Academics at Pomona are spectacular. Classes are small most of the time, but NOT because the school places artificial limits on the size of classes to improve its rating in college guides (cough cough, CMC). If a student wants to get into a class, he or she can almost always talk to the professor and make it happen. The reason classes are small is because the school employs plenty of excellent professors. Small classes are integral to a successful learning environment - it allows student to ask questions during any lecture, receive more attention in class, and better contribute to discussions. One of the best parts about Pomona's academic philosophy is hiring professors who love to spend time with students and make themselves extremely available outside of class. The best learning I have had has been sitting down one on one with a professor in his office or at lunch. Many of our professors are leaders and innovators in their fields so it is great to be able to spend such intimate time with such talented people. Workload is fairly heavy across the board, but I have never had busy work and all of it has been integral to my learning. The academics are what make Pomona a true learning institution!

Housing is very nice, as evidenced by the fact that 97% or so of students live on campus all four years. For instance this fall I will have a full sized bed in a new dorm in a great location. Dining halls are close are so are classes, and made even closer by wide roads for skateboarding and biking. All of the dining halls serve GREAT food, and I almost never eat out because there is really no need to. The library is huge and enormous but could use a lot more room for studying, as students from all five schools use it. The neighborhood is extremely safe, although "townies" can be a bit annoying as high schoolers are not prevented from coming in and stealing things. However the petty crime is few and far between, and even a small girl would never feel unsafe walking home alone at 3 a.m.

Almost everyone at Pomona walks around with a smile on their face. The weather is good, the people and professors are great, the campus is beautiful, and the beach and mountains are only an hour away

I went through the transfer admissions process, so my experience might be a bit different. It involved one application question in particular that made me really think about my life, personality, experience, and goals, that was one of the most difficult yet rewarding essays that I have ever written. I believe the essay is emphasized greatly in the admissions process, because I got in despite a GPA that was below Pomona's high standards, and also because I have spoken with students involved with admission who say that the character of each student is very important to those discussing who to admit.

There are a few general "area requirements", a language requirement (that can be fulfilled by AP credit), and a PE requirement. Each major has its own requirements and each student must have an adviser in order to register for classes. The classes are generally small (20 or less), except for a few intro and science classes. The professors are accessible almost all the time by email, and all hold office hours or will readily make appointments with students. Research positions are competitive in some departments, but all students will have done some research by the time they've graduated. The summer undergraduate research program provides funding for students to do research on campus over the summer. The academics are more collaborative than competitive, but students are very driven and self-motivated. The grading is somewhat inflated, but students work very hard. Most faculty have the highest degrees in their fields. Most students who want to (which is many) study abroad. The workload is intense, and students spend most of their time during the week doing homework, as well as a significant amount on the weekends.

The housing is excellent (I've had a single room for my first two years and probably will for my next two), the rooms are decent sized and the dorms are kept clean. Most of the necessary costs of living are included in room and board, but the cost of living in the area is generally pretty high. The campus is beautiful and a good size. The facilities I'm familiar with (sciences) are top-notch. I don't really use the library (out of personal preference) but it is a good resource for many people. I love the food, and it's all you can eat, with takeout options. Claremont is a great town, but it doesn't really cater to the college population (restaurants and movies are expensive). The relations with the community are generally good. Crime is not really an issue, although some of the neighboring towns are not very safe. The only crime that is prevalent is bike theft, and there are a few break-ins per year on busy party nights when people leave their doors open. Overall, every one here is happy and loves being at Pomona.

Common Application with supplement including essays. I didn't do an interview, although they were available. I applied Regular Decision.

Courses are divided in to 5 categories; must take one class in each category for "breadth of study." Also must complete a language requirement and take at least one Phys. Ed class in the first year. Major requirements (I am a Math major) are approximately 11 classes and a final thesis-like project. I meet with my advisor (who is not in the math department) a couple of times each semester to check in and discuss course selection, though I also speak to professors I've had in the math department regarding math classes. Class sizes are small, generally (I haven't been in a class of more than 30), and the professors make themselves incredibly available. Research opportunities are readily available for those interested. Student attitude is not competitive, but I've heard that 2/3rds of the grades given are As, so there could be a good reason for the laid-back-ness. Workload has always been reasonable for me, but I am very conscious of that when I choose my classes. Faculty are very, very smart and interesting, though perhaps less notable than at a school like Stanford or Harvard.

