New College operates on a pass/fail (satisfactory/unsatisfactory) system on a class-by-class basis, but overall success or failure is gauged on a 'contract' system negotiated with your academic adviser. One might sign up for four classes and have a 'three out of four' contract - satisfactory marks in three classes will satisfy the requirements of your contract (seven of which are needed to graduate). This allows students to push their boundaries without fearing failure.

The school is more cooperative than competitive and class sizes are small. Professors are incredibly accessible and it's rare that one forgets your name. Workload can be tough, but it's almost always fair.

Housing is great - most rooms are suites with three to four individual rooms inside. New College is fairly self-contained, so the community off-campus isn't that strong (the downtown area is great, though, and standard shopping isn't far away). Crime is also very low. The library is very good for such a small school. Food service is so-so, but we have a student-run cafe that's great (if a bit slow).

I used the Common Application and applied early. I automatically received two scholarships for academic excellence and my IB Diploma.

The Liberal Arts Curriculum is a very broad and expansive set of criteria that enabled me to study what I was really interested in. For example, I took Environmental Studies, the Norman Conquest of the Medieval World, Political Science, Religion and LGBT rights courses all in my first year! The class sizes are very small with my biggest at maybe 15 students. The professors are brilliant and encourage you to meet with them and offer a whole range of great resources. Grading is a lot more personal as the A, B, C system has been thrown out. It gives you a lot more feedback then a simple "A". Getting the "Strongly Satisfactory" at the end of a class is the best feeling in the world as you know you and the professor have really worked together.

Housing is relatively nice, living off campus isn't really necessary and costs can be quite low. The campus is beautiful, the bay front is a great place for just about anything and the facilities of the campus are great for the student population size. The campus is really closely-nit and quite safe while dining is better than I ever had in elementary, middle, or high school.

The essay questions were pretty unique and really got me thinking about what I wanted out of life and what I had so far. I was pretty set on going to New College and they provided me with suitable financial aid when I told them that I'd be going.

Small classes (I've even had a one-on-one class), great opportunities to design and participate in unique tutorials for credit, great openness to studying abroad, good financial assistance for academic projects. Professors are incredibly accessible and understanding. Many experts in their fields. I love the narrative evaluation system, which is competitive, fair, and very unique.

Low crime rates. Slightly high costs for living & eating on campus. Great library, incredible sense of community, beautiful surroundings. Dining is expensive & usually bad-quality, though. Although the student-run cafe, The Four Winds, is incredible!

Common Application was (I believe) used. There were also unique essay questions and an optional interview in which I did not participate. New College has rolling admission & so they were the first school I was accepted to-- very quick decision, which is very appreciated.

How the fact that every professor at New College has their terminal degree in their field has managed to mostly escape national attention is beyond me. As a freshman, I took a class with only fourteen other people taught by a professor with a PhD from Harvard. How many other college students in the country can say that? Probably fourteen. For all of this that is given, though, much is expected. Twenty-page term papers are fairly standard in the humanities and social sciences departments. Though the professors are kind and understanding, do no expect exceptions to be made.

Housing is ridiculously expensive, and though novo collegians love to complain about things like how expensive housing is, the facilities are really nice. Most freshmen live in the Pei dorms, which are very spacious and well air conditioned. Many rooms have balconies, and all rooms have their own bathroom, including a shower. Older students can get apartment-style housing with individual bedrooms and their own kitchens. Other facilities on campus also make you feel like you're home, or better than at home: We have a year-round outdoor pool, hammocks swath many of the palm trees, and word has it that it isn't too difficult to climb on top of the student center to watch the sunrise.

New College has one of the safest campuses I've ever been on. As a female student, I have no fear walking at night anywhere on campus by myself, even on the weekends. One major plus of the campus being so small is that it's very obvious if someone is on campus who doesn't belong there, and these people are quickly reported to the campus police who escort them off campus.

That being said, one major downside to having small campus is the lack of food options. We have one cafeteria that has ludicrous hours (4:45-5:45 for dinner? Really?) and is supplied by the same food company that serves many of the nation's prison's. That should tell you something. Some people complain about the large amount of meal points freshman are required to purchase, but if you're like me and don't have a car your first year, you'll go through them all easily enough.

By all accounts, more emphasis is placed on the essay than at other schools. New College is definitely a place that appreciates individuals, so it pays to show your true inner freak - so long as you have the grades to back it up.

The requirements are reasonable and allow room for specialization according to your interests. The small size of the school limits the amount of classes offered, but there is a good variety, for the size. Advising is great, the professors are very helpful and involved in helping you figure out your course of study. Class sizes are very small (mine have been 7-20 kids each). Professors are incredibly accessible. The classes aren't competitive, it is more like students help each other out and learn from each other. The work load is pretty big, but manageable. The faculty are all great, all PhDs with a lot of research experience and published materials.

