“Good University”

bureaucratic administration

some classes too large

flawed classes

some political leanings supported

Comments

cookie cutter

little ability to do things your way

high demand from employers

lots of opportunity

“Penn State University Park”
November 2016CURRENT STUDENT

Penn State is a large school which means there is a diverse range of opportunities to choose from

The difficulties that come with navigating all of the opportunities that are available really limits how much you can truly explore

Comments

Know what you want to study or possibly study before you get here. Going to Penn State for Business or Engineering is great, but if you want to switch your major to something chances are PSU will have it, but it doesn't mean it is in the same tier of excellence as the major you originally intended

Most of the general ed classes at Penn State are really big, like around one hundred students in a lecture hall. There are several TAs (Teacher's Assistants) in each class, who are upperclassmen who did well in the class and have come back to help current students. So I always had several resources if I needed help with my schoolwork. As I finished my general ed requirements and moved into classes particular to my chosen major, class size became much smaller and I found that I talked a lot more with my professors and not with their TAs when I had concerns. My advisor was awesome and very helpful and I was constantly stopping by her office to confirm classes I was planning to register for in subsequent semesters, talk about my GPA, etc. Penn State faculty in general is very eager to see students succeed. I found that if ever I needed help or advice with anything I was working on, several staff members made themselves available to talk with me in person, by e-mail, or by phone. My workload was very reasonable, not to say that I didn't study hard. I found that I was easily able to keep on top of my studies while having an active social life, although there were nights I spent busting out papers that I would rather have been downtown with my roommates. The same is true for grades: An 'A' is totally achievable, but you have to take your schoolwork seriously if you want to get it. I did not choose to study abroad while in college, but my sister who also went to Penn State did study in Argentina for a semester.

State College, PA--where the main campus of Penn State is located--is the nicest, safest town. There are so many dorms on campus and lots of apartments just off campus for students to live in. There are also several other apartment buildings throughout the town. There are two big libraries, one on campus and one downtown, just off campus, available to students. The food is excellent. Because the university is so close to downtown State College, there are so many restaurants and tons of bars within short walking distance of every dorm and downtown apartment. There is a bus system that travels throughout the town, so it's easy to get to campus even if you do choose to live further away. State College is a really happy place. I went to Penn State for six years and I really believe there's no place like it. I really miss it now that I've graduated.

The application process was fairly simple for me. I filled out an application and also sent in my high school transcript and my SAT score. I don't remember needing to write an application letter.

2009

Very challenging. When I speak to my friends who have pursued similar degrees at other public universities, Penn State has math and science requirements that are much more rigorous. The academic advising I received at Penn State was incredible - my former adviser became a mentor and friend - we still keep in touch. Core courses like Bio 101 were huge - but more specialized classes were much smaller, making it much easier to interact with professors and classmates. I also had an opportunity to travel abroad to study in Russia with most expenses covered by funding secured by the College of Ag Sciences.

Great facilities, beautiful campus with plenty of green areas and beautiful buildings. Unfortunately, very expensive to live on campus.

It's been a while, but I remember the application being somewhat long. The essay section was challenging but gave me an opportunity to express myself openly. Getting into the University Park Campus on my first year was not easy as space for first year students is limited.

2007

Very competitive, large class sizes, notable faculty, heavy workload

A lot of fun things to do

Application and essay

General requirements for everyone and college specific. General requirements include speech, two english classes, gym classes, and a number of credits in science, international studies, philososy, etc. There were many research opportunitues, and study abroad opporutnities. I chose to spend a summer in Italy. Workload for architectural engineering was fairly heavy. Faculity was very notable, yet easily accessible. General education classes were large while major specific classes were small.

the community is a small college town. It was affordable and safe with excellent facilities and library. There were unlimited resources.

2008

They have such a great deal of various class sizes. It can be anything from 3 people per class to 250. What I have always said about the greatness about Penn State is that you can make it as big or as small as you could imagine. The resources, both within the academic setting, as well as extracurricular, seem limitless. Penn State truly prepares its students to be free-thinkers and to take the lead within the world.

While dorm life can be a bit cramped and close quarters in about an eighth of the dorm and on campus options, the food services, housing services and everything else associated with housing makes up for it! I always felt very safe and in a very positive and friendly environment while at Penn State!

As far as my admissions, I remember it being a time where many of the colleges and universities that I applied to had both paper and online applications. Penn State's application was very simple and straightforward in comparison to other schools that I applied to! I remember being very excited that I could nearly do the entire application online. (To be fair, in the past five years, a great deal of revamping has gone on for the application side of things!)

2009

General education requirement - often will contribute to your major

Academic advising - assigned to your own advisor

Classes are very large in the beginning courses (200-500) but get much small as become more concentrated.

Many research and opportunities to be involved. Professors are relatively acccessible. Many study abroad opportunities available

Housing is pretty good. No air conditioning but food is good, cost is reasonable. Lots of places to study and eat. Felt very safe.

Optional essays. No interviews. Rolling admission. No early decision/action. Financial aid and scholarships from the university are difficult to get.

2007

My degree requires a total of 120 credits, with over 30 of them coming from general education requirements that span many different academic areas. I have always found the academic advising that is available to be very useful. Many of my classes in my first two years were large lectures, but many of those classes were my favorites. The professors in the large lectures were very dynamic and engaging. Once I entered my major the size of my classes decreased significantly. Professors hold office hours that are very useful for students, and they are also always willing to set appointments with students. The university also provides countless study abroad opportunities that are highly received by students.

Penn State operations on a rolling admissions process without an early decision option. The application includes a brief personal statement, and the university does not require an interview. Overall, it is a fairly simple application process. There seems to be very little financial aid available from the university itself. Students are encouraged to seek financial aid from outside sources.

Certain number of GenEds, which take up alot of your workload at first, then as you move higher up in your major you get more specific to your field.