We have this thing called ESP at Hollins where you have skills you need to aquire for graduation. It's hard to figure out the classes you want to take for your major with all of that, but after a while, you don't realize you've filled it out and it really does help you take a variety of classes.

You have a lot of choices for housing with apartments, alumni housing, and specialty housing like the french house and NEFA (Near East Fine Arts). The campus security is really great at helping us feel safe and sending out awareness reports as soon as they find out there's trouble on or around campus.

I audition to get into the music program. I auditioned with a snare drum solo and a marimba piece. Hollins University didn't have a marimba class up until I auditioned for the school and they saw what i could do. Now, I'm part of the African Mallet Ensemble. The applicatoin essay i wrote had to be about someone i looked up to and I wrote about a female drummer named Lux. I also won a creative talent award, and i supplied the first chapter to a story I've written

Class sizes are small. Faculty are amazing! If it wasn't for the incredible faculty here, I would not have stayed.

Library is fantastic; dining is tolerable. The community is really involved with the school.

Interviews are helpful because they distinguish applicants from their SAT scores and GPA.

need to be psychic to know what the professors want

expensive and disgusting food

Essay

Liberal Arts, general education requirements for education including internship in your major (not required for minor), furfilling a minor takes about 5 classes, each student is paired with an academic advisor (that specializes in your department), class sizes are at the most 20-30 people (but that is rare to have), study abroad is available and connecting with another school for study abroad is available.

Housing needs improvement, its very expensive overall, there are wellness walls and specialized halls, apartments are in high demand with juniors and seniors, the library is beautiful, the neighborhood is okay (crime and safety), safety is well monitored but could be improved, there is not much community relations, the roanoke area is artsy and holds many outdoor related things to do like hiking and visiting downtown Roanoke. the dining hall is the worst and needs much improvement. i highly suggest not eating there.

information packets, application (essays and test scores), offered tour of campus with interviews, early decision offered, financial aid options plus scholarships.

Class sizes are typically very small, and I haven't been in a class above the 200 level that had more than 20 students in it. There is no grading standard, however: in some classes it will be impossibly easy to get high marks, and in others, the amount of work required will be absolutely not worth the grade you receive.

The study abroad program is, without a doubt, one of Hollins finest. A vast majority of students study abroad at some point in their career here at Hollins, either for an entire semester, year, or just a J-Term (as Hollins operates on a 4/1/4 calendar). In only the last two J-Terms, I have seen J-Term trips to: Berlin, Munich, Ireland, Italy, London, Australia and the Caribbean.

As an English major, I can only really speak of my department. The English department at Hollins is particularly lauded, for some asinine reason. They are elitist and highfalutin, with very little actual dedication to explain their notoriety. Even professors within the department, who have been teaching at Hollins for several years, have recognized this. Some seem to have entirely wiped their hands with the direction the department is going. The really unfortunate part of this is that very few professors are actually invested in their students, but I've discovered that it's very hard to find a professor who will treat you like an adult, but when you find that professor, you should cling to them like a drowning man. The faculty at Hollins is, at its majority level, elitist, but with admittedly good reason--they are all well-deserving of their positions.

If you plan on eating decently at any time in your next four years, don't come to Hollins. Housing is adequate, but poorly maintained, and, at times, crowded. Despite the overwhelming lack of communication between administration and students, people seem to be pretty happy at Hollins. The campus is remarkably safe--you won't understand until you get here--and the surrounding area is rather laid-back. We have a somewhat strained relationship with the Roanoke community, however, given our (obviously) very large LGBT population, which is highly out of place in southwestern Virginia.

Standard and disgustingly easy to get into. Hollins' main motivator is money, so if you have it--or if they think they can squeeze some out of you--you'll get in.

Class sizes are small, which is wonderful, the general requirements seem pretty unique in that there are a number of classes in all departments that fulfill all the requirments, and you have to fulfill these requirements in different departments. We do have study abroad, academic advising, and research opportunities.

Cost of living on campus is too high, in my opinion, but the facilities are decent, the library is great, dining kind of sucks, but this is a very safe campus, generally speaking.

The application form was similar to others, there were some essay questions, only one had to be answered. I believe Hollins accepts to Common Application. Early decision is binding, regular decision is not.

Hollins University is not a difficult college to attend. Academics are more like a game - learn the professors, figure out what they want and give it to them. I did not purchase textbooks for two years and I passed all of my classes.

The advising is so-so. As a student, I was not given much guidance from my advising faculty member. Freshman year, I was instructed to "not worry about requirements" and I ended up only enrolling for a 14 credit semester, which ended up hurting me in Senior year, once I realized what had happened. It was only because of the registrar's office that I knew - my advising faculty member had no idea that I was behind and insisted that everything was fine.

Perspectives and Skills - the requirements in addition to the degree major/minor requirements - are silly and poorly planned. I only took one semester of math and no English classes and am getting a degree in Communications.

I lived off-campus, so I was not included nor aware of any on-campus activities. The library was impressive. Only a few incidents of crime were reported around campus - a flasher, several car break-ins - so the overall feeling was one of safety. As a commuter student, I did not feel a part of or a desired member of the Hollins community. That was okay with me, though as the Hollins Community was rather silly and frivolous.

Hollins courts rising senior & senior girls in High School, promising them grandiose funding and financial assistance. They host a variety of teas and meetings, promoting a certain ideal of the college. The application is easy enough. Then, once the girls are accepted into Hollins, the courting stops. The Financial Aid office stops caring and being helpful, things become confusing and at least in my case, the aid I was promised was reduced by half for no apparent reason - leaving me with a bill twice as much as I had expected.

Classes are small and discussion based for the most part. The professors aren't big fans of the lecture - they like to let the students lead. Academic advising is a bit disappointing, as most of the professors have too many students to really give that much individual attention. The professors aren't as accessible as they'd like you to believe. You can email them but trying to find one of them in their office? Good luck. Hollins has an unique system of requirements that doesn't transfer anywhere, so you're stuck, which is definitely frustrating. Most students are too laid back to get seriously competitive over classes. I've heard many good things about the study-abroad opportunities, but have not yet tested them out. The workload is a joke, for the most part.

Housing is required for all four years at Hollins. The first year dorms are loud and obnoxious, and everyone can hear everyone else. When the whole building is on their period, there is fear in the air. The campus is nice but stuck in the middle of nowhere, and getting off campus is next to impossible. If you come here, definitely bring a car because there is nowhere but CVS to walk to. The library is still relatively new and very good. Dining-wise, the food is pretty horrible and bland, and the hours suck. It's always very crowded in there. We're open to the community and so we have a fairly good relationship with them. Little crime - you can leave stuff on the table and come back 5 hours later, odds are it'll be there.

It is very easy to get in. My roommate finished everything two days before the deadline and she was accepted despite the quality of her work. One of the questions on the application was an important woman in your life who wasn't your mother, which fits as it's a women's college. Scholarships were easy to apply for and even easier to get.

There is an essay question about why you want to go to Hollins University. There is an optional interview. SAT scores are not required, but you can list them. Hollins University tends to send their acceptance letters sooner than other colleges. They are nice about answering questions about financial aid and scholarship opportunities and all of that information is listed on their website as well. The majority of students at Hollins University participate in student work study as a form of financial aid.