“Lehigh Undergraduate”
November 2017FORMER STUDENT

Intelligent colleagues, extremely fun environment, work hard play hard mentality.

Strong fraternity and sorority culture can be a bit exclusive, but if you join it's one of the best experiences you'll have.

Comments

Utilize all of the resources that Lehigh provides. There is a strong alumni network in the tri-state area that a savvy undergraduate can leverage to his/her advantage.

My experiences are with the College of Business and Economics, but the core requirements concept also applies to the College of Engineering and Applied Sciences, and the College of Arts and Science as well. There are several, introduction-level classes in the various fields of business that all CBE students must take, as well as a distribution requirement for various numbers of credits across humanities, social sciences, natural sciences, globalization/diversity, and more.

Advising- each student is assigned an adviser within their college upon admission, and once a major is declared, is re-assigned to a new adviser within that discipline. Each student is required to meet with their adviser each semester prior to course registration to review their short-term and long-term course of study plans.

Average class size is between 25-30 students, with 80% of classes being within that range or smaller. In the event that a class size is larger than that range, it is typically a more entry-level, introductory course, and recitation and teacher's assistants are available. All new material is always taught by the professor, and 99% of Lehigh's full-time professors hold their PhD, or whatever the highest terminal degree in their field is. All professors are required to hold at least 4 office hours per week, and many hold them at later hours when they know students are often working/studying for exams.

Study abroad is growing at Lehigh- currently about 25-30% of students go abroad during their four years. There are 3-week winter sessions, 6-week summer sessions, as well as semester and year-long programs. They can be language intensive or not, and student's can seek programs that offer home-stay, foreign-university enrollment, or American-satellite campuses.

On-campus housing is required for the first two years of the student's time at Lehigh. First-year students are randomly assigned to all-freshman residence halls, and starting sophomore year, can enter the lottery for 3 different apartment complexes, special-interest housing, and freshman-style residence halls. Greek organizations are mostly primarily on-campus living options as well.

There are two primary libraries on campus, one of which has a more open-aired atmosphere, while the other has hundreds of individual study cubicles and group rooms. There are 2 cafeteria style dining halls, each with hot/cold entrees, salad bar, desserts, quick-bites and more. There is also a take-out cafeteria that has food stands from Asian, sushi, salad, Mexican-fiesta, Italian and American-burgers.

Lehigh University uses the common application, as well as a supplemental application with additional short answer and essay questions. There is both regular and early decision options, and students are encouraged to visit the campus for information sessions and student-led tours. There are financial aid packages for both need- and merit-bases, and overall, most students are content with the packages they receive upon acceptance.

Across all the schools, the only requirements that are consistent are English I and II. From there, core classes vary depending upon the school in which the student is enrolled. All students are assigned an academic adviser during first-year orientation. This adviser is trained to help students pick a major. Once they have declared, students get assigned a different adviser within their department. Class sizes can vary as well, with introductory classes being upwards of 150 students. But, as the student delves further into their major, class sizes drop drastically. Study abroad is a feasible option for students, with roughly a third of all students studying abroad before graduation. Programs include semester-long, year-long and summer and winter breaks. Lehigh has many notable faculty members including a former astronaut and a land-speed record holder.

The campus is beautiful in all seasons! Housing is required the first 2 years as a student and not required and not guaranteed after that. Most upperclassmen that request housing will receive it. About a third of all students participate in Greek life, which is a residential option. Generally, students have massive school spirit and are happy at Lehigh. Lehigh just built STEPS which is a green, environmentally-friendly building.

Common application with a Lehigh supplement. General questions on the common application, with more unique questions on the supplement. The majority of the aid given to students is financially-based, as opposed to very little academically-based aid. Early decision I and II are options for students, as well as regular decision.

Small personalized classes... not overly competitive, still a helpful environment. A Reasonable but challenging workload.

Loved it, and now I miss it.

It was comprehensive and complete and I feel like I was judged on the whole rather than individual components of my application.

Lehigh participates in the Common Application but does require a supplemental essay. Interviews are not required, but can be beneficial to gaining more insight about the school from a student. There are many scholarships that you are automatically considered for upon acceptance to the university, including full-tuition, half-tuition, and $15,000/year. The financial aid office does its best to try to work with students and more than half of the student body does receive some type of aid. Lehigh is unique in that a large percentage of its incoming class has usually applied and been accepted via Early Decision I or Early Decision II.

Core classes prepare students to be well rounded and versatile in the workplace. Business core is especially useful for accounting. Degree requirements and workload is strenuous, but manageable. Professors are very friendly, and the experts/industry professionals who teach are great.

Good work / social balance. Everyone is very active and involved. Most people are not only great students who work hard, but they also are involved in music, sports, greek life, etc... Busy people

Early decision 1 & 2. Application has unique essays and interviews are offered but not required.

The academics at Lehigh are very rigorous and they really challenge students to the limits of their abilities. Their programs teach you to look at your subject matter in a different light and really allow you to use it in every day situations. Our academics also allow students the opportunity to learn outside of the classroom. In our Bios 222 program (3 credits), students take a class at St. Lukes Hospital in Bethlehem and get to experience the rotations of a doctor or Physician Assistant. n

Life at Lehigh is fun and exciting. There is always something going on and there are always friends around you to hang out with. The cost of living is not very high and there are more amazing restaurants than I can count. My favorite thing about Lehigh is how friendly and happy everyone are.

Our admissions process really looks at each applicant as a whole. I find that there is not one distinct thing that determines whether or not a person gets accepted. I have found that the essay portion really allows students to get creative and show their writing skills. We are also unique in that we have early decision 1 and 2.

The majority of students live on campus through their junior year. Most seniors live off campus but all houses are within two blocks of campus.

GREAT flexibility at Lehigh, with the ability to minor in pretty much anything! As well as combining many different majors to create the program you want...

everything from Music and Theater to Physics and Chemical Engineering to Psychology and English to Finance and Accounting

the Accounting Department was ranked #1 in the country two years ago... and has incredible job placement!

great on and off campus housing (very near campus)

great student activities as well as active Greek Life

lots of student groups

lots of trips sponsored to UN and Broadway, as well as amusement parks, malls, etc

too long ago, don't remember

Core classes most completed freshman year. In the business school there was an intense series of courses you had to take prior to focusing on your major. My senior year they developed the "track system" where you had a major with a "track" so you could almost get a minor in another field which was extremely beneficial. The workload was rigorous but teachers were always around for assistance etc.

I was in new complex which was great. Senior year i lived off campus but in extremely close proximity to the school.

Short answer questions with personal statement. Interview as well. I applied early decision and was accepted at that point. Financial aid and scholorarhip opportunities came after and the admissions and financial aid office was wonderful to work with and made it possible for me to attend.

2006