Very residential. Housing is great; the rooms are really nice and well sized. Very little crime; mostly bike thefts. I've never felt unsafe on campus. Dining on-campus is great; food immediately off-campus is less so. The village is cute though. Not that interesting. Community relations are alright--the college does actively try to improve them, though. As far as I am concerned, most people are very happy.

Common Application, Supplement (one essay), Interview on campus, Early Decision I, merit scholarship from New York State (not affiliated with the college in particular), no financial aid requested.

common app and supplement, with additional optional essay and interview. No merit scholarships, but 100% financial need covered by scholarship.

The academics are rigorous and varied, and the professors expect a lot from you. That being said, the classes are all 20 students or less, and that kind of personal attention is extremely helpful. Professors are always available, and they are some of the smartest people in their respective fields. It is easy to get to know professors, and Pomona encourages close relationships with the faculty. They even give you money to take your professors out to meals! Because the relationships are so close here, there are incredible opportunities to participate in research with professors, and Pomona also pays students to help professors out with current studies and research- an incredible opportunity that is hard to find anywhere else. In terms of the classes themselves, we are required to fulfill the "Breadth of Requirements" which is four classes, one in each area (Math & Science, Art&History etc.). After those four classes, you can take anything you like, and let me tell you- there is SO MUCH to choose from! We are a part of a consortium with four other colleges, and so we essentially have four times the classes as anywhere else. Every college has its specialty, and all of the colleges share the same credo about small classes and engaged professors.

Our school is like PARADISE: almost everything you want is taken care of. The food is incredible, and there are six different dining halls to choose from- each of which serve foods like sushi, filet mignon, and polenta. People live on campus all four years here because the housing options are phenomenal- huge rooms with private bathrooms and a maid that comes once a week- and the social life is centered all on campus. We often refer to a phenomenon called the "Claremont Bubble," which means that you never have to leave campus to be completely satisfied. There are always incredible events going on on campus, whether it is a Ludacris concert or a Bill Gates lecture or intramural soccer or the free movie they put on every week. Pomona College buys all of our alcohol at parties, and there is a party Tuesday through Saturday. That, combined with the incredible weather of Southern California, makes our campus one of the happiest in the country. We love to be here!

Small classes with wonderful, accessible professors in a broad variety of areas.

Tight-knit, welcoming campus community.

Early Decision round two was a helpful alternative for me.

5-6 area requirements, advisor assigned from 1st day on campus, classes generally small (15-20 students on average)

very safe campus, food is amazing, dorms generally good

common application essay + one supplemental essay

interview recommended

financial aid given on need basis

Breadth of study requirements are not a burden, allow students to explore different fields and bring specialized knowledge to diverse studies. Research with faculty is available as a freshman and not overly competitive.

Almost everyone is consistently happy, even in the face of monstrous work. The neighborhood and campus are relatively safe. The food gets better and better. Love it.

Supplement to Common App, Interview, generally standard, but almost all forms were required on paper.

A fair distribution of general requirements with a lot of choice. Class sizes are small. Professors are almost always available in person or by email - even in late hours of the night. Competition is unnecessary, everyone is extremely qualified. Workload is always fair. Study abroad is idealized. Research opportunities are ample. Pomona students work hard, but enjoy doing it.

It's all more than I could ask for.

The application essay was actually enjoyable to write. The interview was my favorite part, in my interviewer I saw a type of person that I aspire to being.

The school is arranged so no matter your major you are able to take classes in the other areas as well. THere are no general something 101 type classes here, in the sciences they do have the generic names, but the expectations are extremely high for everyone. people talk about the grade inflation here, but they make tests so hard they have to curve or all the scores would be the same. research is available to undergrads and study abroad is highly encouraged and easy to do

all students live on campus and the housing is comparatively really great. the dining is very accomidating and all teh campus facilities are excellent

need to have an essay that portrays an interesting personality and eagerness to learn. The test scores have to be high enough for the essay to be even considered though.