Easy school to get in to but students sometimes find themselves overwhelmed if they think it will be an easy school academically.

Housing is great and specialty housing fits individual preferences very well. Cost of living is pretty decent, most everything you need is already included. Campus is beautiful. It was also named one of Wired Magazine's most technologically advanced schools and there are always TONS of computers, media players, etc. avail. for student usage. The library is helpful and innovative. Food is okay, but they could do better with normal (non vegetarian food). However, lots of local foods and vegan options. The neighborhood isn't the best, just not close enough to attractions in the city. Crime and safety isn't an issue though and campus security is rigid.

Scholarship opportunities are offered nearly across the board, but VERY rarely are they full scholarship. I got decent financial aid but still had to move off-campus to afford it. However, study abroad is included in tuition and the school is well-endowed. Batten scholarship is highly competitive.

The university is very easy to get into but hard to stay at considering the amount of work you do and what you learn. The workload is more than a regular college or university. The class sizes are fairly small and the professors are understanding in some terms. There are always research opportunities during the summer and short term. The grading is on the difficult side but overall good.

The cost of living is highly expensive and the food is not always the best; The quality of the dorms is somewhat lower than I overall expected. Everything is very accessible throughout campus and you always have a lot of fun because everyone is close to everyone. It's like a big Sorority house.

It"s women only university so that is definately a major question they ask. Also they have essay questions that are specific to women such as: Who is one of your most inspiring woman in your life? and etc. I applied for Early Decision and it took the same amount of time as it would've with regular decision but I was also a transfer student so it runs a bit differently. I had problems with my financial aid and so I didn't end up with as much as they told me I would end up with.

General requirements and core classes and forced to take at leats one class in every department for overall education, major degree requirements well developed, academic advising easy to get with helpful faculty, small class sizes, very accessible professors and many research opportunities, a feel of friendly competitiveness but not high, fair grading, material learned as a concept not rote memorization and tested as such, notable faculty, many study abroad opportunities and decent workload, heavy at times, but in due amounts

pretty good housing, variable levels of comfort depending on building, cost of living average, beautiful campus, well spaced out, great facilities constantly being updated to newer versions of technology, amazing library, beautiful and staff very competent and helpful, dining mediocre, but planning on revamping next year, neighborhood is wonderul, safe, beautiful and shuttle runs on weekends to downtown Roanoke, very low indices of crime in relation to the school, feel safe when off campus, overall very, very happy.

Unique essay questions, early decision available, finiancial aid easily available.

As a liberal arts college, students are expected to take courses in 7 different disciplines to be well-rounded. Most class sizes are under twenty people, and professors are very available and familiar with their students. Everyone is encouraged to do a study-abroad program...I lived in Italy for a summer! One of the best things about Hollins is the ability for students to formulate independent studies and interdisciplinary studies. Invent yourself at Hollins, and tailor your courses to your true interests. There are huge opportunities for GREAT internships, often coming through very supportive Hollins alums. I cannot imagine there is another school that is more supportive of the students.

I live off-campus, but the campus is beautiful and has everything a person could need. There is so much going on every week...concerts, readings, lectures, etc. that one has to pick and choose.

I am in the Horizon program, which is for women returning to school after at least five years. Hollins requires a short essay, in addition to usual application forms. I was also interviewed by the head of the program. My 1 year of college from 30 years prior still transferred. The financial aid package they offered me made it affordable, and there have been numerous opportunities for scholarships along the way.

Hollins is a liberal arts college, meaning we all (students, staff, faculty, board of trustees) believe that there is more than one way to achieve an education. Hollins strives for each of its graduates to have a well rounded education that increased the students knowledge, critical thinking and interests in ways that engaged them. Our class sizes are very small on average only reaching 10-15 but most never exceeding 20 so you are always you and never just a number. I've never NOT been able to reach my professors who are all very capable and experts in their fields. While our workload is larger than most colleges in the writing sense, it makes us all stronger at research, citing and gives us the skills needed for today's workforce.

While our cost of living is high, it's no more than most state colleges and a lot of the over all cost of tuition is covered by financial aid. Our security is amazing, I've never once felt unsafe on our campus and they attend all of our school functions to provide protection off site as well. Our school really is a community where we all strive, and almost always succeed, to get along. Halls will have movie or game nights for their residents, there are always TONS of events happening on campus as well. We are also very in tune with the Roanoke community with our S.H.A.R.E, our student community service group.

I applied Early Decision and had to try out for my voice scholarship. The application process for Hollins itself isn't too difficult and asks for an essay and transcript plus your extracurricular activities so Admissions lets your achievements speak for themselves while hearing from you in an essay. Our scholarships however are very competitive and include interviews, tryouts and specified portfolio turn ins. But the process is always fair and provides so many opportunities to receive financial help.

The general requirements include fulfilling certain perspectives and skills, which gives you more of a choice in what subjects you would like to take these classes in. The class sizes are small, and the professors are always willing to help. There are a lot of discussions during class. Some professors grade more strictly then others, but the work load is pretty heavy at certain points of the semester.

I am a commuter student, so I live at home with my parents. There are always activities on campus, so I was able to make friends and become involved. The campus, including all of the facilities is beautiful and I feel safe here.

