There are five general education requirements, each of which can be satisfied by a number of different classes. The only specifically required class is a Freshman seminar. Major requirements vary across disciplines but often allow students to take a good amount of other classes not related to their major. My experience with academic advising has been exceptional; my advisor is very accessible and provides valuable advice about classes and other aspects of my academic life. Class sizes have been small, between 12 and 25 students. What makes Pomona's academic experience so valuable is the combination of a lack of competitiveness between students and intense motivation to do well and collaborate with other students.

Housing is beautiful and spacious, the campus is beautiful, food and dining hall options are fantastic, the neighborhood is charming and safe, and the overall level of student happiness (as I've seen) is very high.

The application included the Common Application an optional supplemental essay to the Common Application and an optional interview, both of which I participated in. I applied early decision, which was binding. There are not merit based scholarships offered through the college.

Small classes with wonderful, accessible professors in a broad variety of areas.

Tight-knit, welcoming campus community.

Early Decision round two was a helpful alternative for me.

Courses are divided in to 5 categories; must take one class in each category for "breadth of study." Also must complete a language requirement and take at least one Phys. Ed class in the first year. Major requirements (I am a Math major) are approximately 11 classes and a final thesis-like project. I meet with my advisor (who is not in the math department) a couple of times each semester to check in and discuss course selection, though I also speak to professors I've had in the math department regarding math classes. Class sizes are small, generally (I haven't been in a class of more than 30), and the professors make themselves incredibly available. Research opportunities are readily available for those interested. Student attitude is not competitive, but I've heard that 2/3rds of the grades given are As, so there could be a good reason for the laid-back-ness. Workload has always been reasonable for me, but I am very conscious of that when I choose my classes. Faculty are very, very smart and interesting, though perhaps less notable than at a school like Stanford or Harvard.

Very residential. Housing is great; the rooms are really nice and well sized. Very little crime; mostly bike thefts. I've never felt unsafe on campus. Dining on-campus is great; food immediately off-campus is less so. The village is cute though. Not that interesting. Community relations are alright--the college does actively try to improve them, though. As far as I am concerned, most people are very happy.

Common Application, Supplement (one essay), Interview on campus, Early Decision I, merit scholarship from New York State (not affiliated with the college in particular), no financial aid requested.

As a history major, the classwork at Pomona is rigorous but manageable. Writing skills are tested weekly in many classes. I have never received a grade I felt I did not deserve. There are plenty of research opportunities. Professors are very willing to support independent student research and initiatives. The workload in general allows students to engage in student organizations. Professors are always competent and almost all professors are truly accessible.

Housing is mostly great. Many people live in singles and most freshman housing is pretty good. Sophomore year is usually the worst but even this year many students have great housing. Then, junior and senior year generally mean great housing.

The Common Application and one addition essay are required. An interview is strongly advised. The essay can focus on a wide variety of topics. The financial aid at Pomona is tremendous. Pomona was much cheaper to attend, and a far better school, than my home state schools. Pomona offers many scholarship opportunities for students to pursue research and community projects.

There are five areas of GE: math, science, art/literature, history/social science, and politics/society. You also have to take the equivalent of three semesters of a foreign language and complete at least on PE class. Class sizes tend to be very small: my classes usually have about fifteen to twenty people in them. Professors are extremely accessible and helpful and love to work with you on just about anything. I personally haven't done any research here, but I have lots of friends who worked with professors over summers and got paid for it.

The only complaint I have about housing (although this is a big one, I think) is that there is no control over room temperature. A couple dorms allow student control of heat and a/c, but most dorms have no a/c to begin with, and the vast majority of heaters are controlled remotely. This REALLY SUCKS. Everybody has a different ideal temperature, but everybody's forced to live with the same one, which wastes energy at the same time it makes people grumpy.

Cost of living is pretty high, because everything at this school is expensive; but again, financial aid is good for need, and very few people live off campus (even though it's perfectly allowed). The dining halls are ok, but since you're so close to the other colleges you can easily change up the cuisine when you want. The library is great as a resource, but severely lacking on study space. Around finals, there are literally no spots to go study, because they're all taken. Apparently we have problems with theft on campus, especially of bikes, although I've never had anything stolen. The village (the main part of Claremont) is really cute and fun to explore, and there's some good shops and restaurants and nice movie theatre. A lot of the time because of the nice weather students will be out sunning and studying on one of the two large grassy areas; it makes for some happy people.

