There is a core of common studies for all university students, average class size around 25. Professors always have at least 6 office hours every week and make themselves very available to further their students' education. Workload can be heavy - lots of reading. It is difficult to catch up if you let yourself get behind.

Dorms are generally a little more expensive than apartments. All freshmen and sophomores must live in the dormitories unless they commute from home. Off-campus housing is usually right behind on-campus housing, adding on just a couple of minutes to the walk for class. The community at Marquette is wonderful; students always run into friends and classmates when walking around campus, creating a very comfortable atmosphere. The LIMO program and Department of Public Safety keep the area feeling safe at night.

Submit essay with online application, submit separate application for admission to the Honors Program, submit FAFSA for financial aid

Everyone is required to take core classes (math, science, english, foreign language, literature, theology, philosophy, and history) in order to graduate. For my nursing degree, I took lectures and clinicals. Some common core classes were very large (over 200 students) but most of my common core classes have been less than 35. For my nursing classes, all the nursing students are in class together, so those classes are typically around 90 students. However, the nursing professors really did get to know the students and most actually knew me by first name. The nursing program is very competetive. Also the grading is intense - to receive an "A" one must acheive a 94%. Studying abroad while in nursing is tricky because of the rigorous class load, most credits can't be taken outside of Marquette's program.

Dorms are pretty typical of most schools - tiny room, community bathrooms. Cost of living in the dorms was very high. I spend half as much living in an apartment on campus (apartment rent, food, electricity, etc). The campus itself is pretty in the daytime. The neighborhood is definitely not the best - as a senior, I am still not comfortable walking more than 2 blocks in a well lit area of campus at night. Marquette says they have one of the best student safety programs in the country, but I feel there could be more that they should do to protect their students.

Marquette had a pretty standard application (general information, activites involved in during highschool, and essay). I did not do early decision so I don't know much about this process. I also think we could have used the common application, but I did not. There were a few (very selective) scholarships that we could apply for, but every applicant was considered for the Ignatius Scholarship (amounts from $0-60,000 to be given over the 4 years). Financial aid depended entirely on FAFSA. Overall, not many opportunities to receive money to attend Marquette, a very expensive school.

All.

Great.

Unique application process.

Being a Jesuit University they require that we take theology courses. Even though I understand that it is a Jesuit University I think that taking the Theology courses is a personal waste of my money. Since Theology is based upon a belief of God and a study of Catholicism I don't think its fair to make students who don't believe in something so personal to take a class such as that. It is not a skill such as Philosophy or Biology or History that could be used in day to day life and makes our understanding of life more complete. Besides that our General Ed courses are just about the same as most other courses and there is a strong emphasis upon students taking philosophy GEs at Marquette. Being a Policial Science major I can attest that the political science professors here are fantastic. They have come from schools such as Syracuse, Yale, University of Chicago and they are always extremely helpful and intelligent.

I would say that the overall quality of life at my school is a 4.5 or somewhere in that grey area. The housing on campus is very expensive and the housing is not nice. There are two "nice" dorms on campus and the ones that are less desirable. The food is decent but than again it is a college and they are notorious for having subpar food options. Marquette does provide a lot of on campus activities and does encourage the student body to go. The libraries on campus are stunning and probably my favorite thing about the school. The facilities are nice and they are currently building a new engineering building on campus. The neighborhood around Marquette is not bad yet a lot of people make a big deal about it. Coming from the inner-city of Los Angeles and not being a small town I am used to seeing these things and pity the local representatives because Marquette has been performing a sort of gentrification by the continuing to expand its territory and jacking up rent. I would say that im happy at Marquette but mostly from my small group of friends. The larger populace at Marquette can be very saddening due to their lack of respect for education and being able to take what they learn out into the real world. Most of the students don't push themselves and study for just the grade; which is sad because Marquette has fantastic professors at the students disposal.

Everything was done on the Common Application but they also required a supplemental essay.

Strong core for entire university. good class sizes, accessible professors. grading and notable faculty could use improvement. workload is strong and study abroad opportunities are good and growing

Housing needs improvements.

cost is decent.

dining is horrible.

crime and safety is good for the neighborhood.

weather stinks

essays, test scores, only regular decision. optional interview

core classes, major degree requirements. accessible advisors, and professors.

application