Very small classes, plenty of abroad opportunities and very flexible faculty.

Beautiful, safe campus. Dining not so nice.

Easy and very accomidating with plenty of scholarship opportunities. Any question I had was answered.

Class sizes are TINY, my biggest class so far has been my Introductory Psychology class at about 30 students. This is NOT the place for you if you don't plan on going to class. Except for what's required for your major, there are no classes you have to take. All your requirements are done as things called Perspectives and Skills and there is a huge pool of classes to choose from for each one. You can only take classes you have a genuine interest in and you'll be pretty set.

Room, board and dining is pretty expensive but if you can swing the price, it's not at all bad for a college campus. As a first year, you will have a double unless you spend extra money for a single. The doubles here are the same size as some quadruples on other campuses, it's really not bad at all. The library is absolutely fantastic and there's almost always a professional librarian working at the reference desk to help you with research. Campus security patrols around the road 24/7 and there's only one gate in and out of campus, so it's pretty safe. The food could be better, but hey, nothing's perfect. It's not that bad for cafeteria food, anyway.

If you've actually heard about it and are truly considering it, chances are pretty high you'll get in. The hard part is paying for it, so definitely aim for scholarships. The Batten scholarships are especially nice.

Hollins is great for opportunitites to study abroad. The workload is heavy at times for any given major but varies

Hollins is a historic private campus and one has to deal with those kinds of short comings. You wont get what you want when you want it but the university does its best to see to the needs of its students

Hollins Has rolling admissions so you can be admitted at any time but its better to do it early so you can get as much financial aid as they deem you fit to recieve. The students get decent packages to begin with and then get less and less money every year. I came for a visit before I was admitted

Academics at my school are great. The general education program is flexible and allows you to fit it to your interests. Major requirements are the same way; they are flexible and you can really tailor your major to your specific interests. Academic advising is good as well. Advisors are very knowledgeable and willing to help you. Professors in general are quite accessible both in person and via email. Class sizes are small (usually less than 20), which means that the professors really know their students. There are many research opportunities starting the first semester of your first year. My school is not particularly competitive. Grading seems fair. Study abroad opportunities are plentiful; most students study abroad either for a month or a semester. Workload is manageable but rigorous.

Housing on campus is good. The rooms are all fairly large. Room and board is expensive, though, with little choice as far as meals/meal plans go. The campus is gorgeous, though, with great facilities (especially the riding center) and a fantastic library. The neighborhood is suburban, but a good-sized city is about fifteen minutes away, and freshman can bring their cars to campus. Crime and safety is not a huge problem. Most students who stay are happy, but the retention rate is relatively low.

My school uses Common App, with a few extra questions as well as an essay. Admission is rolling, but you won't find out if you got in before December 15 (approximately). Interviews are optional. Scholarships are wonderful; they are numerous and very generous. Application for the scholarships is easy; you are considered automatically when you apply for admission.

Hollins has a general education program through Skills and Perspectives which are different requirements that can be filled across a variety of departments, this allowed for a maximum amount of flexibility. Classes never exceed 50 students and the average tends to be around 12 students. Th professors have weekly office hours where they are available but they are also extremely welcoming and encourage students to set up individual appointments when necessary. The work load ranges based on the level of the course and the department, it can range from very light to very demanding.

It is an extremely safe campus with a very close knit environment. Our facilities are historic since the campus was founded in 1842 but have been renovated to be modernized. I would say the overall student is happy.

Like most other schools we have gen ed requirements, but you can get around having to take a math course by taking courses like ancient art or global systems. The professors are fantastic and it's not uncomon to go out on the town with them after a lecture or have dinner at their houses. There is not really a sense of competition here, at least it's not talked of, and girls don't like to talk about grades which creates some awkward tension at times because there is no healthy competition. The study abroad opportunities are amazing and we have the oldest abroad Paris program in the country.

I always feel safe on campus, even walking around the loop at 2am feels safe. The dorms are amazing, especially in special housing options. As with all schools people complain about the food. Our library is gorgeous but it's hours are somewhat inconvenient because it closes at midnight instead of later.

The admissions process is very laid back. We hve a declining freshmen profile because they are accepting more and more people who should not be here in order to get money from them. This results however in a horrible freshmen retention rate. It is a hame to see such a high quality school be filled with incomptetent students. Honestly, if it was not for the professors I would have transferred.

We have a very comfortable academic environment at Hollins. Our professors give us their cell phone numbers in case we have questions. Often our professors will have us over for dinner and attend events on campus. Some of our professors even live on campus. Students are very supportive of each other, and any competitiveness is friendly. Grading and the workload very by course and professor, but all of our professors are willing to work with you if you are feeling overwhelmed or starting to fall behind. Our classes are blissfully small, and you get a lot of personal attention. Most of my classes are very discussion based. Hollins focuses on developing your voice. You get asked "Why do you think that?" a lot at Hollins, and you come out of school a much better critical thinker.