Wow, this was a long time ago. It was a unique application (i.e. not the Common App) that included a personal essay. I also interviewed with an alumnus and stayed a night on campus as a prospective student. Financial aid is all need-based, no merit-based, but they commit to fulfilling all need. I did regular decision, but they also have early decision.

There are a few general "area requirements", a language requirement (that can be fulfilled by AP credit), and a PE requirement. Each major has its own requirements and each student must have an adviser in order to register for classes. The classes are generally small (20 or less), except for a few intro and science classes. The professors are accessible almost all the time by email, and all hold office hours or will readily make appointments with students. Research positions are competitive in some departments, but all students will have done some research by the time they've graduated. The summer undergraduate research program provides funding for students to do research on campus over the summer. The academics are more collaborative than competitive, but students are very driven and self-motivated. The grading is somewhat inflated, but students work very hard. Most faculty have the highest degrees in their fields. Most students who want to (which is many) study abroad. The workload is intense, and students spend most of their time during the week doing homework, as well as a significant amount on the weekends.

The housing is excellent (I've had a single room for my first two years and probably will for my next two), the rooms are decent sized and the dorms are kept clean. Most of the necessary costs of living are included in room and board, but the cost of living in the area is generally pretty high. The campus is beautiful and a good size. The facilities I'm familiar with (sciences) are top-notch. I don't really use the library (out of personal preference) but it is a good resource for many people. I love the food, and it's all you can eat, with takeout options. Claremont is a great town, but it doesn't really cater to the college population (restaurants and movies are expensive). The relations with the community are generally good. Crime is not really an issue, although some of the neighboring towns are not very safe. The only crime that is prevalent is bike theft, and there are a few break-ins per year on busy party nights when people leave their doors open. Overall, every one here is happy and loves being at Pomona.

Common Application with supplement including essays. I didn't do an interview, although they were available. I applied Regular Decision.

Every student must fulfill a "breadth of study" requirement in each of 5 areas: Creative expression, Social Institutions and Human Behavior, History, Values, Ethics, and Cultural Studies, Physical and Biological Sciences, and Mathematical Reasoning. Each student must also fulfill a Foreign Language requirement, Physical Education requirement, and other typical graduation requirements. The school offers a large variety of study abroad opportunities, and many students take advantage of these. The school also works very hard to help students find internships and funds independent student research.

Housing is very nice, food is great, we live in an oasis in every sense of the word.

Several essays, Common Application, and interviews all required (interviews as space and distance permit). need-blind admissions, guaranteed financial aid for 100% of demonstrated need.

Liberal arts education, must take a course in each of the five areas, foreign language requirement. Professors are available almost anytime you need. Class size is small, perfect for discussions, professor know your name. Going to lunch with a professor is not uncommon. Grading is tough, exams are hard, challenging, but enriching. Workload is tremendous, but not is doable. Professor are extremely passionate and dedicated to their subject matter. Study abroad is very common, but hard for pre-med students to fit in.

Housing is expensive, but financial aid is phenomenal. Everything is within walking distance. All facilities are up to date and nice. The library is a great place to study, but there also many many other places to study. I have never felt unsafe on campus and crime is basically non-existant.

Common Application plus a supplement (unique question: Something that have recently done just for plain fun, not academics). Regular Decision. Interview optional, but highly recommended. Tremendous scholarship opportunities

Pomona's liberal arts requirements are not that demanding. Students must take courses in all five core areas, and are required to take at least an equivalent of three semesters of a foreign language. Most students graduate with double majors, minors, or transcripts that reflect the cross-discipline nature of the college, and most everyone excels in multiple, diverse fields of study.

Pomona has more dorms rooms than students that need housing. This allows us to live quite comfortably, staying on campus within short walking distance of any destination, including the City of Claremont's historical Village. The facilities are all top-of-the-line, with some dorms boasting real fireplaces, and all classrooms utilizing the latest in education technology. Our library has more books than any other Liberal Arts college in the world. Dining Services are run in-house by the dining staff, who work tirelessly to provide a literal cornucopia of organic produce and gourmet dishes every meal of the day, every day of the week.

The school asks for a photo of you when you apply, which they attach to your file and use to identify you by. The "facial recognition" starts before you are even accepted. It's a very persona and intimate system. Everyone's application is expected to be utterly unique and very informative.

Breadth of study requirements are not a burden, allow students to explore different fields and bring specialized knowledge to diverse studies. Research with faculty is available as a freshman and not overly competitive.

Almost everyone is consistently happy, even in the face of monstrous work. The neighborhood and campus are relatively safe. The food gets better and better. Love it.

Supplement to Common App, Interview, generally standard, but almost all forms were required on paper.