general reqs include a foreign language req and PE req, plus we must take courses in multiple fields outside our major (called breadth of study reqs); then there are the major reqs, which are pretty intense

housing is amazing - the dorms are beautiful, cost of living is acceptable, facilities are always in good condition/maintained, the library is wonderful and accessible, there are many options for dining which is great, neighborhood is very safe, we have a positive connection with the community, and almost everyone is extremely happy - we call it "the cult of happiness" at Pomona

used common application, mostly normal essay questions - one was about a time when you had fun, which was a little difference, interviews were very important, early decision is an option (which I used and was admitted by), financial aid is need-blind and loan-free; it is very generous, as well

Every student must fulfill a "breadth of study" requirement in each of 5 areas: Creative expression, Social Institutions and Human Behavior, History, Values, Ethics, and Cultural Studies, Physical and Biological Sciences, and Mathematical Reasoning. Each student must also fulfill a Foreign Language requirement, Physical Education requirement, and other typical graduation requirements. The school offers a large variety of study abroad opportunities, and many students take advantage of these. The school also works very hard to help students find internships and funds independent student research.

Housing is very nice, food is great, we live in an oasis in every sense of the word.

Several essays, Common Application, and interviews all required (interviews as space and distance permit). need-blind admissions, guaranteed financial aid for 100% of demonstrated need.

PE requirement, 3-semester language requirement (which can be skipped with a relevant AP, IB, or SAT II score), 1 full-credit course in each of the following general areas: creative expression, quantitative reasoning, physcial sciences, human ethics and values, human behavior and social institutions. Study abroad is very popular. Academics are rigorous, and students work very hard, but generally achieve a good balance of academic and hands-on learning through extracurriculars, outdoor trips, or other activities. Professors are extremely accessible and invested in the students. Very little competitiveness among students -- the greatest competition is with yourself.

Housing is guaranteed for all 4 years and generally excellent. Other campus facilities are wonderful, including the library, labs, athletic facilities, dining halls, etc.

Pomona uses the Common Application in addition to a supplement which includes extra essays. All demonstrated need is guaranteed to be met, eliminating student loans. Applicants may also complete an optional interview and send in alternative media, such as a video, to supplement their application.

Every person has an academic advisor, whom they can switch if they want.

Summer Undergraduate Research Program (SURP) awards up to $4,000 stipend for the summer doing research with a professor or to come up with an independent research project.

Study abroad is encouraged and very possible, no matter what the major. Different programs abroad for science students (chemistry research, ecology etc.) as well as more typical programs.

Professors always have office hours, will even invite you to their homes for dinners, or you can invite them to lunch. Deans and the President of the college are also accessible and have office hours, will respond to emails.

General requirements broad, you will fulfill them without even realizing.

Very residential college, housing guaranteed for all 4 years, with 97% of students living on campus.

60% single dorm rooms.

Dining is amazing, access to dining halls of all colleges in the consortium (7 dining halls) that serve different food everyday. Vegan, vegetarian, gluten-free options.

Neighborhood is cute, quaint, a lot of boutique stores but quite pricey.

Very safe, even when walking alone at night. Option of having campus security escort you if necessary.

We have Early Action 1 and 2. We accept Common Application and an optional essay on top of that. Interviews are recommended. No scholarships awarded but financial aid is need blind and over half of the students receive aid.

There are 5 general education requirements, one class from each of several broad areas of study. Different majors have different numbers of required classes. You also have to take an intermediate-level language class (plus intro classes before that if you don't test into a high enough level), unless you did well enough on a language AP/IB exam. Classes are usually small; the biggest intro classes are in the 40's and there are a fair number of classes of 5 or less students. Professors are extremely accessible and want to talk to you, get to know you, and help you (inside and outside of class) as much as they can. On the other hand, because professors make themselves so accessible, they have very high standards so grading and workload are generally hard. Students don't really compete academically; we tend to be more supportive and collaborative. Study abroad is very common, and research opportunities are abundant if you're looking for them (aka talking to faculty). Notable faculty are everywhere, and it seems like more often than not the textbook for a class is written either by the professor or his/her predecessor.

It's great. I have one of the smallest doubles on campus, and it's manageable. The campus is beautiful. The library is shared among all 5C's and has tons of great spots to study, as well as the best coffee on campus. Dining is really good, especially because we have 6 dining halls to choose between for every meal. The town is quaint and everything closes relatively early, but it's not tiny, and it's filled with cute shops and great food. The school does a lot of community service to reach out to needy populations nearby. The area is generally very safe, until you go a couple miles south or west. Overall happiness, although it may be partially due to the weather, is fantastic!

