Liberal arts education, small class size, profs always available, lots of extra curricular, able to study abroad

Common app

2007

Small class sizes (with the exception of the introductory science courses), excellent professors that are very accessible and always willing to help students, and a variety of research opportunities available.

Common Application and supplemental

2007

The FISHN requirements (Fine Arts, International, Social Science, Humanities and Natural Science) requirements are worth it. Class size is small enough to be recognized as an individual but large enough that we can share ideas and have good discussion. The workload is tough, but necessary. What you put in is what you get out.

The housing and cost of living is decent. When you're a student, it doesn't seem enough but now that I've been out, I loved it! The facilities are fantastic and the campus is beautiful. The neighborhood is safe; however community relations could be improved. I'm confident that the Community service Office is producing positive relationships, though.

To be honest, I don't remember it very well since it was about 7 years ago, but I will say that they have excellent merit-based scholarships which require a unique application and essay. They're known as the Nomination Scholarships and they're definitely worth it.

2009

At Juniata, there is a program in place called FISHN-Q; these are courses that are mandatory for graduation aside from the courses that are required for your degree of study.

FISHN-Q

F - Finance

I - International

S - Social Science

H - Humanities

N - Natural Science

Q - Quantitative Studies

When I attended Juniata, housing was guaranteed for all 4 years. It was great knowing that we had that opportunity. I lived on campus for 3 years and then got a house with friends off campus for my senior year. Cost of living was reasonable and not overly expensive. I maintained a meal plean all 4 years. Our facilities were very accommodating and always available for group meetings, study sessions, etc. The crime level seemed non-existant while I was there and I always felt safe on campus.

I had a great experience with the admissions office. They kept in contact with me through my application process and truly made me feel like Juniata was the place for me. I used the Common App and applied Early Action to Juniata College. They also worked with me on scholarship opportunities that I may not have found on my own.

2008

Challenging classes but small number of students and very helpful faculty leads to an excellent education.

Small community both in the town of the college and within the college itself.

2009

Amazing study abroad opportunities

The general requirements are called FISHN and are very easy to accomplish rather earlier in your college years

My major requirements were easily accessible to me as well the freedom of the POE system which allowed me to take many different classes to make my major truly mine.

Class size is around 20 as an average, some are smaller, some are larger (usually around 75 I would estimate but I never had a class larger than 30.)

Professors are VERY available at all times. Great advantage for students

The academic advising system of having two advisers is a great idea. It really does help and keeps you grounded as well as well-rounded.

I loved every about Juniata. I always felt safe no matter where I was at any time, alone or with people.

The campus is smaller and easily accessible which is also nice in the winter months of Pennsylvania when you don't want to be out in the cold for very long.

The dorms are nice as well. No major complaints, my biggest issue was adjusting to sharing a bathroom when I never had before. But that's a challenge for nearly everyone.

I loved the community relations. We really are involved with the town & I enjoyed that.

We participate in the Common Application now but we did not when I applied to Juniata. I applied on paper with a fee waiver from attending an open house, wrote an admissions essay & had an interview at the college after a personal tour.

General requirements are based on a liberal arts education, but the classes are extremely helpfully for students who may not be sure what they want to do for a major. At the beginning of the year the students are assigned an academic advisor based on their intended major or area of interest, then during the second semester they may choose another professor as their secondary advisor, usually for their minor choice. Grading is based on a ten-point scale, and can be based both on assignments as well as class participation during lectures. Study abroad opportunities are available in both English speaking and the country's native language.

Everything was pretty much awesome. The grounds are beautiful, the people are really friendly, and everything is easily accessible. Sure there wasn't a mall near by, but I'm in a rural area after all.

The school offered either submission of the common application, or a school-based application both online for free, or a paper application for a small fee. The school is also test optional and does not require SAT or ACT submissions, but does recommend an interview and an essay submission. The school offers both early decision and early action, one of which is binding. Also, the application IS a scholarship form in it's own sense.

Requirements in 5 different areas of study, great class selection, extremely accessible and friendly faculty, many research opportunities, fantastic academic advising, accessible and helpful registrar's office, small class sizes conducive to a great learning environment, multitude of study abroad opportunities, reasonable workload, many notable faculty

On and off campus housing available, great community, very safe, clean campus, great library, EXTREMELY happy living here

Regular decision, scholarship received, common application used

The academics at Juniata included classes required for your Program of Emphasis, as well as general education courses that fell under fine arts, international, social sciences, humanities, and natural sciences. Along with these requirements were two cultural analysis courses and a first-year writing/experience seminar. You were advised by two faculty members of your choosing; however, one had to be a faculty member in your program of study. Class sizes were always small-- in my experience, it has been anywhere from a class of six to 40, at most. The professors were always available to discuss academics and career opportunities, as well as in social capacities. Juniata is a school of high achievers; however, I often felt like I was competing against myself than other people in my program. Professors were strict graders and were relatively traditional when it came to academic philosophies. The workload was very heavy at times - always manageable with an adequate supply of coffee and MTOs.

I was a Resident Assistant at Juniata. Therefore, housing was free. I loved living and working on campus and wouldn't have done it any other way. Campus is so centralized that it was helpful to be on campus and walk/bike to all of my classes and to the cafeteria. I felt the facilities were either brand new and beautiful, or old with a lot of comfort and character. I always felt safe and welcome on campus, no matter where I was - even in the surrounding community.

2007

FISHN- Fine Arts, International Studies, Sciences, Human Studies, Natural Studies.. I think. They were are core requirements.

Housing is comfortable. Campus is beautiful. The town of Huntingdon is small and safe. The cost of living is extremely affordable.

Offers early action which I took full advantage of. Juniata was the only school I applied to.