“Zarb School of Business”
October 2017FORMER STUDENT

Great professors, interesting classes, great pipeline to professional world, great access to New York City.

I felt that, in some respects, the general education requirements were a waste of time and money.

Comments

Make sure to get involved in clubs and organizations relating to your major and future career. Also, make connections with some professors in your area of interest, they are immeasurably helpful.

“Review of Hofstra University”
June 2015FORMER STUDENT

Top notch professors and great location close to New York City

Area surrounding campus could be improved. Career center was not helpful.

Comments

Visit the campus and tour the school before you commit. Overall great school

“Review”
March 2015FORMER STUDENT

Location and professors were uppers for me at Hofstra University.

Food and course offerings were downers for me at Hofstra University.

Comments

Students should understand the uppers and downers fo attending this school.

Hofstra's class sizes are just right - I have never had a class with more than 40 students in it. I once even had a class with only 3 students in it. This is really great because it really makes the classes more personal and creates a better connection with your professors. All of the classes are taught by professors, not teaching assistants which is another huge benefit. As a biology major, we have awesome research opportunities. For a bachelor of science I am required to do research with one of the professors in the biology department for my entire senior year. This research is a great opportunity because it let's you in on studies that your professors are actually taking part in currently. The hands on experience is great, and will look very nice on my resume once I graduate.

There are so many housing options on campus, it is hard to choose. I have lived in all first-year suites, upperclassmen suites and currently a single room in one of the towers, and I loved every single one for different reasons. In the suites it was great having your roommates around all the time and your own bathroom, but I also love the privacy of my single room. Our library is HUGE, with tons of study rooms/areas all throughout that are available all the time. They are really useful when it comes time to study and you can't focus in your dorm.

Students at Hofstra have courses that they are required to take to satisfy their major and general courses that satisfy university requirements. Class sizes are very small at Hofstra making it easy for students to ask their professors for assistance in the course and gives professors the opportunity to really connect with their students. Hofstra offers many different study abroad programs to many different countries during the typical Fall and Spring Semesters, but also during the January and 3 Summer Semesters.

Living on-campus at Hofstra University is an amazing experience. The dorms at Hofstra are well-maintained and are constantly being renovated. The surrounding area is very urban, as there are countless amounts of locations for shopping, dining, and the like.

Students wishing to apply to Hofstra University are asked to apply using the Common Application along with a supplemental application. Students have the option of applying early decision which shows that they are truly passionate and interested in the university. Upon visiting Hofstra University, prospective students can attend an information and campus tour, meet with an admissions counselor, or attend a class with a current Hofstra student via the "Up-Close Program." Hofstra offers a ton of options for financial aid and offers generous scholarships as well.

Hofstra is great because once you're accepted to the university, you're accepted to all of its colleges as well. This means you can change your major without any problem at all. Hofstra requires core classes in the humanities, social sciences, natural sciences and mathematics, creative participation, and cross cultural studies areas, among others. Professors have required office hours and love to hear from students. They are also quick to respond via telephone and email. From my experience, professors are always available and very helpful.90 percent of Hofstra's faculty hold the highest degree in their field. Also, the professor is always teaching the class, never a graduate student or TA. Hofstra offers many study abroad programs throughout the year, including trips to London and Japan. Additionally, we have a sister school in Amsterdam, where many students choose to study for a semester or a year.

Dorms on campus are very big. Students can live in a single, double, triple, or quad in the high rise dorm buildings. There are also suite-style housing complexes. Hofstra has first year housing intended to ensure that first year students make a smooth transition into college life. Every floor of every building has a specially trained Resident Assistant. We have about 20 eateries on campus, some of which are open until 2 AM and a convenience store that is 24/7. The library is open until midnight, while the computer lab and study room are open 24/7. Public Safety makes sure campus is safe. Many officers are retired police officers.

Hofstra has its own application, both on paper and online. The school also accepts the Common Application. Hofstra strongly considers SAT scores, but does not consider the writing score on the SAT. Hofstra also accepts the ACT. Interviews are optional but not usually required. Hofstra has two early action deadlines but does not offer early decision. Regular decision is rolling. Hofstra evaluates each student to determine whether or not they qualify for merit-based aid (up to $14,000 per year) and offers need-based aid upon reviewing the student's FAFSA report.