Required to take multiple classes in fine arts, international, social sciences, humanities, natural science, writing, cultural seminar, and interdisciplinary colloquium, in addition to your degree credits. Academic advising was personal, frequent, and highly valued. Class sizes were medium to small. Professors were extremely accessible. Plenty of research opportunities. Medium competitiveness. Grading was generally medium to hard. Amazing and inspirational faculty (many/most of whom you got to know personally). Huge study abroad opportunities. Workload was difficult, but depends on major.

Housing is good, especially as a senior. There could be better off-campus opportunities for underclassman and juniors. Campus is small and friendly, easily accessible, and feels like home. You feel part of a community rather than just a number in a huge city (I've experienced both, I went to a large school after Juniata). Neighborhood is quiet and very safe. There is little to no crime. Overall, life at Juniata is outstanding.

2008

Being a liberal arts school, you must take several core classes in several fields. The options are generally pretty open so you can find something you're actually interested in. The faculty are genuinely passionate about the subject they're teaching. They work hard to make sure you succeed. The workload can be overwhelming at times but there are plenty of campus options like study groups, the writing lab, etc to help you keep it under control. There is a large about of reading for most classes which forces you acquire better time management skills.

Like in any school, there are better, newer buildings than some. The college tries to keep buildings and housing up to the best of their ability. The staff at JC is amazing and extremely friendly, it is not uncommon to become friends with your dorm's custodian. Huntingdon leaves something to be desired but the college is trying it's best to help to revitalize the town especially through their entrepreneurship and business programs. The town is extremely safe, I never once felt unsure walking down the street at night. There is not a lot to do in the actual town but people end up taking weekend trips to State College or Altoona or just simply going to Raystown Lake with your friends. It makes your appreciate the little things.

Scholarship opportunities are vast & extremely worth the time. Since it's going on 6 years since applying, I do not recollect anything especially unique about the application process, however I found a campus visit and interview extremely useful.

2009

Very vigorous science classes, but professors know your name, are more then willing to help, and provide small class sizes for upper level courses. We are never taught by Teaching Assistants, teaching assistants help with lab but never run the lab or teach course material in place of an instructor.

In my 4 years I never had a single class where the instructor didn't know my name. I am still in contact with multiple faculty (4 years after graduation) and even had one at my small wedding.

Great sense of community and respect. Almost no crime (and that is with leaving backpacks, purses, and coats unlocked in the hallway leading to the dining hall). I had left my graphing calculator in the computer lab over night once and next day it was still there; once I forgot to take my laundry out the dryer (which we leave unattended no one at Juniata is stealing your clothes from the dryer) and when I came back a person had folded all of my clothes; Senior year I had unknowingly lost a necklace--it had apparently got put into the laundry--and a person emailed the whole building about finding the necklace and returned it to me (I had not even know it was lost yet!); I studied abroad and for a whole year prior to leaving the professor in charge of the course (Neil Pelkey) cooked us homemade indian food once a week and gave us cultural and language lessons (all optional) and prepared us for the trip.

2007

very well rounded, required to take all types of classes not just sciences (which were my major), I was able to do an undergraduate research/thesis which prepared me very well for graduate school.

great

written application including essay . . . it was a long time ago.

2007

Juniata has a lot of general requirements and required courses, which sometimes can be confusing as to whether you've met the requirements, but as long as you stay on top of them and are thinking about them as you're scheduling classes you'll be fine. The POE (Program of Emphasis) program is great in that you can choose to follow a pre-determined track or you can essentially create your own major (POE). Class sizes are small.

The dorms aren't too bad. Some are better than others, but compared to some other schools, the rooms are nicer and bigger. The cost of living is next to nothing if you have a meal plan and live on campus, but room and board is outrageous compared to living off campus and the food is sub-par. There's virtually no crime on campus. The Huntingdon community overall views Juniata students as "the trust fund kids on the hill."

Common Application with a required essay or two. Can apply early decision or regular decision. Can schedule an interview, but not required.

Small class sizes, great faculty accessibility, many study abroad and research opportunities

Only set back is that it's in a really small town, but there is still a lot to do on campus

Excellent science program, especially for pre-professional schools (MD/DO/PhD), lots of student-faculty research opportunities in all departments, supportive and group effort atmosphere, student:faculty ratio of approx. 11:1 with average class of 15, very accessible faculty through office hours, email, phone. Fair grading practices throughout the school. Excellent study abroad opportunities,

Majority of housing is on-campus (dorms) or campus-owned (houses). Cost of living is low and most things are covered in room/board. Facilities are very well-maintained and maintenance personnel are quick to respond to reported problems. Library is helpful and always looking for ways to help students or facilitate their needs in terms of resources and space. Plenty of options at each meal time in the main dining hall, several other places to get food on and off campus nearby. Good town-college relations and consistently growing due to new students in the community. College is aware of crime in the area, but most of it is far from campus. Campus police is very responsive to any report/alert. I cannot speak for everyone, but I know I feel happier when I return to campus as an alumnus.

Common application, early decision and early action options, excellent financial aid packages tailored to each student, thorough interview and campus visits.

2008

There are a lot of liberal arts requirements, we call them FISHN credits which stands fro fine arts, international, social science,humanities, and natural science, so every student, regardless of POE takes classes in all subject areas. There are also a list of core classes that you mist complete in your POE. The workload can be demanding at times but it is well worth it in the end. There are a lot of different POEs and you even have the option to write your own! The professors here are fantastic and they go out of their way to help you succeed. There are also a lot of employment opportunities on campus. There are a lot of research opportunities on campus that pair you with a professor to complete a research project and there are so many study abroad opportunities you won't know where you want to go!

Juniata is in a very safe town and there is very little crime on campus, I have never had a problem with it. The campus is beautiful and the academic buildings are great. The dorms are relatively nice and they are clean when you move in.

You apply by filling out the common application and you have the general essay that all colleges ask you to submit as well. I applied early decision so I knew within a month of applying that I had been accepted.

As a liberal arts school Juniata requires a core load of classes for a particular major. But students must also complete courses in math, science, and art to graduate.

Juniata is in a safe rural area. It has a great campus with well furnished facilities. the library is fantastic.

The application questions include academic achievements, work ethics and future plans. Juniata has several scholarship opportunities.

2008

Being a liberal arts college, Juniata does a great job of making sure each student gets a complete education. Although I was an environmental science student, some of the classes I most enjoyed were in history taught by Dr. Dave Hsuing. Of course, the classes I took in my field were enriching and lots of fun for the most part. I even had the opportunity to spend a semester at a newly constructed field station situated on a lake near campus. I did this in lieu of going abroad, although there are myriad opportunities to do such, and the majority of students to spend at least one semester abroad.

The faculty members always had their doors open for students to come ask questions or seek advice. They did a fantastic job of creating a classroom environment that was very challenging, yet engaging. It is a great place to learn.

The school is located in a wonderful small town in a rural area. There is enough to do, but not enough to be constantly distracted. Moreover, the outdoor activity opportunities are phenomenal: hiking, biking, canoeing, kayaking, camping, skiing, etc. Being in a small town makes campus feel very safe, and the off campus housing quite affordable. The amenities on campus are great for the size of the school. There are four different areas where students can get meals. There is a large rec center with basketball courts, racquetball courts, a pool, and a fitness center. And the library has three convenient floors, one for group meetings, one for casual research and studying, and another for silent study. There are always some people who just never seem to be happy, but overall I think the majority of students are very happy there.

I had to write an essay and complete Juniata's application. I don't think they used the Common Application, although they may now. They are very generous with financial aid and scholarships; my good grades in high school earned me a scholarship for $12000/year.