very challenging, 132 credit hour required, academic advicing in ISyE is exceptional, classes range in sizes from 200-10, professors hold weekly office hours and respond fairly quickly to emails, a lot of research opportunities, very competitive, grading is not always fair, amazing faculty, many study abroad and work abroad programs.

Great housing, cost for atlanta is pretty good, campus offers everything you need, facilities are amazing (great student and workout facilities) and always evolving and improving, library is being updated and is a great resource, gt dinning has improved but is very redundant, neighborhood outside of campus is very ugly, everyone on campus is great, crime is very good given the fact that we are in the middle of Atlanta, overall happiness (5/10)

The academics at Tech have a a reputation for being difficult. As an Engineer Major we have mnay core requirements of lab sciences, computer sciences, mathmatics, english, and other difficult classes designed to weed out the weak. The higher level classes to take, the better the student to teacher ratio improves. Our study abroad opportunities are amazing and Tech recommends you take advantage of their resources abroad. The co-op student program, where a student works every other semester from anyways to 2 or 5 semesters at a company that hires them as an employee is one of the best opportunities Tech offers it's students.

Housing in the dorms is satisfactory. The cost of living is high but reasonable for a city like Atlanta. The Library has recently been renovated and it beautiful and a great resource. Crime and safety on campus is good, I feel very safe and the only thing I have herd about recently is stole bikes. I love my school and am very happy with all that it has to offer my fellow peers and myself.

The Georgia Tech application is very long and tedious but there is only a single essay question. When I applied during January of 2007, the essay question asked you to describe your greatest acheievement thus far in life. I enjoied this question because it left room for creativity. Early decision was only for those who exceeded Tech's expectations including High School and SAT scores. Regualr decision was due in the middle of January and I recieved my acceptance letter in the begining of April. The only scholarship I applied for was the HOPE scholarship.

Rigorous and challenging, but rewarding at the same time. Many research opportunities, small classes, mediocre academic advising on the whole. Some professors are very accessible, some are not at all. Many study abroad opportunities (GT campuses abroad, too). Grading is a little harsh, but expected. Degree requirements for engineering programs could offer more free electives/an opportunity to show interest in a second field.

Cost of living is high because it is downtown Atlanta, but I feel safe with the level of crime that has been deterred by the campus police department. Dining is fantastic in the city, the library is undergoing renovations that are very user-friendly, and campus is undergoing a make-over that is making it even better than it already is!

Application is completely electronic, clear-cut and not as unique as some other institutions, which may make the process seem less selective, but in reality its just because of the nature of our curriculum, which isn't really focused on creative writing and liberal arts/frilly essays. Early decision is nice to have, financial aid is semi-difficult to get a hold of. No interviews are conducted unless student is a prospective Presidential Scholar. I wish there were more academic scholarship opportunities.

Engineering, as a school is exceptionally tough, but well worth the effort. All programs have great Senior Capstone Courses that deal with industry-specific topics. Non-engineering majors are also well-respected, and the School of Management does a great job of combining technology and business for a well rounded degree.

The vibrant and active campus life was one thing that I did not expect to find at Georgia Tech, but was plesantly surprised when I did. Students are all very professional and down to earth, but love their school and love to have a good time. Greek Life is especially social and a great experience for me. Students have so much school pride, which makes for wonderful traditions and excellence. GT is a place where you can get the best of academics without sacrificing the full college experience. Sometimes the city of Atlanta feels kind of busy, and classes can be tough, but the people and the history at the school make it all worthwhile.

Essays, minimum math SAT score, exceptional grades and extracurriculars in high school.

2009

The academic programs at Tech are rigorous, but are completely worth it because they prepare students extremely well for employment, graduate school, or professional school. The general requirements are probably fewer than those at other schools, allowing for both breadth and depth within a particular degree program. Academic advising in my major is exceptional; each student within my department meets with his or advisor at least once semester, and as needed beyond that. All professors have regular office hours and make themselves available by appointment as well; I have found all of my professors to be accessible and approachable. I think that the research opportunities are fantastic and abundant. As a research assistant, I was given a great deal of responsibility and my own projects, but I was also provided with plenty of guidance. Students are generally more collaborative than competitive, although many classes do grade on a curve. Georgia Tech faculty are world-class and are frequently recognized for their research or expertise. Study abroad opportunities abound and include both Institute-sponsored programs and independent programs. Workload is demanding but manageable.

Housing was extremely reasonable, in terms of space, and good quality. Cost of living was a little bit high, but reasonable, since the school is in the middle of a large city that has a high cost of living. The facilities and library are great and are continually renovated and outfitted with the latest technology. Dining opportunities abound, and the campus sits in the center of the vibrant Midtown area of Atlanta. Crime is low on campus (the Georgia Tech Police Department is wonderful), although some areas surrounding campus can be somewhat unsafe at night. While there is the perception that many Georgia Tech students are unhappy, I have many friends at Tech who are happy and social - it's just a matter of who you surround yourself with.

