“Great Undergrad”

Good number of classes

Great with financial aid

Teachers willing to help

Small number of students, divide between Bronx and Manhattan Campus

Comments

Consider what major you're likely going to choose, Fordham has many strong programs in difference areas

Fordham's academics are outstanding. It has an extensive liberal arts core, consisting of 16 classes including English, Philosophy, Economics, Mathematics, Natural Science, Fine Arts, History, and Theology. As a member of the College of Business Administration, I also have an extensive business core, which includes courses in Finance, Accounting, Statistics, Operations, Information Systems, Management, Marketing, Business Law, and Ethics. All incoming freshmen are assigned an academic advisor, and it is required that you meet with your advisor regularly throughout the year. The class sizes are medium to small, with an average size of about 20 students. All professors hold Ph.D's or other terminal degrees and have been very accessible, always giving out their emails and often even their home phone number. Grading is difficult, however if students apply themselves, they can expect to do well. Fordham offers an abundance of study abroad opportunities in many countries, and the time periods can range from weeklong study tours to full semesters abroad. The workload is significant, but not unmanageable.

On-campus housing is guaranteed all four years, and it is of good quality throughout for the most part. For New York City, the cost of living is very reasonable. The campus is one of the outstanding features of Fordham, it is a beautiful 85 acre green campus filled with large lawns and collegiate-gothic architecture. It is located in the Belmont community in the Bronx, also known as the original "Little Italy," which features great Italian dining. The library was voted one of the top five best college libraries in the country by the Princeton Review several years ago. The dining facilities are adequate, but could be larger, but the academic building are superb. The campus is completely safe, although off-campus it can be somewhat dangerous if you are alone and far away from the campus very late at night. Overall, I am very happy with the quality of life at Fordham and I am very happy that I chose to attend.

When I applied, Fordham used the Common Application, as well as an essay. The school offers an early decision deadline, which I choose to apply for. If a student applies before a certain date sometime in November, the school will let you know if you are accepted early, although you are not required to accept any earlier than normal. The school also provided the FAFSA form for student financial aid.

There is a core at our school in which students in the Business School and students in the Liberal Arts School both have to participate in. The core includes English classes as well as Theology and Philosophy requirements which are required by all students. There is a business core which includes courses such as Accounting, Marketing, Information systems, and other courses which can all be counted towards a minor in Business Administration. The core for the Liberal Arts School includes courses in science as well. The average class size is 22 at Fordham, although I have had large lecture classes where I am one of 150 (which includes a recitation once a week) and I have also been 1 of 8 students in a class. Professors are very accessible. They have their normal office hours that are required and they also are available for students if they are unable to make it to their office hours they normally have. Fordham is an incredibly competitive school, but it makes students want to work hard. The workload is whatever the students decide to put into it, but you will find that students work multiple hours per day/night on their school work. Study abroad activities are very popular at our school in which many students participate in.

Housing is great but very expensive. I have lived on campus for 2 years and have had great experiences. The campus itself is gorgeous any day of the year, rain or shine. The unique thing about our school is that we have this beautiful big green campus in the middle of New York City, specifically the borough of the Bronx. It is a nice little utopia that makes me feel like I am going to school in a suburb yet have all of the advantages of the city all around me. The food isn't the best, that is definitely something that could be improved. If we are paying such a large sum of money to go to school here, I would imagine the food would be a little bit better. The neighborhood surrounding the campus is wonderful. I personally am living off campus next year as a junior because all of my friends are getting a house together and I am looking forward to getting to know the community a lot more. There is a lot of culture and life to be explored, and I think the Bronx may be one of the more underrated boroughs in New York. Although there is crime here, there is crime anywhere you go to school. The school is very good about keeping the students aware of what is going on and what they should do in terms of safety. In terms of overall happiness, I am glad every single day that i made the decision to come to Fordham. It seems to me that a lot of students feel that way as well. Many students are happy here, you hear of very few transfers and students that are unhappy and going home all of the time.

No interviews are allowed but admissions counselors are willing to meet with the students. I believe Fordham had its own application as well as the Common Application but I do not recall the specific questions. They have early action but not early decision. I applied early action and got accepted on the first round. I do not know much about the financial aid or scholarship opportunities because I do not have either, but I have heard that the financial aid packages are great here for the students who need them. Work study is also available for students with financial aid.

There are 15 - 20 core liberal arts courses that everyone has to take and another 10 or so that are business core for business students. There is a language requirement at Fordham, which, while annoying, is very helpful to the overall academic quality of the students. As a Marketing Concentration, I have 6 additional courses on top of the Business Core, as well as 6 extra courses for a Minor in Political Science. Advising for the College of Business isn't exceptional. Class sizes are generally small. This semester I have a class with 7 students in it, and my first semester of college I had one course with 10. Generally speaking, the class size ranges from 10 - 25 students. It depends entirely on the discipline, the popularity of the professor, and the time that he/she is teaching. Grading is tough here. They like to maintain a B- / C+ average for courses, so it's hard to do well here.

Fordham University is part of the Common Application grouping of schools. There was no interview. The application process was fairly straightforward and easy. I applied early action, and was notified around Christmas time (I believe) of my acceptance to the University. Financial aid doesn't give out that much aid, at least from my perspective, yet there are scholarship opportunities depending on your SAT scores and academic record.