“Purdue University”
June 2016CURRENT STUDENT

The support of the alumni to pursue student interest and help them into their careers. Mitch Daniels is doing a great job of giving students a voice (even to the dismay of many faculty members)

The difficulty of working with faculty members to actually help their students as opposed to pushing their own personal agendas

Comments

Come in willing to work hard and willing to work with alumni to extend your network to ultimately land you that job you're going to Purdue for in the first place

“Overall Great Experience”
September 2015CURRENT STUDENT

great faculty, nice peer students, convenient facilities (eps. nice modern libraries, Starbucks has multiple locations on campus), Amazon one-day delivery on campus

The location is not ideal--rural area surrounded by corn field. Krannert school focuses too much on corporate employment.. Not too many alumni that work in IBD or real estate or fashion...

Comments

If you are an international student and need more career opportunities, schools located in the major cities (NYC, Chicago, Boston, LA, SF, DC etc.) will sorta give you an edge.

Most of my required classes were about 200 students but there were many opportunities to access the professor or a teaching assistant to obtain help if necessary. The workload was considerable requiring on average 5 hours outside of class studying material. Grade cutoffs were tough in one class, making the experience stressful at times, while other classes did not have grade cutoffs as high but these classes had harder material to learn. Pharmacy is very competitive seeing that only 160 out of around 100 students receive admittance to the Professional Program every year.

The food is very good on campus. Between the five different dining courts you can always find something you like, and it is very delicious whichever dining court you choose to dine in. Housing is convenient and very fun because you get to live with 40 people your age, which provides vast opportunity to meet to new people and make lasting friendships. The neighborhood around campus is pretty safe. Only occasionally is there a warning about a robbery or suspicious character on the streets. The facilities are top of the line and new. Anything you need from books to resources can be found in a library of campus facility.

I completed an online application, PharmCAS, which included an essay and at least two references along with filling out job history, extracurricular activies, and all classes completed/in progress. Out of 1000 plus applicants, if you were one of 300 selected for an interview, you then performed a english usage test, written essay, verbal usage or speaking test and interview with two faculty members from the college of Pharmacy. If after this step you were accepted into the Professional program, you were in unless you had more then 3 C's total before your 1st Professional Year or you obtained 3 C's in one semester.

2015

My core classes are mostly biology and chemistry and are very challenging and increase in difficulty significantly each year. However, Purdue has the best of the best in the nation in terms of professors and academic advisors. The men and women who teach us are world renowned pharmacists who have discovered compounds, formulations, new drugs, and many many other scientific discoveries. If you are willing to put in the full amount of work it is absolutely worth while to learn from the world's top pharmacists.

I live in a sorority that is 2 blocks from all my classes. The campus is beautiful, and very condensed based on majors for convenience and less hassle. I miss Purdue the second I leave it to go home for the summer or winter break.

To apply for prepharmacy school it was extremely selective but very easy. There is an online portion and a transcript submission. I was informed without even applying that I qualified for an academic scholarship

It is very competitive.

The food is amazing.

After 2 years of pre-pharmacy, admission requires an interview, essays, letters of recommendation, and 2 applicatons.

2016

The academics at Purdue are rigorous, but rewarding. The faculty makes you look past just learning for the course and actually apply that knowledge towards real life situations.

The life at Purdue is absolutely amazing. Students there are always ready and willing to meet new students, and the orientation program (Boiler Gold Rush) is a fantastic way to get students acclimated.

The admissions process is an application along with a few short essays. The College of Engineering is very selective in terms of GPA requirements, and involvement in organizations within your school and a heavy math and science curriculum in high school is suggested.

must maintain separate science gpas

cost is a lot but it is worth every penny

1000 apply they take about 100

Purdue is amazing! In the two years that I have been here I have: studied abroad, joined two research groups, and gotten involved with several organizations. Lectures are large, but specialized classes and recitations are smaller and more one-on-one engaging. Math department curves are brutal, tests for weed-out classes are heavily curved (sometimes), but grades for homework assignments arec fair. Overall test grades are fair, but be willing to justify why you deserve more points added back on to your exam grade. Academic advisors and faculty are extremely accessible. Faculty are well versed in their fields and know what they are talking about. Weed-out and pre-professional classes are very competitive for grades, beware!

Variety of housing options, lots of libraries. I always feel safe on campus. There is always something to do on campus, which I love!

Very simple application with one essay. The essay was not too bad compared to other universities that I applied to.

The grades are very competetive because your individual grades are based on how well the remaining students in that class are doing. You are amongst the smartest people in the world, and they may be getting well above average on the exams, therefore leaving you the option of bettering your performance in order to compete with those other smary-pants, or doing YOUR average and receiving a C or D in the class. When exams scores and such are posted, your goal is to receive about the same if not higher than the calculated average among all students in the course.

Most classes other than lectures, are lead by a TA (teacher's assistant) They are typically in there mid twenties and are taking graduate classes of their own. They are of MUCH HELP to you. They hold office hours for you to visit and ask help, and because most people dont take advantage of this, your TA will be open to give you individed attention. Cant meet during his/her office hours? Send them an email and most TA's are more than willing to work around your schedule, meet with you at a convenient time, and provide the assistance you need. Purdue has some of the best help out there. If you arent comfortable with your grades, GO GET HELP!

Dining- keeping this simple, the dining is SUPERBERB. There are healthy option if you want them, and endless decadent desserts that you may see in a restaraunt. The most homemade options i've ever seen in a dining court. Excellent.

Neighborhood- Walking back to my dorm late at night by myself is not as scary as some college campuses. I walk alone and not for a second feel threatened or uneasy.

Cost of living- when you are in campus housing, your are equipped with meal swipes that let you in to our all-you-can-eat dining courts, AND whats called dining dollars. These dining dollars can be used at campus hot spots like the Harrison Grille or even Boiler market. Needless to say, you can get by the whole year without really spending out-of-pocket money. Everything you ever really need can be bought on campus,using your Purdue card.

The general requirements and core classes for first year engineering are well put together. It is a strict curriculum. My major degree requirements have similar classes like most other engineering majors. First year engineering academic advising is very good. Classes sizes are usually 25-30 for a recitation and 200-400 for a large lecture. Professors and research opportunities are easily accessible. Many classes that are based on a curve are competitive. Grading is fair in most classes. An average student should be able to get B's for the most part. The study abroad opportunities are clearly laid out and many info sessions about these opportunities are present.

The quality of life at school is pretty good. Most people seem to vary between low middle class to high middle class. Off campus housing seems to be fairly cheap (if you find good places). Dorms seem to be fairly priced in comparison to other universities in the state. We have many different libraries on campus that are very accessible. Dining courts are campus are fantastic. Even for students not living in the dorms, there are many dining options close to campus. Crime will happen on any campus, but it seems that Purdue has a good system of alerting students when crimes do happen (text message system). People seem to be happy overall.

Usual application questions and essays. The application was very simple, took me approximately 20 minutes to complete.