“Great Undergrad”

Good number of classes

Great with financial aid

Teachers willing to help

Small number of students, divide between Bronx and Manhattan Campus

Comments

Consider what major you're likely going to choose, Fordham has many strong programs in difference areas

very helpful, individual academic advising

core requirements include philosophy and theology classes

professors are very helpful and always available

grading is fair

workload is not little, but life-work-balance is definitely possible

good facilities,

food on campus is expensive,

campus is very safe,

Fordham has a very broad core that allows students to experiment in many different fields of thought. AP, IP, and previous college credit can factor into these required courses, but on the whole, Fordham students must take two theology, two philosophy, two history, two english, one math, two sciences, and one art credited course to complete this program. Many classes can overlap, fulfilling more than one need, but students, within their first two years, have to make room for these different courses. This is to assure that all students are receiving the liberal arts background that Fordham, at its core, finds so valuable. Every freshman receives an advisor upon entering campus, who then reaches out to this student to set up individual meetings during the first semester of that year. The student than can choose to retain the relationship. Students are also given advisors within their major and minors, so one never wants for more advice. Class size average is around 22 kids per class, and the student to teacher ration is 12 to 1. Professors have required office hours during the week and are always accessible by email. Research opportunities are so very easy to take part in, most professors really want to do research with undergraduate students. Not very competitive, work load can get high but always manageable, grading is, for the most part, clear. Study abroad is mainly through other school's programs, though they do offer many trips to other Fordham associated colleges abroad.

Overall a good quality of life, really nice dorms, somewhat expensive meal plans, but lots of options as far a food is concerned. Some classrooms in need of restoration and labs are in the works for updates, but overall, very good facilities for working and discussing. The library is beautiful and spacious. Neighborhood is fantastic, so wonderfully diverse and challenging to one's comfort zones. Though the Bronx gets a bad rap, it is overall a great place to attend school because of the opportunities to test why the world is the way it is. Though kids will say that there are so many security alerts and instances of threat, this entire year, we have had three security alerts in general, two dealing with crimes in the neighborhood that in no way involved Fordham students, and one dealing with a kid walking around at 3:30 in the morning by himself with his blackberry. You may have to use street smarts when walking around the Bronx at night (go in a group), but welcome to the real world.

Fordham uses the Common Application, but it also sends out a shortened online, free application for a certain number of students. This application uses the same Common App essay prompts. Interviews are not part of the application process, but all prospective students are welcome to come to campus to speak with any University official. When applying to Fordham, one can select to apply either early action or regular decision (regular decision will follow a rolling admission pattern). If selected, Fordham offers many different scholarship and financial aid packages to aid its students. The office of Financial Aid accepts the FASFA and CSS forms and connects with other offices to decide on the different scholarships available. The scholarships range in value from $7,000/year to full tuition and room and board. These are decided based on merit and can be adjusted/added-to based on need. No additional application is required.

Core classes include-- 2 English, 2 history, 1 social science, 1 natural/life science, 1 fine arts requirement, 1 globalism, 1 pluralism, 4 EP's (Eloquentia Perfectas), 2 theology, 2 philosophy, 1 senior values, 1 math

Cost of living is expensive being that we are in the heart of Manhattan, but everything can be done on a budget as the school often offers cheap outings. Housing is apartment style with a living room, kitchen and private bathroom. All furniture is included. The library has over 500,000 volumes of reference material not including out online databases. We also have a media room where we can take out movies for free for up to 3 days. The neighborhood where Fordham LINCOLN CENTER is has been rated the safest in Manhattan for three years in a row now. We are one block away from Central Park, Lincoln Center, St. Luke's Hospital and the Columbus Circle subway stop which has all the main trains that can get you ANYWHERE in the 5 boroughs.

Fordham accepts the common app. along with an essay explaining why you want to go to Fordham and why you would be a good fit for the university. There is no interview process. Early action is accepted (which is not legally binding). Financial Aid is based on the FAFSA application. Scholarships are for top applicants such as applicants with perfect SAT scores, national contenders in research projects, etc.

Fordham puts a big emphasis on the core curriculum, which takes up most of your time for freshman and sophomore year. The core is fairly broad, allowing you to take many different kinds of classes. The class sizes are very small (my largest this year has been 28), which helps the professors give you a lot of personal attention. Grading can sometimes be difficult, as the professors try to avoid grade inflation, but it makes you work harder. The workload can be heavy at times, but it is manageable. There are also lots of opportunities for study abroad, both during the year and over the summer.

