“Purdue University”
June 2016CURRENT STUDENT

The support of the alumni to pursue student interest and help them into their careers. Mitch Daniels is doing a great job of giving students a voice (even to the dismay of many faculty members)

The difficulty of working with faculty members to actually help their students as opposed to pushing their own personal agendas

Comments

Come in willing to work hard and willing to work with alumni to extend your network to ultimately land you that job you're going to Purdue for in the first place

“Overall Great Experience”
September 2015CURRENT STUDENT

great faculty, nice peer students, convenient facilities (eps. nice modern libraries, Starbucks has multiple locations on campus), Amazon one-day delivery on campus

The location is not ideal--rural area surrounded by corn field. Krannert school focuses too much on corporate employment.. Not too many alumni that work in IBD or real estate or fashion...

Comments

If you are an international student and need more career opportunities, schools located in the major cities (NYC, Chicago, Boston, LA, SF, DC etc.) will sorta give you an edge.

Most of my required classes were about 200 students but there were many opportunities to access the professor or a teaching assistant to obtain help if necessary. The workload was considerable requiring on average 5 hours outside of class studying material. Grade cutoffs were tough in one class, making the experience stressful at times, while other classes did not have grade cutoffs as high but these classes had harder material to learn. Pharmacy is very competitive seeing that only 160 out of around 100 students receive admittance to the Professional Program every year.

The food is very good on campus. Between the five different dining courts you can always find something you like, and it is very delicious whichever dining court you choose to dine in. Housing is convenient and very fun because you get to live with 40 people your age, which provides vast opportunity to meet to new people and make lasting friendships. The neighborhood around campus is pretty safe. Only occasionally is there a warning about a robbery or suspicious character on the streets. The facilities are top of the line and new. Anything you need from books to resources can be found in a library of campus facility.

I completed an online application, PharmCAS, which included an essay and at least two references along with filling out job history, extracurricular activies, and all classes completed/in progress. Out of 1000 plus applicants, if you were one of 300 selected for an interview, you then performed a english usage test, written essay, verbal usage or speaking test and interview with two faculty members from the college of Pharmacy. If after this step you were accepted into the Professional program, you were in unless you had more then 3 C's total before your 1st Professional Year or you obtained 3 C's in one semester.

2015

The academics at Purdue are rigorous, but rewarding. The faculty makes you look past just learning for the course and actually apply that knowledge towards real life situations.

The life at Purdue is absolutely amazing. Students there are always ready and willing to meet new students, and the orientation program (Boiler Gold Rush) is a fantastic way to get students acclimated.

The admissions process is an application along with a few short essays. The College of Engineering is very selective in terms of GPA requirements, and involvement in organizations within your school and a heavy math and science curriculum in high school is suggested.

must maintain separate science gpas

cost is a lot but it is worth every penny

1000 apply they take about 100

My core classes are mostly biology and chemistry and are very challenging and increase in difficulty significantly each year. However, Purdue has the best of the best in the nation in terms of professors and academic advisors. The men and women who teach us are world renowned pharmacists who have discovered compounds, formulations, new drugs, and many many other scientific discoveries. If you are willing to put in the full amount of work it is absolutely worth while to learn from the world's top pharmacists.

I live in a sorority that is 2 blocks from all my classes. The campus is beautiful, and very condensed based on majors for convenience and less hassle. I miss Purdue the second I leave it to go home for the summer or winter break.

To apply for prepharmacy school it was extremely selective but very easy. There is an online portion and a transcript submission. I was informed without even applying that I qualified for an academic scholarship

It is very competitive.

The food is amazing.

After 2 years of pre-pharmacy, admission requires an interview, essays, letters of recommendation, and 2 applicatons.

2016

One of the best in the country

Good but expensive

Essay

As an Engineering major, I was placed into Purdue's (unique) First Year Engineering program. This allowed me a year to "graduate" from FYE and subsequently be accepted into my respective school (assuming grades are good enough). FYE requirements are what many consider "General Education," or Gen Ed, courses, such as English, Speech, Calculus I and II, and Chemistry.

I love living on campus at Purdue. The campus is beautiful in my opinion. There are numerous places to study and just hang out between classes, even late at night. I feel completely safe walking back to my dorm at 2 AM. The dining courts are amazing as well (Freshman 15, anyone?).

Purdue has a simple application that consists of one essay (if I remember correctly). You are automatically considered for university scholarships and financial aid if you apply by the priority deadline.

Depending on the school that you are apart determines your degree requirements. They vary in the number of credits needed as well as which classes are required. The grading in professor specific but all of the grades are letter grades with your GPA on a 4.0 scale. Classes sizes vary for each course. In my experience the intro courses are larger but as the semester progresses number of students that attend the lecture decreases, so if your in a larger lecture hall it usually isn't full so the class feels a lot smaller.

On campus I have a very high quality of life. The dorm I lived in freshman year was a lot of fun. It was the dorm where the engineering learning communities lived so we were all going through the same thing which made classes easier. For dining there are some many courses of where to eat and then when you pick which dining court to eat at there are so many choices as to what to eat. West Lafayette is a quintessential college town which make the community amazing because they truly love and support the college. I also have never felt that I was in danger waling on campus at night.

There was a university specific application, which included some short answer questions as well as an essay.