“Purdue University”
June 2016CURRENT STUDENT

The support of the alumni to pursue student interest and help them into their careers. Mitch Daniels is doing a great job of giving students a voice (even to the dismay of many faculty members)

The difficulty of working with faculty members to actually help their students as opposed to pushing their own personal agendas

Comments

Come in willing to work hard and willing to work with alumni to extend your network to ultimately land you that job you're going to Purdue for in the first place

“Overall Great Experience”
September 2015CURRENT STUDENT

great faculty, nice peer students, convenient facilities (eps. nice modern libraries, Starbucks has multiple locations on campus), Amazon one-day delivery on campus

The location is not ideal--rural area surrounded by corn field. Krannert school focuses too much on corporate employment.. Not too many alumni that work in IBD or real estate or fashion...

Comments

If you are an international student and need more career opportunities, schools located in the major cities (NYC, Chicago, Boston, LA, SF, DC etc.) will sorta give you an edge.

Depending on the school that you are apart determines your degree requirements. They vary in the number of credits needed as well as which classes are required. The grading in professor specific but all of the grades are letter grades with your GPA on a 4.0 scale. Classes sizes vary for each course. In my experience the intro courses are larger but as the semester progresses number of students that attend the lecture decreases, so if your in a larger lecture hall it usually isn't full so the class feels a lot smaller.

On campus I have a very high quality of life. The dorm I lived in freshman year was a lot of fun. It was the dorm where the engineering learning communities lived so we were all going through the same thing which made classes easier. For dining there are some many courses of where to eat and then when you pick which dining court to eat at there are so many choices as to what to eat. West Lafayette is a quintessential college town which make the community amazing because they truly love and support the college. I also have never felt that I was in danger waling on campus at night.

There was a university specific application, which included some short answer questions as well as an essay.

It is extremely tough. Do not look at it as going to be easy. Many of the science,math, and engineering classes are huge lectures with a lab and a 30 person or so recitation. The English, Communications, and Foreign Language classes are smaller usually about 30 people.

Housing is pretty good. The dorms are all different but each one has something good to offer. The libraries are really crowded all of the time so you have to search for smaller places to study. Safety is great they have text alerts for anything that goes wrong. Cost of living in my opinion is pretty standard about 10,000 or so after food and everything is my guess. Dining courts are great if you do not care about your weight. They have great food and lots of choices, but many of the healthy choices are limited. They have a salad bar and fruit but many times the fruit is frozen. So, gaining weight with a meal plan can be expected. Overall I have been very happy with school and I would suggest anyone go to Purdue!

It was not too bad. You have to fill out general information. Pay I think 50 dollars. And write a short essay about something you have accomplished.

love the clinical size and the way clinicals are set up. because of the direct admission we start nursing right away

love being in a sorority, it helps bring campus closer and smaller

essays about nursing. direct admission into the program unlike any other big 10 school except for Michigan

I've had a range of experiences with Purdue faculty members, but I'm sure any honest college student would say the same thing about their school. Occasionally I've had teachers who just seem to go through the motions, and they haven't made themselves very available to the students as far as office hours, help sessions, etc. However, while attending Purdue, I've also had the opportunity to be taught by some of the most brilliant, exceptional teachers that I've ever met. For the most part, the professors are extremely interesting and eager to assist students who make an effort to seek the extra help/attention. On top of being wonderful teachers, several of my professors have received awards for their achievements in research. Numerous professors at Purdue University allow undergraduate students to work in their research lab for credit hours, and this is an experience that I highly suggest taking advantage of! Classes are competitive, but all of the resources to help you succeed are available at Purdue. Lastly, the Study Abroad Office at Purdue is also a fabulous resource. Hundreds of Purdue students go abroad each year, whether it's for an entire Fall/Spring semester, a Maymester, or a 6-week summer program.

