The math and science were outstanding. The engineering classes were among the best in the world. The english classes were easy enough that even I could get through them.

There is (or was) zero crime at the school. The dorms sucks, most people live in the numerous old houses around the area. The classrooms, labs and facilites are world class. The cost to attend is cheap. The food is great at the at the Union (fresh Laketrout, and Pastes). Outdoor sctivites (winter only) are unbelivable.

Score high enough on the Math and Science portion of the ACT and your in, english does not matter.

2004 or earlier

Large freshman class largets about 500 lecture, that by senior year I think the largest lecture was maybe 100. Labs never more than 20.

When I started if you had a pulse and a high school diploma. You stayed in by making the grade. I don't think I'm overstating it when I say 2/3 of the people I start school with dropped or transferred out.

2004 or earlier

Very industry focused; this has served me well. MTU focuses on creating engineers who are ready to work in the real world.

The size of the school, around 6,000, made it big enough to meet a variety of people but not too small to be stagnant.

Rolling admission process, no essay required.

2005

Open enrollment. No essay required. Recommended minimum ACT scores and GPA.

2004 or earlier

Difficult classes but good class sizes and decent accessibility of professors.

Halls were in need of renovation - which they have done since I was there. Nice, safe area. Low cost of living. Not many dining options.

Easy, standard admissions process. Send in high school transcripts, application, etc.

2004 or earlier

Ridiculously hard. I am a double major Mechanical and electrical Engineer with a minor in Spanish. Professors are mostly international and very little of them are here to actually teach. Most of the professors here are for research and one can see that through there teaching.

Calm, collected. Students are there to study and still have a good time.

Fill out an application, with ACT score attached. Short essay. I don't really remember.

Good basic undergrad program for engineers

Very good - liked it and remember it fondly

Too long ago - don't remember

2004 or earlier

This was in the late '50s-early '60s. Michigan Tech had (and still has, I believe) an engineering curriculum that was practical and useful, while also in-depth as to theory. I got what I used in my aircraft-engine design career from my BSME there, rather than from my MSME at anothe prestigious university.

2004 or earlier

The general requirement classes include a Perspectives class, which is like debate, World Cultures, which is similar to World History (but you can switch 2 semesters of foreign language for this), a Revisions class, which is writing, and Institutions, which is like government. We also must take 3 credits of P.E. courses. Class sizes are generally small, except for the large science classes that nearly everyone must take--Physics, Chemistry, and the like. Academic advising isn't great, because most of the advisors don't really know much about the classes we have to take. I can easily talk to any of my professors, and I landed a job in a research lab the second semester of my first year. That's not to say that the school is not competitive--it is. We have many study abroad opportunities, and are encouraged to take them. I have problems with the workload at times, because each professor seems to think that his or her class is the most important.

Housing is great--a real sense of community. However, it's quite expensive, and they charge us for very silly things. The library is perfect--many computer labs, many study rooms, many nooks and crannies to study in. The area is beautiful, and all the people are nice. There is a very low crime rate. I love it here.

A simple application, and one essay. Free admissions. Financial aid and scholarship opportunities.

In the late 1970s few opportunities to study abroad, , mostly back then it was strictly academics, not much womens athletics or otehrs beside football and hockey, and not much overlap between majors.

In the late 1970s there were very few places and no nearby walking distacnes apartments to move off to. Finally in senior year we basically moved most of Douglass Houghton Hall to the two newish apt buildings down the road from the forestry school. And we had four in a 2 bedroom apt sharing the bedroom, and no one had cars much.