A freshman writing course was required, as well as several CA (cultural analysis) courses. The academics at Juniata are very interdisciplinary, and they encourage you to create your own major, even if your interests are broad.

Most students live on campus for the first three years, and move off campus for the fourth. Huntingdon is a bit bleak in terms of being a college town (most places close by 5 pm) but the students at Juniata are quite skilled at creating their own fun.

I don't remember very well, but I believe there was an application followed by an interview.

2008

On top of the requirements for their major, everyone must take a writing course, IT course and six credits in each of five different fields (fine arts, international, social science, humanities and natural science). Although these additional requirements seemed to be a burden on my schedule, they provided unique opportunities to explore different fields and meet interesting faculty.

The entire campus is like a big community - most people were very trusting.

If you have enough money, nothing else matters. This was an unfortunate truth in the admissions process.

2009

The requirements can be hard to figure out but you have two advisors who are always accessible and all faculty is willing to assist any student with scheduling or career advice. Faculty is very engaged with the students and is definitely more focused on teaching than research although research does still occur. There is a large push for study abroad.

Housing is old and the dining is not the best. However, campus is extremely safe and the staff is always striving to improve.

interview not required, standard application and question, lots of financial aid opportunities

2009

I picked Juniata because it offered the opportunity to design your own major. I designed a major in Informal Science Education, which is a field that most do not get to pursue until graduate school. This flexibility to customize your education is a great opportunity.

Each student selects two advisors, who provide excellent guidance and are always accessible. The faculty (and the rest of the staff) truly care about students. I always felt that I could drop in office hours just to chat, and even went on picnics with my advisor's family. I still keep in touch with several of my professors.

While I did not take advantage of study abroad opportunities, many (maybe even most) of my classmates did. Research opportunities are everywhere, and it's very easy to get involved. Professors love to have students help with their research, of course, but they also encourage students to pursue their own interests.

My biggest class was an Intro Biology, which had almost 100 students. However, it was split into weekly discussion groups of less than 20. I expected a senior to lead the class, and was shocked to learn that it would be taught by the professor! Within a week, he knew us all by name. Other than that, I never had a class of more than 30 (and again, professors knew us all by name).

Housing is decent, but not great. The library is okay, but the online resources are far superior. The grounds are nice. Some academic buildings are nice, others not so much. The community is very safe, but also pretty dull. There is not a lot going on off-campus, except for some outdoor activities. That said, student groups do try to have events and activities regularly. Of course, students will find ways to entertain themselves. For the most part, students seemed pretty happy.

I applied as a transfer student, and it was a pretty standard admissions process. I got decent financial aid, but I know many other students that got excellent packages or even full scholarships; so on the whole, financial aid is a big plus for the school. I found the admissions staff very personable and helpful - they got to know me, always responded promptly, and tracked down answers to even my most obscure questions. (That level of personal attention is true of every department at Juniata.)

2009

We had to take a certain number of credits in our major- I believe it varied depending on your degree - then also an extra amount of credits that included science, arts, language, etc since it was a liberal arts school. Academic advising was very personal as our professors were our advisors. We had the chance to choose our advisors in our second semester of first year. I enjoyed the small class sizes at Juniata because it provided more personal attention and less distractions in the classroom. Our professors were great at responding to questions and meeting in person. They were very helpful and took a sincere interest in the student's life. I personally participated in study abroad opportunities. My major was required to have study abroad experiences but I would have done that anyway. I think all majors should require at least a summer abroad at Juniata. I think our study abroad program has been improving over the years.

Cost of living in Huntingdon, PA was typical of Pennsylvania. It was not very expensive at all. Huntingdon, PA is a small town so it was quaint. Living on campus was actually very enjoyable for me. I really liked the dorms I lived in and the history behind them. I feel Juniata had a good community feel and worked well with the town, as well. There was not much crime and overall I felt very safe there. I did appreciate the dorms finally receiving locks as a precaution. The main complaint I would have is about the food at Baker (but it's college food, so what can we expect?) and the lack of accessibility for the dorms and main campus buildings.

The Admissions process was standard at Juniata. I could have chosen early decision, but I personally did not. I did receive help with financial aid and scholarships.

With being an education major, my professors were always available to meeting in and out of class. They were always there to give advice and assistance. Through Juniata College, I had the opportunity to apply for a Fulbright Scholarship. I was granted a scholarship opportunity in Turkey, but turned it down to accept a full-time teaching opportunity.

Common application and many academic scholarship opportunities.

Juniata epitomizes the liberal arts education with flexible programs of emphasis that allow students to study in more than one field/discipline. Class sizes are small and with the accessibility of faculty, one cannot get a better education.

2008

I found most classes generally not that difficult, but I did not feel very motivated or encouraged by many professors which made it difficult to want to do well. I felt like they didn't care about the class. This however was not every class. In other subjects that were core, the professors were more motivated and helpful.

The price is a little high, but the dorms are nice, food is good and the neighborhood is safe. The people in Huntingdon are very friendly and the facilities available to students both on campus and off are great. It's a beautiful location with lots of natural wonder.

Most professors are great and class sizes are small and personal. However, academic advising is disorganized and poor.

Horrible food. Nothing to do in the town.

Common Application, Decent financial aid to transfers

many essays, to much questions, I almost dropped out by looking at the essays asked.