The FISHN requirements (Fine Arts, International, Social Science, Humanities and Natural Science) requirements are worth it. Class size is small enough to be recognized as an individual but large enough that we can share ideas and have good discussion. The workload is tough, but necessary. What you put in is what you get out.

The housing and cost of living is decent. When you're a student, it doesn't seem enough but now that I've been out, I loved it! The facilities are fantastic and the campus is beautiful. The neighborhood is safe; however community relations could be improved. I'm confident that the Community service Office is producing positive relationships, though.

To be honest, I don't remember it very well since it was about 7 years ago, but I will say that they have excellent merit-based scholarships which require a unique application and essay. They're known as the Nomination Scholarships and they're definitely worth it.

2009

Small class sizes (with the exception of the introductory science courses), excellent professors that are very accessible and always willing to help students, and a variety of research opportunities available.

Common Application and supplemental

2007

Liberal arts education, small class size, profs always available, lots of extra curricular, able to study abroad

Common app

2007

Being a liberal arts school, you must take several core classes in several fields. The options are generally pretty open so you can find something you're actually interested in. The faculty are genuinely passionate about the subject they're teaching. They work hard to make sure you succeed. The workload can be overwhelming at times but there are plenty of campus options like study groups, the writing lab, etc to help you keep it under control. There is a large about of reading for most classes which forces you acquire better time management skills.

Like in any school, there are better, newer buildings than some. The college tries to keep buildings and housing up to the best of their ability. The staff at JC is amazing and extremely friendly, it is not uncommon to become friends with your dorm's custodian. Huntingdon leaves something to be desired but the college is trying it's best to help to revitalize the town especially through their entrepreneurship and business programs. The town is extremely safe, I never once felt unsure walking down the street at night. There is not a lot to do in the actual town but people end up taking weekend trips to State College or Altoona or just simply going to Raystown Lake with your friends. It makes your appreciate the little things.

Scholarship opportunities are vast & extremely worth the time. Since it's going on 6 years since applying, I do not recollect anything especially unique about the application process, however I found a campus visit and interview extremely useful.

2009

General requirements are based on a liberal arts education, but the classes are extremely helpfully for students who may not be sure what they want to do for a major. At the beginning of the year the students are assigned an academic advisor based on their intended major or area of interest, then during the second semester they may choose another professor as their secondary advisor, usually for their minor choice. Grading is based on a ten-point scale, and can be based both on assignments as well as class participation during lectures. Study abroad opportunities are available in both English speaking and the country's native language.

Everything was pretty much awesome. The grounds are beautiful, the people are really friendly, and everything is easily accessible. Sure there wasn't a mall near by, but I'm in a rural area after all.

The school offered either submission of the common application, or a school-based application both online for free, or a paper application for a small fee. The school is also test optional and does not require SAT or ACT submissions, but does recommend an interview and an essay submission. The school offers both early decision and early action, one of which is binding. Also, the application IS a scholarship form in it's own sense.

Juniata is a very competitve school and it is a very disipline school. The general requirements as well as degree requirements are tough but managable. The class sizes are perfect size with a maximum of about 40 people. Professors are very accessible and provide you with office hours, and are willing to meet with you at any point in time. There are multiple research as well as internship opportunities available here at Juniata. I will be taking advantage of these opportunites within the next year. Everyone at Juniata is wonderful and some of the best people I have met in my life. They are very knowledgeable of their area of study and show an interest in teaching. Study abroad is an option for any student at Juniata. There are affliates in multiple countries all around the world. The workload is heavy but that is what college is all about, preparing for the future. Juniata develops people into analytical thinkers and does not lighten the workload because they are graduating successful and hardworking people.

Housing at Juniata is very diverse and students are open to many options of living. There are 7 on-campus dorm buildings and off campus housing is an option for upper-classmen. The dorms are large enough and heated. They are a comfortable living size, and you are pretty much aloud to bring anything except open flame items, hot plates, and pets (other than fish). The facilities are top notch and up-to-date. The science center is equipped with the latest items, and the library always keeps up on the latest research data bases. The dining facilities provide many different options of food choices, and the quality is better than most schools. We have organic food options as well. Overall Juniata College and the town, Huntingdon, is a very safe place to live. I feel extremely comfortable living on campus and I do not worry that something is going to happen. I am very happy here and feel as though Juniata is my second home.

Applied with the common application with an enterance essay. Applied early decision/early action and I received all of my financial aid from Juniata College. I recieved one or two scholarships from Juniata.

Small class sizes, great faculty accessibility, many study abroad and research opportunities

Only set back is that it's in a really small town, but there is still a lot to do on campus

The academics at Juniata included classes required for your Program of Emphasis, as well as general education courses that fell under fine arts, international, social sciences, humanities, and natural sciences. Along with these requirements were two cultural analysis courses and a first-year writing/experience seminar. You were advised by two faculty members of your choosing; however, one had to be a faculty member in your program of study. Class sizes were always small-- in my experience, it has been anywhere from a class of six to 40, at most. The professors were always available to discuss academics and career opportunities, as well as in social capacities. Juniata is a school of high achievers; however, I often felt like I was competing against myself than other people in my program. Professors were strict graders and were relatively traditional when it came to academic philosophies. The workload was very heavy at times - always manageable with an adequate supply of coffee and MTOs.

I was a Resident Assistant at Juniata. Therefore, housing was free. I loved living and working on campus and wouldn't have done it any other way. Campus is so centralized that it was helpful to be on campus and walk/bike to all of my classes and to the cafeteria. I felt the facilities were either brand new and beautiful, or old with a lot of comfort and character. I always felt safe and welcome on campus, no matter where I was - even in the surrounding community.

2007

Being a liberal arts college, Juniata does a great job of making sure each student gets a complete education. Although I was an environmental science student, some of the classes I most enjoyed were in history taught by Dr. Dave Hsuing. Of course, the classes I took in my field were enriching and lots of fun for the most part. I even had the opportunity to spend a semester at a newly constructed field station situated on a lake near campus. I did this in lieu of going abroad, although there are myriad opportunities to do such, and the majority of students to spend at least one semester abroad.

The faculty members always had their doors open for students to come ask questions or seek advice. They did a fantastic job of creating a classroom environment that was very challenging, yet engaging. It is a great place to learn.

The school is located in a wonderful small town in a rural area. There is enough to do, but not enough to be constantly distracted. Moreover, the outdoor activity opportunities are phenomenal: hiking, biking, canoeing, kayaking, camping, skiing, etc. Being in a small town makes campus feel very safe, and the off campus housing quite affordable. The amenities on campus are great for the size of the school. There are four different areas where students can get meals. There is a large rec center with basketball courts, racquetball courts, a pool, and a fitness center. And the library has three convenient floors, one for group meetings, one for casual research and studying, and another for silent study. There are always some people who just never seem to be happy, but overall I think the majority of students are very happy there.

I had to write an essay and complete Juniata's application. I don't think they used the Common Application, although they may now. They are very generous with financial aid and scholarships; my good grades in high school earned me a scholarship for $12000/year.

2008

Most courses can count both towards the school's graduation requirements and for the major degree requirements as well.

I felt that overall living on campus for all four years was a great decision.

I applied with SAT optional. I did not send my school SAT scores. I only sent them an essay and poem I wrote in high school.