Five breadth of study areas, of which students are required to take at least one class from each. There is also a freshman seminar each freshman is required to take in the first semester. These seminars have 15 or fewer students, with one professor, and it is supposed to be a writing class. Pomona is all undergrad, so professors do research with undergrads, and it is relatively easy for the students to get a research opportunity with a full-fledged professor, even freshman year. We have relatively notable faculty, but they are so approachable, that we notice it less. Most majors require students to write a senior thesis. Over 70% of classes are under 30 students, and the majority are 15 or fewer. The school is not an overly competitive place, in that the students are not cut-throat with each other; we're generally very helpful toward one another. There are over 30 school-sponsored study abroad programs, but it is not difficult to petition to take a non-Pomona program. We're also affiliated with Middlebury Study Abroad, which is a great program. Over all, the academic experience is wonderful.

Dorms are wonderful! Housekeeping takes great care of us. The neighborhood the schools are in is pleasant, in a middle-aged sort of way. The Village of Claremont is a fun place to eat, though a bit pricey for college students. The campus facilities are all top-notch. The library is shared with the consortium, so we have the resources of a mid-sized school library, in a small school.

Pomona uses the Common Application, but there is a supplement, with different essay questions. Interviews are recommended, and can be in the form of an on-campus interview with a senior interviewer, or an alumni interview. There are two early decision dates, and then a regular decision admission program. The application process is need-blind.

Classes are small and generally discussion based. Even big intro science lectures break down into small labs (20-25 people) with two professors and a student assistant. No TAs, no graduate students at all. Especially in science, people get involved in research early - as early as freshman year. Almost everyone does a thesis, with the exception of a few departments that offer senior exercises like seminar or oral exams instead. Most science majors do an experimental thesis. Workload is tough but not unmanagable, you just have to manage your time and be aware of what you have due. General education requirements are incredibly flexible - just one class in each of five categories, a freshman seminar, and language (which can be satisfied by AP anyway). I've never felt competitive with my classmates for grades - I know the professors will grade me on the merits of my work and only my work as it satisfies the objective grading requirements, not in comparison to everyone else. We work together and I feel very comfortable turning to others for help. Study abroad can be difficult for science majors, especially molecular biology and chemistry, but the college works very hard to make sure that everyone who wants to go can.

Dorms are nice all around, but having the quad right in the middle of campus dividing the freshman/sophomores from the juniors/seniors can be frustrating. Almost everyone lives on campus all four years, and we have the guaranteed housing to back it up. If you stick to campus and target, snacks and whatnot is relatively cheap, but elsewhere around the area things can be a bit more expensive (being LA and all). I've never felt unsafe on campus, though I do recommend a solid bike lock - bike theft is the only major crime, and that rarely happens if you actually bother to lock your bike to something solid.

Common application

One unique essay question - this was two years ago, so I don't actually remember what.

Interview not technically required but highly recommended - I've never talked to anyone who got in without doing one

No merit scholarships but 100% need matching financial aid

general reqs include a foreign language req and PE req, plus we must take courses in multiple fields outside our major (called breadth of study reqs); then there are the major reqs, which are pretty intense

housing is amazing - the dorms are beautiful, cost of living is acceptable, facilities are always in good condition/maintained, the library is wonderful and accessible, there are many options for dining which is great, neighborhood is very safe, we have a positive connection with the community, and almost everyone is extremely happy - we call it "the cult of happiness" at Pomona

used common application, mostly normal essay questions - one was about a time when you had fun, which was a little difference, interviews were very important, early decision is an option (which I used and was admitted by), financial aid is need-blind and loan-free; it is very generous, as well

The school is arranged so no matter your major you are able to take classes in the other areas as well. THere are no general something 101 type classes here, in the sciences they do have the generic names, but the expectations are extremely high for everyone. people talk about the grade inflation here, but they make tests so hard they have to curve or all the scores would be the same. research is available to undergrads and study abroad is highly encouraged and easy to do

all students live on campus and the housing is comparatively really great. the dining is very accomidating and all teh campus facilities are excellent

need to have an essay that portrays an interesting personality and eagerness to learn. The test scores have to be high enough for the essay to be even considered though.

Area Requirements (major scholastic disciplines)

Major (8-10 classes, thesis or seminar)

Very good.

Unique Application

As a history major, the classwork at Pomona is rigorous but manageable. Writing skills are tested weekly in many classes. I have never received a grade I felt I did not deserve. There are plenty of research opportunities. Professors are very willing to support independent student research and initiatives. The workload in general allows students to engage in student organizations. Professors are always competent and almost all professors are truly accessible.

Housing is mostly great. Many people live in singles and most freshman housing is pretty good. Sophomore year is usually the worst but even this year many students have great housing. Then, junior and senior year generally mean great housing.

The Common Application and one addition essay are required. An interview is strongly advised. The essay can focus on a wide variety of topics. The financial aid at Pomona is tremendous. Pomona was much cheaper to attend, and a far better school, than my home state schools. Pomona offers many scholarship opportunities for students to pursue research and community projects.

Common application, supplemental essays, interview. Early Decision Option.

I have never had a problem being able to talk with my professors and get their opinion on my projects--the best part is that they actually know my name. The class size is always small so I never feel threatened to voice my opinion and constantly interact in the classroom setting which really helps me focus and learn. Grading is always fair and the homework is never redundant. I can honestly say that while I have only studied here for one year, I feel like I have learned 4-year's worth of knowledge in a broad range of topics, from chemistry to American law.

The library is large and accessible, the food is amazing, the community is only a one-minute walk off campus, the faculty is brilliant and always approachable, my room/housing is better than my housing at home. I honestly couldn't be happier here and I can't even believe that I considered going to another college!

Very rigorous and personal. Pomona College's admissions process challenges the applicant to really think about who they are as a person and what they will bring to Pomona College as a student.

Strong focus on SAT scores, difficulty of high school curriculum, and grades. Approx 90% of entering first-year class was in the top 10% of their high school graduating classes, and the average composite SAT score hovers around 2250.

Students need high numbers to be admitted, but they can be slightly below the averages if a student: comes from a "diverse background", is a recruited athlete, had a parent who attended Pomona, or has significant non-academic accomplishments (see: published research, took time off school to work for a non-profit, high level of artistic talent). Students who don't fall into either of these categories should try to stand out by writing off-beat essays that highlight their personalities.

Liberal arts education, must take a course in each of the five areas, foreign language requirement. Professors are available almost anytime you need. Class size is small, perfect for discussions, professor know your name. Going to lunch with a professor is not uncommon. Grading is tough, exams are hard, challenging, but enriching. Workload is tremendous, but not is doable. Professor are extremely passionate and dedicated to their subject matter. Study abroad is very common, but hard for pre-med students to fit in.

Housing is expensive, but financial aid is phenomenal. Everything is within walking distance. All facilities are up to date and nice. The library is a great place to study, but there also many many other places to study. I have never felt unsafe on campus and crime is basically non-existant.

Common Application plus a supplement (unique question: Something that have recently done just for plain fun, not academics). Regular Decision. Interview optional, but highly recommended. Tremendous scholarship opportunities