The FISHN requirements (Fine Arts, International, Social Science, Humanities and Natural Science) requirements are worth it. Class size is small enough to be recognized as an individual but large enough that we can share ideas and have good discussion. The workload is tough, but necessary. What you put in is what you get out.

The housing and cost of living is decent. When you're a student, it doesn't seem enough but now that I've been out, I loved it! The facilities are fantastic and the campus is beautiful. The neighborhood is safe; however community relations could be improved. I'm confident that the Community service Office is producing positive relationships, though.

To be honest, I don't remember it very well since it was about 7 years ago, but I will say that they have excellent merit-based scholarships which require a unique application and essay. They're known as the Nomination Scholarships and they're definitely worth it.

2009

Small class sizes (with the exception of the introductory science courses), excellent professors that are very accessible and always willing to help students, and a variety of research opportunities available.

Common Application and supplemental

2007

Liberal arts education, small class size, profs always available, lots of extra curricular, able to study abroad

Common app

2007

Most courses can count both towards the school's graduation requirements and for the major degree requirements as well.

I felt that overall living on campus for all four years was a great decision.

I applied with SAT optional. I did not send my school SAT scores. I only sent them an essay and poem I wrote in high school.

Challenging classes but small number of students and very helpful faculty leads to an excellent education.

Small community both in the town of the college and within the college itself.

2009

Excellent science program, especially for pre-professional schools (MD/DO/PhD), lots of student-faculty research opportunities in all departments, supportive and group effort atmosphere, student:faculty ratio of approx. 11:1 with average class of 15, very accessible faculty through office hours, email, phone. Fair grading practices throughout the school. Excellent study abroad opportunities,

Majority of housing is on-campus (dorms) or campus-owned (houses). Cost of living is low and most things are covered in room/board. Facilities are very well-maintained and maintenance personnel are quick to respond to reported problems. Library is helpful and always looking for ways to help students or facilitate their needs in terms of resources and space. Plenty of options at each meal time in the main dining hall, several other places to get food on and off campus nearby. Good town-college relations and consistently growing due to new students in the community. College is aware of crime in the area, but most of it is far from campus. Campus police is very responsive to any report/alert. I cannot speak for everyone, but I know I feel happier when I return to campus as an alumnus.

Common application, early decision and early action options, excellent financial aid packages tailored to each student, thorough interview and campus visits.

2008

There are a lot of liberal arts requirements, we call them FISHN credits which stands fro fine arts, international, social science,humanities, and natural science, so every student, regardless of POE takes classes in all subject areas. There are also a list of core classes that you mist complete in your POE. The workload can be demanding at times but it is well worth it in the end. There are a lot of different POEs and you even have the option to write your own! The professors here are fantastic and they go out of their way to help you succeed. There are also a lot of employment opportunities on campus. There are a lot of research opportunities on campus that pair you with a professor to complete a research project and there are so many study abroad opportunities you won't know where you want to go!

Juniata is in a very safe town and there is very little crime on campus, I have never had a problem with it. The campus is beautiful and the academic buildings are great. The dorms are relatively nice and they are clean when you move in.

You apply by filling out the common application and you have the general essay that all colleges ask you to submit as well. I applied early decision so I knew within a month of applying that I had been accepted.

I don't recall.

2007

I did early decision. It was a smooth process, and I had no trouble. The admissions staff was always willing to help with questions along the way. They were wonderful.

Being a liberal arts school, you must take several core classes in several fields. The options are generally pretty open so you can find something you're actually interested in. The faculty are genuinely passionate about the subject they're teaching. They work hard to make sure you succeed. The workload can be overwhelming at times but there are plenty of campus options like study groups, the writing lab, etc to help you keep it under control. There is a large about of reading for most classes which forces you acquire better time management skills.

Like in any school, there are better, newer buildings than some. The college tries to keep buildings and housing up to the best of their ability. The staff at JC is amazing and extremely friendly, it is not uncommon to become friends with your dorm's custodian. Huntingdon leaves something to be desired but the college is trying it's best to help to revitalize the town especially through their entrepreneurship and business programs. The town is extremely safe, I never once felt unsure walking down the street at night. There is not a lot to do in the actual town but people end up taking weekend trips to State College or Altoona or just simply going to Raystown Lake with your friends. It makes your appreciate the little things.

Scholarship opportunities are vast & extremely worth the time. Since it's going on 6 years since applying, I do not recollect anything especially unique about the application process, however I found a campus visit and interview extremely useful.