Professors are very accessible. Class sizes are small and there are a lot of research opportunities.

Great people, great housing, great area in California, the library is great. I feel very safe on and off campus.

Common Application plus a supplemental part with a few unique essay questions. Interviews are important but not necessary.

There are five areas of GE: math, science, art/literature, history/social science, and politics/society. You also have to take the equivalent of three semesters of a foreign language and complete at least on PE class. Class sizes tend to be very small: my classes usually have about fifteen to twenty people in them. Professors are extremely accessible and helpful and love to work with you on just about anything. I personally haven't done any research here, but I have lots of friends who worked with professors over summers and got paid for it.

The only complaint I have about housing (although this is a big one, I think) is that there is no control over room temperature. A couple dorms allow student control of heat and a/c, but most dorms have no a/c to begin with, and the vast majority of heaters are controlled remotely. This REALLY SUCKS. Everybody has a different ideal temperature, but everybody's forced to live with the same one, which wastes energy at the same time it makes people grumpy.

Cost of living is pretty high, because everything at this school is expensive; but again, financial aid is good for need, and very few people live off campus (even though it's perfectly allowed). The dining halls are ok, but since you're so close to the other colleges you can easily change up the cuisine when you want. The library is great as a resource, but severely lacking on study space. Around finals, there are literally no spots to go study, because they're all taken. Apparently we have problems with theft on campus, especially of bikes, although I've never had anything stolen. The village (the main part of Claremont) is really cute and fun to explore, and there's some good shops and restaurants and nice movie theatre. A lot of the time because of the nice weather students will be out sunning and studying on one of the two large grassy areas; it makes for some happy people.

Wow, this was a long time ago. It was a unique application (i.e. not the Common App) that included a personal essay. I also interviewed with an alumnus and stayed a night on campus as a prospective student. Financial aid is all need-based, no merit-based, but they commit to fulfilling all need. I did regular decision, but they also have early decision.

good

good

common app

Breadth of study requirements in the five major course areas. Small class sizes. Study abroad opportunities (although this can be difficult). Academic advisors assigned to you as a first-year but you can switch advisors according to your needs and interests. There are more jobs than there are students on campus, so it is quite easy to get an on-campus job. There are also research opportunities with professors, even over the summer. Grading is described as inflated and easy, but I think that the professors know how to encourage their students, who work very hard. Workload is tough, but not impossible. Professors want you to succeed and want to create dialogue in and out of the classroom.

Great rooms. Great food. Many dining halls to choose from. Library is spacious, but far away from South campus (where underclassmen live). Very safe neighborhood (but not completely safe). I couldn't imagine attending any other college. While tuition is certainly high, Pomona is a paradise--beautiful buildings, weather, and people!

Common Application plus optional additional essays. There were two sets of Early Decision. Interviews are encouraged. There is financial aid offered to those who qualify.

extremely strong. super nice professors, leading figures of their field. Care about teaching. lecture+discussion, small class size. Professor host office hours, take you out to tea/meal, invite you to their house. A variety of classes to choose from. Very demanding course load, but lots of research/internship/study abroad opportunities and options

Common Application, Pomona College Supplement w/ extra essay, SAT, 2 SATIIs, High School transcript, three recommendation letters, optional art/music/athletic/science supplement, optional interview

need-blind acceptance process + full need met financial aid, very generous

The academic atmosphere is profound. All the students here have evidently been selected for not only for their academic strength but also for the sense of community. The class sizes are small and the academic advising is great. They do require some general requirements but that is expected out of a liberal school, which I believe is great because it allows for the students to really explore. The professors are really accessible and are really nice and considerate. The school does not really have a competitive cut throat atmosphere but instead an atmosphere in that everyone wants to do their best.

Housing is great and campus is beautiful. I rarely really leave the campus because everything you want is here. The dinning halls are pretty good but can be improved. The neighborhood is very safe and I never ever have to worry about being mugged by a homeless person or my overall safety. I say that most everyone here is happy and that this is one of the best atmospheres I have experienced.

Pomona is a very selective school. They do use the Common Application and gives financial on a blind-need basis without loans. Pomona College offered my financial aid and a scholarship. I interviewed for the college and feel that it is a good fit.