Hollins is really a community. Living on campus is a lot of fun, and we have a lot of specialty housing options. Our library is absolutely beautiful. It is a great place to study and the staff is such a pleasure to work with.

Our admissions staff are so amazing. You admissions process is incredibly personalized and you become close with your counselor. Every step of the admissions process was friendly and comfortable. I felt like they were getting to know me, not just my test scores.

Hollins is weird because they try to teach 'skills' rather than make the students take typical X101 classes. While this means you can build the skills (i.e. math, English, oral, etc.) with classes that actually interest you, it makes it almost impossible to transfer and not repeat credits. Hollins also has 'perspectives' one must fulfill, such as Ancient Worlds, Modern Worlds, Creative, and Science. A variety of classes can fulfill these as well.

Degree requirements change based on how many faculty each department has; psychology was recently revamped due to staff changes. Since most of the departments are small, the relationship between student and teacher is more one-on-one with the professors generally being very willing to work with a student who demonstrates effort in learning. Class sizes are usually medium to small. Grading varies by professor but is generally fair, although there are some known minor problems. Study abroad options are good for certain majors, horrible for others. For example: there is nothing for psychology, but plenty for English.

Housing: Depends on the building and your individual preference. The campus-owned apartments are pretty nifty.

Cost of living: Roanoke has a low cost of living, so ignoring the high price of tuition there is a lot to do in the area for pretty cheap. There are also some high-end stores and restaurants for those with money.

Campus: Beautiful, although bad for those with grass or pollen allergies. Once it hits spring, the grass is always being cut and the pollen gets pretty bad.

Facilities: Being improved each year. Some modern, some old; overall cool mix of history.

Library: One of the newer buildings and quiet awesome. Good collection. Great DVD collection; always getting in interesting new books.

Dining: Food quality depends on what you're use to. Don't expect to be able to eat healthy every meal, regardless of how much they try: it's still college food.

Crime and safety: It's an open campus, but (reported) crime happens very rarely. Food-stealing is very common, so have your own fridge.

Overall happiness: Very high because the people here are amazing, open-minding, welcoming, and tolerant.

Don't remember, been too long. Seemed as normal as other schools. There is an option for early decision though.

Hollins does not do "gen-eds", but instead has "requirements" such as i (technology), q (basic math), and Q (more difficult math). When you look at the list of classes for a semester, there is a column to tell you which classes will fulfill which requirements. The biggest class I've been in so far was 34 people and it was an introductory class. Professors are extremely accessible- you can e-mail them whenever, talk to them after class, or come in during office hours and they will always help you. There is fall semester, JTERM (a month long term in January where students either take one class, study abroad, or do an internship), and Spring Semester

Housing is guaranteed for all students, and the only extra cost of living would be if you choose to live in a single dorm ($400 extra a semester) or live in a double by yourself (I think $1200 a semester but I may be wrong). It's mostly on campus dorms, with 3 rows of apartments within walking distance. One thing I also like is that there's a tunnel under the main road so when you walk from the apartments, you don't have to cross the road. The only problem is that there is no sense of community once you're off campus. There's two restaurants no farther than the apartments are and both have Hollins discounts for students who eat there, and a CVS a little farther down, but you need a car to get to the mall, Walmart, or Target. Hollins does supply a shuttle that runs on Wednesdays and the weekends to the mall, Walmart, and downtown Roanoke, but every time I've taken the shuttle, we've been pressed for time to not miss the shuttle on the way back (it will only stop for a minute, then leave). Although you see security on campus daily, there is no guardhouse at the entrance, and there have been a few instances of someone from outside campus coming onto campus and doing random things (which ranges between bringing a gun to a party to an older man streaking the campus).

I'm pretty sure Hollins did not use a Common App. There were interviews for a Batten Scholarship and three main scholarships you could apply for on your application: Founder's Award, Creative Talent, and one other. Hollins worked on a rolling admissions decision, and I did not apply early decision, since it was binding, and I would have to wait to see what scholarships I would get. (The only thing that would have kept me from Hollins was scholarships- Hollins was my first choice). Hollins does a great job providing financial aid, increasing it while government scholarships/aid go down

General education/core classes are about 20 people, give or take. Extremely few classes are very large, with 50 people in them.

The upper-level class size depends on your major. I am a chemistry major and our classes are pretty much less than five people for every class. In fact, we will only have four people majoring in it this year!

Extremely expensive.

Can't get off the meal plan, which just adds on dollars.

Very small, close knit community. Thing that sucks about that is that generally you see the same people all throughout your college classes and don't have a chance to meet much others.

Quiet community. Doesn't have a lot going on social-wise.

Campus is in the middle of nowhere so you have to drive one or two hours to get to other areas such as Virginia Tech, VMI, Hampden-Sydney, Lynchburg, etc.