Application, core classes requirement, minimum GPA required.

Parking is limited and the food's extremely expensive.

You must take the required classes with passing grades and sufficient credit hours, then you are automatically in if you've declared your major as such.

IU is a research based school which gives students many opportunitites to so research outside of the classroom. The professors are also doing research in addition to teaching which provides for an interesting class atmosphere.

Classes are large in the 100 and 200 levels but become much smaller in the 300 and 400 level area, but the teachers always view you as student and not just a number.

Advisors are always helpful, but I suggest double checking what they say, they do tend to miss things.

Workload I imagine is similar to any other university, as long as you put in the time you'll get good grades, and the professors always make themselves available for any questions or concerns.

Common application process, with many scholarship opportunities. Financial aid process is very easy, and there are many staff members ready and willing to help.

Depending on the program, the academics vary from very strong to very weak. I am in the business school and it is exceptional.

The dorms are being fixed up across campus and dining on campus is reasonable.

It is rather relaxed application process. There aren't any essays and the whole document takes just a few minutes to finish.

For a Bachelor of Arts degree, IU requires core classes in general English, intensive writing, math, and foreign language. Students must at some time take courses that fit under a broad classification such as arts and humanities or social and historical studies. As an honors student, I first met with an advisor at the Hutton Honors College. After a few semesters, I transitioned to advisors within my majors. Classes are pretty big (200 for a lecture, 50 for a seminar) until a student reaches upper level courses, at which point class size drops to about 15 or 20. Professors are happy to meet with students but, considering the large class sizes, students may not get to know their professors unless they introduce themselves to the professors. Grading tends to be on the easy side, especially for long papers. Students in my classes have not been very competitive, choosing instead to help one another and commiserate after difficult assignments. The workload varies according to the number of credit hours a student is taking, though some of the hard sciences are notorious for a greater-than-expected workload. IU has a tremendous amount of research opportunities, and the University allows students to work for course credit or money. One can find research in any department, and professors are always open to this help. Study abroad is also common here, and students can get grants and/or scholarships from the Office of Overseas Studies. It helps that IU is connected to so many different programs and allows for different time periods of study.

Freshman all stay in dorms, which are divided up into "neighborhoods" according to location and specialty programming. The dorms are nice and are constantly being remodeled to fit comfort needs and new technological demands. The residence halls provide a wide variety of tasty--though not always healthy--food. I like that IU provides a point based system (as opposed to meal based) so that I do not feel pressured to eat a certain number of prepaid meals. Each dorm houses a formal lounge for quiet studying and a library for free movie, book, and music rentals. This makes it very easy to have a relaxed night in. I have never felt unsafe on campus, even while walking alone in the dark. There are always enough people out and about that a student doesn't have to panic when he or she is alone. IU is very connected to its community, Bloomington, and many of the volunteer experiences benefit the town.

I applied to Indiana University in October of my senior year of high school. The application was very simple and straightforward. It did not require any particular essays, which eased the stress of applying. I applied regular decision. At the same time, I applied for the Hutton Honors College for the opportunity to receive scholarships and be a part of a small community within the larger school.

Students start off in what we call University Division (unless they are a direct admit) before applying to the school in which they will graduate from. This allows students to really figure out and explore their options before making an initial commitment to their major. It's actually very helpful. The class sizes unfortunately for first years are usually pretty large. It thins out within the year though.

The application was extremely easy! All it took was about five to ten minutes online and the best part was that there was NO essay! I did notice among the students within my school, the earlier you did your application, the better. IU filled up fast and many of my friends were deferred when they applied during our second semester of our senior year in high school.

standard state school application

Personally, I have small class sizes. There are some general requirements, but more core classes that are grouped in clusters (for education majors). Professors are very invested in their students and are happy to provide extra help. There are countless study abroad opportunities that academic advisors highly encourage.

IU has a lot of support from the community. Bloomington is a college town, and there is a lot of friendly interaction between students and residents. The cost of living is reasonable, and there are both inexspensive and exuberant housing options. It is a very safe area with lots of different dining and entertainment options. People love it here!

Very somple online application and highly generous scholarship opportunities when you apply by the priority date.

I regular application without personal essay or letters of recommendation. There is a scholarship program biased on merit accomplishments.

Very reasonable. The amenities are directly proportionate to the cost of living.