The general requirements have students taking classes in a variety of different disciplines. There are requirements for Humanities, Social Sciences, Natural Science/Math, and Fine Arts. There are also requirements like US Multiculturalism, Writing, Internationalism, and Quantitative Thinking. For each major there's usually about 8-12 classes, sometimes this requires courses in other departments. Class sizes very rarely exceed 35 for a lecture and 15 for a seminar style class. Competitiveness isn't really an issue here, everyone is smart and everyone has their own goals. There's definitely a drive to succeed, but we aren't constantly comparing ourselves to our classmates or competing for the affection of professors. Since classes are so small, you have a close bond with professors, and your course varies wildly depending on which professor is teaching your section. The workload depends on your area of study, but I know that I have a heavier workload than most of my friends at state schools or less competitive (admission-wise) private schools. As for studying abroad, you can really pick anywhere in the world and the school will try to find a way to get you there. Because of the school's size, all of the campus resources can be really helpful because you get to know staff and they want to get involved to help you get where you want to go. Grading heavily depends on the professor, some choose to make their classes pass/fail, some will give you seemingly arbitrary grades, some never give higher than a B, some are really generous and some are really fair while others are stingier with points.

Housing is probably a little above average. The campus is extremely safe, the cafeteria really high quality, the immediate neighborhood is a little boring, a rather posh residential area. Access to downtown is very easy to use and students use public transit often.

I applied regular decision using the Common App. There was a supplement that included essay questions, one of which was the standard "Why [insert school here]" the other, I don't remember. I found out about my admission status a week or two before I received the financial aid package. I signed up for the Sampler for Admitted students, was very happy with my financial aid package (principally need-based aid) and after attending the sampler, I made my decision.

There are a number of Gen. Eds that include Multiculturalism, Internationalism, and a language requirement. Classes are normally small and there are lots of resources outside of class to help you. The professors are very helpful and flexible. Most students study abroad. Macalester is challenging, but worth it.

The campus is awesome! It's small, but comfortable. The dorms are nice enough and Cafe Mac is great. The area is nice too, great for long walks or bike rides, and you can always catch the bus into downtown Saint Paul or Minneapolis. This is a very friendly safe campus.

common app and personal essay as well as specific short essays. Fafsa, and profile.

General requirements include 8 credits in social sciences, 8 credits in hard sciences, 16 humanities credits - 4 of which must be in art, an international diversity requirement, a domestic diversity requirement, a writing requirement, First Year Course, and foreign language requirement of at least 4 semesters. My major requires a minimum of 14 course with at least 9 taken above the 200-level, but every department is distinct. Class size is very small, with an average of 17 and student-faculty ratio stands at 11-1, making professors easily accessible outside of class. The school prides itself on its multicultural/international focus and its plentitude of study abroad programs - which are encourage in every department. Because Macalester is located in a major metropolitan area, there are lots of research, internship, and volunteer opportunities in the Twin Cities. Additionally, it is common in almost all department to have classes that require service learning components as part of the curriculum.

Housing is decent on campus and all students are required to live on campus their first 2 years at Mac. Living on campus creates a safe haven and makes getting to know people a lot easier, as well as staying involved with events on campus. The dining facility (of which there is one for the entire school) is the required dining option for all students living on campus and offers a wide range of options. Macalester's "Cafe Mac" is definitely one of the highlights of living on campus.

In addition to regular admission, Macalester offers the early decision as well. There is only one supplemental essay to the common application that asks the applicant to explain why they wish to attend Macalester College specifically and what they feel they would bring to the community. Macalester is known for its generous financial aid packages and many students have cited the amount of aid that Macalester gives as one of the school's best selling points. No athletic scholarships are available but there are few merit-based scholarhips. The college has become need-aware in the last few years but guarantees to meet 100% demonstrated need for all accepted students.