“Purdue University”
June 2016CURRENT STUDENT

The support of the alumni to pursue student interest and help them into their careers. Mitch Daniels is doing a great job of giving students a voice (even to the dismay of many faculty members)

The difficulty of working with faculty members to actually help their students as opposed to pushing their own personal agendas

Comments

Come in willing to work hard and willing to work with alumni to extend your network to ultimately land you that job you're going to Purdue for in the first place

“Overall Great Experience”
September 2015CURRENT STUDENT

great faculty, nice peer students, convenient facilities (eps. nice modern libraries, Starbucks has multiple locations on campus), Amazon one-day delivery on campus

The location is not ideal--rural area surrounded by corn field. Krannert school focuses too much on corporate employment.. Not too many alumni that work in IBD or real estate or fashion...

Comments

If you are an international student and need more career opportunities, schools located in the major cities (NYC, Chicago, Boston, LA, SF, DC etc.) will sorta give you an edge.

Most of my required classes were about 200 students but there were many opportunities to access the professor or a teaching assistant to obtain help if necessary. The workload was considerable requiring on average 5 hours outside of class studying material. Grade cutoffs were tough in one class, making the experience stressful at times, while other classes did not have grade cutoffs as high but these classes had harder material to learn. Pharmacy is very competitive seeing that only 160 out of around 100 students receive admittance to the Professional Program every year.

The food is very good on campus. Between the five different dining courts you can always find something you like, and it is very delicious whichever dining court you choose to dine in. Housing is convenient and very fun because you get to live with 40 people your age, which provides vast opportunity to meet to new people and make lasting friendships. The neighborhood around campus is pretty safe. Only occasionally is there a warning about a robbery or suspicious character on the streets. The facilities are top of the line and new. Anything you need from books to resources can be found in a library of campus facility.

I completed an online application, PharmCAS, which included an essay and at least two references along with filling out job history, extracurricular activies, and all classes completed/in progress. Out of 1000 plus applicants, if you were one of 300 selected for an interview, you then performed a english usage test, written essay, verbal usage or speaking test and interview with two faculty members from the college of Pharmacy. If after this step you were accepted into the Professional program, you were in unless you had more then 3 C's total before your 1st Professional Year or you obtained 3 C's in one semester.

2015

It is very competitive.

The food is amazing.

After 2 years of pre-pharmacy, admission requires an interview, essays, letters of recommendation, and 2 applicatons.

2016

must maintain separate science gpas

cost is a lot but it is worth every penny

1000 apply they take about 100

My core classes are mostly biology and chemistry and are very challenging and increase in difficulty significantly each year. However, Purdue has the best of the best in the nation in terms of professors and academic advisors. The men and women who teach us are world renowned pharmacists who have discovered compounds, formulations, new drugs, and many many other scientific discoveries. If you are willing to put in the full amount of work it is absolutely worth while to learn from the world's top pharmacists.

I live in a sorority that is 2 blocks from all my classes. The campus is beautiful, and very condensed based on majors for convenience and less hassle. I miss Purdue the second I leave it to go home for the summer or winter break.

To apply for prepharmacy school it was extremely selective but very easy. There is an online portion and a transcript submission. I was informed without even applying that I qualified for an academic scholarship

The academics at Purdue are rigorous, but rewarding. The faculty makes you look past just learning for the course and actually apply that knowledge towards real life situations.

The life at Purdue is absolutely amazing. Students there are always ready and willing to meet new students, and the orientation program (Boiler Gold Rush) is a fantastic way to get students acclimated.

The admissions process is an application along with a few short essays. The College of Engineering is very selective in terms of GPA requirements, and involvement in organizations within your school and a heavy math and science curriculum in high school is suggested.

It really depends on what you're going into that determines the core requirements and class sizes.

It's expensive but worth it. Purdue is Safe.

There is a choice of essays, sent in test scores and transcripts, and financial aid and scholarship opportunities.

Academics are very challenging because they want to make sure if you are perusing a certain major, you have to be dedicated to work hard. On the other hand, if you are willing to put in the time and effort, there are always people to help you.

The housing was a lot of money but it was really nice. Meals were filling and conveniently located. I loved living in the dorms because I met so many wonderful people. I also was able o easily find a job, find a church in walking distance from campus, and become involved in the community by joining organizations. School definitely felt like home and there was always something to do.

When applying to my school, I filled out an application where I had to provide ACT scores, high school grades, activities, and accomplishments. I also had to write an essay so they could look at my writing abilities. Purdue was competitive in the sense that to be accepted, I had to have high enough grades, have leadership experience, and be involved in my community.

Purdue is one of the most academically rigorous schools, especially for their engineering programs. For Liberal Arts, there was a core curriculum, which required students to dabble in several different genres of study, and then major requirements, which focused solely on that academic subject. Academic advising depends on the size of the department within a college...communications was very large, so it was sometimes hard to build a strong relationship with your advisor, however I know other students in other majors did build those strong relationships. Average class size is around 30 students-- everyone experiences learning in a large lecture hall at one point or another, but that's all part of the college experience. Professors are extremely accessible to students, but offering their phone numbers, email addresses, office hours and locations, and are always willing to make appointments that fit the students schedule. Once you ask a professor for help or meet with them after class, there is an instant sense of recognition and appreciation. Many opportunities are available by approaching professors, be they research opportunities, networking, or simply finding a mentor. Purdue is the only institution to have two World Food Prize winners on faculty. Our organic chemistry professor won the Nobel Prize in Chemistry this year and during his press conference, he was worried he wouldn't make it to his lecture on time. Teaching sophomores organic chemistry was more important to him than receiving international attention for his accomplishments. Purdue University offers students so many opportunities that cannot be found at other colleges-- study abroad, work cooperative programs, and real life experience just to name a few. Almost every department offers a service learning course, to help students utilize what they've learned to help the local community. By going to Purdue, students receive world class education from a world class faculty, but also learn how to use that education to help make the world a better place.

Freshman are not required to live in the residence halls, which begins a college career with the sense of choice and freedom. Many students choose to do so because it's an experience worth having, you make lots of new friends and it's a positive transition from living at home. There are several off-campus options, such as greek houses, cooperative houses, apartment complexes, and renting houses. The campus is easily accessible by walking or by public transportation through a city bus program that is free to students. The buildings are maintained very well and each building offers an area to study. There are 13 libraries, each with a different feel. The food is AMAZING. Purdue's campus sits within the city of West Lafayette, with Lafayette right across the Wabash River. Purdue has a positive relationship with both cities-- going to Purdue feels like living in a small town, but with big school opportunities. You always recognize people walking around campus, sitting in your classes-- people are friendly and helpful to visitors or out of towners. You get a great sense of Indiana and Midwestern culture, while also experiencing an amazing diversity that a large school offers. Purdue feels like home-- even to people who don't attend school there.

They now require an essay for admittance. Test scores (SAT/ ACT) are very important as well as high school transcripts. Purdue looks at the finals semester of senior to ensure that students are serious about the education and continue their education successfully to the end.