I have never had a problem being able to talk with my professors and get their opinion on my projects--the best part is that they actually know my name. The class size is always small so I never feel threatened to voice my opinion and constantly interact in the classroom setting which really helps me focus and learn. Grading is always fair and the homework is never redundant. I can honestly say that while I have only studied here for one year, I feel like I have learned 4-year's worth of knowledge in a broad range of topics, from chemistry to American law.

The library is large and accessible, the food is amazing, the community is only a one-minute walk off campus, the faculty is brilliant and always approachable, my room/housing is better than my housing at home. I honestly couldn't be happier here and I can't even believe that I considered going to another college!

Very rigorous and personal. Pomona College's admissions process challenges the applicant to really think about who they are as a person and what they will bring to Pomona College as a student.

General requirements and core classes - extremely reasonable, especially because many Pomona students have very diverse interests. I and most of my friends fulfill the breadth requirement (one course each in 5 different general subject areas: art and expression, logic and mathematical reasoning, hard sciences, and two categories to cover social studies) without realizing it. The PE courses are all fun, most students go above and beyond the meager requirement in the course of their athletics activities, or just for fun. Language requirement (2 years) is not insignificant, but possible to place out of. Major degree requirements vary greatly between departments, with some majors as few as 9 courses and no required thesis, to a max of 16 courses and required thesis or senior project.

All my interactions with professors at Pomona - from academic advising to office hours to lectures to panicked midnight email exchanges regarding course schedules and summer REUs - have been excellent. All the professors here love teaching and are eager to help you do your best, learn the material, and hopefully develop a deep love for their subject whether or not you're a major. My advisor (also professor and head of my major's department) has helped me search for summer opportunities, forwarding specific REUs she thinks would especially appeal to my interests - based on the many, many hours we've spent together - and I know I'm not the only one to have such a close and rich relationship with my advisor.

Grades are somewhat inflated, it varies greatly by major (Read: don't expect to get straight A's in math or computer science). Everyone at Pomona is brilliant, but you DON'T talk about grades except with your closest friends - we're all here to learn and go to class because we love to learn and enjoy our subjects, not to get good grades (though people do). We work hard ... very hard, and dedicate a lot of time to extracurricular activities, but we also play hard, and always make time for our friends. We talk about work, but hide how stressed we are - that spoils the fun.

Study abroad is very common (I think about half the junior class goes abroad - but , again, it varies by major), Pomona makes it easy and encourages it.

VERY expensive, but once you'r on campus ... Pomona could not be better. I absolutely love it and miss it when I'm away. The campus is beautiful, the library expansive, though we like to complain there are tons of dining options between the 5 colleges of the consortium of which Pomona is a part. The campus feels very safe, and expect to see many smiles.

The City of Claremont likes to deny that it's a college town and is very expensive, but if you don't mind taking the bus or the train (or you have a car, in which case, you can expect to be very popular. Public transportation seriously sucks) the whole of Los Angeles and the Inland Empire is at your doorstep.

- Common Application with required supplement (including additional essay), arts supplement also available

- Interview offered but not required; only about half of my friends did interview

- Early decision and regular decision both offered

- Tons of need-based financial aid available, more common than not to be on financial aid; several of my friend chose Pomona over other schools in part because more aid was offered

There are 5 or 6 requirements depending on your knowledge of a foreign language. Majors are 8-17 classes and minors are usually 6-8.

Everything is amazing here. We are consistently ranked one of the happiest schools in America, and it shows! Everyone is friendly and accepting, and the weather is always great!

I applied ED1. I wrote essays outside of the common application and interviewed.

PE requirement, 3-semester language requirement (which can be skipped with a relevant AP, IB, or SAT II score), 1 full-credit course in each of the following general areas: creative expression, quantitative reasoning, physcial sciences, human ethics and values, human behavior and social institutions. Study abroad is very popular. Academics are rigorous, and students work very hard, but generally achieve a good balance of academic and hands-on learning through extracurriculars, outdoor trips, or other activities. Professors are extremely accessible and invested in the students. Very little competitiveness among students -- the greatest competition is with yourself.

Housing is guaranteed for all 4 years and generally excellent. Other campus facilities are wonderful, including the library, labs, athletic facilities, dining halls, etc.

Pomona uses the Common Application in addition to a supplement which includes extra essays. All demonstrated need is guaranteed to be met, eliminating student loans. Applicants may also complete an optional interview and send in alternative media, such as a video, to supplement their application.