Hollins is great for opportunitites to study abroad. The workload is heavy at times for any given major but varies

Hollins is a historic private campus and one has to deal with those kinds of short comings. You wont get what you want when you want it but the university does its best to see to the needs of its students

Hollins Has rolling admissions so you can be admitted at any time but its better to do it early so you can get as much financial aid as they deem you fit to recieve. The students get decent packages to begin with and then get less and less money every year. I came for a visit before I was admitted

Very small classes, plenty of abroad opportunities and very flexible faculty.

Beautiful, safe campus. Dining not so nice.

Easy and very accomidating with plenty of scholarship opportunities. Any question I had was answered.

Class sizes are TINY, my biggest class so far has been my Introductory Psychology class at about 30 students. This is NOT the place for you if you don't plan on going to class. Except for what's required for your major, there are no classes you have to take. All your requirements are done as things called Perspectives and Skills and there is a huge pool of classes to choose from for each one. You can only take classes you have a genuine interest in and you'll be pretty set.

Room, board and dining is pretty expensive but if you can swing the price, it's not at all bad for a college campus. As a first year, you will have a double unless you spend extra money for a single. The doubles here are the same size as some quadruples on other campuses, it's really not bad at all. The library is absolutely fantastic and there's almost always a professional librarian working at the reference desk to help you with research. Campus security patrols around the road 24/7 and there's only one gate in and out of campus, so it's pretty safe. The food could be better, but hey, nothing's perfect. It's not that bad for cafeteria food, anyway.

If you've actually heard about it and are truly considering it, chances are pretty high you'll get in. The hard part is paying for it, so definitely aim for scholarships. The Batten scholarships are especially nice.

The general requirements are set up so that students may choose the classes they wish to fulfill them, though there are certain fields which are necessary--foreign language, science, quantitative reasoning, research and writing skills, oral communication, science, global studies, diversity, ancient studies, modern or contemporary worlds, creative expression and aesthetic analysis.

Degree requirements differ from major to major, but all core requirements must be fulfilled. Professors can almost always be reached by email and many times are in their offices. Some even hand out their personal cell phone or home numbers so that in case of emergency, they can be reached there. Study abroad opportunities are many and students are given every advantage to avail themselves of them.

Cost of living can sometimes seem extreme, especially when the quality of food is sometimes subpar. Housing options are many, ranging from off-campus apartments to dorm rooms in old and new buildings, specialty housing and singles. The library has excellent resources for the size of the student body and the research librarians provide expert advice. The neighborhood is relatively removed from the overall campus, though close enough that alternative food options and shopping are not difficult prospects. Overall happiness of the students seems fairly uniform.

The admissions process involved an essay, list of references and basic questions. Early decision was an option. Interviews were mainly for scholarships and not for general admission. The applications could be found online, though I picked mine up directly at the college. Financial aid and scholarships were always discussed prominently along with admissions and I was given opportunities to personally discuss financial aid.

We have a very comfortable academic environment at Hollins. Our professors give us their cell phone numbers in case we have questions. Often our professors will have us over for dinner and attend events on campus. Some of our professors even live on campus. Students are very supportive of each other, and any competitiveness is friendly. Grading and the workload very by course and professor, but all of our professors are willing to work with you if you are feeling overwhelmed or starting to fall behind. Our classes are blissfully small, and you get a lot of personal attention. Most of my classes are very discussion based. Hollins focuses on developing your voice. You get asked "Why do you think that?" a lot at Hollins, and you come out of school a much better critical thinker.

Hollins is really a community. Living on campus is a lot of fun, and we have a lot of specialty housing options. Our library is absolutely beautiful. It is a great place to study and the staff is such a pleasure to work with.

Our admissions staff are so amazing. You admissions process is incredibly personalized and you become close with your counselor. Every step of the admissions process was friendly and comfortable. I felt like they were getting to know me, not just my test scores.

The class size ranges from 25-10 students, with most class on the smaller end of the scale. All the professors have office hours and walk-ins are usually welcome. Grading varies from class to class and teacher to teacher, but is set forth in thy syllabus for each class, and doesn't change during the semester. There is a great study abroad program here at Hollins. Students have access to a number of different programs. The international programs office works really hard to get you into abroad programs, give you financial aid oppurtunities, and get your credits transfered, but they don't have the best communication with the students. Deadlines tend to pop up out of nowhere, so you really need to stay ahead of the game. Another problem I've had here,though it is probably true at most schools, is that the professors tend to act as if their class is the only one you are taking and believe that you should devote your time to reading and studying for their class only. This makes the reading assignments for english, history, or even international studies classes really heavy. Along those same lines, papers and final projects tend to be due on the same day. For example, just this past week I had a presentation, a project, and a draft of a paper due on Wednesday; a test and another paper due on Thursday; and a short essay due on Friday, all for different classes.

