Every student must fulfill a "breadth of study" requirement in each of 5 areas: Creative expression, Social Institutions and Human Behavior, History, Values, Ethics, and Cultural Studies, Physical and Biological Sciences, and Mathematical Reasoning. Each student must also fulfill a Foreign Language requirement, Physical Education requirement, and other typical graduation requirements. The school offers a large variety of study abroad opportunities, and many students take advantage of these. The school also works very hard to help students find internships and funds independent student research.

Housing is very nice, food is great, we live in an oasis in every sense of the word.

Several essays, Common Application, and interviews all required (interviews as space and distance permit). need-blind admissions, guaranteed financial aid for 100% of demonstrated need.

Strong focus on SAT scores, difficulty of high school curriculum, and grades. Approx 90% of entering first-year class was in the top 10% of their high school graduating classes, and the average composite SAT score hovers around 2250.

Students need high numbers to be admitted, but they can be slightly below the averages if a student: comes from a "diverse background", is a recruited athlete, had a parent who attended Pomona, or has significant non-academic accomplishments (see: published research, took time off school to work for a non-profit, high level of artistic talent). Students who don't fall into either of these categories should try to stand out by writing off-beat essays that highlight their personalities.

Academics at Pomona are spectacular. Classes are small most of the time, but NOT because the school places artificial limits on the size of classes to improve its rating in college guides (cough cough, CMC). If a student wants to get into a class, he or she can almost always talk to the professor and make it happen. The reason classes are small is because the school employs plenty of excellent professors. Small classes are integral to a successful learning environment - it allows student to ask questions during any lecture, receive more attention in class, and better contribute to discussions. One of the best parts about Pomona's academic philosophy is hiring professors who love to spend time with students and make themselves extremely available outside of class. The best learning I have had has been sitting down one on one with a professor in his office or at lunch. Many of our professors are leaders and innovators in their fields so it is great to be able to spend such intimate time with such talented people. Workload is fairly heavy across the board, but I have never had busy work and all of it has been integral to my learning. The academics are what make Pomona a true learning institution!

Housing is very nice, as evidenced by the fact that 97% or so of students live on campus all four years. For instance this fall I will have a full sized bed in a new dorm in a great location. Dining halls are close are so are classes, and made even closer by wide roads for skateboarding and biking. All of the dining halls serve GREAT food, and I almost never eat out because there is really no need to. The library is huge and enormous but could use a lot more room for studying, as students from all five schools use it. The neighborhood is extremely safe, although "townies" can be a bit annoying as high schoolers are not prevented from coming in and stealing things. However the petty crime is few and far between, and even a small girl would never feel unsafe walking home alone at 3 a.m.

Almost everyone at Pomona walks around with a smile on their face. The weather is good, the people and professors are great, the campus is beautiful, and the beach and mountains are only an hour away

I went through the transfer admissions process, so my experience might be a bit different. It involved one application question in particular that made me really think about my life, personality, experience, and goals, that was one of the most difficult yet rewarding essays that I have ever written. I believe the essay is emphasized greatly in the admissions process, because I got in despite a GPA that was below Pomona's high standards, and also because I have spoken with students involved with admission who say that the character of each student is very important to those discussing who to admit.

The academic atmosphere is profound. All the students here have evidently been selected for not only for their academic strength but also for the sense of community. The class sizes are small and the academic advising is great. They do require some general requirements but that is expected out of a liberal school, which I believe is great because it allows for the students to really explore. The professors are really accessible and are really nice and considerate. The school does not really have a competitive cut throat atmosphere but instead an atmosphere in that everyone wants to do their best.

Housing is great and campus is beautiful. I rarely really leave the campus because everything you want is here. The dinning halls are pretty good but can be improved. The neighborhood is very safe and I never ever have to worry about being mugged by a homeless person or my overall safety. I say that most everyone here is happy and that this is one of the best atmospheres I have experienced.

Pomona is a very selective school. They do use the Common Application and gives financial on a blind-need basis without loans. Pomona College offered my financial aid and a scholarship. I interviewed for the college and feel that it is a good fit.

Breadth of study requirements are not a burden, allow students to explore different fields and bring specialized knowledge to diverse studies. Research with faculty is available as a freshman and not overly competitive.

Almost everyone is consistently happy, even in the face of monstrous work. The neighborhood and campus are relatively safe. The food gets better and better. Love it.

Supplement to Common App, Interview, generally standard, but almost all forms were required on paper.

Go to www.pomona.edu to find answers to all of these questions. POMONA IS EXCEPTIONAL!

Nice residential college, in a beautiful and safe community. So happy that I decided to come here!

Common App with Pomona College Supplement

Interview strongly recommended for local students.

Early and Regular Decision Options

GREAT financial aid.

Breadth of study requirements in the five major course areas. Small class sizes. Study abroad opportunities (although this can be difficult). Academic advisors assigned to you as a first-year but you can switch advisors according to your needs and interests. There are more jobs than there are students on campus, so it is quite easy to get an on-campus job. There are also research opportunities with professors, even over the summer. Grading is described as inflated and easy, but I think that the professors know how to encourage their students, who work very hard. Workload is tough, but not impossible. Professors want you to succeed and want to create dialogue in and out of the classroom.

Great rooms. Great food. Many dining halls to choose from. Library is spacious, but far away from South campus (where underclassmen live). Very safe neighborhood (but not completely safe). I couldn't imagine attending any other college. While tuition is certainly high, Pomona is a paradise--beautiful buildings, weather, and people!

Common Application plus optional additional essays. There were two sets of Early Decision. Interviews are encouraged. There is financial aid offered to those who qualify.

The academics are rigorous and varied, and the professors expect a lot from you. That being said, the classes are all 20 students or less, and that kind of personal attention is extremely helpful. Professors are always available, and they are some of the smartest people in their respective fields. It is easy to get to know professors, and Pomona encourages close relationships with the faculty. They even give you money to take your professors out to meals! Because the relationships are so close here, there are incredible opportunities to participate in research with professors, and Pomona also pays students to help professors out with current studies and research- an incredible opportunity that is hard to find anywhere else. In terms of the classes themselves, we are required to fulfill the "Breadth of Requirements" which is four classes, one in each area (Math & Science, Art&History etc.). After those four classes, you can take anything you like, and let me tell you- there is SO MUCH to choose from! We are a part of a consortium with four other colleges, and so we essentially have four times the classes as anywhere else. Every college has its specialty, and all of the colleges share the same credo about small classes and engaged professors.

Our school is like PARADISE: almost everything you want is taken care of. The food is incredible, and there are six different dining halls to choose from- each of which serve foods like sushi, filet mignon, and polenta. People live on campus all four years here because the housing options are phenomenal- huge rooms with private bathrooms and a maid that comes once a week- and the social life is centered all on campus. We often refer to a phenomenon called the "Claremont Bubble," which means that you never have to leave campus to be completely satisfied. There are always incredible events going on on campus, whether it is a Ludacris concert or a Bill Gates lecture or intramural soccer or the free movie they put on every week. Pomona College buys all of our alcohol at parties, and there is a party Tuesday through Saturday. That, combined with the incredible weather of Southern California, makes our campus one of the happiest in the country. We love to be here!

5-6 area requirements, advisor assigned from 1st day on campus, classes generally small (15-20 students on average)

very safe campus, food is amazing, dorms generally good

common application essay + one supplemental essay

interview recommended

financial aid given on need basis

Phenomenal.

Pomona's financial aid was a hugely important part of my admissions process and greatly influenced my decision to come here.