New College doesn't force you to take all the "Core" classes other schools do. For instance, if you are a history major and have good enough SAT scores you don't need to take any Math classes. However, almost every major requires one science, and there are special science classes for non majors. However, New College wants you to master your field. Therefore, the lack of an extremely strict core class system is replaced w/ heavy classes in your field from day one. By the end you will be conducting independent research in your field similar or better than what you will do in a Masters program (My masters was a joke compared to New College).

Day one you will be assigned an academic advisor, you will have meetings w them at the beginning of each semester. You can make appointments w them regularly as they have and advising schedule for appointments every week.

More than 90 percent of classes are 15 people or less. The biggest classes are Natural Sciences where it is not unusual to see 30 people in a class. However, all professors are highly accessible they are willing to help. Nevertheless, they need to see your desire to create and work for your own opportunities.

Very competitive academics but not in a traditional head to head w other students. What matters here is that you learn and take up on challenges from your professors.

Work load is heavy but not unmanageable. For a Social Science student it is not uncommon to read between 200-400 pages a week per class. But trust me...it is all very fun.

Cost of housing is fair, first year accommodations are not great but very cheap, cost of living in Sarasota is low (specially considering how wealthy and nice it is), campus is beautiful, facilities are good and getting better, library is excellent (especially for a small school), on campus dinning is...(kinda gross) and a little expensive, but the cafeteria really makes an effort to make great food, they just can't seem to keep up w the demands from the students (Vegan, Vegetarian, Carnivore food is served for almost every meal). The neighborhood surrounding New College is nice in one side....the other is ugh...New Town (just don't walk through the neighborhood). College has good relations in the community. Very low crime, most of it is petty (bikes stolen etc), it is very safe. Campus is truly extremely happy.

Two essays encouraged, Interviews encouraged and considered in admission process. Generous scholarship opportunities. Apply early, even though the process is highly competitive it still remains very friendly. Don't be afraid to call and inquire in regards to your application.

This school is mostly attended by middle high class white students, make sure you note what makes you different, how are you unique. New College truly fosters individuality, don't be afraid to show yours. No topic...except illegal ones(even those might find friendly ears) is out of line. Just be yourself show that you work hard, are independently motivated, and can deal w a diversity of situations. If that doesn't sound like you or you truly don't have an open mind this is not the school for you. Having said that you can be of any political affiliation, personal orientation, religion, or walk of life and will be respected as long as you respect as well.

New College has very small class sizes and very dedicated faculty. Students are interested in their academic work. Outside of class, on the residential college campus, academic topics are a frequent part of social conversation. Students often undertake independent research projects. Undergraduate students create many long papers and a senior thesis, a significant work usually about 100 pages in length.

New College is a liberal arts college and is strongest in core, fundamental disciplines: economics, pure math, political theory, classics, philosophy, sociology, and social theory. New College also has a strong marine science program, a product of its access to Sarasota Bay and the Gulf of Mexico, and its partnership with Mote Marine Laboratory.

New College's student life is centered on its residential campus, where 80 percent of students live. There is a vibrant social life on campus, drawing on a student-run coffeeshop that is open late into the evening, and on a largely student-driven music scene.

2009

There are no general requirements at New College. Students have the chance to create their own course of study if that which they desire is not offered. All students have an adviser with whom they can discuss their coursework. Class size was small. Some of my classes had only 6 students. My largest class had about 60. The professors are fabulous and opportunities for research abound. All students are required to write an undergraduate thesis.

I did not find students to be competitive with one another. In lieu of grades, New College has written evaluations which provide more to the student. It is easier to determine as a student where you are doing well or poorly because your professors tell you clearly and in some detail how you are doing.

The housing is the best I have ever seen at a university. The main dining facility is a little lackluster but has been improving. The student-run cafe on campus is fabulous. The campus is beautiful.

I always felt comfortable on campus because of the close community and the good relationship with the campus police.

2009

Available professors, small class sizes

Rolling admissions, emphasis on "Fit"

2009

New College emphasizes student input on education. Along with an adviser, students are encouraged to help create their own curriculum and requirements for graduation, while still using tried and true guidelines made by the school.