The housing options are pretty good, especially in the newer buildings which have air conditioning and normal heaters instead of radiators. The library is fantastic. The food leave much to be desired, mostly because there is only one option: Sodexho. Our security department is very visible and they interact with the students on a daily basis. I have never felt unsafe on campus.

They used the Common Application and a few supplements which showcase things like writing technique. You can apply early or regular decision.

Like most other schools we have gen ed requirements, but you can get around having to take a math course by taking courses like ancient art or global systems. The professors are fantastic and it's not uncomon to go out on the town with them after a lecture or have dinner at their houses. There is not really a sense of competition here, at least it's not talked of, and girls don't like to talk about grades which creates some awkward tension at times because there is no healthy competition. The study abroad opportunities are amazing and we have the oldest abroad Paris program in the country.

I always feel safe on campus, even walking around the loop at 2am feels safe. The dorms are amazing, especially in special housing options. As with all schools people complain about the food. Our library is gorgeous but it's hours are somewhat inconvenient because it closes at midnight instead of later.

The admissions process is very laid back. We hve a declining freshmen profile because they are accepting more and more people who should not be here in order to get money from them. This results however in a horrible freshmen retention rate. It is a hame to see such a high quality school be filled with incomptetent students. Honestly, if it was not for the professors I would have transferred.

Hollins does not do "gen-eds", but instead has "requirements" such as i (technology), q (basic math), and Q (more difficult math). When you look at the list of classes for a semester, there is a column to tell you which classes will fulfill which requirements. The biggest class I've been in so far was 34 people and it was an introductory class. Professors are extremely accessible- you can e-mail them whenever, talk to them after class, or come in during office hours and they will always help you. There is fall semester, JTERM (a month long term in January where students either take one class, study abroad, or do an internship), and Spring Semester

Housing is guaranteed for all students, and the only extra cost of living would be if you choose to live in a single dorm ($400 extra a semester) or live in a double by yourself (I think $1200 a semester but I may be wrong). It's mostly on campus dorms, with 3 rows of apartments within walking distance. One thing I also like is that there's a tunnel under the main road so when you walk from the apartments, you don't have to cross the road. The only problem is that there is no sense of community once you're off campus. There's two restaurants no farther than the apartments are and both have Hollins discounts for students who eat there, and a CVS a little farther down, but you need a car to get to the mall, Walmart, or Target. Hollins does supply a shuttle that runs on Wednesdays and the weekends to the mall, Walmart, and downtown Roanoke, but every time I've taken the shuttle, we've been pressed for time to not miss the shuttle on the way back (it will only stop for a minute, then leave). Although you see security on campus daily, there is no guardhouse at the entrance, and there have been a few instances of someone from outside campus coming onto campus and doing random things (which ranges between bringing a gun to a party to an older man streaking the campus).

I'm pretty sure Hollins did not use a Common App. There were interviews for a Batten Scholarship and three main scholarships you could apply for on your application: Founder's Award, Creative Talent, and one other. Hollins worked on a rolling admissions decision, and I did not apply early decision, since it was binding, and I would have to wait to see what scholarships I would get. (The only thing that would have kept me from Hollins was scholarships- Hollins was my first choice). Hollins does a great job providing financial aid, increasing it while government scholarships/aid go down

Hollins has a general education program through Skills and Perspectives which are different requirements that can be filled across a variety of departments, this allowed for a maximum amount of flexibility. Classes never exceed 50 students and the average tends to be around 12 students. Th professors have weekly office hours where they are available but they are also extremely welcoming and encourage students to set up individual appointments when necessary. The work load ranges based on the level of the course and the department, it can range from very light to very demanding.

It is an extremely safe campus with a very close knit environment. Our facilities are historic since the campus was founded in 1842 but have been renovated to be modernized. I would say the overall student is happy.

Hollins uses a system of skills and perspectives for gen eds. So rather than requiring every student to take English 101, every student must take a writing course, but that course can be history, science, math, anything, really. Faculty are very approachable and try to help as much as they can. Classes are quite small. I'd estimate that they average about 10. 15 is a large class. 30 is a large lecture. This means that everyone gets a lot of one on one attention.

The housing available is fairly nice, but there isn't a very wide selection. Also, most of the dorms do not have air conditioning, which can be a pain. Campus facilities are generally very nice. Everything is always clean. The library is gorgeous. Dining is rather limited, but when there is something good, it's generally pretty good. Campus is pretty safe. I'd say that most people either love it here or hate it. It's hard to find someone in the middle. Those that hate it generally leave after a semester or two.

Common Application, open-ended essay, Batten Scholarship competition/Hollins Scholar awards, Creative Talent scholarships