“Purdue University”
June 2016CURRENT STUDENT

The support of the alumni to pursue student interest and help them into their careers. Mitch Daniels is doing a great job of giving students a voice (even to the dismay of many faculty members)

The difficulty of working with faculty members to actually help their students as opposed to pushing their own personal agendas

Comments

Come in willing to work hard and willing to work with alumni to extend your network to ultimately land you that job you're going to Purdue for in the first place

“Overall Great Experience”
September 2015CURRENT STUDENT

great faculty, nice peer students, convenient facilities (eps. nice modern libraries, Starbucks has multiple locations on campus), Amazon one-day delivery on campus

The location is not ideal--rural area surrounded by corn field. Krannert school focuses too much on corporate employment.. Not too many alumni that work in IBD or real estate or fashion...

Comments

If you are an international student and need more career opportunities, schools located in the major cities (NYC, Chicago, Boston, LA, SF, DC etc.) will sorta give you an edge.

must maintain separate science gpas

cost is a lot but it is worth every penny

1000 apply they take about 100

It is very competitive.

The food is amazing.

After 2 years of pre-pharmacy, admission requires an interview, essays, letters of recommendation, and 2 applicatons.

2016

The academics at Purdue are rigorous, but rewarding. The faculty makes you look past just learning for the course and actually apply that knowledge towards real life situations.

The life at Purdue is absolutely amazing. Students there are always ready and willing to meet new students, and the orientation program (Boiler Gold Rush) is a fantastic way to get students acclimated.

The admissions process is an application along with a few short essays. The College of Engineering is very selective in terms of GPA requirements, and involvement in organizations within your school and a heavy math and science curriculum in high school is suggested.

Most of my required classes were about 200 students but there were many opportunities to access the professor or a teaching assistant to obtain help if necessary. The workload was considerable requiring on average 5 hours outside of class studying material. Grade cutoffs were tough in one class, making the experience stressful at times, while other classes did not have grade cutoffs as high but these classes had harder material to learn. Pharmacy is very competitive seeing that only 160 out of around 100 students receive admittance to the Professional Program every year.

The food is very good on campus. Between the five different dining courts you can always find something you like, and it is very delicious whichever dining court you choose to dine in. Housing is convenient and very fun because you get to live with 40 people your age, which provides vast opportunity to meet to new people and make lasting friendships. The neighborhood around campus is pretty safe. Only occasionally is there a warning about a robbery or suspicious character on the streets. The facilities are top of the line and new. Anything you need from books to resources can be found in a library of campus facility.

I completed an online application, PharmCAS, which included an essay and at least two references along with filling out job history, extracurricular activies, and all classes completed/in progress. Out of 1000 plus applicants, if you were one of 300 selected for an interview, you then performed a english usage test, written essay, verbal usage or speaking test and interview with two faculty members from the college of Pharmacy. If after this step you were accepted into the Professional program, you were in unless you had more then 3 C's total before your 1st Professional Year or you obtained 3 C's in one semester.

2015

My core classes are mostly biology and chemistry and are very challenging and increase in difficulty significantly each year. However, Purdue has the best of the best in the nation in terms of professors and academic advisors. The men and women who teach us are world renowned pharmacists who have discovered compounds, formulations, new drugs, and many many other scientific discoveries. If you are willing to put in the full amount of work it is absolutely worth while to learn from the world's top pharmacists.

I live in a sorority that is 2 blocks from all my classes. The campus is beautiful, and very condensed based on majors for convenience and less hassle. I miss Purdue the second I leave it to go home for the summer or winter break.

To apply for prepharmacy school it was extremely selective but very easy. There is an online portion and a transcript submission. I was informed without even applying that I qualified for an academic scholarship

Advising is strong, class sizes are smaller with grad students teaching and large with professors teaching. research is very common. grading is very strait forward. study abroad is very common.

many large libraries all over campus. dining is the best around i havent found any better college dining courts. yes i said dining courts. the saftey is huge especially since we are a dry campus. the strict rules keep things very safe and orderly.

unique application questions, essay, early action, regular decision, financial aid and scholarship preference to in state.

Purdue takes academics very seriously; all the students here know how much is asked of them in their classes and our faculty does ask for their students' absolute best. Before coming to Purdue, I heard how difficult it was to get an A in our classes, but I felt like after taking the class, I truly understood the material and got an A for it as well. At Purdue, your hard work is rewarded more than any other university. The faculty also wants to see us to succeed as well. Being in the Actuarial Science program at Purdue, our faculty member, Jeff Beckley, takes his teaching very seriously. He will make sure you understand the material, and will even take extra time to help you if his office hours enough. I remember freshman year I was in his financial math class, and he gave us his cell phone number and told us to call him if we ever had any questions because he wasn't going to be on campus all day every day. I honestly do not know where else you would have faculty care about their students that much.

West Lafayette is pretty much a college town; almost everyone that lives in this town is affiliated to Purdue in some way. Being from Chicago, the cost of living was obviously a lot cheaper than what I'm used to seeing. However, it does get somewhat pricey depending on your standards. Purdue offers residence hall living, which includes a room as well as a meal plan, and a great opportunity to meet new people. The "off campus" living of Purdue is 60% of the student population, and it varies from being closer than the residence halls to further off campus. Although crime is prevalent no matter where you go, I do feel really safe if I walk around Purdue at night, and the local law enforcement is always creating initiatives to improve our safety.

It was a very relaxed application compared to the other Big Ten university applications. It only involved the basic filling out your information and answering 3 or 4 questions which make you think about yourself. I feel like not only did I communicate to Purdue about myself, but I was given an opportunity of reflection as well.

There are general requirements including liberal arts requirements, but also specific requirements for Pre-professional students. THere are academic advisors for every individual students. The class sizes vary from very large (200+) to very small (20). Professors are very accessible when they are needed usually. THey provide office hours that are regular. Also, some research opportunities are provided on an individual basis. Also, TA opportunities are available for undergraduates. The programs are competitive and many of our programs are nationally ranked. Also, grading is difficult and curves aren't common. WE have several notable faculty including nobel prize winners. There are many study abroad opportunities given for maymester, semester, or full year and they are located all over the world. THe workload is heavy but manageable.

While costs are fairly high, Purdue is much lower than other universities. The cost goes to the quality. Our dining courts are better than any other college I've eaten at. Also, the facilities are high quality and clean. Labs use good technology, and the dorms are really nice, stylish, and accomodating. The surrounding community is very involved in sports, academics, and other unique programs. Most notably, Bug Bowl or Spring Fest, which draws the community in for learning and fun. Crime is not a problem and I feel very safe on campus. While some incidents happen, Purdue has Emergency Notifications, which alert students via text and email about unsafe conditions on campus. There are also emergency boxes located all over campus painted yellow so that if you are being follwed, feel unsafe, or need assistance the police can be notified to your exact location. Overall happiness is very high. There are many activities throughout campus and everyone can find a place. Also, school spirit and pride is high which makes everyone feel connected and involved.

Essays, high score qualifications, early decision, some scholarships.