Housing is decent: not horrible, but not fantastic. It's really expensive, though. Because Fordham is in New York, the cost of living can be really high. Campus is absolutely beautiful, and I love having a quiet green space in the middle of the city. Overall, I'm really happy at Fordham.

Fordham uses the online Common Application, and when I applied I did not have to do a supplement essay. It was not too difficult. For high scores on some standardized tests, they offer application fee waivers, which you would receive via email.

Core classes take a while to complete, as there are many of them (I believe it's something like 22 for the current freshman class), but overall, the core provides grounding in many topics and the knowledge needed to excel in the integration of many different subjects into a single instance. Advisors are assigned based on the EP classes chosen by the freshmen as they first register for classes, which is great because all your fellow classmates then live on the same floor, participate in that same class, and have the same advisor. It's great for bonding. With a relatively small staff (under 175) and an average class size of 22, Fordham's faculty has a lot of opportunity to interact with students in the classroom and as such, students who distinguish themselves get recommended or picked for different research projects and opportunities that the profs know.

The residence hall is fantastic: all suite style dorming with full kitchen and private bathrooms, three free laundry rooms, study lounges, an RA on each floor to care for students and enforce the rules, and a dedicated ResLife staff. The cost of living is higher than other schools, being as Fordham College Lincoln Center is in the middle of NYC, but there are always free events going on. The important thing is learning how to work the system to find as many of them as possible. Being that it IS in the middle of the city, FCLC has limited campus space, about two blocks square. A new dorm building/law school is in construction though, which should create a lot more space for the students. The upper West Side neighborhood is pretty nice, right by Columbus Circle and Central Park, and is in on of the safest precincts in NYC.

Fordham has the option of the Common App. There are not interviews, but all of the admissions pieces (essays, extracurriculars, grades, volunteer work, etc) submitted are looked at during the process. A lot of students do get some form of financial aid based on their FAFSAs, as well as receiving merit based rewards, such as the Presidential Scholars Award and the Dean's Scholars Award.

Common application

Fordham has a large core which has recently change. Basically students have to take classes in history, philosophy, science, theology, English, math, social science and foreign language in Fordham College Rose Hill. The business school requirements are slightly different. Students in Fordham College Rose Hill spend usually the first two years completing the core. Although this might seem daunting at first, I think the core allows students to explore many different subjects before settling on a major. Also, Fordham is great about accepting AP credits, which allowed me to get out of some Core classes and has given me the opportunity to double major. The class sizes at Fordham are extremely small. I only had one class with over 50 students in my entire time at Fordham. Last semester I had two classes capped at 18 students. Even the introductory classes are small. Majority of my professors know me and are always willing to meet with students. Professors will try to work with students to find the best time to meet with them. The workload is manageable. Many students study abroad in their junior year or sophomore year if you are in the business school.

The library is beautiful and a really nice place to work. Fordham has a variety of housing. Some dorms are great and brand new. (Fordham just built brand new apartment style dorms for upperclassmen which are wonderful!) However, some of the dorms are older, but they are constantly trying to improve them. The Rose Hill campus is gorgeous, an oasis in the city. The food on campus is ok, but the food off-campus is amazing. The Rose Hill campus is in the Bronx near Arthur Ave (the Little Italy of the Bronx) which has amazing Italian food! Although the Bronx gets a bad reputation in the media, I love the Bronx and think it is a great place to live. There are so many wonderful things near campus, the Botanical Gardens, the Bronx Zoo and Edgar Allen Poe's house just to name a few. It is a city, so you need to be careful walking around late at night. On campus is very safe.

When I applied to Fordham I used the common application. There are no interviews. I applied early action. I receive a scholarship based on my academic achievement in high school and my SAT scores.

Professors expect a lot out of students and there is a lot of work that goes into each class. Students are required to put in many hours of study outside of the class room in order to excel.

I filled out the common application online with the Fordham supplement which included extra essay questions. I was able to apply early action and was notified of my acceptance in December. Then my family and I had to fill out the FAFSA and College Board Profile for financial aid, which I was then eligible for in April.

We have a fairly extensive core curriculum for all students, deans offices and professors are easily to access

Common Application plus extra essays