Common App plus a supplement with unique essays. An interview is optional but recommended; it can either be on campus with faculty or off campus with alumni (I did one in my hometown with an alumnus). Financial aid is need-blind and the school meets 100% of need (as assessed by the school).

Courses are divided in to 5 categories; must take one class in each category for "breadth of study." Also must complete a language requirement and take at least one Phys. Ed class in the first year. Major requirements (I am a Math major) are approximately 11 classes and a final thesis-like project. I meet with my advisor (who is not in the math department) a couple of times each semester to check in and discuss course selection, though I also speak to professors I've had in the math department regarding math classes. Class sizes are small, generally (I haven't been in a class of more than 30), and the professors make themselves incredibly available. Research opportunities are readily available for those interested. Student attitude is not competitive, but I've heard that 2/3rds of the grades given are As, so there could be a good reason for the laid-back-ness. Workload has always been reasonable for me, but I am very conscious of that when I choose my classes. Faculty are very, very smart and interesting, though perhaps less notable than at a school like Stanford or Harvard.

Very residential. Housing is great; the rooms are really nice and well sized. Very little crime; mostly bike thefts. I've never felt unsafe on campus. Dining on-campus is great; food immediately off-campus is less so. The village is cute though. Not that interesting. Community relations are alright--the college does actively try to improve them, though. As far as I am concerned, most people are very happy.

Common Application, Supplement (one essay), Interview on campus, Early Decision I, merit scholarship from New York State (not affiliated with the college in particular), no financial aid requested.

good

good

common app

There are five areas of GE: math, science, art/literature, history/social science, and politics/society. You also have to take the equivalent of three semesters of a foreign language and complete at least on PE class. Class sizes tend to be very small: my classes usually have about fifteen to twenty people in them. Professors are extremely accessible and helpful and love to work with you on just about anything. I personally haven't done any research here, but I have lots of friends who worked with professors over summers and got paid for it.

The only complaint I have about housing (although this is a big one, I think) is that there is no control over room temperature. A couple dorms allow student control of heat and a/c, but most dorms have no a/c to begin with, and the vast majority of heaters are controlled remotely. This REALLY SUCKS. Everybody has a different ideal temperature, but everybody's forced to live with the same one, which wastes energy at the same time it makes people grumpy.

Cost of living is pretty high, because everything at this school is expensive; but again, financial aid is good for need, and very few people live off campus (even though it's perfectly allowed). The dining halls are ok, but since you're so close to the other colleges you can easily change up the cuisine when you want. The library is great as a resource, but severely lacking on study space. Around finals, there are literally no spots to go study, because they're all taken. Apparently we have problems with theft on campus, especially of bikes, although I've never had anything stolen. The village (the main part of Claremont) is really cute and fun to explore, and there's some good shops and restaurants and nice movie theatre. A lot of the time because of the nice weather students will be out sunning and studying on one of the two large grassy areas; it makes for some happy people.

Wow, this was a long time ago. It was a unique application (i.e. not the Common App) that included a personal essay. I also interviewed with an alumnus and stayed a night on campus as a prospective student. Financial aid is all need-based, no merit-based, but they commit to fulfilling all need. I did regular decision, but they also have early decision.

I have never had a problem being able to talk with my professors and get their opinion on my projects--the best part is that they actually know my name. The class size is always small so I never feel threatened to voice my opinion and constantly interact in the classroom setting which really helps me focus and learn. Grading is always fair and the homework is never redundant. I can honestly say that while I have only studied here for one year, I feel like I have learned 4-year's worth of knowledge in a broad range of topics, from chemistry to American law.

The library is large and accessible, the food is amazing, the community is only a one-minute walk off campus, the faculty is brilliant and always approachable, my room/housing is better than my housing at home. I honestly couldn't be happier here and I can't even believe that I considered going to another college!

Very rigorous and personal. Pomona College's admissions process challenges the applicant to really think about who they are as a person and what they will bring to Pomona College as a student.

There are five general education requirements, each of which can be satisfied by a number of different classes. The only specifically required class is a Freshman seminar. Major requirements vary across disciplines but often allow students to take a good amount of other classes not related to their major. My experience with academic advising has been exceptional; my advisor is very accessible and provides valuable advice about classes and other aspects of my academic life. Class sizes have been small, between 12 and 25 students. What makes Pomona's academic experience so valuable is the combination of a lack of competitiveness between students and intense motivation to do well and collaborate with other students.

Housing is beautiful and spacious, the campus is beautiful, food and dining hall options are fantastic, the neighborhood is charming and safe, and the overall level of student happiness (as I've seen) is very high.

The application included the Common Application an optional supplemental essay to the Common Application and an optional interview, both of which I participated in. I applied early decision, which was binding. There are not merit based scholarships offered through the college.