“I loved MSU”
February 2017FORMER STUDENT

The campus is beautiful. Walking to class felt therapeutic.

Diversity: I was from a very small town and had to live in the dorms the first year. I met so many new people from different places and backgrounds. It was wonderful for me.

Professors: Mine were always available and willing to help me out.

Location: East Lansing, Lansing, surrounding areas have lots to do

Jobs: I was able to easily get campus jobs

The dorms were small and outdated. Some of my freshman classes were held in the basements of the dorm halls and I felt like for what I was paying, the atmosphere should have been better.

Comments

Try to really think about what you want to do with your college experience and degree, because your advisors won't do that for you.

We have a host of general requirements we must take. Once those are completed however there are many classes in each field of study. There are many majors to choose from, each being unique with their degree requirements. Advisers are easy to get in contact with and are generally very helpful when it comes to finding the best course of action for your degree. There are many opportunities to work with professors, as well as have research opportunities. The sciences especially have a great deal of research opportunities.

Campus is beautiful, and living on campus is easy and very comfortable. I have never once felt unsafe on-campus, and rarely felt unsafe off-campus. The surrounding area of East Lansing is slightly pricey when it comes to living, but nothing can beat the atmosphere.

We must fill out a paper application which has two short answers. Then we must complete a proctored essay.

University requirements plus degree requirements. Class sizes vary from very few, such as 10, to very very large, there is a 600+ seat lecture hall in the college of business.

it's all really great, seriously.

Application. Includes one essay. If you enroll before a certain date, you are automatically put in a pool for scholarships.

120 credits to graduate, particular courses in your field are required. Class sizes range from very small to very big. Accessibility of professors and research opportunities are huge.

Great network of friends, wonderful family support and good balance between academics and social life.

Online application with essay.

I enjoy the varying class sizes at MSU. I have been in classes ranging from 20 students to over 600, and I have enjoyed all of my experiences in these classes. All professors at MSU are required to hold weekly office hours in which they are fully available to their students. I have found that many professors will go above and beyond to interact with students outside of classroom and give them additional help with the class or with letters of recommendation.

I also really enjoy the many choices I have in completing the general University requirements. All of the professors I have had for my general requirements are amongst the top in their fields and really care about their student's education.

I love living on campus as a Resident Mentor. I have always enjoyed the variety of food served in the dining halls, and MSU is constantly working on improving all of its living facilities.

It has been 3 years since I applied, but I remember writing an essay concerning diversity.

All professors are required to hold office hours during which time they are fully available to their students.

All students must take a math, writing, and social science courses in order to graduate.

I cannot remember any of my admissions process.

I am a member of a learning community which provides unique learning, classroom, laboratory and community opportunites to students interested in pursuing degrees in the sciences. I believe this has increased my general knowledge and college experience exponencially.

The cost of living is nothing extraordinary and the cost of housing is comperable to other universities with similar community structures. The main campus library is fantastic, though the reduced hours of operation are not. University and community relations are excellent from what I have experienced. We live in a mutualistic relationship which helps protect from violance and encourages exploration of life and self.

The application precess was common and nothing extraordinary. Those this does not mean students will take the process lightly, more will be encouraged to apply without genuine interest in attending Michigan State.

Had to write an Essay, along with the other normal things needed for admissiond (grades, classes, etc.). Overall it was pretty comprehensive, while still not being painfully difficult.

The class sizes vary quite a bit, but it leads to a well rounded experience. No matter the size of the class, the professors truly seem to care about the subjects they are teaching and the well being and achievement of their students. The university requirements are well rounded, and there are many classes to choose from in terms of subject matter.

The cost of living is very high, and it has increased by 5% for the past 3 years. The facilities are great and are constantly being renovated.

The admissions process was very similar to all of the colleges I applied to in the state of Michigan (Hope, Central Michigan University, and Western Michigan University). The essay was required, but it was similar to all of the essays I had written for my other applications. I also applied to the College of Education my sophomore year, and the admissions process for the college was very extensive including several essay questions, a basic skills test, and a timed essay.

My class sizes vary. However, my massive classes never get overwhelming. I always feel free to ask questions and get one on one help. Professors are incredibly accommodating. MSU has a great Study Abroad program that I am hoping to take part in eventually.

Housing is nice. Great way to make friends and feel a sense of community at MSU.

The application requires a personal essay. MSU likes to know about any honors, awards, or extra-curriculars you were involved in. Grades, courses taken, and diversity are key.