“Purdue University”
June 2016CURRENT STUDENT

The support of the alumni to pursue student interest and help them into their careers. Mitch Daniels is doing a great job of giving students a voice (even to the dismay of many faculty members)

The difficulty of working with faculty members to actually help their students as opposed to pushing their own personal agendas

Comments

Come in willing to work hard and willing to work with alumni to extend your network to ultimately land you that job you're going to Purdue for in the first place

“Overall Great Experience”
September 2015CURRENT STUDENT

great faculty, nice peer students, convenient facilities (eps. nice modern libraries, Starbucks has multiple locations on campus), Amazon one-day delivery on campus

The location is not ideal--rural area surrounded by corn field. Krannert school focuses too much on corporate employment.. Not too many alumni that work in IBD or real estate or fashion...

Comments

If you are an international student and need more career opportunities, schools located in the major cities (NYC, Chicago, Boston, LA, SF, DC etc.) will sorta give you an edge.

Most of my required classes were about 200 students but there were many opportunities to access the professor or a teaching assistant to obtain help if necessary. The workload was considerable requiring on average 5 hours outside of class studying material. Grade cutoffs were tough in one class, making the experience stressful at times, while other classes did not have grade cutoffs as high but these classes had harder material to learn. Pharmacy is very competitive seeing that only 160 out of around 100 students receive admittance to the Professional Program every year.

The food is very good on campus. Between the five different dining courts you can always find something you like, and it is very delicious whichever dining court you choose to dine in. Housing is convenient and very fun because you get to live with 40 people your age, which provides vast opportunity to meet to new people and make lasting friendships. The neighborhood around campus is pretty safe. Only occasionally is there a warning about a robbery or suspicious character on the streets. The facilities are top of the line and new. Anything you need from books to resources can be found in a library of campus facility.

I completed an online application, PharmCAS, which included an essay and at least two references along with filling out job history, extracurricular activies, and all classes completed/in progress. Out of 1000 plus applicants, if you were one of 300 selected for an interview, you then performed a english usage test, written essay, verbal usage or speaking test and interview with two faculty members from the college of Pharmacy. If after this step you were accepted into the Professional program, you were in unless you had more then 3 C's total before your 1st Professional Year or you obtained 3 C's in one semester.

2015

The academics at Purdue are rigorous, but rewarding. The faculty makes you look past just learning for the course and actually apply that knowledge towards real life situations.

The life at Purdue is absolutely amazing. Students there are always ready and willing to meet new students, and the orientation program (Boiler Gold Rush) is a fantastic way to get students acclimated.

The admissions process is an application along with a few short essays. The College of Engineering is very selective in terms of GPA requirements, and involvement in organizations within your school and a heavy math and science curriculum in high school is suggested.

must maintain separate science gpas

cost is a lot but it is worth every penny

1000 apply they take about 100

It is very competitive.

The food is amazing.

After 2 years of pre-pharmacy, admission requires an interview, essays, letters of recommendation, and 2 applicatons.

2016

My core classes are mostly biology and chemistry and are very challenging and increase in difficulty significantly each year. However, Purdue has the best of the best in the nation in terms of professors and academic advisors. The men and women who teach us are world renowned pharmacists who have discovered compounds, formulations, new drugs, and many many other scientific discoveries. If you are willing to put in the full amount of work it is absolutely worth while to learn from the world's top pharmacists.

I live in a sorority that is 2 blocks from all my classes. The campus is beautiful, and very condensed based on majors for convenience and less hassle. I miss Purdue the second I leave it to go home for the summer or winter break.

To apply for prepharmacy school it was extremely selective but very easy. There is an online portion and a transcript submission. I was informed without even applying that I qualified for an academic scholarship

There is a general focus on academics at Purdue. There are a considerable amount of intelligent, gifted students and teachers in every department. The university is a research university, however, so not all teachers are there to teach.

Housing costs are reasonable and the dorm life is of much higher quality than at other schools. The dining courts serve genuinely good food daily and are located all over campus. There are 13 libraries with access to any information you could ever need. The crime rates are very low, and the campus police make the whole campus feel safe. I have never met someone who has said they do not feel safe at Purdue.

The application only required a single essay and was done online. If you send in your application before an early deadline, you can receive and early decisions from them in December. Merit based scholarships are automatically applied based on test scores and GPA. These are unfortunately non-negotiable.

Pharmacy is a very focused major. All classes are core classes unless you chose to take electives. The requirements seem standard for pharmacy school, though the class load can be overwhelming at times. I have enjoyed all my classes for the most part and have never had issues with class size, or accessibility of professors. Like I said before, Pharmacy is very competitive but good grades are attainable.

I love Purdue. The campus is taken care of very well and the area is fairly scenic. It is a bit in the middle of no where (surrounded by fields and such) but campus is big enough to keep people entertained. I thought that the location was going to be an issue, but it wasn't at all. My dorm was very satisfactory including dining. The cost of studying here from out of state is a bit rough. With out scholarships, it would be too much for me.

For Purdue Pharmacy School, on top of being admitted to the pre-pharmacy program as a freshman, there is another application, essay, and interview. The application requires high grades and GPA but also requires a well rounded student. Applicants must show they are involved with leadership opportunities, community service, and employment. There are limited spots for Purdue students so the program is very competitive and difficult.

2016

i changed into this school from engineering, gpa and a C or better grade in science and math courses was used to decide if i was admitted or not