Small class sizes (with the exception of the introductory science courses), excellent professors that are very accessible and always willing to help students, and a variety of research opportunities available.

Common Application and supplemental

2007

The FISHN requirements (Fine Arts, International, Social Science, Humanities and Natural Science) requirements are worth it. Class size is small enough to be recognized as an individual but large enough that we can share ideas and have good discussion. The workload is tough, but necessary. What you put in is what you get out.

The housing and cost of living is decent. When you're a student, it doesn't seem enough but now that I've been out, I loved it! The facilities are fantastic and the campus is beautiful. The neighborhood is safe; however community relations could be improved. I'm confident that the Community service Office is producing positive relationships, though.

To be honest, I don't remember it very well since it was about 7 years ago, but I will say that they have excellent merit-based scholarships which require a unique application and essay. They're known as the Nomination Scholarships and they're definitely worth it.

2009

Liberal arts education, small class size, profs always available, lots of extra curricular, able to study abroad

Common app

2007

At Juniata, there is a program in place called FISHN-Q; these are courses that are mandatory for graduation aside from the courses that are required for your degree of study.

FISHN-Q

F - Finance

I - International

S - Social Science

H - Humanities

N - Natural Science

Q - Quantitative Studies

When I attended Juniata, housing was guaranteed for all 4 years. It was great knowing that we had that opportunity. I lived on campus for 3 years and then got a house with friends off campus for my senior year. Cost of living was reasonable and not overly expensive. I maintained a meal plean all 4 years. Our facilities were very accommodating and always available for group meetings, study sessions, etc. The crime level seemed non-existant while I was there and I always felt safe on campus.

I had a great experience with the admissions office. They kept in contact with me through my application process and truly made me feel like Juniata was the place for me. I used the Common App and applied Early Action to Juniata College. They also worked with me on scholarship opportunities that I may not have found on my own.

I don't recall.

2007

Juniata has a lot of general requirements and required courses, which sometimes can be confusing as to whether you've met the requirements, but as long as you stay on top of them and are thinking about them as you're scheduling classes you'll be fine. The POE (Program of Emphasis) program is great in that you can choose to follow a pre-determined track or you can essentially create your own major (POE). Class sizes are small.

The dorms aren't too bad. Some are better than others, but compared to some other schools, the rooms are nicer and bigger. The cost of living is next to nothing if you have a meal plan and live on campus, but room and board is outrageous compared to living off campus and the food is sub-par. There's virtually no crime on campus. The Huntingdon community overall views Juniata students as "the trust fund kids on the hill."

Common Application with a required essay or two. Can apply early decision or regular decision. Can schedule an interview, but not required.

Very vigorous science classes, but professors know your name, are more then willing to help, and provide small class sizes for upper level courses. We are never taught by Teaching Assistants, teaching assistants help with lab but never run the lab or teach course material in place of an instructor.

In my 4 years I never had a single class where the instructor didn't know my name. I am still in contact with multiple faculty (4 years after graduation) and even had one at my small wedding.

Great sense of community and respect. Almost no crime (and that is with leaving backpacks, purses, and coats unlocked in the hallway leading to the dining hall). I had left my graphing calculator in the computer lab over night once and next day it was still there; once I forgot to take my laundry out the dryer (which we leave unattended no one at Juniata is stealing your clothes from the dryer) and when I came back a person had folded all of my clothes; Senior year I had unknowingly lost a necklace--it had apparently got put into the laundry--and a person emailed the whole building about finding the necklace and returned it to me (I had not even know it was lost yet!); I studied abroad and for a whole year prior to leaving the professor in charge of the course (Neil Pelkey) cooked us homemade indian food once a week and gave us cultural and language lessons (all optional) and prepared us for the trip.

2007

Juniata has core class requirements that really help lay down a wonderful foundation for the specific course of study that a student chooses. Degree requirements are unique to the department but most include the core college requirements and the degree required classes not only incorporate aspects of that certain field, but they also try to incorporate other areas of study as well and show the students how everything relates. Class sizes are awesome as they are not huge and as a senior I only had a few people in my classes. The professors are always available to speak with and greatly encourage students to speak with them and will give out emails, personal cell numbers, and the like to let the students know they are available. Faculty also do a good job of creating a wonderful atmosphere in the classroom that encourages students to think outside the box individually as well as in groups. Since Juniata is undergrad only, undergrads get research opportunities that usually aren't offered until they would be graduate students. That puts Juniata students ahead of the game even before they graduate. Workload is manageable and grading is very fair, teachers also encourage students to seek help if they need it and tutoring and study groups are common place. Study abroad opportunities are awesome and students are greatly encouraged to study abroad. Juniata also makes it easy to do so because most of the programs are direct tuition exchange.

Students are guaranteed housing on-campus all four years of college and there are dorms for every type of lifestyle from an all girls dorm to apartment style living. Many students live off campus their senior year and there are houses to rent in the community. The community is very safe and I never felt unsafe walking back to my house at all hours from campus. The town is small which is also nice so you can walk to campus if you don't have a car.

2008

Required to take multiple classes in fine arts, international, social sciences, humanities, natural science, writing, cultural seminar, and interdisciplinary colloquium, in addition to your degree credits. Academic advising was personal, frequent, and highly valued. Class sizes were medium to small. Professors were extremely accessible. Plenty of research opportunities. Medium competitiveness. Grading was generally medium to hard. Amazing and inspirational faculty (many/most of whom you got to know personally). Huge study abroad opportunities. Workload was difficult, but depends on major.

Housing is good, especially as a senior. There could be better off-campus opportunities for underclassman and juniors. Campus is small and friendly, easily accessible, and feels like home. You feel part of a community rather than just a number in a huge city (I've experienced both, I went to a large school after Juniata). Neighborhood is quiet and very safe. There is little to no crime. Overall, life at Juniata is outstanding.

2008

very well rounded, required to take all types of classes not just sciences (which were my major), I was able to do an undergraduate research/thesis which prepared me very well for graduate school.

great

written application including essay . . . it was a long time ago.