The housing opportunities for Purdue students are endless. There's a variety of dormitories for Freshmen, upperclassmen, and graduate students as well. They range in their amenities as well as costs, with the more expensive dorms offering more spacious, private rooms with other extra perks. All of the dining halls are wonderful. They serve food buffet/all-you-can-eat style, and students just have to swipe in before each meal with their student ID. Each dining hall has its own specialty, so students never get tired of the food! The other facilities are also great, like the libraries, computer labs, etc. Libraries are large with lots of private, quiet study space for individual students or rooms for groups. Several computer labs are open twenty-four hours, and they're spread all over campus so their locations are convenient as well. Crime is extremely low. I've never felt unsafe on Purdue's campus in the past two years. However, there are emergency phones located all over campus. If a student ever feels threatened, he/she can pick up the phone, and it automatically calls the emergency operator. The phones are easy to spot because they're located in bright yellow boxes with blue lights on the top.

The application questions and essay questions were pretty standard when I applied, but I think that things have changed a little since then. Purdue really values applying early, and they inform all of their early decision applicants around the second week of December. I rated Purdue as a 7 because the average grade for average for each new class has raised significantly over the past few years. Also, it's become increasing difficult to become admitted into some of Purdue's most prestigious programs, such as Engineering, Nursing, Pre-Pharmacy, etc. Lastly, whereas for my graduating classes academic scholarships were awarded automatically if students possessed above a certain GPA and SAT/ACT scores, additional applications are now required to receive these scholarships.

Purdue takes academics very seriously; all the students here know how much is asked of them in their classes and our faculty does ask for their students' absolute best. Before coming to Purdue, I heard how difficult it was to get an A in our classes, but I felt like after taking the class, I truly understood the material and got an A for it as well. At Purdue, your hard work is rewarded more than any other university. The faculty also wants to see us to succeed as well. Being in the Actuarial Science program at Purdue, our faculty member, Jeff Beckley, takes his teaching very seriously. He will make sure you understand the material, and will even take extra time to help you if his office hours enough. I remember freshman year I was in his financial math class, and he gave us his cell phone number and told us to call him if we ever had any questions because he wasn't going to be on campus all day every day. I honestly do not know where else you would have faculty care about their students that much.

West Lafayette is pretty much a college town; almost everyone that lives in this town is affiliated to Purdue in some way. Being from Chicago, the cost of living was obviously a lot cheaper than what I'm used to seeing. However, it does get somewhat pricey depending on your standards. Purdue offers residence hall living, which includes a room as well as a meal plan, and a great opportunity to meet new people. The "off campus" living of Purdue is 60% of the student population, and it varies from being closer than the residence halls to further off campus. Although crime is prevalent no matter where you go, I do feel really safe if I walk around Purdue at night, and the local law enforcement is always creating initiatives to improve our safety.

It was a very relaxed application compared to the other Big Ten university applications. It only involved the basic filling out your information and answering 3 or 4 questions which make you think about yourself. I feel like not only did I communicate to Purdue about myself, but I was given an opportunity of reflection as well.

It really depends on the year and class that you are in. You start out in more general larger classes, and as the years go on, you specialize and the class sizes become smaller.

Most buildings are really cool in design and have special features such as a cafe etc. The dining courts are new and serve amazing food, too. There is so much to chose from.

Take a couple tests and write essays.

Purdue requires everyone to get a basically broad spectrum education, classes like English, math, science, and a foreign language. Once you enter classes specific to your major you realy learn what you need to know to enter that feild with full confidence. There are incredible research and internship oppportunities and connections for all fields of study. Wonderful professors and Graduate student TA's and heally helpful advising. My advisor knows my first name, not just my ID number, and is really invested in seeing me succeed.

West Lafayette has become my home. It's a great community and I got to know many students that were living with me in my residence hall and they became my family. The food is better than my mom's and eberything is super clean and comfortable. There are a million and one places to study and everyone is really respectful of eachother.

The application is pretty standard but the essay question was part of the reason I decided to apply. They asked me what the best advice I've ever recieved was. The application was easy but the essay made me think adn I was looking fr=or a school that would chalenge me intelectually, so even from the application Purdue was doing just that.

Advising is strong, class sizes are smaller with grad students teaching and large with professors teaching. research is very common. grading is very strait forward. study abroad is very common.

many large libraries all over campus. dining is the best around i havent found any better college dining courts. yes i said dining courts. the saftey is huge especially since we are a dry campus. the strict rules keep things very safe and orderly.

unique application questions, essay, early action, regular decision, financial aid and scholarship preference to in state.