Georgia Tech has a unique application (i.e it does not use the Common Application) that is available online. All applicants have to complete an essay, although applicants for specific programs have to complete additional essays. Georgia Tech has early notification, but does not have early decision. Students applying for the President's Scholarship Program will receive early notification of admission and have to complete additional essays; they will also be invited for an interview, if they are selected as semi-finalists. Georgia Tech has several scholarship and financial aid opportunities, including the President's Scholarship and Tech Promise Programs, although most students rely on the HOPE Scholarship, which is administered by the state of Georgia.

Excellent faculty for higher level classes and research. Sort of a grade deflation problem--grades are much lower than at other comparable schools. Great study abroad programs through Office of International Education (I studied for a summer at Tech's campus in Metz, France). Lots of research opportunities for undergrads if they will just ask their profs.

Self reported transcripts and 3 short essays. Everything is scored and then students are ranked based on that score. Admission is (or at least was when I was applying) entirely numerical.

The academic rigor and opportunities at Georgia Tech are astounding. From the 21 hours of free electives in my major to the small class sizes, I have been overwhelmingly pleased with my degree choice. My professors make themselves available and I have participated in 3 semesters of independent research with a faculty mentor. My academic advisor constantly pushes me to explore new areas within my major and to challange myself both inside and outside of the classroom. This past summer I had the opportunity to participate in a 10-week study abroad in Europe (France, Germany, Spain, Italy, Austria, The Czech Republic, Belgium, England, etc.) and was able to count all 12 hours of earned credit towards my major. The most notable professor I have studied under is Dr. John Krige.

Housing- Georgia Tech is able to offer almost all students who desire to live on campus a place to live. The majority of housing offered is apartment style with single bedrooms and shared bathrooms (between two individuals).

Cost of Living- In general, the cost of living is high in Atlanta, GA as compared to universities in surrounding more rural areas of the state. Georgia Tech does the best that it can to keep costs as low as possible for students.

Campus- Our campus is a beautiful oasis within the sea of skyscrapers that is downtown Atlanta. We have lush green space full of trees and grass.

Dining- We are currently in the process of building a new $10 million dining facility that will give students the opportunity to dine 24 hours per day on higher quality food and greater variety.

Community Relations- One of the best aspects of being situated in a thriving metropolis is the ability to network, build, and maintain community relations. Georgia Tech partners with Atlanta companies, neighborhoods, and businesses to provide students opportunites that couldn't be found outside the city.

Crime and Safety- Living in a large city comes with crime. Being aware of one's surroundings is an essential skill and can help reduce the possiblity of being a victim of campus crime. The Georgia Tech Police Department is a fanstastic resource as is the late night on-campus taxi service known as the Stingerette.

Overall Happiness- Once students find their niche, they seem to have extremely high overall happiness.

The admissions process combines an evaluation of high school academic rigor, test scores, GPA, involvement and essays. There are no early decision deadlines or interviews. Applicants who apply by October 31st are considered for the President's Scholarhip, an institute merit-based award. The regular financial aid deadline is in February.

Our academic culture is very prestigious and rigorous.

The admissions process has both early decision and regular decision. There is an application with general questions and essays. There are no interviews for admittance. The President's Scholarship is considered for anybody who applies for early decision. That scholarship gets awarded to about 100 incoming freshmen, and there are two rounds of interviews (plus an application screening) to be considered for that.

Core requirements for all students- 2 Math, 2 English, 2 Lab Science, Computer Science, Health, 2 History, 2 Humanities

Many major degree programs have a large number of requirements with little time for free electives. The high number of requirements results in many students graduating in more than 4 years. Academic Advising, research ops and study abroad ops are very available. Class sizes vary. Very large in core classes. Much smaller in some majors, particularly liberal arts. Many higher level engineering classes remain large. School is competitive and grading policy varies from course to course. many engineering classes are on a bell curve. This is much less common in liberal arts. Workload is high for most students

I think the quality of life is great, but I'm not sure if every Tech student feels this way. I have found a great group of friends, a major and classes that I am passionate about and extra-curriculars that I'm excited to be involved with. I think the Institute makes a genuine effort to make the campus, facilities, library, dining, etc. as good for students as possible. There are some problems with crime, being in midtown Atlanta, but campus is always covered by a large number of police and I feel very safe.

Application with optional essays

Early Action option available

Considered for scholarships if you apply by the early action deadline. Many scholarships require teacher recommendations and interviews.