Unique stuff: Asked for a passion-related essay. The admission process is 2 steps. First, students do the standard application, essays, short questions and recommendation letters part. At this point Olin invites about twice as many students as they are looking for to a "candidate's weekend". This involves interviewing, group interviewing, some team-building exercises, etc and the students are then given a final decision.

2009

Olin's academic program was very team and design focused. This was persistent through every class I took for four years. The requirements were demanding but within the expectations on the program. I had plenty of access to professors and research opportunities, but what meant a lot to me was the school's support for extracurricular activities, including design competitions. I also did a study abroad which was fantastic and really encouraged!

Cost of living was great, with the room scholarship and an open dining hall I could manage with just summer internships. The facilities were also brand new and I had access to the library, machine shop and labs almost 24 hrs a day. I don't recall any crime or safety issues, I coud leave my door unlocked all the time and felt safe.

Applying to Olin was very different from other colleges. I went to a one on one interview in DC, then to candidates weekend where I did a team interview, individual and team build exercise. I also got to meet professors, faculty and current students. I was put on the wait list and offered the option to defer a year which I planned to do until I got a call from the dean of admissions welcoming to the class that year. I also got a full scholarship for tuition and room as did the rest of my class.

2007

Only engineering, very difficult, but there is support all around. Project based learning -- most courses have large hands-on project component that is fantastic for developing a good engineering design, and implementation knowledge base.

Extremely safe, wonderful dorms, each room has its own bathroom.

1/2 tuition scholarship for all incoming students (full tuition when I attended). Essays and every candidate comes to visit the school and is interviewed over a period of 3 weekends.

Lots of required classes, study abroad available to all, classes at Wellesley, Brandeis, and Babson are open to Olin students. The workload is consuming, but the faculty and other students are incredibly supportive.

On campus housing, available to all students, is great and the town is very safe.

All finalists are interviewed on campus for a full day.

2006

Olin's application is unique in that selected applicants are invited to "Candidate's Weekend"-a weekend where they get to know the school and the school gets to know them better. This is important because of the strong culture at Olin-there may be many academically qualified applicants who would not be happy at Olin, and they deserve a chance to understand that before making their decisions (likewise, Olin needs to see whether the "fit" is there for those applicants as well).

Collaborative, hands-on group projects focused on understanding and exploring the fundamental principles behind Engineering and Engineering Design

Amazing. It's like home.

Standard form app, with two unique essays. After that, Admissions selects the top applicants to all come back to the campus for interviews and group exercises in a Candidate's Weekend, after which final admission decisions are made.

2006

Small class sizes, faculty who are leaders in their field and yet still willing to sit down and talk with you at a moments notice.

Best college food I have tasted, very safe campus, and nice, modern facilities.

Very interesting application questions, especially the one requiring a extra-curricular "passion". The Merit-based financial aid is also amazing.

2007

Very small classes with very accessible professors. I've had dinner at their houses, knew their kids, and always felt comfortable with them.

I really enjoyed the open-ended testing style - They managed to make the tests learning opportunities.

Housing provided was quite good.

Two stage admissions process: A standard first round selects people based on their essays etc to participate in the second round - Candidates Weekend. Invited applicants come to campus for interviews, team-building activities, personality assessment. The entire campus is involved in this process.

2007

Rigorous, well-supported (academic advisors, community), small class sizes, very accessible and approachable professors, regular research opportunities, competitive - but also collaborative, +/- grading scale, study abroad and coop opportunities, generally a heavy workload.

Campus / Facilities: immaculate (new); Dining: limited but delicious; Neighborhood: suburb, safe, need a car to get into Boston or to get to public transportation.

Unique application questions; "Candidates Weekend" where selected candidates and their families are invited to see the campus, meet current students, faculty and staff, and have on-site group and individual interviews, 50% Tuition Scholarship awarded to all admited students

2006

The workload is large, class sizes are tiny. I took 5 classes this semester. Even the fundamentals were in classes of fewer than 20, sometimes with more than one professor. The professors here are amazing. Several are on leave from schools like MIT and CalPoly to teach here.

There are a relatively large number of required classes (though most engineering majors require more than other majors anyway).

Life is amazing. We are surrounded by forest with some of the best dorm housing and campus food in the country. The cost of living is high, but because the school pays for a large portion of tuition it is quite affordable. The sense of community is by far the most beautiful thing about Olin College. The students all know each other and generally do not form the stereotypical "clicks" you see in larger schools; there is a lot of community and school-wide trust.

The Olin admission process is highly unique. It involves a highly selective first round, which involves submitting the usual common app and completing regional interviews. Most applicants are rejected at this stage. From there, a small number of the applicants proceed to the "candidate" stage. All the candidates are invited to a interview and design challenge weekend at the college (all expenses paid). The candidates are evaluated by the professors and my current students, and about half are offered admission.