“Purdue University”
June 2016CURRENT STUDENT

The support of the alumni to pursue student interest and help them into their careers. Mitch Daniels is doing a great job of giving students a voice (even to the dismay of many faculty members)

The difficulty of working with faculty members to actually help their students as opposed to pushing their own personal agendas

Comments

Come in willing to work hard and willing to work with alumni to extend your network to ultimately land you that job you're going to Purdue for in the first place

“Overall Great Experience”
September 2015CURRENT STUDENT

great faculty, nice peer students, convenient facilities (eps. nice modern libraries, Starbucks has multiple locations on campus), Amazon one-day delivery on campus

The location is not ideal--rural area surrounded by corn field. Krannert school focuses too much on corporate employment.. Not too many alumni that work in IBD or real estate or fashion...

Comments

If you are an international student and need more career opportunities, schools located in the major cities (NYC, Chicago, Boston, LA, SF, DC etc.) will sorta give you an edge.

It is very competitive.

The food is amazing.

After 2 years of pre-pharmacy, admission requires an interview, essays, letters of recommendation, and 2 applicatons.

2016

My core classes are mostly biology and chemistry and are very challenging and increase in difficulty significantly each year. However, Purdue has the best of the best in the nation in terms of professors and academic advisors. The men and women who teach us are world renowned pharmacists who have discovered compounds, formulations, new drugs, and many many other scientific discoveries. If you are willing to put in the full amount of work it is absolutely worth while to learn from the world's top pharmacists.

I live in a sorority that is 2 blocks from all my classes. The campus is beautiful, and very condensed based on majors for convenience and less hassle. I miss Purdue the second I leave it to go home for the summer or winter break.

To apply for prepharmacy school it was extremely selective but very easy. There is an online portion and a transcript submission. I was informed without even applying that I qualified for an academic scholarship

must maintain separate science gpas

cost is a lot but it is worth every penny

1000 apply they take about 100

Most of my required classes were about 200 students but there were many opportunities to access the professor or a teaching assistant to obtain help if necessary. The workload was considerable requiring on average 5 hours outside of class studying material. Grade cutoffs were tough in one class, making the experience stressful at times, while other classes did not have grade cutoffs as high but these classes had harder material to learn. Pharmacy is very competitive seeing that only 160 out of around 100 students receive admittance to the Professional Program every year.

The food is very good on campus. Between the five different dining courts you can always find something you like, and it is very delicious whichever dining court you choose to dine in. Housing is convenient and very fun because you get to live with 40 people your age, which provides vast opportunity to meet to new people and make lasting friendships. The neighborhood around campus is pretty safe. Only occasionally is there a warning about a robbery or suspicious character on the streets. The facilities are top of the line and new. Anything you need from books to resources can be found in a library of campus facility.

I completed an online application, PharmCAS, which included an essay and at least two references along with filling out job history, extracurricular activies, and all classes completed/in progress. Out of 1000 plus applicants, if you were one of 300 selected for an interview, you then performed a english usage test, written essay, verbal usage or speaking test and interview with two faculty members from the college of Pharmacy. If after this step you were accepted into the Professional program, you were in unless you had more then 3 C's total before your 1st Professional Year or you obtained 3 C's in one semester.

2015

The academics at Purdue are rigorous, but rewarding. The faculty makes you look past just learning for the course and actually apply that knowledge towards real life situations.

The life at Purdue is absolutely amazing. Students there are always ready and willing to meet new students, and the orientation program (Boiler Gold Rush) is a fantastic way to get students acclimated.

The admissions process is an application along with a few short essays. The College of Engineering is very selective in terms of GPA requirements, and involvement in organizations within your school and a heavy math and science curriculum in high school is suggested.

i changed into this school from engineering, gpa and a C or better grade in science and math courses was used to decide if i was admitted or not

I've had a range of experiences with Purdue faculty members, but I'm sure any honest college student would say the same thing about their school. Occasionally I've had teachers who just seem to go through the motions, and they haven't made themselves very available to the students as far as office hours, help sessions, etc. However, while attending Purdue, I've also had the opportunity to be taught by some of the most brilliant, exceptional teachers that I've ever met. For the most part, the professors are extremely interesting and eager to assist students who make an effort to seek the extra help/attention. On top of being wonderful teachers, several of my professors have received awards for their achievements in research. Numerous professors at Purdue University allow undergraduate students to work in their research lab for credit hours, and this is an experience that I highly suggest taking advantage of! Classes are competitive, but all of the resources to help you succeed are available at Purdue. Lastly, the Study Abroad Office at Purdue is also a fabulous resource. Hundreds of Purdue students go abroad each year, whether it's for an entire Fall/Spring semester, a Maymester, or a 6-week summer program.

The housing opportunities for Purdue students are endless. There's a variety of dormitories for Freshmen, upperclassmen, and graduate students as well. They range in their amenities as well as costs, with the more expensive dorms offering more spacious, private rooms with other extra perks. All of the dining halls are wonderful. They serve food buffet/all-you-can-eat style, and students just have to swipe in before each meal with their student ID. Each dining hall has its own specialty, so students never get tired of the food! The other facilities are also great, like the libraries, computer labs, etc. Libraries are large with lots of private, quiet study space for individual students or rooms for groups. Several computer labs are open twenty-four hours, and they're spread all over campus so their locations are convenient as well. Crime is extremely low. I've never felt unsafe on Purdue's campus in the past two years. However, there are emergency phones located all over campus. If a student ever feels threatened, he/she can pick up the phone, and it automatically calls the emergency operator. The phones are easy to spot because they're located in bright yellow boxes with blue lights on the top.

The application questions and essay questions were pretty standard when I applied, but I think that things have changed a little since then. Purdue really values applying early, and they inform all of their early decision applicants around the second week of December. I rated Purdue as a 7 because the average grade for average for each new class has raised significantly over the past few years. Also, it's become increasing difficult to become admitted into some of Purdue's most prestigious programs, such as Engineering, Nursing, Pre-Pharmacy, etc. Lastly, whereas for my graduating classes academic scholarships were awarded automatically if students possessed above a certain GPA and SAT/ACT scores, additional applications are now required to receive these scholarships.

there are core classes, but it gets very specific very quick which I love because learning about what you are interested in is so much better!

The meal plan is a bit expensive, but worth it at least for the first 2 years. I love having so many libraries to go to! And the organizations are worth going to!

2 years pre-pharmacy...application to pharmacy school (essay and interview)...then 4 more years

but just to get into pre-pharmacy you need to have good grades and show that you are well-rounded by being involved in a few different things

2016