling experience that Purdue offers. Campus is great because it is a walking campus and is very compact. You can get just about anywhere in 10 minutes and you don't have to worry about traffic that is driving through. Dining is great as well. The dining halls offer delicious food and with 5 different halls at different locations, there is tons of variety. There is a great sense of community at Purdue and people are very friendly. I have never felt unsafe on our campus but if I ever did, there are many resources for that as well. Overall, the people combined with the opportunities at Purdue makes for a very happy undergraduate education!