“I wish someone told me this when I applied”
February 2020FORMER STUDENT

I had one decent professor who wasn't a complete waste of time. But he left during my last semester so Hofstra lost its one and only asset.

My problems with Hofstra started on day one and never ended in the 1.5 semesters I was there. Heed my warning and save yourself the headache and frustration.

Hofstra and Zarb have a knack for providing false information or promises. Don't take anything they say during the open house at face value. I was told I'd be able to do an independent study during my interview, and when the time came, they refused and didn't give any reason. They also advertised 10 elective classes on the website, but last semester they only offered one.

Most of my professors were incapable of conveying the material in a meaningful or digestible way, and some never made eye contact with the class throughout the whole semester. Six of the ten classes in my program were a complete waste of time.

If you have any complaints or want to vouch for your right to a decent education, the dean and department chairs will either ignore you or talk down to you until they think you will give up. I had an associate dean laugh in my face when I told him I wanted a better education. Use that information as you will.

Comments

Incompetence must be a job requirement for all Hofstra employees. Most faculty and administration either talk down to you, tell you they'll do something or follow up with you and don't, or ignore your emails and phone calls completely. I've seen this behavior from Zarb, financial aid, housing, registrar, and HR. You would think that at least financial aid would be more careful since they're dealing with people's money. Nope. I had to watch them like a hawk and correct their same mistakes over and over again.

The area is also very unsafe. The first week of my first semester there were TWO reported gun-point break-ins and robberies on campus. Just visit Hempstead and you'll see what I'm talking about.

“Zarb School of Business”
October 2017FORMER STUDENT

Great professors, interesting classes, great pipeline to professional world, great access to New York City.

I felt that, in some respects, the general education requirements were a waste of time and money.

Comments

Make sure to get involved in clubs and organizations relating to your major and future career. Also, make connections with some professors in your area of interest, they are immeasurably helpful.

“Review of Hofstra University”
June 2015FORMER STUDENT

Top notch professors and great location close to New York City

Area surrounding campus could be improved. Career center was not helpful.

Comments

Visit the campus and tour the school before you commit. Overall great school

“Review”
March 2015FORMER STUDENT

Location and professors were uppers for me at Hofstra University.

Food and course offerings were downers for me at Hofstra University.

Comments

Students should understand the uppers and downers fo attending this school.

Hofstra's class sizes are just right - I have never had a class with more than 40 students in it. I once even had a class with only 3 students in it. This is really great because it really makes the classes more personal and creates a better connection with your professors. All of the classes are taught by professors, not teaching assistants which is another huge benefit. As a biology major, we have awesome research opportunities. For a bachelor of science I am required to do research with one of the professors in the biology department for my entire senior year. This research is a great opportunity because it let's you in on studies that your professors are actually taking part in currently. The hands on experience is great, and will look very nice on my resume once I graduate.

There are so many housing options on campus, it is hard to choose. I have lived in all first-year suites, upperclassmen suites and currently a single room in one of the towers, and I loved every single one for different reasons. In the suites it was great having your roommates around all the time and your own bathroom, but I also love the privacy of my single room. Our library is HUGE, with tons of study rooms/areas all throughout that are available all the time. They are really useful when it comes time to study and you can't focus in your dorm.

Students at Hofstra have courses that they are required to take to satisfy their major and general courses that satisfy university requirements. Class sizes are very small at Hofstra making it easy for students to ask their professors for assistance in the course and gives professors the opportunity to really connect with their students. Hofstra offers many different study abroad programs to many different countries during the typical Fall and Spring Semesters, but also during the January and 3 Summer Semesters.

Living on-campus at Hofstra University is an amazing experience. The dorms at Hofstra are well-maintained and are constantly being renovated. The surrounding area is very urban, as there are countless amounts of locations for shopping, dining, and the like.

Students wishing to apply to Hofstra University are asked to apply using the Common Application along with a supplemental application. Students have the option of applying early decision which shows that they are truly passionate and interested in the university. Upon visiting Hofstra University, prospective students can attend an information and campus tour, meet with an admissions counselor, or attend a class with a current Hofstra student via the "Up-Close Program." Hofstra offers a ton of options for financial aid and offers generous scholarships as well.

Good.

Amazing, I never want to go home!

The admissions team is helpful and informative!

small class size (avg 22), very accessible professors, strict major requirements for music majors, very good with accepting ap credits, lots of choice with distribution classes

cost is pricey, rooms are a good size, good food, good library, a bit of a sketchy surrounding area. very happy with my life on campus

short supplement essays, optional interview, common app, fafsa, early action and rolling admission

there are 45 credits of general requirements, and you must have a major (some require a minor). class sizes are small and professors and research are easily accessible. The grading is general fair, workload is the stereotypical college amount. there are many study abroad programs

housing is good but it takes awhile to turn on the air conditioning, cost of living is fairly high though. There are many things to do on the weekend including the mall, movies, target (there is a shuttle that can take you there). campus police are always around to keep everyone safe.

application and common application, there is early action and regular decision, a lot of money is given for scholarships of differnet types

lot of general requirements, very structured programs. However, structured to work well. faculty are AMAZING and exceptional at what they do.

housing is fabulous. rooms are huge and the resources available are endless. dining is good for a college and offers a ton of choices, but compared to the amazing restaurants (especially Italian) in the local area and in NYC, it could be better. the administration is very receptive to student feedback and they are constantly making changes according to what the students want and asking ways to continually make our experience better.

common application, early action, rolling admissions, financial aid and ample scholarships through regular application