Because it is such a small school, the majority of New College students live on campus. This creates a wonderful atmosphere and allows for a very real sense of community to develop.

Narrative evaluations, honors thesis required, class sizes around 18 students, lots if independence.

housing is expensive and the food is awful but it's happier than disney

Common application with particular attention paid to essays.

Rather than annoying required classes, New College only asks that you take one class in each of the three major areas of study (Natural Sciences, Humanities, and Social Sciences). After that, you can focus on your concentration (major). Each student has an academic adviser, generally based on your area of study. If you change what you're studying, you can also change your adviser to someone more relevant and potentially helpful to you. Class sizes can range from one person to about 40. You can create classes, called tutorials, with professors if something you're interested in isn't offered as a course. Professors in general are incredibly accessible, and will readily agree to meet with you. New College is competitive as a college, since it is so challenging academically. Within the college, however, there is not much of a sense of competitiveness. This is because we do not have grades. Instead, we receive written evaluations from our professors, which describe not only how well we did in the class, but how much effort we put forth, as well as our class participation. No one is competing to receive the highest A, we're all just trying to learn and pass the class. Though New College courses are pass/fail, they are not any easy because of that. The workload is high, and students must be prepared to manage their time well in order to be able to complete all of their work.

New College is a very challenging, but also very rewarding, school that caters to the needs of each individual.

The dorms on campus are in general much larger than those you will find at most other colleges. They are all nice places to live, and the older dorms are even being renovated. Unless you're an out-of-state student, New College overall is very affordable. Dorm-side of campus isn't the prettiest (if you don't like the color beige, as I don't) but it does the job and it's certainly not a bad place to be. I'm very happy to be living on campus for the third year in a row. The academic side of campus is much prettier, and is situated on Sarasota Bay. The facilities in general are very nice, as is the library, and with the 50th anniversary of the school having just passed, many renovations are going to on as well. I feel very safe on campus; New College, being so small, is like a family, and we recognize when there are outsiders. New College is a great place to live.

The most important part of New College admissions is the personal essay.

Class sizes are anywhere from 2 students to 30. The general requirements are the Liberal Arts Curriculum. There are major degree requirements for all Areas of Concentration (normally students discuss these requirements with their advisors). The professors are extremely accessible. There are research opportunities available, but students must be proactive in getting them. It is very competitive due to its size. The grading is done not with grades but through the evaluation system. A student either completes a course with a satisfactory, or fails it with an unsatisfactory. Professors offer constructive criticism through these evaluations. The faculty mostly has end degrees in their fields. There are many study abroad opportunities if a student wishes to pursue them. The workload is heavy, but if a student is self-motivated, it is fun to get done.

Housing is nice with great facilities. The cost of living is reasonable. The campus is absolutely beautiful. The library is well kept and always has what I am looking for. The dining is subpar, but acceptable. The neighborhood is fine; sometimes it seems less than safe but our campus police keeps me feeling safe. I am more than satisfied with life at my school. I wouldn't want to go anywhere else.

Common Application was used with the essay questions used for all Common Applications. There were many financial aid and scholarship opportunities available from this college.

focus on independent learning, very challenging, no grades, grad school-like, small class size, personal relationships with professors

pretty good dorms, surrounded by awesome people, trusting environment, pretty bad dining hall

unique application, essays

The academics at my school are very unique. all students must take a certain amount of classes that satisfy liberal arts curriculum requirements. Besides that, each area of concentration requires certain classes. Each student is assigned an advisor to discuss his or her course of education. The system is considered non- competitive because then are no grades. Instead, each student is given a detailer evaluation by ad of his or her professors.

Housing is fantastic. Even first mylar students get bathrooms in their dorm rooms. Violent crime is very low, however property crime is slightly high. The community is small and very close. The food is edible, but the dining area is fantastic.

Very conventional, requesting simply a common application and an essay. No interview was required. Letters were sent out prior to the application process guaranteeing a scholarship.