Small class sizes (with the exception of the introductory science courses), excellent professors that are very accessible and always willing to help students, and a variety of research opportunities available.

Common Application and supplemental

2007

Liberal arts education, small class size, profs always available, lots of extra curricular, able to study abroad

Common app

2007

The FISHN requirements (Fine Arts, International, Social Science, Humanities and Natural Science) requirements are worth it. Class size is small enough to be recognized as an individual but large enough that we can share ideas and have good discussion. The workload is tough, but necessary. What you put in is what you get out.

The housing and cost of living is decent. When you're a student, it doesn't seem enough but now that I've been out, I loved it! The facilities are fantastic and the campus is beautiful. The neighborhood is safe; however community relations could be improved. I'm confident that the Community service Office is producing positive relationships, though.

To be honest, I don't remember it very well since it was about 7 years ago, but I will say that they have excellent merit-based scholarships which require a unique application and essay. They're known as the Nomination Scholarships and they're definitely worth it.

2009

We have core courses in a variety of areas, the degree requirements are very clear, and the research opportunities are top notch. I personally was able to conduct research for the 4 years that I was at Juniata College, and was able to have a collective paper published. All courses that I had were very fairly graded. In my major, Biology, the workload was heavy but with relevant material that has since helped me immensely in my internships and graduate school pursuits. Class sizes ranged from about 100 students in intro level courses to between 4-30 students in upper level courses. The faculty across disciplines are very knowledgeable, helpful, and overall exceptional academics. Juniata has an unparalleled sense of community. The study abroad opportunities were vast, one of my reasons for choosing Juniata. Specifically, I was able to study abroad twice in India and Ecuador.

There is an excellent sense of community at Juniata. As a woman I always felt very safe. The campus is well maintained, and the grounds staff is pleasant. The cost of living in Huntingdon is low to average, yet Juniata has an abundance of on/off campus owned residencies. The town of Huntingdon is quite small, which I believe creates a more collective campus community. The library is a great place for studying and resources, and even has a resource librarian to assist with obtaining library materials.

Unique applicaiton, varied essay questions, great scholarship opportunities, interview process for both the school and scholarships.

Small class sizes, great faculty accessibility, many study abroad and research opportunities

Only set back is that it's in a really small town, but there is still a lot to do on campus

The academics at Juniata included classes required for your Program of Emphasis, as well as general education courses that fell under fine arts, international, social sciences, humanities, and natural sciences. Along with these requirements were two cultural analysis courses and a first-year writing/experience seminar. You were advised by two faculty members of your choosing; however, one had to be a faculty member in your program of study. Class sizes were always small-- in my experience, it has been anywhere from a class of six to 40, at most. The professors were always available to discuss academics and career opportunities, as well as in social capacities. Juniata is a school of high achievers; however, I often felt like I was competing against myself than other people in my program. Professors were strict graders and were relatively traditional when it came to academic philosophies. The workload was very heavy at times - always manageable with an adequate supply of coffee and MTOs.

I was a Resident Assistant at Juniata. Therefore, housing was free. I loved living and working on campus and wouldn't have done it any other way. Campus is so centralized that it was helpful to be on campus and walk/bike to all of my classes and to the cafeteria. I felt the facilities were either brand new and beautiful, or old with a lot of comfort and character. I always felt safe and welcome on campus, no matter where I was - even in the surrounding community.

2007

Juniata required you to take 6 credits from the 'FISHN' subjects (fine arts, international, social science, humanaties, natural science). It forced you outside of your major and to explore other classes. The class sizes and quantity of intereaction with profressors was part of what led me to Juniata. The majority of them will do all they can to help you succeed. Even if it means having a study/review class the Sunday before an exam or encouraging you to call them at home if you have questions.

Juniata has an excellent student life. There were always activities that you could get involved with either on campus or in connection with the community. I had a relatively safe feeling at Juniata. The majority of the campus is well lit at night (some areas are rather dark though).

I applied for early decision so that I new early in the year that I was accepted. Even though Juniata College is an expensive school in comparison to state schools, there are a lot of academic scholarships available.

2009

Being a liberal arts school, you must take several core classes in several fields. The options are generally pretty open so you can find something you're actually interested in. The faculty are genuinely passionate about the subject they're teaching. They work hard to make sure you succeed. The workload can be overwhelming at times but there are plenty of campus options like study groups, the writing lab, etc to help you keep it under control. There is a large about of reading for most classes which forces you acquire better time management skills.

Like in any school, there are better, newer buildings than some. The college tries to keep buildings and housing up to the best of their ability. The staff at JC is amazing and extremely friendly, it is not uncommon to become friends with your dorm's custodian. Huntingdon leaves something to be desired but the college is trying it's best to help to revitalize the town especially through their entrepreneurship and business programs. The town is extremely safe, I never once felt unsure walking down the street at night. There is not a lot to do in the actual town but people end up taking weekend trips to State College or Altoona or just simply going to Raystown Lake with your friends. It makes your appreciate the little things.

Scholarship opportunities are vast & extremely worth the time. Since it's going on 6 years since applying, I do not recollect anything especially unique about the application process, however I found a campus visit and interview extremely useful.

2009

Being a liberal arts college, Juniata does a great job of making sure each student gets a complete education. Although I was an environmental science student, some of the classes I most enjoyed were in history taught by Dr. Dave Hsuing. Of course, the classes I took in my field were enriching and lots of fun for the most part. I even had the opportunity to spend a semester at a newly constructed field station situated on a lake near campus. I did this in lieu of going abroad, although there are myriad opportunities to do such, and the majority of students to spend at least one semester abroad.

The faculty members always had their doors open for students to come ask questions or seek advice. They did a fantastic job of creating a classroom environment that was very challenging, yet engaging. It is a great place to learn.

The school is located in a wonderful small town in a rural area. There is enough to do, but not enough to be constantly distracted. Moreover, the outdoor activity opportunities are phenomenal: hiking, biking, canoeing, kayaking, camping, skiing, etc. Being in a small town makes campus feel very safe, and the off campus housing quite affordable. The amenities on campus are great for the size of the school. There are four different areas where students can get meals. There is a large rec center with basketball courts, racquetball courts, a pool, and a fitness center. And the library has three convenient floors, one for group meetings, one for casual research and studying, and another for silent study. There are always some people who just never seem to be happy, but overall I think the majority of students are very happy there.

I had to write an essay and complete Juniata's application. I don't think they used the Common Application, although they may now. They are very generous with financial aid and scholarships; my good grades in high school earned me a scholarship for $12000/year.

2008

Excellent science program, especially for pre-professional schools (MD/DO/PhD), lots of student-faculty research opportunities in all departments, supportive and group effort atmosphere, student:faculty ratio of approx. 11:1 with average class of 15, very accessible faculty through office hours, email, phone. Fair grading practices throughout the school. Excellent study abroad opportunities,

Majority of housing is on-campus (dorms) or campus-owned (houses). Cost of living is low and most things are covered in room/board. Facilities are very well-maintained and maintenance personnel are quick to respond to reported problems. Library is helpful and always looking for ways to help students or facilitate their needs in terms of resources and space. Plenty of options at each meal time in the main dining hall, several other places to get food on and off campus nearby. Good town-college relations and consistently growing due to new students in the community. College is aware of crime in the area, but most of it is far from campus. Campus police is very responsive to any report/alert. I cannot speak for everyone, but I know I feel happier when I return to campus as an alumnus.

Common application, early decision and early action options, excellent financial aid packages tailored to each student, thorough interview and campus visits.

2008