Liberal arts education, small class size, profs always available, lots of extra curricular, able to study abroad

Common app

2007

The FISHN requirements (Fine Arts, International, Social Science, Humanities and Natural Science) requirements are worth it. Class size is small enough to be recognized as an individual but large enough that we can share ideas and have good discussion. The workload is tough, but necessary. What you put in is what you get out.

The housing and cost of living is decent. When you're a student, it doesn't seem enough but now that I've been out, I loved it! The facilities are fantastic and the campus is beautiful. The neighborhood is safe; however community relations could be improved. I'm confident that the Community service Office is producing positive relationships, though.

To be honest, I don't remember it very well since it was about 7 years ago, but I will say that they have excellent merit-based scholarships which require a unique application and essay. They're known as the Nomination Scholarships and they're definitely worth it.

2009

Small class sizes (with the exception of the introductory science courses), excellent professors that are very accessible and always willing to help students, and a variety of research opportunities available.

Common Application and supplemental

2007

Juniata required you to take 6 credits from the 'FISHN' subjects (fine arts, international, social science, humanaties, natural science). It forced you outside of your major and to explore other classes. The class sizes and quantity of intereaction with profressors was part of what led me to Juniata. The majority of them will do all they can to help you succeed. Even if it means having a study/review class the Sunday before an exam or encouraging you to call them at home if you have questions.

Juniata has an excellent student life. There were always activities that you could get involved with either on campus or in connection with the community. I had a relatively safe feeling at Juniata. The majority of the campus is well lit at night (some areas are rather dark though).

I applied for early decision so that I new early in the year that I was accepted. Even though Juniata College is an expensive school in comparison to state schools, there are a lot of academic scholarships available.

2009

The general, freshmen requirements include an Information Access (computer skills) workshop, as well as a College Writing Seminar course. While each of these are tedious in their own way, they are not over-whelming or unbearable and, in any case, only last for a semester of your first year. The remainder of the courses are extremely tailored to the students' interests and help each unique individual explore their academic world to the fullest potential. The professors are always willing and eager to meet with students and are almost always available, as they are very good at keeping to their scheduled office hours. Grading is a fair scale and infinite opportunities to study abroad, research, and acquire internships are available to students.

The thing that I most love about Juniata is the life. Everyone on campus is friendly and welcoming, we are just one big, happy family slmost all of the time! The facilities crew keep every locaiton on campus as "spic-and-span" as humanly possible, making the housing and campus a lovely place to live. The community, being small, is extremely involved with the students and this simply adds to the personability that is practically tangilble on campus!

The application for Juniata College is no different from others, the Common Application is permitted, and interviews with the campus Administration Counselors are highly recommended during your visits. One of the most strikingly personable aspects of the admission process is the vast amount of financial aid and scholarhip opportunities that the college offers to its students - Juniata really wants to give students the opportunity to continue there education. The "Early Action" option for admissions allows students to express their interest in the school without being contracted into committing if they are accepted.

Core classes covered what was needed for professional school, EXCEPT general chemistry. Advisers are amazing. A lot of one on one time. Class sizes were small, and professors are always around to answer questions. Open door policy for almost every professor. Research opportunities for undergrads are actually recommended and are very well organized.

Housing is average. Cost of living on campus is a little high, but fits the norm of other colleges. Campus facilities are good. Wish the gym was a little bigger. Library nice. Dining good, and dining staff are amazing! Community works well with students if students aren't disrespecting the community! Crime was very low and I never felt unsafe. I wouldn't have gone anywhere else but Juniata.

Don't really remember!

2008

Small class sizes, great faculty accessibility, many study abroad and research opportunities

Only set back is that it's in a really small town, but there is still a lot to do on campus

Excellent science program, especially for pre-professional schools (MD/DO/PhD), lots of student-faculty research opportunities in all departments, supportive and group effort atmosphere, student:faculty ratio of approx. 11:1 with average class of 15, very accessible faculty through office hours, email, phone. Fair grading practices throughout the school. Excellent study abroad opportunities,

Majority of housing is on-campus (dorms) or campus-owned (houses). Cost of living is low and most things are covered in room/board. Facilities are very well-maintained and maintenance personnel are quick to respond to reported problems. Library is helpful and always looking for ways to help students or facilitate their needs in terms of resources and space. Plenty of options at each meal time in the main dining hall, several other places to get food on and off campus nearby. Good town-college relations and consistently growing due to new students in the community. College is aware of crime in the area, but most of it is far from campus. Campus police is very responsive to any report/alert. I cannot speak for everyone, but I know I feel happier when I return to campus as an alumnus.

Common application, early decision and early action options, excellent financial aid packages tailored to each student, thorough interview and campus visits.

2008

I don't recall.

2007

I did early decision. It was a smooth process, and I had no trouble. The admissions staff was always willing to help with questions along the way. They were wonderful.