We have application questions, early decision receives more financial aid.

Hollins classes are very small, generally ten to fifteen students, which allows for in-depth discussion of topics and a greater availability of professors. Faculty here are amazing, fun, passionate and incredibly helpful to students.

Hollins has an interesting system of general education requirements that encourages students to take several classes outside of their major, and esentially forces them to be well rounded individuals. I ended up taking many classes that I came to enjoy to fulfill general requirements.

There are five main dormitories on campus in addition to an available apartment complex and what are known as "specialty houses" on campus, offering a variety of living experiences. Costs for room and board are hight, but aid is available when needed.

The campus is beautiful, nestled within the Blue Ridge Mountains of Roanoke. It's small and easy to get around. We have 24/7 computer labs, and a library that, if it doesn't have what you need, will find it for you through inter-library loans. Crime is very low on campus; I always feel safe, and if I don't, I know I can call campus security.

Hollins offers overnight visits for prospective students, a summer program for high school and middle schoolers. We accept early decisions and our admission office is always readily available for questions.

Financial Aid opportunities are abundant. Though we are a private school with a high tuition, scholarships and financial assistance, at least for me, have brough the cost down to what I would have paid for any other school where they did not offer any financial assistance. Also, because we are such a small community, there is more of an opportunity to work with and talk to Finacial Aid about your personal situation.

Skills and perspectives are used to fill requirements. Advising is done with an assigned adviser for the first two years and when the major is declared, the student chooses their new adviser. First years are required to complete a first year seminar. Class sizes vary from four to fifty students. The average size is around twelve. Professors are almost always available and have office hours posted on their doors as well as in the syllabi. Hollins is fairly competitive. Grading varies depending onthe professor. Study abroad is very much encouraged by Hollins.

Housing varies depending on the building. Each has their pros and cons. Cost of living is kind of high. Campus is beautiful and small (which I like). The library is strangely organized and kind of out of the way but the facility itself is pretty. Food is usually bad, but they have days that are great. The dining hall hours are sometimes very inconvenient. Hollins has a great relationship with Roanoke and the school is fairly safe.

Common Application was accepted. It is not uncommon for application fees to be waived. Some admitted students are eligible to compete for the Batten Scholarship which is full tuition. Others scholarships are also available.

Class size is excellent: always small enough to get individual attention from the professors. Lectures usually make up a small portion of class, with discussion being the majority. General requirements were a necessary thing for me to develop here and helped me prepare for the rest of my courses here. Advising for the first three years of school was not at all what I needed it to be. The professor who I was assigned to couldn't answer my questions directly and failed to put me in contact with someone who would be able to answer them. Professors are extremely accessible here. I am happy to have had the opportunity to be guests in their homes for special events and department gatherings. The professor's I've had in the past still remember me and say hello as they pass on campus; without fail. It is a huge part of feeling connected to this university to be recognized and feel appreciated by my professors. The workload has never been an issue for me, in any of my courses really. It seems a fair amount for what I want to achieve here; though would sometimes like to be pushed a bit more. It is competitive here, but extremely supportive at the same time. Grading is usually fair and if there are issues, I always discuss them with the professor. The faculty know what they're teaching. I had the opportunity to study abroad my Junior year in Greece, which was imperative to my development as a student and individual. They encourage everyone to study abroad, yet financial aid to do so is very tight.

On campus housing is mandatory, except for commuter students and Horizon students. Cost of room and board is not cheap. The campus is incredibly beautiful and aesthetically pleasing. It is a very livable environment and atmosphere to be immersed in. Facilities are great: one major perk is that they are 24hr accessible, which doesn't restrict students at all from working. The neighborhood is somewhat non-existent. Campus is pretty much it's own little bubble. Crime and safety are things I rarely worry about, but it does happen on campus, probably more than they make public. Overall happiness is pretty good, except if you are on campus without a car, you are definitely confined to campus since public transportation is really poor here. I'm not sure if this confinement has aided to my campus experience since it's made me fully immerse myself in on-campus life...or if it's crippled me a bit, since I haven't been able to be independent off campus.

I applied early decision and also applied for financial aid and a Creative Talent Scholarship, which I ended up receiving. There was an essay for the application process and early decision was the best choice for me. The application was specific to Hollins; not the Common Application. Not sure if I did an interview or not!

Hollins has a system where you are required to take atleast one course with a certain perspective (For example, a SCI class, a CRE class, a GLO class, etc.) and a certain skill, such as information technology, quantitive reasoning, and applied research. I am a creative writing major, so other than the basic requirements I need to take more literature and writing classes than others. Two physical education classes and a year of foreign language is also required.

The housing is nicer than many dorms I've heard of. Freshman dorms are a bit smaller than others, but you get bigger dorms after that. There is also specialty housing, such as Otaku hall for people who like sci-fi, fantasy, and anime or HOP for people who do a lot of outdoor activities (hiking, rafting, etc.), and others.

It's been a while since I filled out the application to hollins, but what I do remember are two essays, the prompt of which I got to choose from a list of prompts, and a bunch of questions. I applied for early application since Hollins was my first choice, so that I would have the best chance possible of getting in.