Liberal arts education, small class size, profs always available, lots of extra curricular, able to study abroad

Common app

2007

Small class sizes (with the exception of the introductory science courses), excellent professors that are very accessible and always willing to help students, and a variety of research opportunities available.

Common Application and supplemental

2007

The FISHN requirements (Fine Arts, International, Social Science, Humanities and Natural Science) requirements are worth it. Class size is small enough to be recognized as an individual but large enough that we can share ideas and have good discussion. The workload is tough, but necessary. What you put in is what you get out.

The housing and cost of living is decent. When you're a student, it doesn't seem enough but now that I've been out, I loved it! The facilities are fantastic and the campus is beautiful. The neighborhood is safe; however community relations could be improved. I'm confident that the Community service Office is producing positive relationships, though.

To be honest, I don't remember it very well since it was about 7 years ago, but I will say that they have excellent merit-based scholarships which require a unique application and essay. They're known as the Nomination Scholarships and they're definitely worth it.

2009

The general, freshmen requirements include an Information Access (computer skills) workshop, as well as a College Writing Seminar course. While each of these are tedious in their own way, they are not over-whelming or unbearable and, in any case, only last for a semester of your first year. The remainder of the courses are extremely tailored to the students' interests and help each unique individual explore their academic world to the fullest potential. The professors are always willing and eager to meet with students and are almost always available, as they are very good at keeping to their scheduled office hours. Grading is a fair scale and infinite opportunities to study abroad, research, and acquire internships are available to students.

The thing that I most love about Juniata is the life. Everyone on campus is friendly and welcoming, we are just one big, happy family slmost all of the time! The facilities crew keep every locaiton on campus as "spic-and-span" as humanly possible, making the housing and campus a lovely place to live. The community, being small, is extremely involved with the students and this simply adds to the personability that is practically tangilble on campus!

The application for Juniata College is no different from others, the Common Application is permitted, and interviews with the campus Administration Counselors are highly recommended during your visits. One of the most strikingly personable aspects of the admission process is the vast amount of financial aid and scholarhip opportunities that the college offers to its students - Juniata really wants to give students the opportunity to continue there education. The "Early Action" option for admissions allows students to express their interest in the school without being contracted into committing if they are accepted.

Since Juniata is a liberal arts school, the core classes were credit requirements from Fine Arts, International (International studies, languages, etc.), Social Sciences, Humanities, and Natural Sciences. I graduated as an English major, but I have a strong background in French and Geology; it's not something many other students can say. The professors asked from day one to be called by their first names to create a close, approachable bond between professor and student. The workload, as expected, was heavy, the classes were challenging, but I'm a stronger person because of it. Studying abroad is encouraged.

Safe safe safe. Juniata is in a small town. I felt completely safe walking across campus alone at night as a woman. The dorms are all locked, the all-girls dorm has added security.

There was a long application, two essays, needed two letters of recommendation. Scholarships were plenty but had their own application process.

2009

General requirements, core classes, major degree requirements are the same as any other four year college.

Accessibility of professors and advisers is exceptionally easy. They will bend over backwards to help with any problem you may have. For example, I broke my leg my last semester and was allowed to work, take quizzes, etc. from home over the computer. I could email any questions I had or even call the professor at home if needed.

Almost all classes are small in size. I think the largest class I had was one core class with 25-30 students. Most classes are12-20 students but I have had classes with less than 10 students.

There is a study abroad program.

Grading is somewhat tougher than state colleges, especially new professors. However, the professors prepared me well for the Masters degree program I am now taking. I still am friendly with those in the history dept. and can still ask questions I have about my Masters classes.

Juniata is just like one big happy family and I recommend it highly! I just wish it had a graduate program.

Sorry, I lived off campus, but the other students were happy with campus life. Made me wish I could have lived on campus.

I attended an open house and the application I filled out was free. Then then did an interview and had me send in an essay on one of four questions. I was then advised by mail I had been accepted. Not hard at all!

2008

Juniata has a lot of general requirements and required courses, which sometimes can be confusing as to whether you've met the requirements, but as long as you stay on top of them and are thinking about them as you're scheduling classes you'll be fine. The POE (Program of Emphasis) program is great in that you can choose to follow a pre-determined track or you can essentially create your own major (POE). Class sizes are small.

The dorms aren't too bad. Some are better than others, but compared to some other schools, the rooms are nicer and bigger. The cost of living is next to nothing if you have a meal plan and live on campus, but room and board is outrageous compared to living off campus and the food is sub-par. There's virtually no crime on campus. The Huntingdon community overall views Juniata students as "the trust fund kids on the hill."

Common Application with a required essay or two. Can apply early decision or regular decision. Can schedule an interview, but not required.

Very vigorous science classes, but professors know your name, are more then willing to help, and provide small class sizes for upper level courses. We are never taught by Teaching Assistants, teaching assistants help with lab but never run the lab or teach course material in place of an instructor.

In my 4 years I never had a single class where the instructor didn't know my name. I am still in contact with multiple faculty (4 years after graduation) and even had one at my small wedding.

Great sense of community and respect. Almost no crime (and that is with leaving backpacks, purses, and coats unlocked in the hallway leading to the dining hall). I had left my graphing calculator in the computer lab over night once and next day it was still there; once I forgot to take my laundry out the dryer (which we leave unattended no one at Juniata is stealing your clothes from the dryer) and when I came back a person had folded all of my clothes; Senior year I had unknowingly lost a necklace--it had apparently got put into the laundry--and a person emailed the whole building about finding the necklace and returned it to me (I had not even know it was lost yet!); I studied abroad and for a whole year prior to leaving the professor in charge of the course (Neil Pelkey) cooked us homemade indian food once a week and gave us cultural and language lessons (all optional) and prepared us for the trip.

2007

Juniata is a very competitve school and it is a very disipline school. The general requirements as well as degree requirements are tough but managable. The class sizes are perfect size with a maximum of about 40 people. Professors are very accessible and provide you with office hours, and are willing to meet with you at any point in time. There are multiple research as well as internship opportunities available here at Juniata. I will be taking advantage of these opportunites within the next year. Everyone at Juniata is wonderful and some of the best people I have met in my life. They are very knowledgeable of their area of study and show an interest in teaching. Study abroad is an option for any student at Juniata. There are affliates in multiple countries all around the world. The workload is heavy but that is what college is all about, preparing for the future. Juniata develops people into analytical thinkers and does not lighten the workload because they are graduating successful and hardworking people.

Housing at Juniata is very diverse and students are open to many options of living. There are 7 on-campus dorm buildings and off campus housing is an option for upper-classmen. The dorms are large enough and heated. They are a comfortable living size, and you are pretty much aloud to bring anything except open flame items, hot plates, and pets (other than fish). The facilities are top notch and up-to-date. The science center is equipped with the latest items, and the library always keeps up on the latest research data bases. The dining facilities provide many different options of food choices, and the quality is better than most schools. We have organic food options as well. Overall Juniata College and the town, Huntingdon, is a very safe place to live. I feel extremely comfortable living on campus and I do not worry that something is going to happen. I am very happy here and feel as though Juniata is my second home.

Applied with the common application with an enterance essay. Applied early decision/early action and I received all of my financial aid from Juniata College. I recieved one or two scholarships from Juniata.

I don't recall.