Johns Hopkins University

Intro science classes are extremely large, about 300 people per class. This makes it difficult to get to know professors.

Most advisors in the School of Arts & Sciences are not particularly helpful

Students in science majors are extremely competitive

Limited study abroad opportunities

Research is available

Housing is nice but only provided for two years

Room & board costs are extremely high

Library is mediocre, serves its purpose but is overcrowded and dimly lit

Dining halls do not provide many options

Neighborhood is nice, but only for a few blocks in any direction

Students are generally unhappy

Interviews are not necessary

Early decision is binding

Scholarships are difficult to obtain

Instead of a core curriculum we have distribution requirements for every major. Academic advising is easy to reach and helpful. Class sizes are, for the most part, small, and professors and TAs are readily available whether in person during office hours or through email. There are many research opportunities for those who take the initiative to seek them out and apply to professors. Competitiveness is minimal, in my experience, but only because the people I surround myself in are in completely unrelated majors. Workload is manageable for the organized student.

Housing is adequate, cost of living is way more than it should be for the facilities, the campus is wonderful, though some of the buildings could use updating. The library is an uncomfortable place to study because it is underground. Food is tolerable, though definitely not always great. The neighborhood is safe for the most part, as there are many security guards. Overall happiness seems to be somewhat low because of academics and general study apathy.

We use the Common Application with a Johns Hopkins supplement. We grant interviews, however they are optional and do not weigh heavily on the admissions office's decision.

Common Application along with school application. Interviews are helpful. Early decision is much easier to get into than regular.