Housing is decent. The first year dorms are pretty terrible, but the apartments are pretty okay. We have water outages and stuff like that every now and then, and the housing department charges exorbitantly for non-existent "room damages." The dorms are very expensive, and they let very few students live off campus. The food is pretty terrible, but there's vegan options, at least. Campus is very safe, the police look out for us. Living on campus has its drawbacks, but I enjoy it overall.

Common application. Interviews are optional. There is early decision. Awesome scholarships (I got National Merit, which covers most of my out-of-state tuition).

A very unique program with lots of freedom. Definitely not for everyone, only self-driven and motivated students succed at New College. The pass or fail system relieves the stress of the grade system and allows for true learning to take place. You learn from your peers as well as your professors.

The dorms are very nice, but the Residential life staff are horrible. The campus is just gorgeous!!!! Living on Sarasota Bay is a treat. The campus police are friendly and helpful. The library is an incredible resource. The surrounding nieghborhood is not the best- but the college is fairly insulated from it. Overall I enjoyed an excellent quality of life.

Must have high GPA and test scores. Personal essay is very important. Common app used. Good financial aid and lots of scholarships.

It all varies with what your AOC is.

The food is kind of awful but that is because we cater to vegan and vegetarians, the omnivore food suffers from it. The dorms are nice compared to those at other schools but are grossly overpriced for what they are. Also living on campus is mandatory unless you have a really good reason.

A one page single spaced typed free form essay is required.

-Very small class sizes,

-extremely accessible professors

-great research opportunities

-significantly-large workload

-advisers are very helpful and genuinely care about the well-being of their students, academic and nonacademic

-degree reqs. depend on the field, but you can usually cater them to your interests to some degree

Cost of housing is extremely high, but it is worth it to be on-campus.

Great community relations- this is a highlight of our school that not many students take advantage of! New College has provided a lot for the community, and as a result we are very well-respected in the community. There are so many cultural opportunities, including a multitude of local arts organizations, that love to work with NCF students.

Common Application, no interview, regular decision

New College is a Liberal Arts school, meaning we focus on the traditional liberal arts and sciences. We do not have general education requirements, but rather a liberal arts core curriculum that is devised such that students can better focus their studies on their interests. Rather than calling our programs "majors" we call them "Areas of Concentration" or AoC for short. All AoC's on average have between 8 and 10 core required courses with most students taking many more. Every student has a faculty adviser, who they can meet with easily to discuss their academic performance. Furthermore, we do not utilise a grading system and rather hold all our classes on a pass/fail system with narrative evaluations of performance. The strength of this is found in the fact that every student gets personal feedback from professors. Professors are extremely accessible on campus and always available for meetings with students. Additionally, with departments having at most 5 full-time faculty, students develop very close relationship with their professors. The most common description as that the student-professor interaction is what you would expect at a graduate level program.

We're a very close knit community with ~800 students for the entire college. This translates into several different unique and great things for the campus. Crime is almost non-existent; with such a small student body we tend to self police in conjunction with the campus police meaning that violent crime is unheard of. We also mostly like one another and hold a large number of school wide events that bring the entire community together. We have just finished construction on a new academic centre which is providing new class rooms, offices, as well as a second student-owned and operated cafe for the campus. For a small student body, we cover a 119 acres of land which includes part of the historical Ringling Estate and grounds.

School uses the Common Application, but additionally requests an written sample to be submitted in addition to the common app essay. School utilises a rolling admissions style for acceptance, meaning there is no early decision option, but the sooner an application is submitted the earlier the decisions is rendered. All admitted students are guaranteed an institutional scholarship that covers a significant portion of the tuition.

All students are required to take at least one class from each division. Students must take at least 8 classes that count as liberal arts credits. For psychology, I had to take introductory psychology, abnormal, cognitive, developmental, social, two advanced psychology classes, a psychology lab, statistics, and research methods in psychology. All graduating students must also complete a thesis in their chosen major. In addition New College does not have grades. We have a pass/fail system. We receive narrative evaluations from our teachers after each class. They tell us what we did well and what we need to work on, often on every assignment. But this does not mean that our classes are easy. We regularly had to write 10, 15, and 20 page papers. Most tests were essay.

The library at my school is amazing. They have several subscriptions to academic journals that I can access online for free. The neighborhood is not the best, but the campus itself is very safe. The police are easily accessible in case of trouble and are never very far off. Some of the dorms an campus are a little old, but they are very large. I really like the apartment style dorms. Everyone has their one individual room and share a kitchen, a living room, and two bathrooms. The new letter dorms are also nice. They have a fridge and cabinets, as well as individual rooms and one bathroom. You need an encoded card to get into them, which also helps with campus safety.

The application process was fairly easy. I completed the general college application and an additional application from my school. The extra application consisted of an additional essay and a few additional questions. I received a scholarship and credit for classes I took in high school. I went to a different school and after a year decided to transfer to New College. So I had to fill out an additional questionnaire about why I wanted to transfer. I also lost my scholarship and credit for classes from high school.